Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

I don't know if I would put it in my top ten of all time, but definitely top ten from that year. Yeah definitely underrated show

Stuff I'm watching season....

Akame ga Kill!

It's been very faithful to its source. The violence was slightly toned down a bit but not to an irritating degree. Can't wait to see more.

Aldnoah.Zero

Pretty good start so far. I do have one major problem though, the main character. He's stoic like a robot, reacts completely unnatural to situations that requires emotions, and takes on this expositional stance where he tells the audience what's happening. "Missiles are coming", no shit son, we were shown that 10 seconds ago. Here's how to do a story, you SHOW us, NOT tell us. Don't insult the viewer's intelligence. If the plot twist of the main guy happens to be a robot, that would make sense. In all honesty though, I find Slaine to be the most interesting out of everyone introduced by far. His struggles are real and I would've preferred him as the main protagonist instead. He's like a better execuation of Kira Yamato from Gundam SEED. I swear if they ship that princess girl and the stoic guy, I'm gonna flip the table. Seeing this is only 12 eps, I am worried about it being rushed near the end.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Biggest surprise and best show I've seen of the season. I've skimmed through the manga a year back but was never committed. Watching this now has me hooked. It's a nice mix of shojo art style in shonen-like show. If you like Bakumen, give this a chance. Also, Chiyo is sooooo fucking adorable. *_*

Argevollen

Eh, typical mecha formula. The 2nd ep's pacing was so awful that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'll still be watching this though.

Tokyo ESP

Interesting first ep. I know the manga begins as an origin story, so I'm guess the 2nd ep will take us back to the past Gungrave style? I hope I'm not the only guy who thinks this is Japan's take on Xmen.

Persona 4G

New Anime+ anyone?

Aldnoah.Zero

Pretty good start so far. I do have one major problem though, the main character. He's stoic like a robot, reacts completely unnatural to situations that requires emotions, and takes on this expositional stance where he tells the audience what's happening. "Missiles are coming", no shit son, we were shown that 10 seconds ago. Here's how to do a story, you SHOW us, NOT tell us. Don't insult the viewer's intelligence. If the plot twist of the main guy happens to be a robot, that would make sense. In all honesty though, I find Slaine to be the most interesting out of everyone introduced by far. His struggles are real and I would've preferred him as the main protagonist instead. He's like a better execuation of Kira Yamato from Gundam SEED. I swear if they ship that princess girl and the stoic guy, I'm gonna flip the table. Seeing this is only 12 eps, I am worried about it being rushed near the end.

Just to tell you, that kid wasn't telling the audience that "missiles are coming" he was informing his friends who were busy talking. He's usually seen to be looking around, taking in his surroundings, rather than partaking in the conversations of the people around him. So obviously he'd notice things faster than others. There's people like him in real life. Kids who don't act emotionally to stuff. Kids who just look around and "people watch." I'd even daresay I'm one of those. Cars might crash only a short distance away from me but I would remain totally calm. I've been in stuff where everyone's freaking out, and I'm the only one with a clear mind. It's actually interesting to me. I'd like to know why he's like that and how him growing up got him to become like that. Don't immediately write it off as a bad character. Unless they don't work it out (which I doubt will happen this time around) there's no reason why an apathetic kid like him couldn't make an interesting lead. (Being as "unnaturally emotional" as you say he is, makes for no "OMFG JUST GO ALREADY AND DO IT" moments because he has no reason no to. He'd just do the things regular mecha are usually full of.)

Either way, this is also just my point of view on it. And we can't say for sure what direction they'll both go in anyway. If there's no character development for either at all, I'll be sure to admit my wrong, but for now both Inaho and Slain have my attention.

Started Akame ga Kill for no good reason but I was amused by the first episode. Was kind of underwhelmed by Re:Hamatora. Hope they change it around a bit and it'll be better for the next episodes.

Tokyo Ghoul is your average: "I don't want this, I want to return to normal wahhhh. But I will get used to it, and use this new  power to protect humanity" s***  (oh wait, SM is the same XD) + gore = I will continue watching until it  bores me or piss me off XD

He's not really like that though. Kid's pretty useless for a good load of the manga chapters. I don't really think he uses his "new power" go protect humanity either. Well, not as far as the manga's translated.

