Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

Akatsuki no Yona (or Yona of the Dawn) just aired its final ep today. I'm gonna miss this show dearly. This is without a doubt the best shojo fantasy anime I've seen. Although the first 5 eps was a slow burn, it was necessary to build up the characters. Yona especially because she's not annoying or stupid like many other shojo protagonists cough*Fushigi Yuugi*cough. Seeing her going from a sheltered bratty princess to a strong willed & empathetic character makes her development one of the most memorable to me. Also, don't ever piss her off. She won't hesitate to kill you!

imtmkx.jpgxbzii0.jpg

Aside from that, another character that deserves a mention is Soo-won. His presence makes the story quite a complex one because of his actions. After killing Yona's father (this isn't a spoiler by any means), the show almost makes you think he's the villain, however with so much emphasis put into his character, all the things he does afterwards puts him in a very gray area. Due to the fact that Yona's father was a peacekeeping king, his kingdom was in a dying state and Soo-won didn't want the kingdom in shambles. So impossible to hate on a guy like him who truly cares about the state of the kingdom. This very much reminds me of Char Aznable from Mobile Suit Gundam, someone who's not a villain but a sympathetic antagonist.

The only cons I have on this show is the slow paced episodes in the beginning and a few comedic moments fell flat, but other than that, this is ranked very high on my list. It may as well be on my top 5 of 2015 anime. It would be very cruel not to have a 2nd season since it really deserves it. Hopefully they'll announce it soon.

9/10

Akatsuki no Yona (or Yona of the Dawn) just aired its final ep today. I'm gonna miss this show dearly. This is without a doubt the best shojo fantasy anime I've seen. Although the first 5 eps was a slow burn, it was necessary to build up the characters. Yona especially because she's not annoying or stupid like many other shojo protagonists cough*Fushigi Yuugi*cough. Seeing her going from a sheltered bratty princess to a strong willed & empathetic character makes her development one of the most memorable to me. Also, don't ever piss her off. She won't hesitate to kill you!

imtmkx.jpgxbzii0.jpg

Aside from that, another character that deserves a mention is Soo-won. His presence makes the story quite a complex one because of his actions. After killing Yona's father (this isn't a spoiler by any means), the show almost makes you think he's the villain, however with so much emphasis put into his character, all the things he does afterwards puts him in a very gray area. Due to the fact that Yona's father was a peacekeeping king, his kingdom was in a dying state and Soo-won didn't want the kingdom in shambles. So impossible to hate on a guy like him who truly cares about the state of the kingdom. This very much reminds me of Char Aznable from Mobile Suit Gundam, someone who's not a villain but a sympathetic antagonist.

The only cons I have on this show is the slow paced episodes in the beginning and a few comedic moments fell flat, but other than that, this is ranked very high on my list. It may as well be on my top 5 of 2015 anime. It would be very cruel not to have a 2nd season since it really deserves it. Hopefully they'll announce it soon.

9/10

I was hoping this was a double-cour. Regardless, I agree with everything you say! Yona ftw.

imtmkx.jpgxbzii0.jpg

9/10

YES. Exactly my thoughts! If this doesn't get another season I'm gonna riot XD

Recently started watched Kill la Kill. I've been out of anime for more than a good whole year. No regrets in starting to watch it, many regrets in being so late to watch it.

Finished Shigatsu and damn that ending was perfect.

I already figured that she was gonna die, the build up to it and everything was way to strong for her to live past the surgery and for everything to be alright... It was for sure sad, but the ending was better for it. Oh man the whole sequence where hes on stage doing his thing and then in his head hes imagining playing with Kaori at the same time was just great and pretty much gave me goose bumps, especially when she started to disappear and at that moment he just instinctively knew that she was gone

Honestly I'm just all over this show, I know that there's other people who don't like it for whatever reasons , but I find it hard to give it anything less than a 9/10 because I truly enjoyed every single second of it. The only thing stopping it from the perfect score is the sometimes out of place slap stick comedy moments but even those didn't really bother that much in fact more than a few times I liked the placement of them, they did a good job of relieving some of the intense drama that was happening to the characters.

Another anime finished today...

