What operating system do you use?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What operating system do you use?

• Windows
    • K/Ubuntu
    • Debian
    • Mac OS
    • Other (list it then!)

Fairly straightforward topic here. I'm just curious as to what operating system you use and why you like it. General options are Windows, Mac OS, Ubuntu, Debian and then if there's something else that I missed out on there's a button for that. Seeing as how I've programmed on all four that I've listed above I've got my preferences for which ones I like best but I want your opinions as well.

You can select more than one option if you dual-boot.

Not a fan of particular OS,

I am currently using Windows, because:

1. It's the most common OS

2. Affordable Device (PC/Laptop/Netbook)

3. User Friendly

I would love a Mac/MACINTOSH, though.

but hesitating mostly because:

1. Overpriced device (PC/Laptop)

2. The people who using it mostly think they're better human beings

3. It sucks with games, even with the most expensive graphic cards they have now.

4. It can't do right click, yes we can have 2 buttons mouse now, but only for copy paste.

Can't do more job with it, which pretty doom for me as i am using PSD a lot with my work.

Been using Linux for brief of time but had to stopped it because:

1. Little/no OEM support

2. No gaming support

3. No migration tool

4. Driver/hardware confusion

5. Free tech support dries up

6. Confusion about distro differences

Totally understood about the Linux part. I'm dual-booting Windows and Linux but trying to find a way to make the Windows and Linux partitions more equal. I was originally going to only use Linux for programming but I ended up liking it so much that I made the switch last week. I also had to do it to work in a lab that I'm at more efficiently, since it was a Unix place and not an MS-DOS one. Finally, I also took a class on it so I felt more comfortable using the command line to install stuff. The switch was utter hell though because Kubuntu is a buggy piece of shit and updating took hours but now that I'm all settled and I have my music in place it's been great so far. I don't do much gaming though so that's not a problem for me :U

IMO Linux is a lifestyle and it's not for everyone. If you're thinking about it though, I'd go Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Debian. Anything else and trying to get help is like pulling teeth. I'd also boot it up in a virtual environment to see if it works/you like it before you do it. It's like the Mac OS but much less user-friendly haha.

I still have Windows for the same reasons you do though.

Windows 7 Ultimate but I also have a MacBook but I hardly use it. Not because it's a Mac but because I just don't use my laptop very much. The other three desktops and laptops we have use Windows. One is currently using Windows 8 (I hate the metro UI).

I would love a Mac/MACINTOSH, though.

- Can't do more job with it, which pretty doom for me as i am using PSD a lot with my work.

Not sure what kind of job you're doing, however it is true that Windows pretty much dominates the office world. However big tech companies, Amazon in particular and even Microsoft allow employees to use OSX and Linux operation systems. From what I hear from friends, Microsoft employees still primarily use Windows but you can walk on into some studios and find a great number of employees working on OSX. *I think* most of Amazon is on Linux, I have a friend that works there and it was either Linux or OSX that is primarily used in his department (He's a developer) but I imagine the financial side is dominated by Windows because I'm not sure if most financial software is supported by Linux/OSX (Think Congos, PeopleSoft, Oracle).

Anyway, I don't have a favourite but Microsoft pays my bills and I get all their software for dirt cheap so I tend to favor Windows.

In the end the only things I really dislike about Macs and Linux is the delf-righteousness holier-than-thou userbase. Not everyone is like that but it's the obnoxious fanboys and fangirls that drive me away (like dir en grey fans). You can go ahead and list why OSX is better than Windows but I don't give a shit. My PC that I built is more powerful than even the most expensive Macintosh computer available and I want to play God damn games on it so Windows it is haha.

I am a Windows fan, I love my win7. This seems to shock so many people I work with, since I am in the design world and so many people are on macs. I have spent a ton of time working on macs, especially this summer I was using my mac at work for about 40 hours a week, so I feel fairly well versed in it. It really isn't bad, but I can't do most of the shit that I want to do in it. I like to customize how my machine works a ton, and that level isn't possible on a mac. That and I hate the dock, I feel that the task bar is 100x better (I don't like the new task bar in win7 either, I still use the old school styled one).