Love it though. Hope they won't mess up the anime.

Thanks^^, I actually didn't know there is a manga (or didn't care enough) but now I'm obsessed with it. Reading chapter 119 and yeah, he is not even near of protecting humanity XP

Since they left out some important scenes, the first episode might be misleading (Or was misleading in my case). Though, the anime isn't of interest for me anymore. Second episode was boring..what is with this weird coloring (sky blue blood? ), I wanted some bloody gory stuff with much red in there *haha* 

I'll stick with the manga.

Thanks^^, I actually didn't know there is a manga (or didn't care enough) but now I'm obsessed with it. Reading chapter 119 and yeah, he is not even near of protecting humanity XP

Since they left out some important scenes, the first episode might be misleading (Or was misleading in my case). Though, the anime isn't of interest for me anymore. Second episode was boring..what is with this weird coloring (sky blue blood? ), I wanted some bloody gory stuff with much red in there *haha*

I'll stick with the manga.

The manga is pretty great. Glad to see you like it as much as I do :)

I'll continue the anime most likely. If only to see the awesome scenes with Shuu, Ayato, Suzuya, and Nishiki.

Blah blah blah... too long to quote.

So let me get this straight, if your family member or friend died right in front of you, would you still have a clear state of mind? o.O

I don't buy this whole informing his friends because as I said before, exposition, and that was just one example out of the many. There was even more exposition on the 2nd ep that made me roll my eyes around.

I'm gonna take back the robot statement and came to the conclusion that the main character is literally a retard. I don't mean that as slang sense, but mentally handicapped. It's clear he's oblivious to some of the most common sense situations, show no sense of care to his deceased friend, and stone faced entirely. If there was a good reason like a traumatic past that made him the way he behaves like that, then those important details should've been shown within the first two eps, even if its a second of it. Otherwise, the writing as completely failed to make me cheer for this protagonist. Sure some people like that exist in the real world but, real world =/= fictional storytelling.

That's my 2 cents based on first impressions. Take it or leave it, I don't care. I'm not gonna press this issue any further. I came across one forum post on MAL that pretty much sums up my overall thoughts so far.

Sorry I agree with Kaye on this one, I think you're looking too into it honestly (nitpick much?) . I think the first two episodes were decent and I saw nothing Wrong with Inaho's character so far... I can understand the reaction to the missle as being apart of his character archetype and it wasn't really that stupid to me. And the thing about his friend happened at the end of the episode there hasn't been time to react to the death yet for one and for two he was obviously in disbelief when it happened and bounced back rather quickly but you have to think of the situation at hand, pretty much there will be time for mourning later but right now they got shit to do. I can totally find these reactions to be believable for his character.

I would also like to point out that backstory will most likely be coming later I would think. Not all things will be clear at the beginning of a series and I disagree with your notion of his backstory being revealed in the first two episodes. I think that would have made his character seem a little less interesting, right now he's more interesting because we simply don't know what his story is.

That just my opinion of course :/ right now I'm enjoying this show so far and seems to be promising. Also digging the soundtrack :D

So let me get this straight, if your family member or friend died right in front of you, would you still have a clear state of mind? o.O

I don't buy this whole informing his friends because as I said before, exposition, and that was just one example out of the many. There was even more exposition on the 2nd ep that made me roll my eyes around.

I'm gonna take back the robot statement and came to the conclusion that the main character is literally a retard. I don't mean that as slang sense, but mentally handicapped. It's clear he's oblivious to some of the most common sense situations, show no sense of care to his deceased friend, and stone faced entirely. If there was a good reason like a traumatic past that made him the way he behaves like that, then those important details should've been shown within the first two eps, even if its a second of it. Otherwise, the writing as completely failed to make me cheer for this protagonist. Sure some people like that exist in the real world but, real world =/= fictional storytelling.

That's my 2 cents based on first impressions. Take it or leave it, I don't care. I'm not gonna press this issue any further. I came across one forum post on MAL that pretty much sums up my overall thoughts so far.

