sai

Biggest crimes in Japanese music

I was going to say "VK-only" at first, because if there is one part within the Japanese rock scene that rips people off the best, it's Visual Kei. However, on request I broadened it to all Japanese rock music. Here's the idea:

What would you call the biggest crime or rip-off within the Japanese rock scene? The way VK bands release tons of types and only give you the opportunity to get all songs when you buy all those types? The fact that most limited editions only contain a PV DVD and come in jewel cases without any sort of extras? The live-limited releases that are impossible to get? The tendency of some artists to fill half of their album with already released songs? Why do you think it's a shame and a financial crime? Rant to your heart's content!

Worst crime in japanese music is when wataru choked that one chick

also when kiwamu assaults people

1) Vinyl-only releases 

2) Overuse of eye glitter/gems/stickers (applies to visual kei)

3) Taking YEARS to release a promised album and the final product ends up being mostly shitty self-covers 

4) Not disbanding after sucking for a certain period of time

I'm sure I'll come up with more later . . . 

Crime -

When Haku stole VizeL's money,  gambled it away, joined Xrista and stole their money too lolol.

That Wataru incident was pretty horrific as well.

oh also that Himitsu Kessha Codomo A drummer who stole money and handed out  the vocalists personal information iirc

I like how only half read the OP's post. XD

Lol, I've noticed it's a common theme on MH discussion threads.

ANYWAY, I honestly think the multi-type releases in general are the worst crime in Japanese music.  Thankfully, I haven't seen such a thing catch on in the West (or am I mistaken?)

I don't care if it's 2 types, 4 Kiryu types, 6 types, or a dozen Kisaki types!

They're all rip-offs and way too obviously milking the customer.  If everything CAN be on one release, then just do it.

Now the only exception to the 2 type rule, is if one is a regular edition (standard CD) and one is a limited edition (standard CD + some kind of extra like a DVD or deluxe booklet/case).  That's okay, because at least people can make a reasonable decision.  Some people want to pay a little extra for some bonus stuff and some people don't.  Now, if it's one type with an extra PV and one type with a bonus track on the album, then that's stupid.  There's no legitimate reason to make someone buy 3 versions of a single, just to get all the tracks, the PV, and a nice booklet.  It's even worse when there's multi-type albums.  Don't make someone spend over 6000 yen (or over 100000 yen if there's 3 types!), just to get the PV AND the bonus track.  Sure, it's "smart" marketing I guess, but it's evil.  Pure evil!

Japanese CDs are expensive enough as it is.  It just makes it that much more ridiculous when diehard fans try to collect every release from a band.

Well you're buying some expensive as fuck albums then!

:P, the 0's got a bit out of control, haha.

Not like 10000 yen is anything to sneeze at tho.  Still "expensive as fuck" in my opinion, haha.

L'Arc~en~Ciel - butterfly album and all stuff of their 20th anniversary, please disband now!

Bonus track on regular albums edtions only with ugly covers and some times no attractive extra on limited editions .

gackt having a solo career

I can hate kisaki and his ways, but proportionally, the biological hazard of gakuto kamui is incomparable

not to mention he spilled some of his talent on yohio and they've probably conceived a satan together

and non-visual rock scene is not that obnoxious as far as I can tell

For VK, I hate when a certain band release a live distribution only, especially when the release is very worth to buy (Example GALEYD, they released a Live DVD that distributed only in their live). And I don't like release with many types (more than 2 types). And yeah, VK stuffs are very expensive even they are in indie label.

for non VK, I hate when a band release an exclusive release! For example, TOWER RECORDS Exclusive. I can't buy from there, since tower records cannot delivery overseas AFAIK (or I am wrong?)

For VK, I hate when a certain band release a live distribution only, especially when the release is very worth to buy (Example GALEYD, they released a Live DVD that distributed only in their live). And I don't like release with many types (more than 2 types). And yeah, VK stuffs are very expensive even they are in indie label.

for non VK, I hate when a band release an exclusive release! For example, TOWER RECORDS Exclusive. I can't buy from there, since tower records cannot delivery overseas AFAIK (or I am wrong?)

Yeah, the Decola Hopping x One Star CD that was limited to 50 copies during their live. Never getting to listen to those songs.

I HATE TOWER RECORDS!!!

I mean, technically - for an arm and a leg - you can get a deputy service to ship it to you from there . . . but that's annoying as fuck. 

I don't care if it's 2 types, 4 Kiryu types, 6 types, or a dozen Kisaki types!

They're all rip-offs and way too obviously milking the customer.  If everything CAN be on one release, then just do it.

Just quoting fitear because I want to address this point generally and because it's something I've felt like saying for a long time. I agree. This practice is horseshit and all it does is gouge fans for more money. But you know what? This is all based on a proven business model to double or even triple profits. If we all honestly want record companies to stop releasing multiple types of the same CD, then it has to no longer be profitable for them. This happens when we stop buying multiple types of the same CD! If they don't get the gains they hope to get from making multiple types, the next most logical option is to lessen the number of types made. We have to vote with our wallet guys!  :)

NOTE THAT I AM NOT SAYING DON'T BUY CD's! Support your favorite artists! But don't buy all six CD's to get a special comment DVD or some other goodie that isn't worth shit. Just buy one type. I'm sure we can organize ourselves as a fandom to make this happen. We just have to be persistent.

