YuyoDrift

Does VK do it for you anymore?

I'm really loving the current scene!!!! The evolution of visual kei throughout its history has been quite fascinating.

The more bands I discover and find myself enjoying, the more I remember how much I love visual kei!

It does now and again. It's the kind of music I enjoy in bursts. If I go through every band in the scene in a short period of time I get burned out. But bands like KEEL and Arlequin keep me anchored firmly in the scene.

Perhaps the formation/reunion of superbands are the answer to our cries lol

Arlequin and Jiluka are are my recent interests. Dezert are slowly growing. slowly.

The Visual Kei scene is now 30-something years old, what musical movement was still exciting and relevant after that long?

The visual scene that I got into in my early teens is long dead. Some of the bands have reunited and a few stayed together the whole way, but since the scene's glory days, many generations of bands have come and gone. The music that the bands I liked were making at the time was it, it was the music. But that was a long time ago and now, everything is different. These new records by older bands aren't going to light the world on fire; the most they're going to do is make fans from back in the day happy and think about how it was back then.

It's gone, you can't go back. And none of that is a bad thing, given enough time everything changes in life. 

The vast majority of newer bands are more-or-less hobbyists doing it for fun (and that's fine). Starting a visual kei band in 2016 is no different than starting a hardcore punk band in 2016 or a goth band in 2016 or an emo band in 2016. If you're a young artist looking to do something new, why would you try to do it within the confines of a very old genre? You'd have to have a solid and original vision for your sound that would set you apart from everything both around you and that came before you. No easy task.

"The Japanese music scene has a lot of visual kei bands, but their music is not very interesting to me. They cannot make good sounds and music is more like a hobby for them. I cannot feel their soul in the music." - Sugizo

I started to listen VK 10 years ago with bands like DIR EN GREY, D'espairsRay, D, lynch, RENTRER EN SOI, the GazettE, Kagerou, Plastic Tree, 12012, SUICIDE ALI, Phantasmagoria. Then, I fell in love with UNDERCODE PRODUCTION and I used to listen all of those bands and ex-bands of different members. I discovered old-school like this. I always wanted to listen more. I searched all bands that could exists.

Then, there were 2010's and a lot of electro-pop-rock bands with colorful clothes, happy songs with a lot of effects and filters and stupid smiles. I think Visual Kei died at this moment.

Nowadays, they are still a lot of bands like those but, in the same time, there a new trend : metalcore / djent. There are too many bands who do the same thing.

When a new band formed, it's electro-pop-rock or metalcore/djent.

Growing up, my tastes have changed too. Actually, I'm searching sincere music with a truly atmosphere. I love when musicians are skilled, yeah, but I love when they can create a sincere atmopshere. Originality is a good thing too. I like when musicians are able to create a world playing their music.

This is something I can't find in Visual kei these days. So... I'm searching else were and I loose my big interest to this scene.

However, I continue to follow some bands like Matenrou Opera, Kiryu, Ains' bands, DADAROMA, THE BLACK SWAN, Mediena or all of aie's project, kazu's project, Ryo's projects, etc.

Visual Kei is dead. I mean this movement composed of sincere musicians, who love what they do and who are passionate about their music.

On the other hand, Visual Kei is a business and it's not dead. The industry is well done. labels know what people want to listen and what people want to see. They are really good with their marketing policy. they can create a lot of (bad) bands who sounds exactly the same, promote them, and make them successful. Actually, Visual Kei creates bands with random inartistic musicians. it's not a problem. They are good looking and there is a sound producer who compose the music. On stage, they use back vocals, playback etc. but it's not really important because they are kawai and they are fun...

Nowadays, Visual Kei is like a fast food. It's pretty enjoyable... good when you're listening to it. But...after few listenings, we are still "hungry". Because existing bands don't score as much former big bands with sincerity, originality etc.

And to illustrate my opinion, here is a really interresting interview : http://aramatheydidnt.livejournal.com/642314.html

Actually, I'm searching sincere music with a truly atmosphere. I love when musicians are skilled, yeah, but I love when they can create a sincere atmopshere. Originality is a good thing too. I like when musicians are able to create a world playing their music.

This is something I can't find in Visual kei these days. So... I'm searching else were and I loose my big interest to this scene.

[...]

Visual Kei is dead. I mean this movement composed of sincere musicians, who love what they do and who are passionate about their music.

[...]

Nowadays, Visual Kei is like a fast food. It's pretty enjoyable... good when you're listening to it. But...after few listenings, we are still "hungry". Because existing bands don't score as much former big bands with sincerity, originality etc.

And how do you propose to measure sincerity?

I find it unnerving that if you're in a 90s vk band that happened to be making dreadful music you could still gloriously play this "sincerity" or "passion" card; but if you're doing well in today's vk scene suddenly it's all because you have great bells and whistles + good at being a shameless sellout because, alas, you've arrived 10 years late and the ethereal spirit of vk no longer permeates your soul.

Every music scene changes over time. If visual kei still sounded like what it did in the '90s or even the early 2000s (pre-2010s), I wouldn't like it because it'd just be the same music being pumped out. And in my opinion there was some great and decent bands back then, but then there were also a lot of shitty bands too... It's nice to see the scene change whether from the individual's perspective it's better or worse musically.

