Guest o hai itz will

Official Music Hate Thread

I suppose it's also an interesting question to ask why people that used to love visual kei now hate it. I would ask myself that question but I no longer know the answer. I just...don't like the scene anymore. It's sad :(

eh, VK have always been in and out thing.

Most people i know, and myself included, have been going through the phase

where we tried to find some other alternative cos we totally bored with VK music.

It is not something one can listen too for over and over.

Especially with the direction that ever so stagnant.

Every other VK bands literally have similar sounds, similar looks.

And just few acts that really stand out cos they were being original.

All others just pretty much fillers to the scene and come and goes like revolving door.

Sorry to say but it's true.

But in general music will never die.

It always goes in circles.

One reason VK has gone down the drain in my opinion is because VK has really lost touch with its roots. The new bands and industry have forgotten what the movement was originally all about. In the beginning, visual kei was a mark of attitude and expression. Now its about "how many fangirls can we get" - that's why most bands are so quick to hop on musical and/or the same old boring visual trends and bandwagons. Whatever sells to their tiny niche of fangirls is what works.

^ I don't think it's that simple. I bet tons of bands in the old days went for that attitude too, we couldn't know that anyway. But speaking of roots and samey trends, that feature has been there all along too: the old bands emulated the '80s post-punk, new wave and heavy metal groups they listened to, and the bands nowadays emulate the modern-rock, nu-metal and metalcore groups they listen to. It's another thing that which one's closer to someone's taste, or how much originality the bands put into their work/sound though...

i think the problem is that people

can't find anyone from the new bands who can be at the same level as xjapan for example, deg, gazette etc etc ,

can't imagine anyone who can end up to be as much admired from everyone and accomplished.(and hasn't drop visuals)

but maybe it's music in general like this now days

or maybe we can't tell because we live now

(personally though from my fav bands i don't have a problem like this. i am happy with them <3)

I've been hearing the "ohno, vk is dead/dying, all new bands suck, it was so much better a few years ago!"-mantra ever since I started to listen to vk over 10 years ago. Some of the bands we glorify as good old times of vk were already considered a sign of decadence by older fans back then. Go figure.

People move on and bemoan the lack of originiality and perceived quality compared to their good old days. In the meantime, for new fans it's all fresh and exiting, just like it was for us once.

Perfect. People just like to complain tbh.

Hope it won't go downhill, but that's my personal thoughts:

I basically agree with what Hellion and Number Girl said, about all this so called VK. It's now focused rather on preety-boy looks instead of music and talent. And this is just idiotic.

I got first time into Japanese music in 2008. At first I heard some random alternative rock songs, but later I've discovered Dir en Grey, Despa and Girugamesh. I was glad to find some new good music, and wanted to explore more of it. And while I was doing this that I've noticed that there's something wrong. Almost all other bands that I saw all sound and look the same - extremely repetitive! Even the VK vocalists always sound like women giving a birth or sth like that >:/ And yeah, not to mention the reterdness level of the most of fandom: the fangirls who all what they can say is that "(insert_member_nickname) is so hot/sexy/kawaii". It just makes ppl do a facepalm.

I've been listening to visual kei for about one year, but it was before I discovered bands like Maximum the Hormone, Anthem, The Mad Capsule Markets. It's so damn riddiculous that these stupid fangirls don't like them because they "aren't kawaii desu" for them. As if all Japanese music artists ned to act feminine in orded to get attention. Music is not about looks!

I also wonder why no one ever mentioned the fact that majority of Japanese ppl does NOT listen to visual kei, they'd rather listen to bands like for example One Ok Rock or old some music that they listened, when they were young. Personally I think that Visual Kei bands are just overrated and overrepresented on the Internet in a very stupid way. And this is just annoying! Type in google search "japanese rock bands". A huge part of results are guys with either boybandish looks or tones of make-up splashed around their faces, that most of people in Japan don't even listen to. After that ppl have negative mind about whole Japanese music scene. That simply irritates me because there are amount of good talented Japanese artists who no matter how unpopular overseas they are, they deserve to be heard. But due to such a pushing of all these VK by it's retarded fangirls, they lose their chance to get attention.