I'm not here to delve into my own private life but yeah, I've had enough situations in which I'm the levelheaded one. Why can't you just get it some people are just like that? Well, guess I'm just unnatural then too?

As Saku already mentioned, his friend died near the end. There's still time for him to mourn over that loss. But would you rather have had him screaming it out and breaking down in the middle of the place? No, then you'd say the main character is weak, and you wouldn't understand why he's the main either. He is obviously just levelheaded (or in a state of shock), knowing that freaking out won't change the outcome of what has already happened (I might not have had a friend killed in front of my eyes, but I've been through the whole thing of seeing someone almost die, and freaking out on such moments is a big no-no. Everyone freaking out isn't going to help the person in trouble). Rather put that energy and sense of seeing his friend die into a way to save all those others than give up on the spot.

You also mentioned that a traumatic past should have been revealed in the first episode? Whatfor? If you get to know a person in real life, do you know all of their secrets right away? No, you grow along with them. You get to know them. And you learn. The reason why Inaho is how he is will surely show up sooner or later. Why rush that?

Ah, we all have opinions, and I understand that you wouldn't like him. Your reasons are just a little superficial and maybe even ridiculous to me. From a "robot" to "retarded" just because he's not a crybaby or isn't showing any emotions? Come on...

"Sure some people like that exist in the real world but, real world =/= fictional storytelling"

As far as I know fictional storytelling is still writing characters in whatever way the people writing want them to be. If they want an apathetic kid with a lack of emotional reactions (as there are people in the world) then that's their choice. Or do we all need to be the same?

And the thing about his friend happened at the end of the episode there hasn't been time to react to the death yet for one and for two he was obviously in disbelief when it happened and bounced back rather quickly but you have to think of the situation at hand, pretty much there will be time for mourning later but right now they got shit to do. I can totally find these reactions to be believable for his character.

This. The kid could freak out and mourn which would most likely result in the death of everyone in the car, or /do/ something to protect them. 

Anyway, I'm currently watching a bunch.

Airing:

1. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya Zwei!

2. Free! -Eternal Summer-

3. PSYCHO-PASS New Edit Version

4. Barakamon

5. Sabagebu

Ks74iJ6.jpg

6. Himegoto

7. Ao Haru Ride

8. Akame ga Kill!

9. Aldnoah.Zero

10. Glasslip

11. Dramatical Murder (though I'm still not sure why I'm watching this)

12. Haikyuu!!

gUT2mD7.jpg

13. Hanayamata

14. Fairy Tail (2014)

15. Yama no Susume season 2

16. Rail Wars

17. Love Stage!!

18. Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?

19. Bakumatsu Rock

20. Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita.

21. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

22. Tokyo ESP

23. Tokyo Ghoul (<3333333333333)

24. Zankyou no Terror

25. Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen

26. Shin Strange+

27. Mahou Shoujo Taisen

28. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

29. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

30. Kuroshitsuji Book of Circus

Not airing:

31. Sidonia no Kishi

^ OMG is that what that list looks like typed out.... because I'm watching all of those right now as well (with the exception of sidonia since I already finished) and damn that looks like a lot more than I thought it was XD we have a problem Cupcakes :/

Started Ao Haru Ride and I'm liking it a lot, it's hitting all the good spots that I look for in a Shoujo/Romance/Slice show so far :D and then there's DRAMAtical Murder... I'm not really sure whats going on or why I'm actually watching this but I'll stick with it I guess. Akame ga Kill! is the last show I started and it's great. simply loved all of it, from the gore to the comedic moments all the way to the fanservice, it's just really good.

This. The kid could freak out and mourn which would most likely result in the death of everyone in the car, or /do/ something to protect them. 

Anyway, I'm currently watching a bunch.

Airing:

1. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya Zwei!

