The general Metal discussion thread

I'm not a fan of Funeral Mist myself, but Salvation is considered a modern classic and often regarded as one of the best black metal albums in recent times. This and Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice are often mentioned together when talking about newers black metal.

I'm not a fan of either, though. Long time since I heard them, so I might like them now, but I don't remember them as being something for me. But check out both anyway. There's a reason why they're so popular.

Nothing like grabbing a cold beer, turning off all the lights in the house, lighting up some candles, burn some incense and putting on some dak/ritualistic music on tape. That really sets the mood for the evening after watching a horror films. Seeing Urfaust in a couple of weeks (finally!!!), so they're one of the bands that gets some extra playtime nowadays.

Started with Einsiedler, an EP clocking in on 19 minutes (same setup on both sides, so I play it twice).

When this is finished I'll continue with Verräterischer, nichtswürdiger Geist.

Fantastic band. Atmospheric black metal with mostly clean vocals, though there's lots of dark ambient to be found in their discography as well. Dark, ritualistic and original.

Laudata Nex Magick Vol. 1 was fantastic. Six bands whom all delivered high quaity music. Not a single band was worse than very good.

The whole thing kicked off around 7pm on friday with Sortilegia. A female handling the guitar and vocals and a drummer. Nothing more. Dark, evil black metal in the vein of Mare. This was a fantastic concert both music-, visual- and atmosphere-wise. Top notch.

Next band up was Urfaust, another two-man band with guitars, vocals and drums only. Great concert with lots of atmosphere. Fantastic stuff.

Vemod ended the eveing with 50 minutes of beautiful black metal. Very mesmerizing and good, but the biggest disappointment of all the band. It wasn't bad, but where I stood (moved around to see if I could get better sound) the bass drum sounded awful. It sounded as if they had triggered it, but appaently it was only in the middle we had that problem. Other wise it was top notch.

Saturday kicked off with another two-man band, Bölzer, again a guitarist and vocalist and a drummer. This was fantastic. Second best gig this weekend. So fucking heavy and massive. How two men manage to create something this massive, not only on record, but live is just weird. How on earth?

Epic black metallers Cult of Fire continued the evening. We were sitting outside utnil we heard they were gonna get on any minute now, and as soon as we got inside the door we were met with a wall of smoke of incense, and even then, before we'd gotten up to the second floor where they were gonna play the mood were set. This was the best gig for me. A bit troubling sound throught the concert, but it wasn't awful and the stage show was amazing. They looked fantastic, the stage was fantastic and it was amazing. The vocalist moved a lot like Papa from Ghost. Lots of similarities there. loved it! Also, four peole on stage, but no bass here either which makes it 4/6 bands with no bass, and 3/6 with only two people. Awesome!

Ritualistic black metallers Mare ended the weekend with a fantastic concert. Dark and ritualistic, just as expected.

Well, one of the best concerts I've been to. Everything was so very well worked out. 6/6 for the whole thing. As good as it gets. Already ready for a part 2.

I don't know any of the bands you mentioned but it was still cool to read your report. Bölzer will be opening for a Behemoth gig here next year, so this praise definitely made me wanna check them out even more! :)

Bölzer is a must-see. They will wipe the floor with Behemoth. I didn't hear anything but praise for them after their concert yesterday, and no matter where they play they're only getting positive responses from people. Absolutely crushing!

Got more into Season Of Mist lately. Great new releases. My personal favorite being GHOST BRIGADE right now. Got some great Opeth/Gojira vibes.

Listen to this while being stoned --> ultimate experience.

terrorsquad-sin.jpeg

a4855fc0.jpg

Fuck, what an underrated band. Terror Squad's debut is a semi-technical deathy thrash metal assault with lots of twist and turns, and the second album is a lot more progressive, punky, avant-garde and technical. Both fantastic albums! Crushing stuff. One of the most original bands within the thrash metal genre ever. No idea why they haven't made a bigger name for themself after 22 years. Such a shame, really. Took me a while to get into Chaosdragon Rising, because it is a hard listen for being thrash metal, but it's a great album. Their debut, The Wild Stream of Eternal Sin, is a lot better though. Masterpiece!

