Sign in to follow this  
emmny

Your fav sentimental/super emotionally charged bands

sorry for the gross title, i couldn't think of another way to sum up the topic. there's a thread similar to this for songs but bands are a different matter imo!

envy came up on my skramz playlist on spotify and i realized that there had not been one instance that i've listened to them in the past 3 years and not had some strong emotional reaction. its not always that they move me to tears (they often do tho lol), but they put me in another place mentally. i want to get 2 envy related tattoos, and it recently dawned on me that they've gotten me through some fucking rocky years and moments. their music is so emotional but it never makes me sad, there's something so lovely about envy that i can't describe in words but it has really impacted how i view things tbh. chain wandering deeply is the most played song in my itunes library.

deadman are similar, i've only been listening to them for around 7/8 months but i can't watch live footage of deadman without being hysterical because deadman soundtracked the worst of my depression. i managed to dissociate from everyone in my life but the only person i connected to was mako, in the most cliche emo teen way i felt that he understood my pain and he was the only person that i could talk to really. i dont feel much of this anymore, but i refer to him as an angel because i feel as if he held my hand through everything. moumoku no hane to woshi wo te ni and additional cause for sorrow give me chills with every listen and i can barely listen to doris kara tegami because the lyrical content is honestly too emotionally charged and vaguely triggering for me.

personal anecdotes and sentimental cheese aside, im curious as to what bands that you feel a strong emotional connection to?  is there a band thats helped you get through some difficult moments in ur life or some shit? this thread is kind of dumb and mopey but its always fascinating what a personal connection we make to the music that matters to us so i wont judge ya hehe

I have a lot of bands currently ruined for me because of emotional attachment (went through a break up recently, and i associate a lot of music with the time we had together).

Mainly Swedish music, but there's also some Japanese bands such as deadman's in the direction of sunrise and nightlight & MOTHER by LUNA SEA. I hope I'll be able to listen to them soon enough ;-;

I also have a playlist consisting of:
Senchimentaru saiko yarou by Gossip
Chaotic resistance by LIN
Kuroiyuri no hana to XXX by Grieva
Aosora Girochin & nisshin geppo by MBHI

Because I listened to these releases very much the last winter I was in Tokyo, and it makes me reminsence about the good days over there.

Also these releases was on constant repeat on my flight back from Tokyo that same winter :P

EDIT: Realised now that I might have misunderstood the topic, but w/E

Mono song are extremely powerful and cathartic for me, without even having a single word they put me in a very emotional mood. Especially the ones in " Hymns to the Immortal Wind." Ashes in the Snow and Follow the Map, as a example.

And I seconded your thoughts on envy, Tetsuya screams are extremely emotinal in a way that I really can't remain indifferent to it. One specific song that touches me in a deep levell is "A Far-Off Reason" from the split with Yaphet Kotto and this Machine Kills. The building crescent intro just kills me.

Not being the proper band themselves, but some FAKE? and Oblivion Dust songs are really beautiful.

This'll sound cliche as hell but let me the first to say Dir en grey. Akuro no Oka, Zakuro, Hotarubi, Mushi, Undecided, Glass Skin, Namamekashiki, Ware, Yame Tote, Vanitas... is really redundant citing them but fuck.

Merry's Gekisei, also.

And outside of Japan there's Sigur Rós and Elliott Smith.

EDIT: Kagerou really put me in a STRONG emotional mood for you all know the reasons ;/

And I forget Plastic Tree, really sweet and beautiful slow songs since the beginning. Spica, Yuki Hotaru, Harusaki Sentimetal, Aoi Tori, Kuuchuu Buranko, Hello, Sanatorium, Saishuu Densha...God damn, there's so many! But the most touching for me is Andro Metamorphose.

EDIT: Realised now that I might have misunderstood the topic, but w/E

nah u understood it perfectly, thanks for sharing!

This'll sound cliche as hell but let me the first to say Dir en grey. Akuro no Oka, Zakuro, Hotarubi, Mushi, Undecided, Glass Skin, Namamekashiki, Ware, Yame Tote, Vanitas... is really redundant citing them but fuck.

dir en grey do ballads like nobody else...and i mean NOBODY else. theres no touching the acoustic break in undecided, the bassline in zakuro, the drumming in ware yami tote and the solo in vanitas & mushi.

Lycaon Lycaon Lycaon I would say xepher too cause ran but he wasnt powerful enough to get pass the instrumental and have that emotion out all the time, grieva too cause reload was way better

none jp

Bangtan boys

I just got attacked by ninjas cutting onions...

