The general Metal discussion thread

Fuck yeah! Sextrash's debut album is great as well. The other stuff, not so much. Huge fan of Pentagram too, who released their first proper album this year. It's allright, but not anywhere close to the old demos and EPs.

Saw Absu live back in 2012. That was geat. Not a fan of their recent outputs myself, but I didn't mind them live. The band was amazing from A to Å. Was tight as fuck, and Proscriptor was immense. Imagine playing like that AND doing the vocals at the same time. Insane. He was unintentionally funny between the songs, though. Talking with his harsh vocals, which is always kinda stupid. But other than that, top notch gig. Black Witchery I got to see this year, and it was pretty fucking sweet.

Since I've been making some lists these past days I though I'd make a top 10 death metal albums of the year, in no order, while I am on it, because I think this year have seen a great amount of amazing death metal releases. The best year for death metal in a long, long time.

Rude - Soul Recall

A fantastic death metal album in the vein of Pestilence's classic death metal albums Consuming Impulse and Testimony of the Ancients. And this might be seen as blasphemy by a lot, but I actually think this album is on par with those two albums.  I hear a lot of Morbid Angel, Death, Obituary and Celtic Frost as well, but this is very much a Pestilence-esque album, and it's fantastic. 9/10

Swallowed - Lunarterial

Since their first demo in 07, this band has gotten a lot of well-deserved attention, and they've released some of the best death metal after the early to mid 90's. They've gone from a sound similar to Nihilist on the first demo to a more Autopsy-inspired sound on the second demo. Funnily enough the first demo has a Nihilist cover and the second an Autopsy cover. Yeah, to a more doomy, gritty and Disembowelment-inspired sound on their debut EP. With the bands first full lenght they've gone in new directions again. This album sounds pretty original to be honest, without being new in any way. I get some Disembowelment from the death/doom riffing, but I also hear a lot of Teitanblood in the chaotic parts of the album and some Cultes des Ghouls in the varied vocals. Massive, massive album. 9/10

Execration - Morbid Dimensions

Execration's previous album, Odes of the Occult, was a masterpiece within the genre, and sounded original without being original. Just like this. Morbid Dimensions isn't as dark and twisted as Odes of the Occult, but it's a more varied album. While the groundwork her eobviously is death metal, there's a lot of black and doom to be found here as well. There's close to no original riffing to be found on the album, but the way everything is put together makes it sound very, very unique and original. Fantastic album! 9/10

Death Vomit - Gutted by Horrors

Death Vomit hails from Peru and plays old school-sounding, dirty, cavernous and rotten to the core death metal of the purest kind. This is done many times before, but who gives a fuck when it's done as well as it is here? Originality: 0/10. Execution: 8/10. 8/10

Bölzer - Soma

Blackened death metal act that lives up to the hype. The sound is rather original to be honest, and the song writing is top notch. It's impressive how massive a band with a guitarist/vocalist and drummer can be, both on record and live. 8/10

Cauldron Black Ram - Stalagmire

I'll admit that I am a bit disappointed by this occult pirate-themed death metal band's third album. They've gotten gradiually worse with each album, and lost some of its power. But that's not to say that this is bad, because it really isn't. Black/death metal with lots of doom and sludge influences. With this album they've gone in a more atmospheric direction, instead of the more riff-oriented stuff they released before it. 7/10

Diskord - Oscillations

These guys plays a technical and progressive type of death metal that I'm usually not too fond of, but these guys pulls it off every single time. It's hard to actually describe the sound of this band. Just check it out. Oh, and listen to that bass sound. Daaaamn! 8/10

Teitanblood - Death

Dark, chaotic and twisted black/death metal in the vein of no-one. You can hear obvious influences here and there, but there's nothing out there that sounds like this. They've taken many step away from the likes or Blasphemy, Archgoat and Proclamation which seemed to be the inspiration for their previous efforts. Fantastic album! 8/10

Behemoth - The Satanist

Ever since the release of Demigod this band have just been one huge disappointment after another, but with this release they're finally back on track. With The Satanist Behemoth takes a trip back in time, in the time before they become just another modern death metal band. There's some death metal elements left in their sound, but this is way closer to black metal than death metal. Say 80% black metal and 20% death metal. Epic, crushing and really, eally well done. Probably their best album since Satanica. Not only is the music and production better than on their past five albums, Nergal sounds great again. He's not sounded this good since the mentioned Satanica. Sounds more powerful. This is the blackest this band has been since Grom, but it's a very majestic and epic form of black metal. 8/10

Possession - Anneliese

Possession impressed the underground with their 2013 demo His Best Deceit, a massive demo consisting of ugly and evil black/death metal. They continue that path with this EP and impress once again. Eerie, dark and crushing black metal with fantastic vocals. The production could've been better for the drums, but everything else is top notch. Think a mix of Blasphemy, old Sepultura and Celtic Frost. Such a promising band. 8/10

Here's my list of most disappointing death metal releasesthis year:

