CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #32: What would you like the ORZ (Official Reviewers) focus on more in the next year?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #31  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should the ORZ (Official Reviewers) focus on more in the next year?

• More reviews!
    • More variety in reviews! (focus on VK more)
    • More variety in reviews! (focus on non-VK more)
    • More variety in reviews! (focus on older music as well)
    • Recruitment! (get more members on the team!)
    • Promotion!
    • Articles that aren't reviews but are still music-related.
    • No other ideas.
    • Other (please elaborate)

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #31: What would you like the ORZ (Official Reviewers) focus on more in the next year? Multiple choice poll!

For the uninitiated, Our Official Review Team aka 'ORZ' is:

@beni
@CAT5
@doombox
@fitear1590
@Jigsaw9
@Peace Heavy mk II
@ShanethVarosa
@Zeus

giphy.gif

To submit a poll for the MH POLL OF THE WEEK, P.M. either @CAT5 or @beni with your poll question, choices, and state whether it's multiple choice or not.

more reviewers = more reviews? and variety I think.

I know the sites I frequent for reviews typically has 5-7 reviewers for one genre and can pump out 8-12 reviews weekly. You guys seem to have a daunting task to try to cover multiple genres, it is pretty good right now for the team you guys have.

I voted for "more reviews" and "articles that aren't reviews".

And since I don't necessarily mean 'do more work' I'd encourage the review team to do more reviews of shorter releases. I get why you'd gravitate toward reviews of full-lengths but I'd also enjoy short ~200 word reviews of singles that act as a jumping off point for discussion.

alright I will also try to contribute a few more reviews.... but I alread got good news. I got soooooon a new interview. from a not known band but for some of us totally cool to check out ^_^.. no visual kei. just normal rock.

Hmm, I never really thought about this. Voted on 'articles that aren't reviews etc' and 'no other ideas' because 1) more variety in the content is always welcome (reviews are not always the best format to discuss music imo, so having something else would be good) and 2) I can't really give any new ideas on to how upgrade it. the current format hasn't really bothered me. I'd appreaciate some fresh stuff from the team though. :D

I just wanna say thanks to everyone who has commented or voted on the poll for this week! Look out for some cool things headed your way before the end of this year.

I voted for more non-VK reviews, since I am already into the VK scene, I'm always looking for new artists to follow.

However, the best of the month lists are a favorite of mine now since I get a ton of new artist exposure through that meduim, so it mostly satiates that desire.

I'll be honest and say that you should rather expose otherwise very hidden non-vk side of this forum (inb4 someone really assumes that MH's fame as "Japanese music based forum" should be vk only because "Jayrawwkk = VK") OR hire more folks that specialize in non-vk-friendlier department. Just a sign of caution, certain staff members (hint: I've discussed this with you :)).

Worst case scenario: if we continued to push VK further, we will resort to being an "one trick pony"-forum instead and die out slowly along with other vk-based sites (a.k.a sink down into J-rock Updater-tier irrelevance).

Oh, let's also mention the fact that most folks who ditched MH are currently favoring JPS forums - that should say a lot.

I'll be honest and say that you should rather expose otherwise very hidden non-vk side of this forum (inb4 someone really assumes that MH's fame as "Japanese music based forum" should be vk only because "Jayrawwkk = VK") OR hire more folks that specialize in non-vk-friendlier department. Just a sign of caution, certain staff members (hint: I've discussed this with you :)).

Worst case scenario: if we continued to push VK further, we will resort to being an "one trick pony"-forum instead and die out slowly along with other vk-based sites (a.k.a sink down into J-rock Updater-tier irrelevance).

Oh, let's also mention the fact that most folks who ditched MH are currently favoring JPS forums - that should say a lot.

, thank you for your reply, but could you explain how we're "push[ing]" VK too much? Let's look at some statistics of our recent ORZ output (featured reviews and BNT lists).

In the last 20 featured reviews (#42-61), we've had 12 "non-VK" reviews (or 11, if Wagakki Band can count as visual). "Non-VK" reviews are slightly more prevalent. The percentage is even more skewed in favor of "non-VK" if you look at just our last 10 reviews (7:3).

