Pretsy

Utada Hikaru's official comeback (the end of hiatus + new stuff)

After an astronomical gamut of rumors, speculations and reports, Utada finally stepped in to announce that her hiatus will end on April 4th - and to quote Ronald@Arama briefly:

On this day two of her new songs will air live on Japanese television:  her theme song for the Asadora “Toto Nee-chan”, which has now been revealed to be titled “Hanataba wo Kimi ni”, and the new ending theme for news program “NEWS ZERO”, the title of which will be unveiled at a later date.

In addition:

In celebration of Utada’s return to the scene, her team have launched what is called the “NEW-TURN Project”, a webpage which will help both fans and industry professionals welcome her back. Every time any Utada-related products are purchased through the website, or anyone tweets the hashtag “#おかえりHIKKI” ("Welcome back HIKKI"), more cherry blossoms will bloom on the site’s main page.  A portion of the proceeds earned through this project will be donated to non-profit organizations which will plant cherry trees in areas affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake.

Arama!Japan warmly welcomes Utada Hikaru back to the Japanese music industry and encourages all those who would like to do the same to visit the “NEW-TURN Project” webpage.

http://www.utadahikaru.jp/sakura/

She will also reveal the current situation of her album songwriting process on the same day.

This is not news really but at least she herself confirmed it this time.

I have been so excited to hear any official statements for her return after all the rumors. It's looking up to be another good year in music, if not more so just because of this. Totally excited, I'm so happy for her hiatus to finally end.

I actually like this a lot, her voice sounds really great and the video is pretty cute. Is it the most exciting song? No, but it is pretty good.

It's quite nice but no, nothing amazing. I should've calmed down on the hype. Still will look forward to what else she has to release.

Kind of a bland comeback to be honest. As someone who makes really incredible ballads - Sakura, Final Distance, Deep River, Simple and Clean (original version not Kingdom Hearts version), this was way under par. Hopefully this is just a warm up single to get her feet wet to make a really big splash again.

Kind of a bland comeback to be honest. As someone who makes really incredible ballads - Sakura, Final Distance, Deep River, Simple and Clean (original version not Kingdom Hearts version), this was way under par. Hopefully this is just a warm up single to get her feet wet to make a really big splash again.

Not that I'd defend her intentions here in the first place but aside from agreeing with you, I'd add my own cents about "understanding" this lukewarm song:

1) Both songs apparently revolve around Utada's personal motherhood matters - those who are very familiar with musicians that dealt with fatherhood/motherhood surely acknowledge the fact that "coming back with a bang" is the least you could expect from them

2) She has been out from the scene for like...8 years? Japanese scenes have changed a lot during these years - the wake of singers-songwriters is still in question, since you get to see mostly collectives in the J-pop/urban scene more often than in take say, 2008. I might be getting too speculative (as a semi-dedicated fan), but I ought to believe in this paradigm shift severely affecting Utada's artistic choices post-motherhood.

3) Both songs are apparently ballads - the first one (i.e. the snippet above) is a family drama theme song, while the other one will be accompanying some news program. The former clearly says a lot about how "safe" the song should be really, as it shows there.

All in all, we could only hope in the next song being Final Distance-tier at least (I shalt let you MHers decide what kind of ballad wouldn't be out of place in some news program)

Ehh I'd rather keep listening to Sakura nagashi. Hope the other song is better.

*and crying furiously

as catty boy said, this is menopausecore.

Maybe it's just me but it's digital singles used as (ending) theme songs. Unless it were another big-ass production like NGE, I didn't really expect much of it. They're not a real comeback imo. The lead track of her new album will be so we'll see what she'll do then.