When bands claim they'll break up unless they make a certain number of ticket sales

Now this I really despise.

While I agree multi-type releases is freaking crap but keep in mind that the Japanese market is slightly different. Japanese fans tend to devote themselves to one band only, so while Western fans might be fans of several bands making multi-release campaigns impossible for them to keep up with. A Japanese fan may only listen to Kiryu so buying their 20 type single release isn't too hard on them because they only care about Kiryu. Also from what I understand, the multi-type release is a way to inflate sale numbers because Oricon charts don't differentiate between what types people buy. So now that fan that bought all 20 types of Kiryu's new CD pads onto that number that determines the single's ranking on the Oricon charts. No wonder Kiryu is so popular!

Don't get me wrong though, I hate this multi-type release gimmick that labels do but realizing the two items above. It makes sense how it works in that scene.

I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to live only stuff. It sucks but it's the best way for them to make the most money back to support themselves instead of losing bits and pieces to it from the distribution costs. I don't like it but I can see why bands do live onlys, get their devotees to come to the live but also not have to worry about losing anything from costs associated from nationwide distribution. 

Bringing up good old Wataru, what I found sickening were the fangirls blaming the victim. Their beautiful kawaii idol could never do something so horrible and obviously she deserved it. Who knows, maybe she was being an insufferable fangirl (just like them) that caused Wataru to snap and choke her but no one deserves to be attacked like that. It's okay though, 12012 is terrible anyway.

The entitlement issues Western fans have. I think what frustrates me the most is the jerk offs that will whine about how they NEED the latest Kiryu release. You don't NEED it to live, you don't NEED it to eat or breath. If you need it that badly then do something about it, mow lawns, sort recycle from the trash, clean your neighbor's gutters or something. Screaming and crying how it's not fair someone else bought the CD and you can't listen to it is the most obnoxious crap. I'd go Wataru on a bitch the next time someone cries at me because I won't share with them something I bought.

Juka's falsetto and being drama queen. Quit music forever but un-quite music and then quit again and quite some more but come back a month later.

The entitlement issues Western fans have. I think what frustrates me the most is the jerk offs that will whine about how they NEED the latest Kiryu release. You don't NEED it to live, you don't NEED it to eat or breath. If you need it that badly then do something about it, mow lawns, sort recycle from the trash, clean your neighbor's gutters or something. Screaming and crying how it's not fair someone else bought the CD and you can't listen to it is the most obnoxious crap. I'd go Wataru on a bitch the next time someone cries at me because I won't share with them something I bought.

Oh this, so much.

I don't get how it can be so difficult to save up for a single CD, it's just a matter of priorities.

Too many things come to mind...

-labels/bands putting lots of time into the production of personal message videos in santa costumes instead of visiting a recording studio. Then wondering why they only have face-fans.

-old indies who somehow thought it would be a great idea to never actually release the live-footage they were constantly filming but instead put some recorded track over it and crop it to 2 minutes.

-people listening to the angsty suicide/rape/drugs/failing at life songs of visual kei bands, then assuming those artists must be totally emotionally stable and professional. Then wonder/ get angry when somebody does something stupid.

-western fans totally ignoring the japanese fanbase or making really weird generalizations about it and acting like vk was actually for them. Like.. a band tours all year and works very hard to promote themselves and everybody complaining why "they didn't do shit for a year".

-kiyoharu doing *the tongue* every 20 seconds.

Too many things come to mind...

-labels/bands putting lots of time into the production of personal message videos in santa costumes instead of visiting a recording studio. Then wondering why they only have face-fans.

While I don't believe they put that much time into these videos, they do make me cringe.  :(

Especially those videos made to promote a tour (usually overseas) where the band tries to act 'cute', 'shy' and 'funny' as if their target audience consists of merely 12 year old giggling girls. MUCC, exist†trace, D, Versailles and many more bands have all done this. After watching these videos I feel violated.

While I don't believe they put that much time into these videos, they do make me cringe.  :(

Especially those videos made to promote a tour (usually overseas) where the band tries to act 'cute', 'shy' and 'funny' as if their target audience consists of merely 12 year old giggling girls. MUCC, exist†trace, D, Versailles and many more bands have all done this. After watching these videos I feel violated.

Well maybe you're right and it doesn't take long to make them.

But many bands make lots of stuff like that. (paid service to mail with your favorite bandman, selling worn shirts and personal belongings on lives, special running around town campaigns, different bonus videos for every version of your single for every cdshop etcetc) and this adds up. And you have to plan it, too.

Some of that stuff is cool and all and I totally don't mind a funny special once in a while, but only if the real music vs showing off your kawaii ratio is balanced.

And I think I know what you mean with "violated." XD Especially after reading a serious interview about the bands music, then seeing a message for overseas fans.