Parasyte

Wow, I don't know where to begin since my thoughts are a jumbled mess right now. Truly a show that broke the shonen barriers. I've read the manga for Parasyte almost 10 years ago. When the news broke out that it was gonna be adapted into an anime, I couldn't believe it. I was worried at first the episode count was going to be 24 total because the manga had over 60 chapters. After going 4 eps in, all my doubts have been cleared. This show is one faithful adaptation to its source. The only majors changes were the updated settings and character designs, other than that, everything else remains the same. The writing is definitely the series' strong suit. If anyone has read Orson Scott Card books such as Ender's Game, you can tell the author for Parasyte took a page from Card's writing style, and that is human condition. Although every ep has been stellar throughout, the episode that stood out to me the most was ep18. I can't really explain it in words other than it hit me emotionally unexpectedly. Since the show has ended, there are still questions left unanswered such the parasites' origins, but I think it's best to leave it as a mystery rather than finding out that it's something lame. Plus, this is Izumi's journey co-existing with migi to experience life. This is an anime that shouldn't be missed. I really wish more shows go for the unconventional anime standards by taking more risks like this. While it's a start, it leaves me somewhat optimistic for what's about to come in the future.

10/10

Honestly, I can't remember when was the last time I have a perfect rating to an anime. It may have been Ano Natsu de Matteru. :o

Parasyte is an awesome series that did lots of things right in ways other series wouldn't even dare to thread on. I've never read the manga, but I'm tempted to give it a go after all.

That's about all I have to say. Now on to finish all these other things because I'm way too behind.

2 more shows just ended...

Death Parade

The premise was very interesting. It reminds me of Hell Girl a little bit with its tone except this is where people's humanity get pushed into the corner by making them play games (oh and they're already dead). Some episodes scattered throughout the show were stellar. Ep3 is my personal favorite as it was heartwarming and light. The execution on eps 8-9 was incredible which sent shivers down in my spine. The last ep however I felt the emotions presented here was over the top. I think this dialogue in the screenshot below pretty much teaches us the important lesson getting that theme across.

bff2tk.jpg

Rating: 7/10

Gundam: G no Reconguista

Honestly, I was passively watching this so I didn't understand the overall scope of the story. It's a show that definitely needs attention to the detail where every dialogue counts. I recommend watching Gundam: G no Reconguista as a marathon in a few days rather than a weekly basis because there's so much that happens randomly that you won't be able to keep up. Tomino has a very unconventional style of directing anime as this was evident by Zeta Gundam, so this will be a challenging watch for many casual viewers. On the other hand, the animation is entirely hand drawn except for the space elevator. It has the nostalgia tone that feels like the 80s. The mecha action choreography is exciting to watch since it's directed by Tomino. I'm gonna have to rewatch this in a batch of eps where I can invest attention.

Rating: 7/10 .... for now.

Spot on assessments flame! especially for Gundam... It's very hard to follow at times, I was even watching some episodes more than once and still had a hard time grasping everything in the story at times. I definitely agree it's probably better to watch all at once rather than weekly so things are still fresh in the memory from episode to episode. I'll definitely have to re-watch it some time, I was really loving the hand drawn art style. the only thing is that I was under the impression that this was gonna be a 4cour series, do you think that there's any chance that they'd do another season? I mean AGE got like 50 episodes and that shit was awful, you'd think sunrise would gives this more than one season just like all their other Gundam series from the past ten years (SEED, 00, AGE).

Also I was wondering what you thought about Build Fighters TRY? I personally love it and I think it might be better than the first season for me, because lately I've noticed that I like a lot more of the characters from TRY than I did the first season... Also Try Burning Gundam is so much cooler than Star Build Strike Gundam XD

I'm hype that it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be a third season where the main characters go to the open tournament (world championship singles), and I can go ahead and pretty much guess that it's gonna be characters from the first season against characters from TRY :)

I highly doubt we'll get a continuation cuz that end felt like an actual ending. Based on Sunrise's history with Gundam tv series, compilation movies follow sometime afterwards. I don't think Tomino can do another Gundam series or sequel since he's in his 80s. The stress might to be too much for him. :(

At the moment, I think the best way to understand G-Reco without rewatching it all over again is to listen to the podcast Gundamn@MAHQ since they cover it in depth or read the reviews at mahq.