I'm sorry if this post was way too long, but the reasons which I gave is why I consider all these neo-VK bands who are getting fans because of looks, as a disgrace for Japanese music. I don't meant all but, at least most of it, granted that I really like X Japan and Despa. That was my personal opinion which many other ppl share.

the reality is music had always a connection with looks.

even bands that say they don't care about looks, have a certain type of look you like and want to follow.

try to turn Maximum the Hormone etc to look visual and see how many followers they will loose just because they changed look.(not music)

or any metal band for example,or pop.

most of guys actually and people would NOT listen to a band ,no matter how awesome the music is, just because they have visual looks.

so that "i don't care about looks" excuse is crap.

visual kei will always be underground. because guys that dress like girls can never be mainstream.

the majority will always listen to bands that dress more mainstream.

---> so the majority totally cares about looks

second i personally love the visuals and i choose them because i am so bored with western music.

visual kei bands had something different and i don't want them to stop.

i am fed up with the european ,american bands ideology.

i am having fun that they dress like this to turn on girls.

although most of my fav bands don't really do it and i still choose them for the music

The whole jap music > western music is something I tend to have problems with. I find it rather ridiculous...

theres only a rather small amount of japanese bands that actually sound ~unique~ IMO, and those are the bands that actually use 'traditional' elements in their music ( and no, wearing a kimono once doesn't count ). Those are rather far and inbetween. Other than that, most of the western and japanese bands are interchangeable in terms of sound, disregarding language here, of course.

One thing I can't stand is when people get so pissed off when you say anything negative about a band they like. They should learn to accept other people's opinions. I know about "if you don't like this band, then don't talk about them" argument, but sometimes a little criticism is more than necessary. Discussing flaws in a band can even start more constructive conversation too! It all depends. Sometimes it's best to also ignore people if you don't like what they're saying. If they're not personally attacking you or other fans, then why get so "butthurt" about it? If they're attacking you personally then by all means rip their heads off.

I also get annoyed by the "fangirls" who would rather talk about how cute a group is rather than the music itself, and fans like this are mainly on Youtube. (Thankfully I rarely see that shit on last.fm or here.) At the same time though they're just being themselves. I really don't understand why anyone would put the looks before the music, but I've never asked any of these type of fans why they comment the way they do, but it does make reading Youtube comments a less enjoyable experience. Just look at the top comments when you type "the Riotts PV" to see what I mean.

Additionally, many of these types of fans only know about 10 different visual kei bands, and because of this + sheer ignorance; I all the time view comments such as "x sounds just like Dir En Grey / Gazette / An Cafe / Ayabie" etc. Now I can understand the idea that many VK bands sound the same because they do, but most of the time when I see these comments it's criticizing a band that doesn't even sound anything like the band they're referring to. So basically when I'm viewing a VK video on Youtube, the comments are either like this: "x looks so kawaii!", "this band is copying x band!" of "this band / song is awesome!." Unfortunately, the latter is what I see the least.

the reality is music had always a connection with looks.

even bands that say they don't care about looks, have a certain type of look you like and want to follow.

try to turn Maximum the Hormone etc to look visual and see how many followers they will loose just because they changed look.(not music)

or any metal band for example,or pop.

most of guys actually and people would NOT listen to a band ,no matter how awesome the music is, just because they have visual looks.

Well, I can agree with u on this one. In Visual Kei extreme metal did exist (no idea wheter there still is), mostly in the early 1990s with bands like Aion or Rosenfeld. For me it doesn't so much matter how do the bands look, as long as they've got good music.

