Sign in to follow this  
Champ213

Official Turntable.fm Thread

I know there already is a thread about tt, but this is more of an "official" for anything concerning the MH room on there.

Several new members have joined us in the past few days, but to keep things interesting in the long run we thought about organizing certain "theme nights". Depending on the number of participants they will probably last 2-3 hours or more and all songs have to fit a certain theme like "Your favourite happy songs", "Favourite ballads", "Guilty Pleasure Night" etc.

Theme night would be announced a few days beforehand so people can collect some songs, and start at a scheduled time so we can draw a lot of people at the same time (time zones will be problem, but we will try to find a compromise here, and they will probably be at weekends).

If you have any suggestions for themes, don't hesitate to post them here! :3

In the long run we might actually hold "DJ Battles" where 3-5 DJs compete with a certain number of songs and the one gaining the most points will win a mini prize, like a last.fm subscription.

Anyway, any sort of events and theme nights will from now on be announced in this thread, so keep checking back.

Okay, we've been thinking of holding our first theme night next weekend, so if you have any suggestions for possible themes let us know.

One suggestions we got was to hold a "Blind listening" night. For this people would remove all tagging info from the songs before uploading. The idea is that people only judge by the music and not possible bias they have against an artist.

Other possibilities would be themes based on genre (metal/pop/jazz night etc) or moods (sad/happy/angry night etc.).

Prefrences? ideas? Let us know so we can decide on a theme a few days ahead of the weekend.

soundtrack nite, 80s, 90s nite, female fronted/all female/diva/girl power nite, ska nite, se nite, instrimental nite, european nite, baroque era nite, fairy tale nite (so users will play music that themed fairy tale like yami no kuni alice by buck tick etc), non vk band with make up/androgynous nite (any bands and genre), party animal nite, prom themed nite (so users havt to play music that fit with prom nite), oseudo noir/camp fire horror nite (horror themrd/dark lyrics or music and members can tell scary stories either fable or true stories)

that is all i can think of.or music and members can tell scary stories either fable or true stories)

that is all i can think of.

New Wave of British/American Heavy Metal, glam rock, gothic, adult oriented rock, pop, etc (genres)

most popular, least popular (number of hits played)

instrumental, neo classical rock metal, techno (no vocals)

1970 1980 1990 2000s decade (time)

rainy, autumn, christmas, new year, etc (season)

used in anime, video game or tv series (purpose or usage)

slowest, fastest, lightest, heaviest (terms of how the song was/is being played)

covers (not original artist/band)

1-3 mins, 3-6 mins, 7-10 mins, 10-above mins (duration)

+night

Trashy dance music night.

explicitly homoerotic lyrics night

homo night every night

maybe need to make it in GMT, so will be universal for all?

Well, people can always covert GMT to their own time zone, i guess?

Umm, the problem is not about converting, the problem is that whatever time we choose, it will be inconvienient for at least some, because it's in the middle of the night/early morning for them.

Fact is however that we need some mods present during the theme nights, so most theme nights will fall into a time zone when several mods can be online.

However, there usually seems to be quite a few people online at late night GMT, so that seems to be the best time for a theme night. And they can continue for as long as people want/have songs to play.

Umm, the problem is not about converting, the problem is that whatever time we choose, it will be inconvienient for at least some, because it's in the middle of the night/early morning for them.

Fact is however that we need some mods present during the theme nights, so most theme nights will fall into a time zone when several mods can be online.

However, there usually seems to be quite a few people online at late night GMT, so that seems to be the best time for a theme night. And they can continue for as long as people want/have songs to play.

Well, don't take me wrong.

I mean we can always convert the timezone based on GMT

so we can have convenient time for all of us.

We sure need more than 3 users to come and join,

not just as DJ, but also as audience, to give us points.

I suppose that's how we will judge who's best right, by audience votes their Awesome point?

I don't think you understand what I mean. The idea is to draw as many people as possible into the room at the same time. That's why we want to schedule the beginning at a certain time, say 10 pm GMT. Converted into specific time zones, that would equal a convenient 6 pm at New York, but a rather inconvenient 8 am in Melbourne.

If I understood you correctly you propose that we set a certain time, for example 10 pm, and every users turns in at 10 pm in their time zone. But this kinda defies the purpose of getting as many people together for a few hours at the same time, and by the time the later time zones arrive the early birds will probably have run out of theme-specific songs already.

Oh yeah, and the theme nights will have no judging/competition. The "DJ Battles" are something we might do at a later point, the theme nights are just fun and play.

Okay, our first theme night will be hold on Saturday evening (for some people it might be Sunday morning actually).

Time: Saturday (August 13) 10 pm GMT (Use the Time Zone Converter to convert it into your local time.)

Duration: ? (Will depend on the number of participants - we will probably maintain the theme for at least 3 hours. People can still play their theme-specific songs afterwards, but other stuff will be allowed again too.)

Theme: Female-fronted bands

Rules: The normal rules of the room still apply: music must be japanese, or if it's non-japanese it must be rock-related.

Female-fronted means having a female vocalist. Dual vox male/female are ok, if the female vocalist is featured prominently enough (ie. Onmyouza).

If you deviate from the theme too often, we may remove you from the DJ booth.

Anyway, you now have several days to collect and upload songs, and we hope to see many of you there!

If this theme night goes well, we will certainly have more of those. So don't be sad if your favourite theme didn't make it, there will be other chances. We will probably also try different starting times later to give people in other time zones a chance to participate.

Sadly enough, I won't eventually have time to appear there (way too late (12 am - 1 am? Err....)+ other things involving gymnasium/college-stuff)

:( Hope Midori and Soundwitch will deserve some love there...

Good theme night , I'll be ther if not drinking and like that

Off topic : :ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED - So no Turntablet for me :(

The first theme night is over and it was a lot of fun, although some people were dearly missed.

We also decided on a theme for the next night.

Time: Friday, August 19th, 10pm GMT (Use Time Zone Converter for you local time.)

Theme: Old-school Jrock

Rules: Theme is jrock, so this time everything has to be japanese, but it doesn't have to be vk. Songs should be from the 90s, 80s or older. I will make an exception for certain sorts of oldschool vk from the beginning of the 00'. Current/recent kote bands (ie. Metis Gretel, Ru:natic) will be fine, just don't overplay them but focus on stuff that actually is at least 10 years old.

Until then the turntable room is open for normal business. :spin:

Edit: Date was moved one day ahead, from Saturday to Friday.

Sign in to follow this