Sign in to follow this  
MikuKun

Why did people love NEGA so much? Same with Jin?

Just curious why people are so devoted and what they would recommend to me so I could hear what made NEGA so great and what make's The Black Swan good. I personally like pretty singing more than screaming and that's why I always will love Vistlip over some of the "Hard-Core Visual Kei" groups. What separated NEGA from that group? Also at the same time I do enjoy harder more abrasive music but I do like it when the vocalist can also sing beautifully, so any explanation would be great and any suggestions to listen to. I prefer full length album's also, thank's!  

My question was always: why don't people love ネガ? For me, they were one of the most charismatic and emotionally sustained bands around, and in their legacy they still are. Both visually as well as musically. I could simply explain them with the song 'guilt trip' on the album GRAVE OF THE SACRIFICE, which is likely the most recommended album by them. I've had the privilege of hearing this track live and I still can't get over how far it reached within me. 

I think they stand out because being founded in 2004, there weren't that many visual kei bands around with this image, or at least not in the spotlights. Kotekote had somewhat died out at the time and the mid-2000's were a place for lighter visual kei music like your mentioned vistlip, GUILD, An Cafe, etc. — ネガ broke through that image with being rancid and edgy, and I think quickly took the limelight with their aestethics. And oh, they've had the pleasure of bringing one of the best drummers of visual kei deeper into the scene for as long as it lasted, I'm still sad Yuu left (although I can totally imagine him playing jazz-piano in some bar).

It hurts me to see how many people had and still have criticism on Jin's vocal abilities, however. There was a time when VANITAS was released, people were trashtalking him so much that he actually personally apologized on his ameblo for his performances on the album. But I love Jin, I love how lively he is, how bubbly of a character he has off-stage opposed of how he acts on the stage, how kind he is to his bands and fans. Not to mention, I love his music, simply put. For me, he is one of those guys who can undoubtedly cross that bridge toward someone's personal life-experiences and feelings.

I've always loved them because of Jin's harsh and raw vocals. I can't really suggest something completely set in stone because I have no favourites and I usually prefer the least favoured materials in general (example = my most liked tracks from them is the ballads). I'd say check out their PV 'muddy cult.' (see spoiler~) It's where I started, iirc. Not that screamo but also not that pretty (in every sense x'D). Oh yeah, I also favour 'VANITAS' over their first album, 'GRAVE OF THE SACRIFICE' so there's another thing why my suggestions should go unnoticed. ='D

warning (kinda): nsfw!

My favorite releases were their early stuff (Abase, Quadrangle, Dole, & Hole), so the album I'd recc to most people is probably Negativism. But Rocketeer's probably right that many fans would point you to Grave of the Sacrifice too.

I've always felt that Jin was the weakest link in the band, technically. But he had great emotion and connection to the music. He could sell it, imo. And they maintained a unique sound for the time, their image was definitely darker that most of the bands I could find in the scene at that time too. Not sure if that had more to do with me being a foreign fan or just that's how it really was for vk just then. But it made them really stand out and memorable to a lot of people. 

Thank you all for the answer's, I love when people talk about something they are so passionate about! I'll try out some of their stuff and give feedback! 

Meh I wasn't that wild about them, really. Although their "Vanitas" album was pretty damn awesome.

What would be an album by them to get started on? Preferably one with more singing than screaming and interesting guitar work, I'll get into the heavier stuff later. So any help?

They were a dark, heavy band, each album had a mix of heavy songs and ballads. But it sounds like you'll probably appreciate later work like VANITAS, if you appreciate any of it at all. Iirc, that one probably had the most clean vocals, though I think most of us agree, that's not Jin's strong suit. 

Their "muddy cult" PV got my attention when it was released (I love bloody stuff), I also fell in love with the song. At that time I was also quite depressed, so listening to their music in the bus made me feel like I was in a different emotional reality, because the music is so gloomy. I loved their dark and brutal image, it was something I needed in visual kei, because so many bands chose the safe route of not adding anything shocking to their work. Jin's voice isn't that bad, because it's not edited to make it sound better, he sings exactly the same in reality, he didn't disappoint me (also, he's very charismatic on stage!). There are many vocalists who sound great on the studio recordings, but like crap on the lives. I would rather get the real thing. He may not be perfect, but I just like his voice, it's unique among all these vk dudes who sing in a very high tone and sound similar to each other.