As for Build Fighters TRY, I'm enjoying it a lot but I'm a bit more in favor for the first series. My biggest issue with TRY is the amount of jerk opponents the Try Fighter team has to face. Sure they change to nicer people after the battle is over but come on guys. It gets old after the 2nd time they pull this off. A sequel is possible since there's still a national tournament. The series keeps teasing Sei by mentioning his name or showing a lower half of his face. lol

just finished Tokyo Ghoul root A and it was pretty meh i have to say. the fights lacked impact, lots of characters lacked emotional attachement, and some that were cool before were pretty much non-existent (Yomo, Gourmet, Uta) or completely annoying in this season (*coughtoukacough*), while a bunch of other side-characters get thrown in without any clue to their motivation or reason. i hope next season gets A LOT better

also, are we supposed to give a crap about hide jumping the gun? I know he's supposed to mean a bit to kaneki, but as for the story so far he's barely been in it, just randomly tagging along...

just finished Tokyo Ghoul root A and it was pretty meh i have to say. the fights lacked impact, lots of characters lacked emotional attachement, and some that were cool before were pretty much non-existent (Yomo, Gourmet, Uta) or completely annoying in this season (*coughtoukacough*), while a bunch of other side-characters get thrown in without any clue to their motivation or reason. i hope next season gets A LOT better

also, are we supposed to give a crap about hide jumping the gun? I know he's supposed to mean a bit to kaneki, but as for the story so far he's barely been in it, just randomly tagging along...

ooh, finally someone´s sharing my opinion about touka. i strongly hate that kinda fem characters. but of root a overall, then i guess that´s exactly the kind of sh#t you get once something gets a tad too trendy. the new season should be more about ccg. which is really interesting.

anyway, i last watched rahxephon. was never too fond of it, hence the reason i didn´t watch all of it. all those 'moaning' heroines, not enough action. visual style 6/10 though

Honestly y'all should just go ahead and read the manga for Tokyo Ghoul... the anime adaption is kinda awful compared to the manga XD

So this. Well, true in most cases. xD

Edit: I am watching One Piece atm, only started it ahaha.

So this. Well, true in most cases. xD

Edit: I am watching One Piece atm, only started it ahaha.

Holy hell! Good luck with getting through that 600+ episode marathon... So worth it tho XD

Durarara!!x2 Shou

Another show ended... for now. Durarara is a strange one, but in a entertaining way. It feels like each scenario presented in each ep are pieces to a big upcoming puzzle. It was a bit of a tough watch in the beginning due to the large cast of characters and it's been years since I saw the first show. The ending though, that was quite a cliffhanger there. Next season will air around July.

?/10

Durarara!!x2 Shou

Another show ended... for now. Durarara is a strange one, but in a entertaining way. It feels like each scenario presented in each ep are pieces to a big upcoming puzzle. It was a bit of a tough watch in the beginning due to the large cast of characters and it's been years since I saw the first show. The ending though, that was quite a cliffhanger there. Next season will air around July.

?/10

It's because technically it is a puzzle, isn't it? This season adapted volumes 4-6 of the light novels, and the first season did 1-3. There's another 7 volumes to be adapted in the next two seasons, and the second arc of the light novels (which is a year after the first arc I believe) is already on its 3rd (?) volume. (which means another potential anime adaptation in the works if they feel like it)

Can't wait for the January season ._. it's going to be good.

-----

Finished Garo and Diamond no Ace last night. Garo ended up being better than expected. Nothing too great or special, but a fun watch I guess. Daiya is just like any other sportsanime (without superhero powers and attacks). If you like it you'll continue to watch it, if you don't care for the sports-type ones, then don't bother. I really liked it, and Eijun's really grown on me as a main character. I'm kind of ready for the next season but I'm also kind of not because I know what's going to happen.

Gundam Build Fighters Try is finally done! Very fun show overall. The team dynamic aspect was an interesting take of the show as opposed to the solo/partnership that was done in the first one. Sekai is definitely better as a fighter than Reiji and the Build Burning Gundam is freakin OP. I seriously wonder if there's a sequel in the works. Either way, if you like plastic toys battling out each other, give this show a watch!

Rating: 8/10

This season has been a blast. Not 1 or 2 but 3 really good shows ended!