If you talk about imagining MTH or other metal or even pop group had turned into visual looks, I don't think that fans would have left them since their music would be still awesome. But it could be weird for many of them. U right with that music was always at some ways connected with looks, but what I was reffering at is just the fact that nowadays, but not always, it replaces talent, as an example we can name today's mainstream, that's how these commercial stars are appearing on the stage, mostly for money. To me most of these new VK bands sound all just repetitive. There generally exist some good older bands, but look at UCP or oshare kei - a perfect example of the bands who are rather focusing on looks instead of music (or simply there's almost no talent involved), and as a result they all sound boringly the same.

visual kei will always be underground. because guys that dress like girls can never be mainstream.

the majority will always listen to bands that dress more mainstream.

---> so the majority totally cares about looks

second i personally love the visuals and i choose them because i am so bored with western music.

visual kei bands had something different and i don't want them to stop.

i am fed up with the european ,american bands ideology.

Visual kei is generally not fully Japanese invention, also nothing so unique. Men dressing up like women already existed in American glam rock scene which started in the beggining of the 70s and died around 1989.

Besides I really don't think that music has such an ideology that describes all music scene in a broached country.

@Yasuhiro, I agree with you! Your post sums up my thoughts at every possible way. The basic reason why I've got fed up with that scene. I remember that I also was often reading these hilarious comments, but if I go to Mad Capsule Markets or Loudness music videos I'm glad that there are mainly intellingent ppl commenting, instead of some crazy fanboys/fangirls.

But I think that from the perspective "Better or worse music exists in every country" Japanese music is just like any other music in the world, without ingoring the fact that there are many bands with it's unique sound.

Bands that I hate for one reason or another- SuG, Nightmare, GazettE, and Phantasmagoria.

SuG- They're such corporate whores now. PSC has effed them up as they do with every band they touch. I was obsessed with them when I got into v-kei and didn't know any better...but wow. They suck some ass.

Nightmare- Most overrated band of all time. Really. I haven't heard one song from them that I even remotely like. And wtf is up with Yomi's voice. Really.

GazettE- Okay, I have to give them some credit. They got me into v-kei, and I do like a few of their songs, and DIM is a great album. I just hate their holier-than-thou attitudes and their music as of late. I think they're asshats, frankly. And I know I'll get "Dir en grey have the worst holier-than-thou attitudes blahblahblah!" and I know that, but I love them for their music first, (former) personalities second.

Phantasmagoria- Idk. They just suck imo. I was really excited to listen to them, and I was not impressed. And Kisaki creeps me the fuck out.

That's it. I don't really hate any other bands.

Bands that I hate for one reason or another- SuG, Nightmare, GazettE, and Phantasmagoria.

SuG- They're such corporate whores now. PSC has effed them up as they do with every band they touch. I was obsessed with them when I got into v-kei and didn't know any better...but wow. They suck some ass.

Nightmare- Most overrated band of all time. Really. I haven't heard one song from them that I even remotely like. And wtf is up with Yomi's voice. Really.

GazettE- Okay, I have to give them some credit. They got me into v-kei, and I do like a few of their songs, and DIM is a great album. I just hate their holier-than-thou attitudes and their music as of late. I think they're asshats, frankly. And I know I'll get "Dir en grey have the worst holier-than-thou attitudes blahblahblah!" and I know that, but I love them for their music first, (former) personalities second.

Phantasmagoria- Idk. They just suck imo. I was really excited to listen to them, and I was not impressed. And Kisaki creeps me the fuck out.

WIN POST! Thanks for summing it up! :domo:

WIN POST! Thanks for summing it up! :domo:

Do I sense sarcasm?...

And if my sarcasm senses malfunctioned and that was sincere, thanks.

LOL! no man, i am definetely agree with you there, Sug + The Gazette + Phantasmagoria (+ Golden Bomber) are the band on my most hatred band list. that's why when i read your post, i quote it instead of writing my own post to save time. xD

Paradeis or how ever the fuck you spell it - The vocalist is just creepy and is badly in need of some singing lessons.