I like them because when I saw them live, Jin was trying to do the overdramatic thing with screaming/crying and hitting himself. Everyone in the audience was dead silent and I was there giggling like a god damn schoolgirl. It was good in a special way :'D

Out of all the bands in the VK scene I listened to back when I found VK generally above tolerable Nega stood out the most for the atmosphere they managed to develop on their early releases. After they lost Hiroki they started getting a bit less dreamy and a bit more streamlined but even then they were still more appealing to me than the other bands. While they did have some issues (that triggered drumkit and the reliance on backwards whooshy noises to bridge verses and choruses) I still believe they had a lot of talent for their kind of band (the type that lasts as long as their money does) which is no doubt why they managed to stick around, and I do own all of their CDs physically (aside from the live dists) and wouldn't get rid of any for the world.

I'd personally recommend starting with their first EP. It's their most original.

why don't people love ネガ?

Because Jin's voice makes me feel like a slug is crawling up my ear to the beat of an angry stenographer banging out the details of the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev court case. For me, they're like Lycaon and Dali: stunning costumes, but I can't stand their music.

LMAO people actually like nega? im surprised, lol its a shame the japanese fans didnt feel the same way.

i think they have some interesting music and have produced some exceptional singles and some great ballads but i can barely listen to the stuff i dont like; so i see nega as being utterly amazing or flat out unlistenable with no neutral ground.

i think nega could have done a lot better if their production wasnt so shitty and they had a bassist that would actually do something. im on the fence about san's guitar work as i often find it too clunky/repetitive/basic but it does the job while writing some surprisingly brutal riffs. surprisingly i dont mind jin, i think his vocals are an acquired taste and i dont think he's too bad of a vocalist, i just wish he used dirty vocals for whole sections instead of using the high screams here and there.i thought yuu was the standout of the band, i loved his drumming (i think its just me?!).

i like TBS because they sound similar to nega, just a little less 2000's nu metal and a lot, lot more polished (its a shame yuu's not drumming).

The Faded Film of Japanese Sadness, Dole and Hole are played quite often here. Fantastic releases and classics as far as "visual kei" goes. Well, to me at least. Music-wise I actually like everything up until Haunted Jealousy, but both Haunted Jealousy and Grave of the Sacrifice suffers from weak productions and the weak, plasticy, godawful drum sound keeps me from listening to them. How anyone can listen to music with drums sounding like that is beyond me.

I don't mind Jin either. I quite like him. He's not a good vocalist or anything, but I couldn't really care less as he totally fits the (earlier) material very well and does more than enough to please me. Sounds cool.

My question was always: why don't people love ネガ? For me, they were one of the most charismatic and emotionally sustained bands around, and in their legacy they still are. Both visually as well as musically. I could simply explain them with the song 'guilt trip' on the album GRAVE OF THE SACRIFICE, which is likely the most recommended album by them. I've had the privilege of hearing this track live and I still can't get over how far it reached within me. 

I think they stand out because being founded in 2004, there weren't that many visual kei bands around with this image, or at least not in the spotlights. Kotekote had somewhat died out at the time and the mid-2000's were a place for lighter visual kei music like your mentioned vistlip, GUILD, An Cafe, etc. — ネガ broke through that image with being rancid and edgy, and I think quickly took the limelight with their aestethics. And oh, they've had the pleasure of bringing one of the best drummers of visual kei deeper into the scene for as long as it lasted, I'm still sad Yuu left (although I can totally imagine him playing jazz-piano in some bar).

It hurts me to see how many people had and still have criticism on Jin's vocal abilities, however. There was a time when VANITAS was released, people were trashtalking him so much that he actually personally apologized on his ameblo for his performances on the album. But I love Jin, I love how lively he is, how bubbly of a character he has off-stage opposed of how he acts on the stage, how kind he is to his bands and fans. Not to mention, I love his music, simply put. For me, he is one of those guys who can undoubtedly cross that bridge toward someone's personal life-experiences and feelings.

Totally quoting this!

I always assumed people who listen to nega are like weird body fluid fetishists who throw up on themselves in the shower or something

don't kinkshame

They had some pretty rad early releases. Their first EP was awesome, then quadrangle etc... They were really good in terms of creating powerchord themes. The vocals though.. I mean it's even hard to call them vocals because they're so far off.

I always assumed people who listen to nega are like weird body fluid fetishists who throw up on themselves in the shower or something

where is the lie

!?!??!!

Sign in to follow this