The general Metal discussion thread

Very good. It's not bad all - in fact it's brilliant. Give them even more time and they'll grow on you.

Haha, yeah. I'm a huge fan of Warhammer. I can't decide on who's the best Hellhammer-clone: Warhammer or Apokalyptic Raids. I think both are fantastic. It's hilarious how the band disown their early albums for not sounding similar enough to Hellhammer. Talk bout fanatic Hellhammer fans.

10429351_989511794395584_286029963496376

Ghoulgotha - The Deathmass Cloak

Decided to heck this album out. Death/doom + AMAZING cover art + Elektrokutioner (Encoffination, Scaremaker, Tombstones, etc.) + great logo looks amazing on paper, but god this was disappointing. Such a mess. There's just way too much going on within each song. It's like all three members have written enough riffs for five albums each and neither wanted to leave their riffs out, so they just mashed all the 16541643 riffs into 11 songs. It's a huge mess. A huge fucking mess, and I turned off after 3 songs or so. Shame, because the production is good (drums sounds a bit off, but not bothering), the leads sounds good and there's plenty of good riffs. But it's such as mess. I wish it was good because I'd love to have that cover on a fine vinyl release.

I'll give it a few more listens later, but I don't have any high hopes for this album.

Sample from the upcoming Dødheimsgard (DHG) album: https://soundcloud.com/peaceville/dhg-aphelion-void-audio-sample-from-a-umbra-omega

THey announced it would sound like a mix between Satanic Art and 666 International, and that's what we get with a hint of Ved Buens Ende. The seond part of the song sounds like Ved Buens Enda. Sounds crazy good. Aldrahn is a fantastic vocalist. He sounds just great.

a3225027029_10.jpg

Triumvir Foul - An Oath of Blood and Fire

I discovered this demo not too many days ago and I have to say that this has ended up being one of my favourites of 2014. Dark, filthy, putrid, morbid and disgusting death metal by two of the four membes of Ash Borer. I hear plenty of of Autopsy, Incantation and Nihilist in the sound, but they've got something of their own going on here. Brilliant stuff.

http://triumvirfoul.bandcamp.com/

I dunno if this fits in here but the new Napalm Death album is fuckin' godly. Amazing feel from start to finish -- I'm not even finished listening to it but I'll keep it at that cuz nothing can ruin the remaining few tracks. XD

460851.jpg

This album features three older tracks from our live shows now recorded in studio and a brand new track recently written and recorded.

A1 Child Preacher

A2 Uncreation

B1 I am the Mansion

B2 Divining Rod

Check it out here: http://weshalllive.bandcamp.com/album/uncreation

A 37 minute long EP released in 2014, an another extremely solid addition to the Mansion discography. Both darker and heavier than previous Mansion releases, but it still sound like 100% Mansion. Fantastic release by a fantastic band. Gotta love the band's lyrical themes as well, focusing on Kartanoism, a small Christian sect in Finland from the 20's to the 50's. Very interesting and very, very cool. I really can't believe this band hasn't gotten bigger by now. Should be among the most taked about doom metal bands out there to be honest. They're that good.

If you're into bands psychedelic rock/doom bands like Jex Thoth/Totem, Mount Salem, Blood Ceremony and so on you should check this out asap. Especially if you're into Jex Thoth. But Mansion have more than enough character to stand on their own legs. They've found their own thing. Brilliant band.

473916.gif

Devouring Star - Through Lung and Heart

Finnish black metal in the vein of Svartidaudi and Deathspell Omega. As Svartidaudi this isn't as unaccessible as DsO, but it's way better IMO. I guess you could say that this is a lot more riffier and meatier than DsO.

Checked out the new Anal Vomit as well. Their first album is a classic, their second is amazing and their third is very good. They've gone downhill sicne the debut, but always kept releasing high quality albums.For the new album they've got themself a new drummer, and that's easy to hear because he fucks up the album on his own. Awful drum sound. I didn't manage more than 2-3 songs. What a huge disappointment, and it's such a shame because the music itself is great.

Just the same happened with fellow Peruvian black/death act Hadez last year. Geat band, and especially their debut, Aquelarre, is a massive album. Classic! Their new album however was ruined by awful drum sound, which again is a shame because the music itself is great.

How the hell can bands keep releasing albums with drums like this? Are they deaf or what? They gotta hear the same as us right? Jesus.

Finsterforst is that old scool Moonsorrow-clone band, right? Heard some of their earlier stuff and was impressed, even though it wasn't quite as good as the band they look up to aka Moonsorow. My main "problem" with the band though, beside them not being nearly as good as Moonsorrow, is that they sang in german. I don't have anything against german, but it isn't really the kind of language that suits this type music the best. The language just sounds way too agressive IMO.

Highly influenced by Moonsorrow for sure, yeah. And concerning the language, even if it's a matter of taste, I actually enjoy Finsterforst music. I don't like German and I consider that there are a lot of bands which music would sound better if it was sung in another language. But it doesn't bother me at all with Finsterforst, actually the language gives a little more to their music imo.

Then it's the band I am thinking about. Good stuff, but the fucking german, man. I see german as a great language for black metal, and for Rammstein, but outside that I am not really a huge fan. Not too annoying or anything, though. But I'd like it better if it was in English or something.

Not as good as the first song they posted off the album, but I am really looking forward to this album. Should be great.

Where. Did. They. Got. That. Fucking. Childish. Font. 

Actually, a better question would have been: who thought it was a good idea to use that font in particular? I don't know if it was intentionally aimed but the video is awful. Nevermind, it is not the topic here. I really dig this new song, the new album is going to be a great one for sure. I have no memory of the first song they posted except that it was really good, gotta listen it again. Can't wait for the new album!