Plus, ever since implementing the genre categorization in the BNT lists, we have anywhere from 2-4 entire sections that are strictly "non-VK" in any given month. The totals for these sections always outnumber the VK section. For instance, in our September BNT, there were 7 VK songs, compared to 14 total tracks in other genres/categories. In August, it was 8 VK songs to 26 "non-VK".

Because of this, I don't think our output suggests that MH/ORZ is a "one trick VK pony". If anything, we're trying to beef up our VK coverage to restore some balance.

We're definitely open to suggestions (that's why @CAT5 opened this poll!), but with these stats in mind now, do you still think we're pushing VK too much? Did you realize that the numbers were actually this way?

I would actually love to see some reviewers who focus solely on Visual Kei. I've been missing a lot of reviews from Visual Kei releases and have seen very little of them as opposed to Japanese indies or metalcore bands.

There are more Visual Kei reviews in the non-staff members section, but if I can be entirely honest, they contain a lot of bias and fangirling and aren't quite 'professional.'

, thank you for your reply, but could you explain how we're "push[ing]" VK too much? Let's look at some statistics of our recent ORZ output (featured reviews and BNT lists).

In the last 20 featured reviews (#42-61), we've had 12 "non-VK" reviews (or 11, if Wagakki Band can count as visual). "Non-VK" reviews are slightly more prevalent. The percentage is even more skewed in favor of "non-VK" if you look at just our last 10 reviews (7:3).

Plus, ever since implementing the genre categorization in the BNT lists, we have anywhere from 2-4 entire sections that are strictly "non-VK" in any given month. The totals for these sections always outnumber the VK section. For instance, in our September BNT, there were 7 VK songs, compared to 14 total tracks in other genres/categories. In August, it was 8 VK songs to 26 "non-VK".

Because of this, I don't think our output suggests that MH/ORZ is a "one trick VK pony". If anything, we're trying to beef up our VK coverage to restore some balance.

We're definitely open to suggestions (that's why @CAT5 opened this poll!), but with these stats in mind now, do you still think we're pushing VK too much? Did you realize that the numbers were actually this way?

Oh, well - it seemed that this side wasn't exposed that much from my POV. Just me again as I mentioned, so my apologies once again.

Regarding what I said earlier, I still won't take my words back in terms of recruiting those with full specialization in non-vk areas. Besides, another idea which you could consider: what about staff doing "Flashback reviews" (i.e. older stuff) once in a while? I attempted to do a few but then again, I suck at doing professionally qualifiable reviews so it's your ballgame now. :) This might actually interest even those members around here who USED to enjoy vk in the past and get connected with the rest of our community.

And the vk which get reviewed are always the boring mainstream bands..

Would love to see more of the vkei bands lesser people care about.

For example I took care of dieS and E.T

staff didn't even wrote anything about dieS. Not even a reply. E.T I can understand... but I just take them as for example of also good band but somebody just need to write about them. So we got many more artist which are great but got skipped.

It ,an be even reviews about older releases doesn't need to be about the recent releases only.

I try to write down more reviews / band special reviews soon for MH. Need to be in the mood first.

I voted for "Recruitment", I believe the team is great, but some releases were "lost", maybe the time of each one has, or the taste from each other.

I don't pick "more vk" or "non-vk", cos I know staff team has different tastes for music, and can't force to make a review about a band they don't like.

Firstly, thank you very much to everyone who took a moment to vote in this poll and/or leave comments! It's greatly appreciated! We have been looking over all of your suggestions and will take them all into consideration! :3

Secondly, I would like to address a few things as co-leader of the Official Review Team:

There are more Visual Kei reviews in the non-staff members section, but if I can be entirely honest, they contain a lot of bias and fangirling and aren't quite 'professional.'

I attempted to do a few but then again, I suck at doing professionally qualifiable reviews so it's your ballgame now. :)

Honestly, none of us are 'professionals'. Personally, I feel like tossing this word around is a bit misleading. I speak for all of the ORZ members when I say that this is simply a hobby of ours. None of us get paid for doing this. Our levels of writing are all over the place, but we work hard at this, we support each other, and we just try to have fun with it.