That said, I have always been curious on Linux. I have considered installing it on my laptop and seeing how I like it there, but I don't see myself putting forth the effort to do that any time soon xD

Use Wubi! That way it runs like it's on a virtual machine and you don't have to do any messy partitions or anything! It comes with most downloads of Linux so it's not hard to find either. Whenever you feel inspired to do it, that's the way to go ;D

I use Mac OS X on my MacBook Pro and iOS for iPod Touch

Lol @ people thinking Mac users are stuck up. Well most Mac users I know actually are, guess I'm an exception? xD

Ubuntu (11.04, haven't bothered to upgrade yet : P), Debian and Fedora, PCLinuxOS in the past, along with a few others I only used for a couple of weeks. Will probably try a new distro once I get my new netbook. Possibly Arch.

EDIT: Btw, the so-called "user-friendliness" is the worst thing that has happened to OSes in recent years.

EDIT2: Thought I'd correct the common misconception that Linux can't be used for gaming. "Emulating" (as in, not actual emulator) Windows games with wine usually works really well these days, I've only had problems with a couple of games I've tried (and I've tried quite many).

The new Touhou being one of them, unfortunately.

My first exposure to computers were my uncle's Macs, but personally I always used Windows, currently Win7, which is pretty neat overall.

I would be wary of switching to Macs because of compatability issues. I have to work a lot with japanese signs, and the compatability of the japanese encoding between Mac OS and WIndows is shaky at best.

Plus, I don't really have a reason to change. Windows does all I need.

EDIT: Btw, the so-called "user-friendliness" is the worst thing that has happened to OSes in recent years.

Linux tries so hard to be user-friendly but at it's core it's not. All of the menus and the "are you sure you want to do this?" and the buggy at best GUI and the "pointing in the general direction but not telling you what to do when you get there" that they put in to make sure people don't do dumb things just make it more tedious for the people that do know what they're doing. They shouldn't assume that people act braindead when they're computing. Braindead people shouldn't be using computers. >___>

I can say this because I'm a CompSci asshole major.

EDIT2: Thought I'd correct the common misconception that Linux can't be used for gaming. "Emulating" (as in, not actual emulator) Windows games with wine usually works really well these days, I've only had problems with a couple of games I've tried (and I've tried quite many).

The new Touhou being one of them, unfortunately.

NOOOOOO ; o ;

I have windows, but that's just because it's the most common one over here, and I'd never trade anything for my Dell XPS I have now.

That said, I have a degree in Journalism/TV, meaning that I can perfectly do video editing. While I learned to used Avid on Windows in School, I still prefer Final Cut on Mac from my internship. So if I ever need to get back to video editing (which I probably will) I'll be buying myself a Mac because Avid is a bitch and final cut is heaven.

Besides that, I can work on both systems, and there's not really one I prefer.

(+ not that I care about it that much, but most apple/mac users over here are elitists, saying that mac is better than everything and it never crashes and all... I worked with mac for 2 months and it did crash on me. So spare me the elitist-talks)

I lol @ other Mac users who think Macs are indestructable. They aren't, believe me. Sure, their security system is pretty tight, but don't start getting reckless or you'll crash it anyway. I've seen people using Macs of which I thought they shouldn't even be near computers (pushing on the screen with their fingers, abusing the keyboard etc etc). I really like my Mac and sure when others complain about Windows I tell them that Mac doesn't have that kind of problem, but I'm not shoving it in everyone's faces. Like said before, most people I know irl who use Macs are kind of stuck up as well. I feel so lonely now xD

I'm on a (few) Mac(s)...

literally since Mac OS Classic 9.x, so for quite some time now and way before the "iHype" started.

at work still on OSX 10.5-10.6 because 10.7 is not ready for our production environment right now (video production),

at home I'm also on 10.6 but will soon upgrade to 10.7 to get a hold of the iCloud-stuff...

I've also got Windows and Linux Machines running for Support-Reasons - but only as virtual machines (works just fine)...

on my phone it's iOS 5

i used to have windows vista(on my old computer that is no longer working -.-) but now i have windows 7 :D i really believe that it's better <3 and at first i wanted a Mac computer but they cost so

Much money .__.; and my mom has a dell laptop with windows 7 (im guessing windows 7 is more better..) XD

Sign in to follow this