I would say there are at least a decent number of bands that still have the "soul of visual kei" in them and are passionate about what they do. Just because the scene they're playing music in isn't like '90s doesn't mean they don't have any soul.

If the scene's current music isn't to your liking, it'll probably change again. 

I find it unnerving that if you're in a 90s vk band that happened to be making dreadful music you could still gloriously play this "sincerity" or "passion" card; but if you're doing well in today's vk scene suddenly it's all because you have great bells and whistles + good at being a shameless sellout because, alas, you've arrived 10 years late and the ethereal spirit of vk no longer permeates your soul.

I think it's pretty obvious.

They are few clues in the interview I shared.

I think every VK fan is well aware of this Ô so famous article. But what about today? is it still the same? We don't know what really happens behind close doors. And I don't really care either. I'm not going to throw away my VK cds or watch every suspicious move that I could find in my mind. Idk, maybe VK -"new VK"- is not for you anymore, and you should find something else to match your interest and go back later when the sound will change? You still have your oldies to listen to anw. The "stupid smiles" and colorful clothes were also there 10 years ago so I don't really get this point.

I think every VK fan is well aware of this Ô so famous article. But what about today? is it still the same?

and that's assuming this Mr. SATOH dude even exists XD i read it 6 years ago and remember thinking to myself how this is possibly the most biased, unprofessional, exaggerated, dubious piece of interview transcript that i've ever come across. i take it about as seriously as stuff that tanuki churns out.

Now that Yuuki seems to be still going in the scene, hell yeah!

VK does it to me from behind. And I like it.

Thank you @hiroki for writing down my exact thoughts. There's no doubt that some artists and bands in the scene are in it for other reasons than just the pure passion in music. But just because a band has been formed after 2010, doesn't instantly mean they are plastic sellouts only in it for the glory and fame.

I can't get into the newer bands, since most of them are screamo nowadays. Not my thing. Plus, many of them are uninspired, copying off of other bands.

Don't say that. It makes me lose respect for people when they say that word. Not offending you, it's just easier to make words like that the last in your vocabulary.

These newer gen VK artists, at this point in the scene, have the inspiration and influences by previous bands. What they do with all that, is up to them. You will hear the similarities perhaps in the way they play, but it's not an exact duplicate. Make sure you listen to them very carefully for those little spins they add to the sound, as a lot of us are quick to dismiss them.

As for the majority that are "uninspired", keep in mind that VK scene is shitting out more bands than ever. It's up to us (even if we make up a small fraction) to make sure that those who aspire to be great, are noticed. Only flock to the bands that are in it to improve their skills and themselves, and not their image.

It's a shame what happened to Shounenki, and I'm still pretty suprised that actually happened, as they were honestly good by today's VK standards.

Seem like they cant except change. Like is back then it was djent, pop rock, electronic then it became hot messness would they be saying the samething. Its kinda funny too because Kyo (dir en grey, La:sadie), Kyoka (aliene ma riage) has moved on and embraced modern music as well as rivial bands like dezert, grieva, and avelcain. From a psychological perspective now there is nothing super going on in their lives so they have no emotional attachment to music these days. Like after i lost my virginity to my first love, i listen to  D'espairsRay or i started of my career. Could be as simple as holding on to youth.

Kyouka has hardly strayed from his antics in Aliene, if anything, Insanity Injection is even more chaotic and reminiscent of the 90's than Aliene Ma'riage itself was. So I do not understand where you pulled that argument out of.

I do not see what's so bad about not accepting change. You do not have to support the 'ethereal Visual Kei spirit' if you do not want to and leave everyone be who prefers this sound and image. That's why preferences exist, and thank God that they do.

Kyouka has hardly strayed from his antics in Aliene, if anything, Insanity Injection is even more chaotic and reminiscent of the 90's than Aliene Ma'riage itself was. So I do not understand where you pulled that argument out of.

I do not see what's so bad about not accepting change. You do not have to support the 'ethereal Visual Kei spirit' if you do not want to and leave everyone be who prefers this sound and image. That's why preferences exist, and thank God that they do.

The riffage is totally new school to me and so is the muddy "shoat vocals and that part," + chaos system, and that drasla oblat song. As for chaotic Ingestion is more chaotic then anything vk so that's no a factor.  

Most of Visual Kei music today has lost the hypnotic power that many old school VK bands had in their music. I have mentioned it before that certain characterics of what most of us call old school Visual Kei have hypnotic effect (at least for me), the drumming style, guitar melodies, singing style, etc. Today most VK bands don't have that anymore.

La'Mule - Sterilization

Nao's melody has a wicked hypnotic effect.

As I've been getting older, I've been losing interest in newer VK.  However, I'm not saying all new bands aren't good it's just that most lack a certain finesse the older bands had.  I mainly like 90's vk, and there's quite a few good bands from 2000-2010.  Another thing is I don't have time to keep up with all the new releases etc..  Eitherway though, the VK classics will never die for me.