Fuckin' poserz are dancin' in out sight
No frillz! Gonna fight tonite!
If ya' wanna dance, say ya' prayer
You'll feel our edge of razor
DISCO BLOODY DISCO !!!
We are experts of Budo
Bang ya' head, no chance to say no!
Draw pentagram on the floor!!!
All you dancerz are ritual sacrifice
Good-bye to ya' life, say ya' prayer
We scream our slogan, "FUCK THE DISCO!!!"
We're iron hotfrd
We're possessed of beerz'n'rock'n'roll!!
We're ya' last dance partnerz, shall we?

Set the wild fire!
Burn down the disco!!! Poser'z grave
We beat the beatz of unholy rock'n'roll!
Metal night fever!
Don't shake ya hip, just bang ya' head!
Draw the 666!
On head of poserz! Yyyeeeaaahhh!!!

Bleedin! Screamin! We spit on poser'z face!
Bloody party! Last dance to death
Wear the leater! Girlz! Put on leopard skirt!
Die hard metal!
Burning!! Burning!!

We are poservampire, pleasure is blood of foe
Hear our scream rom black soul
Bloody unholy rrroooaaarrr!!!
Burn the picture of Travolta!!
All disco in this world will end by this final war
All wimpy dancerz! Feel the firrreeeggghh!!!

Solo: Murder Machine

Attack the D.J. booth oh yeah!!! Burn the recordz of Bee- Geez
Play the Venom recordz "Welcome To Hell"!
Sodom! Satan! Angel Witch!!!
"Pure Filth"! Mighty Warfare!! Voivod! "Thrashing Rage"!
Hellhammer! Celtic Frost! Kreator!
At War! Zoetrope "Kill The Enemy"!!!
Don't Forget Artillery!! Don't ya' know?! Go fuck ya'self!
"Bestial Invasion" Of Destruction! Sabbat! "Black Fire"! Terror Squad!
Bulldozer! Dark Angel! Exciter! Luli! "Got Killed"!
Play The Raven! "Rock Unil You Drop"!!
Carnivore! Whiplash! "Power & Pain"!
Sacrifice! Possessed! Bathory! Nasty Savage! "No Simpathy"!!
Yeah!! "Evil Invaderz"! Razor!
Cheek time dance with Countess Bathory!!!

Solo: Waltz For Nemesis

WWWOOORRRGGGHHH!!!
DISCO BLOODY DISCO!!!
You're victim of razor!!
Dance ya'last dance and say bye to ya' youth. And Pray!
Adios! Adieu!! Poserz! We squeeze outa tearz oh yeah!!

Dancerz! Here comes the night of tragedy!!
Just only danced. But under the guillotine!
Sons of Satan! We're possessed beast
Death leather army! We're eternal heresy!
Deeds of iron command to you. Bang ya' head
If ya' don't obey our rule, ya' must die in this inferno!!!
TOTAL HOLOCAUST IN THE DISCOTHEQUE!

Set the wild fire!!
Burn down the disco!! Poser'z grave
We beat the beatz of unholy rock'n'roll!
Metal night ranger!!
Don't shake yaìhip, just bang your head!
Draw the 666!
On head of poserz yyyeeeaaahhh!!!

I love the lyrics to the song. I like disco too, but it's fantastic anyway. Sooooo cheesy, but that's a part of metal, innit? And I love how many bands and albums they put into the lyrics. Always nice with a homage to bands that influenced you.

Japan's got some crazy thrash vocalists. The guy in Fastkill is absolutely insane. Another great Japanese thrash metal band. They don't reinvent the wheel or anything like that, they just play fast, brutal, straightforward and bonecrushing thrash metal. They're more in the vain of Morbid Saint and lack the unique touch Terror Squad's got. Fast as fuck thrash metal. The vocalist is a bit of an acquired taste for sure, though. I love him.