L'arc En Ciel - Just no. I can not stand Hyde's vocals and they are over hyped anyways.

X Japan - Just STOP already for fucks sake. Seriously. Enough is enough already. Besides I am sick and tired or people just knowing X Japan. There are more bands out there.

Anything Yoshiki works on - See above. I'm also pissed that he is doing the music for the Golden Globes as well, they couldn't find someone else to do the music?

Golden Bomber - While their pvs can sometimes be amusing, they freak me out. And I do not like the vocals at all.

the GazettE/Dir En grey fans - While I am a fan of both Diru and GazE the fans piss me off to no end with how they act. And Heresy member can pull the sticks out of their asses.

Most Visual Kei fans - While there are nice and respectful fans that actually listen to the bands for their music, most of the time you are dealing with teeny bopper weeaboos that think that are so cool for listening to something that is completely different. And only listen to it for the looks. Although, most of the ones that I have come across have switch to KPOP, thank god.

LOL! no man, i am definetely agree with you there, Sug + The Gazette + Phantasmagoria (+ Golden Bomber) are the band on my most hatred band list. that's why when i read your post, i quote it instead of writing my own post to save time. xD

Oh, then thanks. xD But I like Golden Bomber. :/ My friend and I have some great inside jokes because of them, so...

Paradeis or how ever the fuck you spell it - The vocalist is just creepy and is badly in need of some singing lessons.

L'arc En Ciel - Just no. I can not stand Hyde's vocals and they are over hyped anyways.

X Japan - Just STOP already for fucks sake. Seriously. Enough is enough already. Besides I am sick and tired or people just knowing X Japan. There are more bands out there.

Anything Yoshiki works on - See above. I'm also pissed that he is doing the music for the Golden Globes as well, they couldn't find someone else to do the music?

Golden Bomber - While their pvs can sometimes be amusing, they freak me out. And I do not like the vocals at all.

the GazettE/Dir En grey fans - While I am a fan of both Diru and GazE the fans piss me off to no end with how they act. And Heresy member can pull the sticks out of their asses.

Most Visual Kei fans - While there are nice and respectful fans that actually listen to the bands for their music, most of the time you are dealing with teeny bopper weeaboos that think that are so cool for listening to something that is completely different. And only listen to it for the looks. Although, most of the ones that I have come across have switch to KPOP, thank god.

This whole post wins. Except for the GB part. Sorry.

I hate people that listen to J-rock and Kpop exclusively, yet think their tastes are broad. =__=

Also this.

And what's everyone's opinion here on Dir en grey? Do you think that they deserve their fame or that they're overrated? And don't think that I'll get pissed at you if you hate on them, I don't really give a fuck about shit like that. Everyone has their own opinion, so I won't bitch you out if you dislike/hate them.

And also I hate that I have to say shit like that ^ because Dir en grey has such a stupid fandom.

I hate people that listen to J-rock and Kpop exclusively, yet think their tastes are broad. =__=

^ LTMQ. "But, but, but VK is like melting pot of genres!" LOLOLO :<

This whole post wins. Except for the GB part. Sorry.

And I would have to disagree with your entire post. xD

So it is all good

And what's everyone's opinion here on Dir en grey? Do you think that they deserve their fame or that they're overrated? And don't think that I'll get pissed at you if you hate on them, I don't really give a fuck about shit like that. Everyone has their own opinion, so I won't bitch you out if you dislike/hate them.

And also I hate that I have to say shit like that ^ because Dir en grey has such a stupid fandom.

Personally I love Dir En Grey but I can not stand most of the fans. Either they are completely new to Diru or they have been listening to them since day one and they have sticks shoved so far up their asses. Granted, there are fans that are not like either one but it is hard to come across those fans.