Most of Visual Kei music today has lost the hypnotic power that many old school VK bands had in their music. I have mentioned it before that certain characterics of what most of us call old school Visual Kei have hypnotic effect (at least for me), the drumming style, guitar melodies, singing style, etc. Today most VK bands don't have that anymore.

La'Mule - Sterilization

Nao's melody has a wicked hypnotic effect.

sounds like more crud old or todays

hypnotic would be

I've only been really into VK since 2010, and I still really love it. I am not likely to "burn out" because I don't listen to songs/albums on repeat, and I still listen to non-VK artists. I also lack the time/willingness to seek out new bands to listen to, so maybe I'm not as exposed to "shitty" bands as others are.. I have a bunch that I like and I tend to stick with them. Even within the limited group of bands I listen to, there are bands with interesting ideas, or great lyrics, or vocalists with really nice/intriguing voices, etc.

I cannot stand 80s/90s VK though. I haven't liked anything I've heard (full disclosure: I haven't heard very much). A big part of it might be the production values (or, lack of good-quality rips). Modern VK just sounds so much better to me, from a technical quality standpoint.. (and I don't even care if the vocalist has been auto-tuned like hell, as long as it makes them *sound* pleasant enough to my ear.) I also really hate the look of old school VK bands.. the makeup and hair just look bad to me (plus, lack of photoshop). 

I use too many brackets.

Many bands today that I have listened to go for monotonous riffs that don't stand out and sometimes, the synth almost completely drowns out the bass and guitars in songs.

First off, I just want to clarify that I'm not going to try and make any claims about which era of vk is objectively "better." I got into it in the early 2000's, so for me, that time period will always be rosy and nostalgic and I have an attachment for it that I will probably never have for anything else. Due le quartz was my first love and has stayed with me stronger than anyone else, not because I think other bands' music isn't comparable in quality, but because I fell for them before others.

So with that disclaimer aside, I definitely don't feel the same way (on average) about modern vk. I'm not saying there aren't good bands - there are some brilliant ones out there - but if I look at the fraction of popular 2000's bands I was a fairly strong fan of, vs the fraction of today's bands that I'm a strong fan of, the latter is definitely smaller. Whether that's because there are more shitty bands, or just fewer bands whose style appeals to me personally, I don't know. The overall spirit and mood has certainly changed somewhat, and if you like it, that's totally great for you! But I'm not obligated to feel the same way. My interest definitely plummeted around the end of the last decade when a lot of the active bands that were closest to my heart disbanded (like D'espairsRay and Rentrer en Soi), and after that happened, I always felt like I had a hard time finding other bands that I felt were anywhere close to their level. There were popular rising stars like Lycaon that everybody else seemed to love, and I just thought they were okay and didn't feel the same hype about them that others did.

I also think it's telling that most of my favorite modern bands are revival/cover bands like Gossip and Grieva, bands comprised of older musicians like Lin, or at least bands whose music I find in some way reminiscent of a decade ago. I'm not doing this on purpose; it's not like I say to myself "I'm only going to like old sounding bands!", but those end up being the ones I'm most attracted to. If they weren't here, I'd still be listening to vk in general (there are bands like Mejibray and Codomo Dragon that aren't old-school at all that I also really like), but probably not with the same overall enthusiasm.

tl;dr the scene changes, my tastes don't change so much, and I'm grateful there are still bands around that play music that's up my alley.

I've had my break from the VK scene and have come back full-force for the past year searching the piles and piles of new bands for some hidden gems. There are some good groups out there music wise, you just gotta go in with an open mind.

No, the music isn't the problem for me, the thing i'm bored shitless about are the visuals. I keep seeing the same stuff over and over, like these bands are not even trying anymore. It's called visual kei so of course I'm gonna be judging what these people are wearing and every time I see someone who has blatantly 'borrowed' a look from mejibray I roll my eyes back so far I can almost see my brain.

Now, I'm not some insane Meji-fangirl. Far from it, I've only just got into their music after finding out theyre awesome live. But i've followed their looks for a few years now and they've always caught my attention for having some fantastic looks and i've noticed quite a few other groups/member basically doing whatever Meto wore last release or sporting whatever hairstyle Koichi threw away last week, I spotted a new band where this member had an painfully similar look to one of  Meto(2014) down to the contacts and hairstyle and he even went as far as doing the whole 'I'm not going to speak, I'll whisper to you and you speak for me' thing.  Of course VK bands have been recycling looks for decades and pretty much nobody is original, but  I just feel like the scene has become extremely stale look wise, not just music wise. People are afraid of doing their own thing and just sport whatever has been done and tested. Heck, even Dir En Grey who are pretty much out of the 'visual' side of the genre look better than most bands out there. A little bit of eyeliner speaks volumes, eh Kyo? Xaa Xaa only have a super subtle look and yet it's effective.  I also realise that fashion trends come and go and the band i used as an example (mejibray) seem to be setting the trends. But still.  Anyone wants to correct me, feel free. This is just what i'm seeing on my side.

I hope I don't get my head cut off for my views on the scene, I just really needed to vent.

tl;dr There's plenty of bands doing the kind of music that I enjoy, but it's time to get creative , people.