Also, the new Solefald EP leaked today. It's not a very good rip, but I couldn't hold back. Sounds fantastic. It's not metal, but it still sounds like Solefald and a continuation of their last album, Norrøn Livskunst. Very unique. I'll actually go as far as saying there's something very Scandinavian over how it sounds. Can't wait for a proper rip.

Check out my old friends from Evil Invaders. They started out as a garage band with just random fuckery a couple of years ago and now they share the stage with the big names already such as Destruction, Morbid Angel, Tankard and Overkill.

I can't see any youtube videos right now, but is it the speed metal band from Belgium? Cool band name, taken from Razor's classic album I assume. Can't remember what the band sounds like, though. Will take a new listen one day.

Arcturus is currently mixing their upcoming album. Looking forward to something new. Should be fun!

Just listening to the new Anaal Nathrakh album, it's not bad. Seems to be a little more simplistic than the ones before, or more direct. It's an okay listen, tho I've heard better (maybe it's more of a grower).

Been listening a lot to Swedih death metal lately and thught I'd try to make a top 10 list of best albums released before 1995. Just for fun. I'm sure I could've changed the last five for five other albums with no problem. It's just too many great albums released around that time. Had I made a best swedish death metal albums ever-list I would've included the debut albums of Morbus Chron and Death Breath and demos of Vampire and Beastiality as well.

1. Nihilist - (1987-1989)

2. God Macabre - The Winterlong...

3. Merciless - The Awakening

4. Entombed - Left Hand Path

5. Carnage - Dark Recollections

6. Nirvana 2002 - Recordings 89-91

7. Toxaemia - Buried to Rise: 1990-1991 Discography

8. Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream

9. At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease

10. Therion - Of Darkness....

When I get home tonight I will try to make a top 10 for the american scene as well, just for fun. Maybe try a top 10 thrash from around the world as well. US/Germany/rest of the world or something.

You should do Finnish because that's probably the only one where I could maybe come up with a top 10 list myself. 

It's been so long since I've gone through a lot of the Swedish "essentials" that I don't really know how they would hold up for me now years later, though I know for sure that I'd vouch for the first AtG, Nihilist, Left Hand Path and Merciless. I've probably heard everything with some profile, but it has been probably close to years now since I did that. My memory isn't all that good either and I probably wouldn't have been able to even name ten bands from the top of my head if I was put to a spot.

Tonight I was going to refresh my memory on Nirvana 2002 and God Macabre but I got distracted and opted for Sarcofago, Blasphemy and Beherit instead. Tomorrow I'll try to go through some demos.

Yeah, that's actually not a bad idea. I'll see what I can dig up. I doubt I'm familiar with anything old school that's not very known, though.

You do that, boy. God Macabre are one of my all-time favourite death metal acts. It sounds Swedish as fuck, but still very unique. They make me think of Candlemass a lot.

This is probably my top 10 from the Finnish death metal scene. And as with the Swedish, I've included compilations with material from the early 90's, even if they were released in 2014.

1. Abhorrence - Completely Vulgar

2. Rippikoulu  - Musta seremonia

3. Adramelech - Spring of Recovery

4. Disgrace - 1990

5. Necropsy - Tomb of the Forgotten - The Complete Demo Recordings

6. Convulse - World Without God

7. Depravity - Silence of the Centuries

8. Anguish - Ground Absorbs

9. Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

10. Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation 

The rating isn't completely right, though. Depravity could be higher, but I am too lazy to fix it. Anyway, Finland had a very strong scene, just like Sweden had and it's a shame they mostly remained underground. It's not really any worse than the Swedish to be honest. The classic Finnish sound to me, with bands such as Abhorrence, Convulse, Depravity, Disgrace, Necropsy, were a lot more putrid and macabre than the Swedish and American. It's simply more graveyard and crypt, if you get what I mean. Lots of brilliant stuff. Demilich and Demigod deserves a place on the list too of course, but with so many good bands it's hard to choose which one to add and which one not to add. Impossible.