They have made their name through their music. And since they left the VK scene they have kept true to their own style. Imo they are a talented band and through many people might not like their style of music, they are still respected as musicians.

i hate the fandom. well some of it. lately i don't see as much idiot deg fandom as i used to.

(well someone tell me which bands do you think they have the coolest fandom. from visual bands???)

i hate the latest years band attitude and image. i don't mean looks. i mean they even kinda remind me their fanbase in attitude so maybe it's their fault.

i think they deserve the fame they have. they have some amazing songs.

they were one of the top bands in japan and didn't afraid to leave this and experiment.and now sure they are not first anymore outside japan.(maybe last.)

.the opposite way that gazette choose to take.

although i don't like them now so much i admire they didn't choose the convensional way.

although i think they have an ugly image now they seem too serious, arrogant ,uptight

well someone tell me which bands do you think they have the coolest fandom. from visual bands???

Personally I think the band with the coolest fandom was Kagrra,. When they were still around, there was not much bitching about their experimental stages. Hell, even when they released their Shu album (which was their weakest album in my own opinion) there wasn't as big of a drama than when the GazettE released TOXIC. I heard from multiple people who saw them live at the signing session during their Europe tour that the five members (and mostly Isshi) were also incredibly nice people who were really nice to their fans. Also when I watch their live videos I see that they're having lots of fun on stage and that the entire venue is jumping up and down with them, which doesn't happen with all bands. Too bad they disbanded in the end :( I really had wanted to see them live once.

^ i guess those need to be disscused on another place so not to be off topic and derail the theme for this thread here.

>Mejibray

Never understood the hype around VanessA and Mejibray, never will. Are you listening to this because of the music or because of their belly buttons and genki's tongue?

>Yoshiki

I hate this little, moneysucking, Pattinson-ish embodiment of Paris Hilton and his ways of recycling all the stuff he has made like 20 years ago and pretend that it's a new masterpiece dedicated to Hide and blah blah blah...I have to say that he's only guy in J-scene I hate with my whole heart, with passion as you might say.

>Within Temptation

Zzzz...do I really have to say something about this? High predictability, a singer for whom I just can't sympathize, soullessness...maybe it's just me but give me a break - there are far better female-fronted "metal" bands. eyeroll.gif

>Pitbull

Latina chicks won't save you, dawg, just no. Generic as hell and such a big waste in the ongoing club music scene. To the oblivion with you.

>Basshunter

Doing the same crap ever since Boten Anna, to the oblivion with you [2]

And the rant goes on...

i extremely dislike the GazettE. they used to be able to make music back in the indies days, but it seems like it's an inverse relationship between their popularity and their music quality. the more fans they got, the shittier their music got, and after TOXIC came out, i gave up on this band entirely. what's worse is that their fans don't realize it at all and think their music is the best and fawn all over it, even though truthfully it sounds like shit /endrant.

>Mejibray

Never understood the hype around VanessA and Mejibray, never will. Are you listening to this because of the music or because of their belly buttons and genki's tongue?

>Yoshiki

I hate this little, moneysucking, Pattinson-ish embodiment of Paris Hilton and his ways of recycling all the stuff he has made like 20 years ago and pretend that it's a new masterpiece dedicated to Hide and blah blah blah...I have to say that he's only guy in J-scene I hate with my whole heart, with passion as you might say.

>Within Temptation

Zzzz...do I really have to say something about this? High predictability, a singer for whom I just can't sympathize, soullessness...maybe it's just me but give me a break - there are far better female-fronted "metal" bands. eyeroll.gif

>Pitbull

Latina chicks won't save you, dawg, just no. Generic as hell and such a big waste in the ongoing club music scene. To the oblivion with you.

>Basshunter

Doing the same crap ever since Boten Anna, to the oblivion with you [2]

And the rant goes on...

Totally agree except Mejibray.... I actually like their stuff XD

but couldn't get much from Vanessa either ~

Yoshiki.... is a moneywhore Indeed xD