To me, Akane's bands always sounded sorrowful, even the happy songs, and their sad ones like IDEA, The Virtues, a meaningless existence and December 24 are packed with some heart-wrenching lyrics and instrumentals. I guess I'm a sucker for gloomy stuff :D

When I need a good cry, let off some steam, or just feel emotional in any way even if I have no reason to be, Plastic Tree and PLASTICZOOMS are, essentially, my "go to" emotional bands. The other bands I like to listen to who also bring this out of me are BUMP OF CHICKEN, Radwimps and Galileo Galilei. I find lyrics extremely appealing. I am drawn to lyrics most when it comes to music. I remember them easily and can connect to them, this also includes the vocal delivery of them. As well as heartfelt screams as already mentioned above. AWOI comes to mind, who I felt really delivered in every way. 9GOATS BLACK OUT was even more amazing when evoking an emotional response, imo.

I actually misread the title and thought it said "emotionally charged ballads", but I already wrote all this up, and it's still answering the question, so yeah...

It's cheesy, but X Japan's "Tears" always hits me hard because because my father passed away right before I started high school and that was around the time that I was getting into X, so that song has a lot of very strong emotions tied to it for me - especially since it's also about Yoshiki's father. It's really Toshi's voice that sells that song for me though - it's just so gentle, yet so piercing.

GLAY's "Koukai" is another really big one for me for the same reason. I've always loved the positive feel of the lyrics ( http://utau-inu.com/centj/translations/koukai_glay.htm) and the way Teru sings "Keep on, you've got to keep on walking" just has such a great mix of vulnerability and power throughout the song. I feel so motivated after listening to it.

I think the way Takuro writes about loss in his lyrics in general is very sweet. They are still sad, but they tend to deal more with treasuring what you had and staying positive as you move forward, which is something that has always connected with me since my dad's big saying for us was "Think happy thoughts", and he actually told us one day that he didn't want a funeral when he died - he just wanted us to get together and have a party celebrating his life (which, thankfully, is what we did).

You can still enjoy GLAY's music without understanding their lyrics, but when you realize what a song like "Hitohira no Jiyuu" is about it just hits so much harder.

"Hitohira no Jiyuu" ( Lyrics: http://utau-inu.com/centj/translations/hitohiranojiyuu_glay.htm )

I've never been one to really pay attention to lyrics, so everything I mention below is based purely on feelings and sound. 

THE NOVEMBERS have a good amount of songs like this for me. This one in particular tends to tug at the heart strings:

But other than a good chunk of their songs, I usually consult a playlist I made for whenever i'm feeling down or depressed. Some of the Japanese stuff on that playlist include:

My favorite song by wooderd chiarie, which is unapologetically 'radiohead-kei', and a sound that I've always been fond of:

Some early sleepy.ab (more 'radiohead-kei', haha)

number0, downy, and eksperimentoj  also have a few that I tend to spin

Also 'am:3:45' by ling tosite sigure is hands down one of my fav. songs by the band, and I've always found it highly therapeutic for these kinds of moods:

Unfortunately, I have too many songs too talk about for this topic ^^;

oh boy, I needed to stay away from this thread because sometimes I get -way- too sentimental about certain bands and I might end up posting something extremely embarassing, but I couldn't avoid posting here.

this might imply that I have a lame musical taste (which is true) since most people think they're bad and take them as another commom mainstream pop/rock band, but Matchbox Twenty has been my go-to band since I was 11 (will be 25 in a couple of weeks). they were the first band which I listened to and thought "oh, finally some music I can truly identify with and enjoy" and their music has carried me over most things and life, including certain milestones and crappy moments. they're one of the few bands I can sing along to most songs from getting to know them so well over the years, and the lyrics have always spoken to me in several ways. at this point, their music is just comforting to be around.

as far as other western bands go, The National and Sufjan Stevens are probably the only ones that come close to this sort of comfort-music status. I've developed a (good) weird thing for both over time, and listening to their stuff just takes me somewhere else and either makes me happy or validates whatever bad stuff I'm going through at the moment. I haven't been feeling well these last few days, for example, and I've noticed how I always gravitate toward these in order to just ground myself and make sense of things in my head and in life as a whole.

the same can be applied to three Japanese bands: Kagrra, B'z and LUNA SEA. I followed all of these bands closely throughout my teenage years and into adulthood, and they're just some kind of presence in my life I suppose. like, whenever I think about what I am or what I enjoy and what I identify with, especially music-wise, they're some of the things I remember as being crucial to my personality. I was bawling for two days straight after finding out Isshi had died, no shame.

I think this covers it all. lol

@saishuu I absolutely FUCKING LOVE Sufjan Stevens. I discovered him while I was in my last year of high school, so, there's a really special place in my heart. Illinoise is easily one of the most beautiful records i've listened. John Wayne Gacy Jr really touchs me in a deep level.

Since CAT cited THE NOVEMBERS, I remembered a few songs by them I really love. 

+1 on sufjan and the national. if i was still an indie head, im sure the national would have made my list. matt's crooning made me feel like i was having the existential crisis of someone in their mid 20's when i was still 14/15 LOL.

Plastic Tree for me, ALWAYS.  They were the band of my teens and basically the band that saved me through my dark days.  Andro Metamorphose is all too beautiful, both musically and lyrically, but tracks like Dona Dona, Sanatorium, Thirteenth Friday, Yume no shima, 37C, Spica also move me very deeply.  But obviously, I'm missing a good number of their songs here.