2. Free! -Eternal Summer-

3. PSYCHO-PASS New Edit Version

4. Barakamon

5. Sabagebu

Ks74iJ6.jpg

6. Himegoto

7. Ao Haru Ride

8. Akame ga Kill!

9. Aldnoah.Zero

10. Glasslip

11. Dramatical Murder (though I'm still not sure why I'm watching this)

12. Haikyuu!!

gUT2mD7.jpg

13. Hanayamata

14. Fairy Tail (2014)

15. Yama no Susume season 2

16. Rail Wars

17. Love Stage!!

18. Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?

19. Bakumatsu Rock

20. Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita.

21. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

22. Tokyo ESP

23. Tokyo Ghoul (<3333333333333)

24. Zankyou no Terror

25. Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen

26. Shin Strange+

27. Mahou Shoujo Taisen

28. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal

29. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

30. Kuroshitsuji Book of Circus

Not airing:

31. Sidonia no Kishi

Edit: Finished Sidonia no Kishi,

added to currently airing:

31. Jinsei

32. Francesca

So I watched Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and yeah I'm already in love with it after only two episodes, It's quite possibly the funniest show this season imo. Started Glasslip, Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita, and Hanayamata as well... Glasslip is the only one out of the three that I see me really liking, but really the other two were kinda not so interesting, they were cute but not very interesting. I guess I'll see how it pans out in the long run :)

Aldnoah's new episode was great. Tokyo Ghoul was nice. Barakamon was the cutest. Zankyou no Terror  gets more interesting as the episodes go.
Definitely my four faves this season.

Apart fromt that I'm honestly surprised my weekly dose of screaming Eijun has already made me watch 40 Daiya episodes. And how are we already this far into Haikyuu?

Agreed. Barakamon is definitely my favorite show this season. Other shows that I'm really digging are; Akame ga Kill! , Aldnoah Zero , Ao Haru Ride , Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun , Majimoji Rurumo , Sabagebu!

And believe it or not I've actually genuinely enjoyed the first four episodes of Sword Art Online II so far... I really hope they keep going in this direction and don't start veering off like the first season did.

same here, first 3 episodes of SwordArtOnline II were okayish but i genuinely enjoyed ep4 with it's "twist" ^^

Akame ga kill became annoying rather quick though, consider dropping it

Tokyo Ghoul on the other hand is now more interesting after a way average and predictable start.

apart from that Zankyou no terror is still brilliant, but i think they could finally show the motivation behind the doings and riddles etc. to keep me interested in the plot a bit more, hoping for the next episode for that :)

I'm typing up a list right now because there's a lot to watch and there's always something I forget to watch. Last week it was SAO. This week it was Akame ga Kill.

1. Sword Art Online II
2. Tokyo Ghoul
3. Zankyou no Terror
4. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
5. Aldnoah.Zero
6. Akame ga Kill

7. Fairy Tail (2014)
8. Rail Wars <- dropped due to boredom
9. Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen <- also dropped due to boredom

10. Avatar: The Legend of Korra (not animu but close enough)

I may come back later to add something if I realized I forgot something.

EDIT: Forgot something.

11. Ace of Diamond

I'm typing up a list right now because there's a lot to watch and there's always something I forget to watch. Last week it was SAO. This week it was Akame ga Kill.

1. Sword Art Online II

2. Tokyo Ghoul

3. Zankyou no Terror

4. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

5. Aldnoah.Zero

6. Akame ga Kill

7. Fairy Tail (2014)

8. Rail Wars <- dropped due to boredom

9. Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen <- also dropped due to boredom

10. Avatar: The Legend of Korra (not animu but close enough)

I may come back later to add something if I realized I forgot something.

Hey man you should check out Barakamon :D I know by that list that it obviously isn't what you're used to watching, but give it a try anyways and you might just be surprised. It's a really well put together show with some good laugh out loud moments and also some more sincere "feels" moments.

Yo that episode of Hunter x Hunter tho! I lost my shit whenever Leorio pulled out his nen on Ging :D It's about time too because let's face it, he was pretty useless up till now in the series... but seriously that's a pretty cool nen power, I wonder what type it falls under? I'm sure it'll be explained later on at another time.

^You are not a mangareader? Thought so the whole time lol.

Also i dont like how they call Nanika "something" in the subtitles. Ofc its "correct", but it just sounds weird.

And yea nice Leorio scene :D