And, Finland also has a few newer bands that have given us top notch death metal. Krypts released some fantastic stuff. I was let down by the debut album which was less Finnish than the demos and EP, but it wasn't bad. It just lacked the macabre twists of their demo and EP. And Swallowed have released some amazing demos and a quality EP, and they just released their debut album whih is immense. I hear a lot of Beherit, Teitanblood and Cultes des Ghouls in the new album, as well as Autopsy and especially Abhorrence. Sounds like an almost perfect album.

And you, Disposeable? Any favourites from the different scenes?

My favorite from the Finnish scene is Demilich by far, everything they released. I'm trying to go to one of their shows next year http://www.steelfest.fi/ I don't really care about anything else on the lineup, but I'll try to catch Nokturnal Mortum if I get the chance and maybe even Anaal spite the horrible drabness of their output as of late. They're great live despite the fact that I don't like their music.

There's one list that I can do on a whim and that's the metal I've been playing for the past year.

Napalm Death's Peel Sessions album. Easily my favorite Napalm Death release and one of my all time favorite metal releases in general. From Enslavement to Obliteration is obviously genius too but stuff like the Godflesh sounding intro on Multi-National Corporations is hard to top. 

Peel sessions releases in general are the shit like the Extreme Noise Terror and Godflesh ones, which I've also been listening to on occasion. 

Mayhem's Live in Leipzig. Same as above, favorite Mayhem and one of my all time greats. This is the production I thought fit Mayhem the best and Dead is phenomenal in it. Right now De Mysteriis sounds very sterile and studio to me and the energy of the of the live recordings is sorely missed. 

Sarcofago, Profanatica and Beherit. I never get tired of these. Highlights of the genre and very inspirational. 

Incantation's Onward To Golgotha and Massacra's Final Holocaust. More long time favorites that have stuck around. I'd actually like to know what you think of Incantation since I don't recall us ever talking about them. 

Demigod's Unholy Domain and Archgoat's Angelcunt EP's. Both bands peaked in these and I rarely if ever venture beyond them.

But that lineup is pretty awesome.

Bands I'd see for sure:

Dark Funeral playing Secrets of the Black Arts. Great album, and desite not being known as the best liveband around that must be awesome

Nokturnal Mortum

Melechesh

Sargeist

Cosmic Church

Demilich

Kawir

Bands I'd probably take a look at:

Asphyx

Temnozor

Ketzer

That's pretty awesome IMO.

Also, I can see you don't waste your time on mediocre music. Good shit. And the peel sessions are great. I think Bolt Thrower's The Peel Sessions 1988-90 are my favourite among all the peel sessions. Thin Lizzy's The Peel Sessions is also fantastic and among the best there is/was. Another bands I've really gotten into as of late. Got some free Thin Lizzy LPs and decided it was about time I actually checked them out properly. Great band! Really, really good.

And I prefer De Mysteriis... to Live in Leipzig.  Attila is so much better than Dead. I like Dead, but he lacks a bit of character IMO. Attila's ghastly vocals suited the De Mysteriis... songs better and have a lot more character as well, and the drum sound on De Mysteriis, especially the toms, sounds amazing. Best drum sound ever.

And Archgoat have released way better albums than Angelcunt.. Both full-lenghts are better IMO. More bestial and savage.

Definitely agreed there, Hellhammer and Attila both were magnificent. I've had the Leipzig/Mysteriis debate a few times and it always ends up as a agree to disagree on which one is "better". It really comes down to preference in this case, because the albums have very different characters 'spite sharing some of the songs. Attila really is amazing and the drumming is so tight that De Mysteriis comes off as meticulous and ambitious, the overall sound of the album being more "mature" if you will. The cover art is actually a pretty good depiction of what is sounds like. Leipzig on the other hand is very rough, sporadic and full of youthful energy with Dead's off-kilter performance and relentless Euro' riffing.  - But of course according to the general consensus of this forum Dead sucks because he couldn't win American Idol or perform like Pavarotti ( edit: originally wrote cover lolol ). Embarrassing. 

