The general Metal discussion thread

Cool. Looking forward to hearing your verdict on Dissection. I can't really decide on which one's my favourite of The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane. In recent years I've used to lean a bit more toward The Somberlain, but before that I had Storm of the Light's Bane as my favourite for many, many years.

Goddammit, that distortion/guitar tone on the first Bloodbath album is slaying me so hard... especially here:

Yay for 6-stringed buzzsaws / electric razors~

Thank you for reminding me of Fullmoon and Infernum. These are records I had and even gave a spin as a kid, however I was too dumb at the time to appreciate any of the classics from the Polish scene. An year or two later I finally got into Graveland and Veles, but had already forgotten about Fullmoon and Infernum so I never got to give them a second outing.  

What'd ye think of the last years Peste Noire? I gave it a shot yesterday and... I really don't have an opinion on it. Requires more listens. 

Thank you for reminding me of Fullmoon and Infernum. These are records I had and even gave a spin as a kid, however I was too dumb at the time to appreciate any of the classics from the Polish scene. An year or two later I finally got into Graveland and Veles, but had already forgotten about Fullmoon and Infernum so I never got to give them a second outing.  

What'd ye think of the last years Peste Noire? I gave it a shot yesterday and... I really don't have an opinion on it. Requires more listens. 

Good to see someone enjoying the good, old polish classics too. A few of them are a bit hard to get into, though. I didn't fall for some of the classics at first listen either. But patience pays off.

I think there was something very special about some of the early black metal cires such as The Temple of Fullmoon (Poland), Les Legions Noires (France) and BlazeBith Hall (Russia). A small group of friends forming a shitload of bands and helping eachother out with the releases. SOme shit obviously, but there was some seriously great bands from these cirles, and some proper classics released as well. Good shiet, from the tie when black metal was still dangerous and filled with mysticism.

I thought Peste Noire was a step back. It's a very good album, but instead of continuing what he started with Ballade... I thought he went back and played it out pretty safe. Was hoping for something crazier, something more fucked up. It's basically a mix of elements from all the previous albums, with very few new ideas. Very good, but not on par with La sanie..., Ballade... og L'ordure... Not even close. The song from the new split is kinda where I expected Peste Noire to continue with the self-titled one.

That's a seriously great song. A bit fucked up, very weird but highly enjoyable.

Jigsaw: Yeah, the album sounds really dirty and rotten. You just gotta love that. Happy you enjoy it too.

1349 releasing a new album now. Judging from the new songs released it's their best since Hellfire for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yr1BXIN9Y

It's a very good song IMO. The bass drums takes way too much space in the sound, but other than that it sounds cool. They also tried something slightly original with their band picture too. Didn't work out too well IMO, but kudos for trying:

569585164bf57f8a1e8703b19497bdbc_L.jpg

I remember listening to the song they first previewed from the album, and wasn't too thrilled -- or, well, it sounded good but nothing special. This one sounds similar, kinda okay. I'll definitely listen to the album when it comes out tho, their style is pretty cool.

Also, I've been spinning some Dissection lately, I gotta say I like their '90s albums better than Reinkaos but that's not bad either. Probably the first one I liked best. All good stuff tho, thanks again for the mention / recommendation.

I wasn't too thriller about that one either, especially not the thrash metal riffs in the song. But they'll never reach the greatness of Beyond the Apocalypse, or even not Hellfire which are pretty good. Fast, furious and thrashy black metal. Had their own thing going with these two albums. It's fun to hear Frost let loose and play with his actual skills, unlike what he's been doing with Satyricon these last 15 years.

Awesome! Dissection had a massive influence on the swedish black/death scene back in the 90's, and bands like Vinterland, Dawn, Sacramentum, as well as someone a bit newer like Watain, were quite obviously inspired by Dissection and drew a lot of inspirations from Dissection's unique brand of melodic black/death metal. All these bands released some fantastic albums as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THxmvfIpRA

The Vinterland album is my favourite of these, but both albums and the EP by Dawn are fantastic, and the debut album and EP by Sacramentum are also fantastic. Classic stuff!

Khold doing a cover of Sepultura's Troops of Doom in Norwegian. Sounds very cool, even though I had wished for an even Kholder version with more of them in the sound. I wasn't too impressed with the title track of the album, though. I really disliked the opening riff of the song.

Great band, btw. Their two first and Krek are highly recommended from me. Groovy, rockish black metal, but not in the vein of newer Satyricon or anything like that. Darker, more black metal and angrier.

Hah, I just downloaded the new Khold album this morning. xD Only kinda vaguely knew about them before but the song with the music video seemed okay enough, so giving this new album a try. Also grabbed the new 1349.

Tell me how it is then. If they've managed to recreate the magick from their two first albums or Krek, then it's gonna be good. But I doubt it. Or even better, recreate the magick from the early days of Tulus, which is the band the members were a part of before forming Khold. Fantastic band, and sadly underrated.