In my later high school years I found bands like THE NOVEMBERS, envy, and Mono.  For THE NOVEMBERS I love their whole To (melt into) album and my favorite is はじまりの教会, but when 今日も生きたね came out I lay down and listened to it forever and it was the song I went to when I needed it.

I like a lot of songs by envy.  A cage it falls into, Incomplete, the split they did with Jesu, and basically their Recitation and Insomniac Daze album.  I can listen to them passively, but still feel something emotional from them every time.  I can say the same for Mono too.  But for sure, completely healing music from two great bands.

edit: goddammit, i'm missing a lot of other good bands, but whatever those are my tops.

I can't really recall any music that had a profound effect on me, rather bands/artists/songs I tend to listen to in certain moods, but there are definitely bands and artists to songs of which I can relate. In Japanese music Girugamesh is one of them. Even though I'm not really in tune with what they're doing now, their earlly songs still feel like somekind of motivator for me. Enishi in particular, somehow I always felt like it was talking about me. Usually I don't bother checking translations for Japanese lyrics though or they are just hard/too bothersome to look up, but sometimes it's not even necessary. For example MUCC's Zetsubou, which I've been playing a lot or just reciting the chorus in my head lol. However I don't listen to MUCC that much either these days. Other music I have sentimental values for is probably the Beatles, or Beck that I used to listen to a lot growing up (and not so much now). And of course ambient/electronic stuff, in Japanese music notably Hora.

For me it's 針槐-halienju-,グリーヴァ,THE BLACK SWAN , D.I.D. ,NEGA, ect. Just about everything I listen to is depressing, and it makes me weep like I've seen myself die before my own eyes. Going through break ups constantly wears you down like a pair of five year old shoes. Especially a forlorn hope, MIRROR, MIRROR, Haunted Jealousy, 灰景,  灰降ル丘..., 絶望ノ朝.

@saishuu I absolutely FUCKING LOVE Sufjan Stevens. I discovered him while I was in my last year of high school, so, there's a really special place in my heart. Illinoise is easily one of the most beautiful records i've listened. John Wayne Gacy Jr really touchs me in a deep level.

John Wayne Gacy Jr. is ridiculous. Illinoise and Michigan (as well as his most recent stuff) are very dear records to me personally. I discovered him by the time I got into college and it's been a great experience getting to know his music since then. I don't even mind his religious undertones every once in a while. lol

Just about everything I listen to is depressing

same hah I woudln't say 'everything' tho but almost

The usual stuff I listent to when having a depressing day, on period + making myself even more depressed are either AvelCain (especially Jiseki), MBHI's gray forest and Lycaon's Anemone or more aggressive songs from for example DEZERT or D.I.D JamesR pretty much sumed it up for me why

To me, Akane's bands always sounded sorrowful, even the happy songs, and their sad ones like IDEA, The Virtues, a meaningless existence and December 24 are packed with some heart-wrenching lyrics and instrumentals. I guess I'm a sucker for gloomy stuff :D

I've to say Diru Ballads, 9GB and Tenten always help me to get thru a difficult day and bands like DoF and Chanty always cheer me up after I'm done with a depressing playlist lol

Some instances:

Back when my father passed away, the only place where I could solace for my deep pains of loss etc. were bands that I and him used to listen to together during my childhood, e.g.:

This (cheesy-ish) ballad has its own emotional charge that makes me miss my dad even more :(

While most might loathe my choices, Clannad's soundtrack (especially that from After Story-sequel) triggers even much more depressive emotions I had during another loss  in my life: my pet dog (frenchie). At this point I really, really, really felt like willing to die - seeing as this exact creature has helped me out all the time throughout my life - be it just joy or even sorrows of my antisocial, outcast-ish life in my hometown. While the said anime bases most of its plot on some lousy high school romance drama, After Story has certain symbolic attributes which have a special meaning in my life - and even to this day I cannot watch or even listen to this soundtrack throughout without taking a few sedatives (i.e. I relate to this way too much, sorry):

I think I mentioned D'espairsRay in some other thread already, so I'll go with some other bands which have helped me throughout my life.

Placebo copy LAPKO was a huge thing for me when I was 12-14 or something. Angsty teenager, sexuality, why am I different, QQ life is hard; so the melancholy and the lyrics of the songs struck me quite hard.

Also Pariisin Kevät. Oh gosh. I didn't really pay attention to the Finnish music scene and I was really into Japanese music when I was 15'ish - then I stumbled upon this band. I got their first CD and got through some of the songs and thought that they sound quite nice and different from the regular pop bands in Finland. Then I just pretty much started crying when this track begun.

After that, I've been following them and I think I've teared up at some part of their every album. Most of their songs have entangled with some events and hardships in my life, so they will always be special for me.

Sign in to follow this