Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

[Band Battle] DIR EN GREY vs. the GazettE

Which band do you prefer?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer?

• DIR EN GREY
    • the GazettE

I think this forum would not even exist without that band....

Nope, that's merely for Ito's giant hatred of yaoi. /off topic

Ahahaha. Don't be hating! I don't like seeing it, but that was more or less a joke thread anyways. And let's face it, most yaoi fan art is pretty damn bad. But you are more or less right lol.

This VS Battle .. is very wide open thread ,
compare vocalist , the Gazette ,
compare skills of guitarists , Diru ,
compare compose , Gaze ,
compare the level of Extreme , Diru ,
compare Live performance , Gaze ,
compare Live stage / style , Diru ,
compare the bands ...for me , of course the Gazette .

Voted for the Gazette. It was a tough one. There isn't a single track I dislike of the Gazette's that I've heard, while (if I must admit) there are a few areas in Dir en Grey's discography which fail to pull me in.

I'll vote Dir en grey because in terms of music, they really do their best to ditch the status quo and expand their sound with almost every release. I also believe Kaoru is by far one of the greatest composers, ever. And live, judging from my past 2 experiences, they were simply amazing and inspiring. 

I really dig the GazettE as well because even though they do tend to play it safe and have had many questionable releases, they also have a unique sound that stands out from the rest. Uruha is why I play guitar today. His skill and song writing capabilities are pretty nice. I feel like the band has done a great job of bouncing back from their terrible TOXIC/DIVISION run. Beautiful Deformity was just great and I believe that DOGMA will be an even bigger step up from that. 

dir en grey are an albums band but they have some skippable songs on macabre, kisou and vulgar that do nothing for me. past that (marrow of a bone never happened) they've been getting much better and more consistent, producing 2 albums (uroboros & DSS) that can easily topple some of the best western metal albums of that year.

gazette have some exceptional singles and catchy music here and there but i just see them as a "guilty pleasure" kind of band; nothing comes close to the overall consistency of dir en grey. but i think gazette's best songs (chizuru, calm envy, taion, DLN, cassis, filth in the beauty, to dazzling darkness etc.) give some of DEG's best a run for their money.

OH also uruha is one of the best lead guitarists in visual kei i fucking love his style of soloing, its so beautifully effortless

so there's no contest DIR EN GREY take it!

Dir en grey

They have more complex sound in almost in every album, Uroboros is the best example and they have sweet influences too.

dir en obvious choice.

They've been my go-to since '04/'05, and i don't see that changing much. great band, great sounds, interesting songs. 
They're admittedly a pretty terrible band, but I like terrible music. See avatar.

Dir en grey. Although mostly only their old skewl material. I have stopped really caring aout anything after DSS. The Gazette never did it for me, musical wise and also fandom-wise. Good, both bands have crazy fans, but I found the Gazette fanscene to be more offputting. Somehow I like tgazette’s first releases though (because it is crap, but oldschool-ish crap)

Dir en grey. Although mostly only their old skewl material. I have stopped really caring aout anything after DSS. The Gazette never did it for me, musical wise and also fandom-wise. Good, both bands have crazy fans, but I found the Gazette fanscene to be more offputting. Somehow I like tgazette’s first releases though (because it is crap, but oldschool-ish crap)

I recommend listening to Arche, it's a glorious mix of old and new DEG :)

[necrobump]

Still the same story for me. I enjoy both on a casual basis - I just happen to enjoy more Gazette songs.

GtwrOcQ.png

4QNpyPT.png

My reasons are very simple: Dir has 3 albums which I can get through, while I like a muuuch larger portion of everything gazette has released. Gazette makes simpler songs which are easier to enjoy, while diru's music tends to be more complex and br00tal and I need to be in the right mood to be able to listen to it, otherwise it just sounds like noise to me.

Sign in to follow this