Downloaded Demoncy's Joined in Darkness which I surprisingly haven't had on my computer for years. Also going to give a memory refreshing spins to Musta Seremonia and Abhorrence. 

Just listened to Spring of Recovery and the Finnish sound is just what you described it. Very much prefer it over the Swedish and North American sound, though some American bands I really enjoy to this day as well on a semi-regular basis.

Most often it will come down to preference. While I do prefer De Mysteriis..., Live in Leipzig are one of the best live albums out there. Roughly produced that makes it sound as if the band is standing right in front of you when listening to it. Same with Krieg's Kill Yourself or Someone You Love and Iron Maiden's Live After Death. There's no overdubs or anything like that on these albums. These are pure live albums. This is how I prefer my live albums. "Live" albums such as Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, Kiss' Alive II and Judas Priest's Unleashed In The East are fantastic albums, but they're not exactly live, are they? All have been fixed on in studio, some more than others. I want my live albums pure. I want them to give me an actual live feeling. Sadly, few live albums are capable of that.

Joined in Darkness is fantastic. You should check out Faustian Dawn / Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost as well. Just as good as Joined in Darkness IMO.

Absolutely. I've been on a massive live recording binge for months now, be it official releases or bootlegs. The only bad thing about this is that one very easily ends up hoarding a ton of bootlegs and filling up disc space.

Now listening to Sepultura's Bestial Devastation. South American essentials are great shit 2. If you could make a list on those that'd be swell.

This thread made me want to listen to metal again. Got Black Flames of Blasphemy festival coming up in two weeks and I'm not sure which day I'll go. It doesn't really have anything that I want to see in particular, but quite a few that are interesting inc. That bölzer that I should probably check out before deciding.

Yeah, I'll do a top 10 South American bands as well. The 80's scene there was pretty badass. Way too many great albums from that scene. I'll see if I can come up with a list after I get home from the store.

There's some amazing bands playing there. Mgla, Absu, Bölzer and Black Witchery are great live bands. Some other bands there I'd love to see as well. I'd go on the day Mgla plays, no matter what other bands play that night. One of the best bands I've seen live. They're one of the bands that realy lives up to the hype, both on record and live.

For the South-American scene I've decided to only include death/black/thrash metal albums from the 80's. A bit easier than to include the early 90's as well. The most extreme "scene" of them all. Way, way ahead of everyone else as far as extreme music goes. Take Parabellum for instance. The two songs on Sacrilegio was pretty extreme when it was released in 87 and grindcoe and brutal crust punk were on the rise, but these songs were released already in 84, and they were performing them live around that time as well. That is absolutely insane. So, so, so many years ahead of its time.

1. Sepultura - Morbid Visions / Bestial Devestation

2. Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance

3. Sarcofago - INRI / Rotting

4. Mystifier - Tormenting the Holy Trinity

5. Pentagram - Pentagram

6. Mutilator - Immortal Force

7. Panic - Rotten Church

8. Holocausto - Campo de Extermínio

9.  Sextrash - XXX

10. Parabellum - Sacrilegio

Fantastic!

Brilliant list. Ones I had not listened to before were Sextrash and Pentagram and they sound just awesome. This page of the thread is only a couple lists away from having essentially the metal 101. 

Yeah the MGLA day would have Bölzer too with Nargaroth and Taake being apt food and beer breaks outside. From Saturday I'd see Black Witchery, Archgoat and Absu. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/absu/2014/enigma-bar-adelaide-australia-23c22ca3.html The beginning of the set could use some work but obviously they have to squeeze new songs somewhere.