Yeah, the font looks awful. Looks like a font from an old Aladdin film or something like that. Awful. Lyric videos in general are awful. I have yet to see a good lyric video. The whole concept is fucking stupid IMO.

I'm not really too keen on Vektor, but both albums has something going on now and then and I hope they get more of that out this time around. I'd love to hear more of a Voivod-inspired sound. More Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss would be awesome.

Been rediscovering some albums the past days. Bands and albums that I really, really enjoy, but rarely listen to.

2881.jpg

Lääz Rockit - Know Your Enemy

Power/thrash metal in the vein of old Metal Church. The band took their name from the masterpiece that is The Enforcer, and the name suits them. They're that badass. The riffs are badass to the bone, the vocals are great and sounds like a mix of Blitz (Overkill) and Wayne (Metal Church) and the production is superb. Cool as fuck.

Funt fact: I discovered this band through grindcore band Frightmare who covered their brilliant thrasher Leatherface on one of their album. Heh.

3758.jpg

Toxik - World Circus

Technical speed/thrash which just destroys. This album is full of great riffs, amazing drumming and fantastic, high-pitched vocals. The vocals aren't everybody's cup of tea, but if you can handle high-ptched singing you probably won't mind. The album was very original for its time and it really stepped out of the thrash/speed metal scene and broke the "rules". No one did anything like this at the time, and despite the band not becoming very big, the album proved to be a massive influence on the thrash/speed metal scene back then.

To be continued...

"South American Hell" - Part 1: "Metal Medallo" focuses on the city of Medellin, Colombia and its musical rebellion against the violence, oppression and nihilism of the Escobar years. From what was once the murder capital of the world comes remarkable story of rebellion, solidarity and art; the unprecedented mutation of loud British music into a national past-time that kept the horrors of the drug-war at bay.

Featuring exclusive interviews and concert footage with Masacre, Parabellum, Reencarnacion, Hadez, Ente, Grimorium Verum and more, SOUTH AMERICAN HELL captures a world unknown by looking at Colombia, Ecuador and Peru from the underground up. We hope you enjoy it!

"South American Hell" II: Ecuador - The Dividing Line" focuses on the city of Quito, Ecuador and it's social and political differences... illustrated through the eyes of the heavy metal sub-culture. This unique first look at Ecuador and its extreme music scene tells a tale of a post-colonial land obsessed with its own identity. Centering on the late '80s, early '90s and today, the film looks at the rise of extreme music under Ecuadorian president Abdala Bucaram and explores incidents of violence and injustice associated with his reign.

Documentaries like this often prove to be very interesting, so I am most def looking forward to this. Some of the bands included are great as well. However, the guys behind this have been quiet for quite some time now (first trailer was posted 2 years ago), but I hope this will see the light of day very soon.

479083.jpg

Solefald - World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud

Solefald follow up the prog rocky Norrønasongen. Kosmopolis Nord with a "world metal" album. What is world metal? Well, I don't know. But this is an album where the foundation is black metal, and where all the topping is all kinds of different genres. Traditional music from lots of places on earth, electronica and god knows what. This is probably the most special metal album I have ever heard, and the title to the opening track descrives the song very well: World Music with Black Edges. That's what it is. All the song are different, not only from eachother, but frome verything you've ever heard, yet they manage to keep it SOlefald and they manage to keep it black at the very bottom. I've only given it one spin which isn't nearly enough to have an actualy opinion on the album. There's just way too much to chew around here. However, what I do not is that I really enjoyed the first spin and I can't wait to give it more time later on.

TAU_CD_cover.jpg

Negura Bunget - Tau

Given this oen spin as well, and I am very surprised. I really like what I hear, except for the intro to Împodobeala timpului which is godawful. Sounds like something from a Korpiklaani-record or something like that. But after the intro it gets up in quality again. Atmospheric folky black metal with some surprises here and there. Looking forward to play this a lot in the time to come.

479083.jpg

Solefald - World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud

Solefald follow up the prog rocky Norrønasongen. Kosmopolis Nord with a "world metal" album. What is world metal? Well, I don't know. But this is an album where the foundation is black metal, and where all the topping is all kinds of different genres. Traditional music from lots of places on earth, electronica and god knows what. This is probably the most special metal album I have ever heard, and the title to the opening track descrives the song very well: World Music with Black Edges. That's what it is. All the song are different, not only from eachother, but frome verything you've ever heard, yet they manage to keep it SOlefald and they manage to keep it black at the very bottom. I've only given it one spin which isn't nearly enough to have an actualy opinion on the album. There's just way too much to chew around here. However, what I do not is that I really enjoyed the first spin and I can't wait to give it more time later on.

Thank you for this post, you reminded me I still have to listen to this. Solefald is a very special band, I discovered 'em with Norrøn livskunst and I've been really impressed by the band's originality and awesomeness. I still have to give a try to the rest of their discography though, which should be nothing but awesome. Gotta try the new album asap! 

If you haven't checked out their older albums you should. Their first four albums are by far their best, and after giving World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud a couple of more listens I am sure this will end up being my 4th or 5th favourite from them, which is good considering how amazing this band is. I like all albums, but their four first albums and their demo are magical. The Linear Scaffold are by far my favourite album from them though. Miles ahead of their second best.

Btw, anyone seen this:

Shit's awesome. It's a cool, modernized version of the classic Suicidal Tendencies track. I really like both the song and hilarious video. Good stuff.