First and foremost... let me get this off my chest...

i2xyPae.jpg

Stuff I've watched in the past weeks. (Both OVAs and series.):

• Kill la Kill
  • No. 6
  • Space Dandy
  • Five Centimeters Per Second
  • R.O.D.
  • Eureka Seven
  • Bartender

Other than that? It's really hard for me to get into new anime. I try to avoid anything longer than 25 episodes and I'm pretty sure the only series that's coming out that will break that rule is the return of Digimon. I'm still on the fence about God Eater though.

I'm going to quote everything I watched and agreed with and maybe add a bit of my own.

Finished Garo and Diamond no Ace last night. Garo ended up being better than expected. Nothing too great or special, but a fun watch I guess. Daiya is just like any other sportsanime (without superhero powers and attacks). If you like it you'll continue to watch it, if you don't care for the sports-type ones, then don't bother. I really liked it, and Eijun's really grown on me as a main character. I'm kind of ready for the next season but I'm also kind of not because I know what's going to happen.

I agree with your assessment on Garo. It was a good ride, but the kind that took a little too long to get started and also had that weird curveball with his armor and his mother at the end that they didn't explain. I also like Diamond no Ace and I'm hyped for the new season because I don't know what's going to happen. I thought it would be a while until the next season but it's coming out this week! Much excite.

Also do you know how many episodes this second season will cover?

ooh, finally someone´s sharing my opinion about touka. i strongly hate that kinda fem characters. but of root a overall, then i guess that´s exactly the kind of sh#t you get once something gets a tad too trendy. the new season should be more about ccg. which is really interesting.

Wait wait wait.

Kaneki isn't dead? There's another season coming out? Somebody pls explain that terrible ending to me.

However, I feel the same about this season. It felt incomplete with many plot points they didn't resolve and one too many ambiguous endings. Plus, I feel like it changed from a horror story about survival to some grimdark shounen romp featuring Kaneki. 5/10 come back refreshed next season or don't come back at all.

2 more shows just ended...

Death Parade

The premise was very interesting. It reminds me of Hell Girl a little bit with its tone except this is where people's humanity get pushed into the corner by making them play games (oh and they're already dead). Some episodes scattered throughout the show were stellar. Ep3 is my personal favorite as it was heartwarming and light. The execution on eps 8-9 was incredible which sent shivers down in my spine. The last ep however I felt the emotions presented here was over the top. I think this dialogue in the screenshot below pretty much teaches us the important lesson getting that theme across.

bff2tk.jpg

Rating: 7/10

I agree with your assessment on Death Parade. Perhaps one of the more interesting new anime I picked up this season. I didn't find a lot I enjoyed (even though it seems like quite the opposite), so this was very welcome.

Now it's time for all the other stuff I watched:

Shinmai Maou no Testament: Battle harem with more censoring than Terraformars? Count me out. Y'all already know I don't like harems but I can bear it if it's a good story. And to be fair, the story for this was kinda nice...when they get to it. However, I can't tell what the fuck is going on half the time because it's LIGHTBEAMS EVERYWHERE. And if that wasn't bad enough, there's this very suspect wincest theme underneath it all of "oh yes onii-chan we're not related but you're my older brother now massage my tits to relieve this curse that bonds us eternally". If you need unconventional fap material, wait for the uncensoreds.

Absolute Duo: By far the better of the two battle harems this season but it's still not that good. Kokonoe Tor is a bitch who apologizes for everything that isn't his fault, amasses a harem and then chooses wifey, and won't kill the man that tried to both kill him and wifey because LOL POWER. This would have been so much better if they replaced him with Arata from Trinity Seven. Removing splinters from two year olds is more entertaining than following this to the end.

Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: A story about an alien who can move at Mach 20 who teaches a class of rejected kids assassination techniques to kill him before he destroys the planet in one year? Much more interesting story premise than a lot of other stuff I saw this season. The show is a little goofy and the animation a bit data, but everything is crisp and clean and the story does a good job making you want more each week. I can dig it.

Sengoku Musou: Anime adaptation of the war between the Tokugawa and Toyotomi clans after the fall of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. No surprises here if you're a nerd about Japanese history but it was a good adaptation from beginning to end. My only complaint is that the ending was just "...and that ended the Warring Era". No shit it did now what happened to the survivors? -_______-