I love old Akercocke, but their two last albums are pretty poor IMO. Both albums are poorly produced and they both sounds really forced, and on top of that I really thought they lost their character with those albums.

Tell me how it is then. If they've managed to recreate the magick from their two first albums or Krek, then it's gonna be good. But I doubt it. Or even better, recreate the magick from the early days of Tulus, which is the band the members were a part of before forming Khold. Fantastic band, and sadly underrated.

Well, only listened to it once so far (along with some of their older albums), I kinda don't really remember much. XD All of them just blend together for me, but they were nice enough for me not to skip any tracks. So I guess it's the same style as always, worth at least a try.

Also took the new 1349 for one spin, wasn't bad. Some cool crushing/heavy stuff in there.

Cool! Guess I should give it a spin then.

New Primordial song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472Qh4l1pFU#t=127

Fucking genius as usual from these guys. Fantastic song, and A.A. Nemtheanga proves once again that there's no one in the world that can match his vocal performance. No one's even close. That devotion and passion. Only Quorthon of Bathory can match this, but other than him I can't think of anyone who sings with as much passion. Powerful!

That song is more or less perfect. 6/6

This is just as expected from these guys.

God, that Primordial song is powerful. Immense!

Been giving Troll's comeback album, Neo-Satanic Supremacy lots of spins lately. Not as good as their first album and EP (from 95 and 96), but it's a good album.  Bubble gum black metal, or as I call it, black metal for people who usually ain't into that tuff. Sounds like late 90's black metal, both as far as song titles, image and music goes. Some of the song titles are awful, though. Especially Til helvete med alt (which roughly translates to To Hell With Everything). But musically, great stuff. If you're into albums such as Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Gehenna's First Spell, Old Man's Child's Ill-natured Spiritual Invasion and stuff like that you might enjoy this.

Though, Drep de kristne (Kill the Christians) is the album you really should check out. Masterpiece!

I'm only halfway through but damn, that Abysmal Grief compilation album that came out this spring is just awesome! It's mostly old unreleased demo tracks and some live/rehearsal stuff thrown together but it has such a killer vibe throughout... some of the band's best work, I dare say!

I mean...

Btw they are teaming up with SaturninE for a Europe tour next year ("Funerals Across Europe") between April 24 and May 9... hopefully someone near will book them~

In other news: Marduk just started recording for their next album titled "Frontschwein", gonna be out in January 2015. Having high hopes, their previous one was quite nice!

Would love to see Abysmal Grief, but I doubt they'll come to Trondheim. Shame. Would be cool if they were booked to next years Inferno.

Not too interested in a new Marduk to be honest. Rom 5:12 is fantastic, and Those of the Unlight and Opus Nocturne are both very, very good. Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered and Dark Endless is alright as well, but other than that I'm not a very big fan of the band. A good song here and there, but that's it for me.

Panzer Division Marduk are one of the worst black metal albums ever. I can't think of many albums within the genre that's worse.

A bit overrated band IMO.

^ I don't know about overrated in general, but Panzer Division Marduk is definitely an overrated album, for sure. It's not bad for what it is (a mindless power demonstration, lol) but nothing too remarkable. I find myself getting back to some of their albums from time to time, three especially:

- Those of the Unlight, despite the genre it's quite a catchy collection of tracks (On Darkened Wings is still my jammm)

- La Grande Danse Macabre, because of its tendency to get a bit more varied with all those sweet slow doomy passages

- Plague Angel, for being such a fantastic relentless sonic assault showcasing the creepiness of Mortuus for the first time

But yeah, I could understand someone not being really into them... I guess they might be a bit generic and run-of-the-mill for the most part but as I don't listen to tons of black metal, somehow these guys struck a nerve with me, and remained among my usual listens ever since.

I don't think Mortuus were that good on Plague Angel actually. If I'm not mistaken he came after it was written and didn't get to put his touch on the album, and I think that shines through. It's as if they wrote music to fit Legion's vocals, and then he left and Mortuus cae in and they jst didn't bother changing anything. I just don't think it fits his vocals much at all. But that's just my opinion.

Rom:512 however, fits like a fat girl in a pair of fat jeans. The production is the best they ever had, and Accuser / Opposer are by far their best song ever. A.A. Nemtheanga is as good as he ever was, and the chemistry between him and Motuus are fantastic. Both helping eachother to sound even better. Impressive song with some impressive vocal work by both.

Also, gotta add that Mortuus is an insane vocalist. Few harsh vocalists have had such a range. The only people with a bigger vocal ranger than him within the genre, are people who are also talented clean singers. Insane guy. Shame he doesn't sing on many albums that I enjoy though.

Gotta agree with you there, he sure knows how to catch an atmosphere and go to the max with his vocals. :)

Is his other band Funeral Mist worth checking out?