I would also have to disagree with the notion that the non-staff reviews are any "less than". All reviews are inherently biased and trust me, the staff 'fangirl' just as hard over music as anyone else. I don't see anything wrong with being enthusiastic about a release or an artist. The only difference between the staff reviews and the normal reviews is that we're as an organized, team effort. A team effort that almost any MH member could take part in if they were willing to put in the work. But at the end of the day, both staff and non-staff reviews are equally important and appreciated! Our goal is not to be divisive.

Lastly, while we would like to cover a broader spectrum of music, we don't force any of our members to write about music that they don't want to. Where would be the fun in that? The kind of reviews that get written depends on the taste of the individual member. We are planning a recruitment campaign sometime in the foreseeable future, so depending on the results, we will see what kind of reviews we can provide.

Honestly, none of us are 'professionals'. Personally, I feel like tossing this word around is a bit misleading. I speak for all of the ORZ members when I say that this is simply a hobby of ours. None of us get paid for doing this. Our levels of writing are all over the place, but we work hard at this, we support each other, and we just try to have fun with it.

I meant it more as in how the review team is indeed organized and can maintain their bias towards their favourite music at a certain neutral level. It's not full of profanities, internet language and general sloppy writing. Professionalism doesn't necessarily have to mean that someone receives payment or certain praise on a professional level, for me it simply means that someone is serious about their performance, whether or not it's intended for certain cause. I am not naming names, but the review section from the regular members is in my eyes, all over the place — there's no structure and it's rather chaotic because it feels like people don't even take themselves seriously in certain reviews, or the bands for all that matters.

But perhaps that's just me. I enjoy structure and a neat environment, and with that I'd rather look at the staff's review section because it's properly organized.

Not really wanting to write something here on MH for a while because my mind feels fuckt up.

plopping in.

A good reviewer can review even stuff they don't like. and with the last requirement we needed to review something which we even didn't know and might even disliked.. so.

Yes the Staff also should review stuff they are not interested in or even not really like. You also can review stuff neutral or whatever. its not that difficult. Even I did do that sometimes in the past...

Once I feel better, I will be back with reviews too, even if I'm not inside the review staff..... first I need to be in the mood to even listen to music.... and in the mood to write about stuff again.

I am not naming names, but the review section from the regular members is in my eyes, all over the place — there's no structure and it's rather chaotic because it feels like people don't even take themselves seriously in certain reviews, or the bands for all that matters.

But perhaps that's just me. I enjoy structure and a neat environment, and with that I'd rather look at the staff's review section because it's properly organized.

I see what you mean, and I completely understand your preference, but at the same time, I think the non-staff reviews are perfectly fine. We're a diverse forum with people form all over the world, of different backgrounds and different music tastes - so if it's "all over the place", then I would say good to that! Personally, I appreciate anyone who's willing to come and share their musical perspectives on here. It's great to see so many different outlooks, writing styles, and personalities in the reviews.

Not really wanting to write something here on MH for a while because my mind feels fuckt up.

A good reviewer can review even stuff they don't like. and with the last requirement we needed to review something which we even didn't know and might even disliked.. so.

Yes the Staff also should review stuff they are not interested in or even not really like. You also can review stuff neutral or whatever. its not that difficult. Even I did do that sometimes in the past...

We're open to taking suggestions for reviews, but we try to stick to reviewing music that we personally feel strongly about, whether positive, negative, or what have you. Otherwise, writing reviews could become a soulless chore.

Personally, I'd rather read reviews by someone who has a genuine interest in the music and is invested in it to some degree. For instance, I am not too big on visual kei, so while I'm sure some people might still be interested in my thoughts on certain VK releases, I don't feel my perspective on the matter would be as relevant as some others here. I think most of my fellow ORZ members also feel the same.

I voted for "more reviews" and "articles that aren't reviews".

And since I don't necessarily mean 'do more work' I'd encourage the review team to do more reviews of shorter releases. I get why you'd gravitate toward reviews of full-lengths but I'd also enjoy short ~200 word reviews of singles that act as a jumping off point for discussion.

I would say more articles that aren't reviews but are music-related.

I like reviews, but I tend to not read most of them.

Stay tuned! :) We've actually been working on some things for the last few months that you will really like. One should be ready relatively soon.