Vampire - Vampire

Vampire causted quite a stir in the underground with their 2012 demo, and I was among them who was damn impressed. But me, I wasn't just impressed. I was in shock over how amazing the demo was. Despite being just a demo, it was one of the best death metal releases ever made, and I even went as far as calling it a classic after listening to it just once, and that's something I still stand by. The songwriting was close to perfect and the production was perfect. Vampire is Vampire's first full lenght, and the songs are great. None of the new songs matches the four songs found on the demo, but they're still good. The production however, isn't. It's way too polished. It lacks the ugly rawness of the demo. It probably deserves a point more or so, but I just can't. I'm too disappointed. I don't get how a death metal band, especially considering how fucking 80's the music is, can be happy with a production like this. It doesn't make any sense at all. 6/10

Morbud Chron - Sweven

Good album, but a huge disappointment. This will be the disappointment of the year I think. Their demo, Splendour of Disease, first EP, Creepy Creeping Creeps, and debut album, Sleepers in the Rift, are some of the best death metal produced post 1989 IMO. Masterpieces! They were unoriginal, but so well-written and great I can't hail them enough. Then came A Saunter Through the Shroud, which is a solid EP, but a huge disappointment. They found a more original sound for themself and became a lot more progressive and playful. I was disappointed, but it was still a good progressive death metal album. Sweven however, is just... I don't know. Mediore? 80% of the album sounds the same and the songwriting is pretty boring and predictable. It's all the same. There's barely any death metal left, and they've gone all Opeth with this album. It's not a bad album, but it's not that good either. Amazing at its best, but it rarely hit the top and that's the problem.

And I have yet to hear the new releases from a lot of bands that I expect to be good. Necros Christos, Vader, Gluttony, Drowned, TrenchRot, Domains, Horrendous, Autopsy, Nunslaughter, Sabbatory, Skelethal, Crucifyre, Under the Church and Unaussprechlichen Kulten to mention a few, so I still have a lot to dig into later on.

I'm too much into atmospheric stuff recently, whether it is black or death. If you guys could recommend me some awesome bands to check out, that'd be kind of you. And if it could be something similar to Agalloch, that'd be even better!

You could try bands such as Gallowbraid, Fen, first Ulver, Empyrium, Alcest, Drudkh and even Woods of Ypres and Falloch, even though I think they suck.

But especially Gallowbraid are close to Agalloch, and Fen too, but they're a bit more blackish and less folkish. But the bands mentioned should interest you.

Falloch are awesome imo, I really loved "This Island, Our Funeral" even if I still prefer "Where Distant Spirits Remain". Concerning Ulver, I tried all their stuff (which I find totally mind blowing) unless their 90's era (don't include Kveldssanger, I loved that one). I think I read they had recorded only one black metal album, is that right? Anyway, unless Falloch and Ulver, I don't know any of the bands you mentioned so gonna try them all and maybe give my opinion if I got some free time.

Thanks a lot, dude.

Two. Ulver released Bergtatt, which is their folk-influenced black metal with a lighter approach to the genre, and Nattens Madrigal wich is a grim and ugly form of black metal.

But Gallowbraid should please you. Agalloch clone to 1000. Drudkh plays atmospheric black metal with some folk. I like all, but their first four and Microcosmos and Eternal Turn of the Wheel are masterpieces. Great, great band!

Thanks for the information. Just finished listening to "Ashen Eidolon" from Gallowbraid and it's totally the kind of sound that I was looking for, I'm a little disappointed because it's sounds maybe too much like Agalloch but nonetheless it's still a fucking masterpiece. Thanks for that band. Otherwise, I read that they'll release an album this year... Are there more news?

Anyway, now I'm gonna continue my listen and try the other bands. 

Besides that, I'd like to talk a bit about Battlelore as I said some weeks (months?) ago that I was going to try their stuff... Well, I've tried all their discography except their latest album, Doombound. I really enjoyed their first three albums which are totally awesome but sadly, the rest didn't had the same effect on me, less memorable imo. Plus, I dunno what you think about that, but I feel like their sound went weaker over the years (precisely after their 3rd album). They're still an awesome band though, even if I appreciate them it's basically because of their first three masterpieces (the 1st being my favorite one), it's undeniable that their strength are their lyrics. That said, I still gotta listen their latest album. Anyway, thanks for sharing this awesome band with us!

Yeah, for some it might be a bit too much as Gallowbraid is nothing but an Agalloch clone, but I think Gallowbraid has got more than enough character to work very well. As for the album, no idea. It's more than a year since he last mentioned it I think. Hoping for some more news soon.

Yeah, you're right. They kinda left most of the extreme metal element behind and went in a doomier and more gothic direction with their fourth album. But Doombound is recommended for fans of the three first. They've gone back to the more extreme days of old, but perhaps a bit less folky than the two first. It's more in the vein of Third Age of the Sun.

I've made a list with my favourite death metal releases for both the Swedish and Finnish scene, and even though Norway never had much of a death metal scene and more importantly not a specific sound, I thought it would suck not to do one anyway because there came some very good death metal releases from Norway in the early-mid 90's.

1. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

2. Old Funeral - The Older Ones

3. Thou Shalt Suffer - Into the Woods of Belial

4. Mortem - Slow Death

5. Cadaver - Hallucinating Anxiety

6. Vomit - Rotting

7. Darkthrone - Goatlord

8. Molested - Blod-draum

9. Cadaver - ...in Pains

10. Amputation - Slaughtered in the Arms of God

Good stuff.

Been spinning both Thou Shalt Suffer and Old Funeral on repeat since yesterday. Both are fantastic.

Thou Shalt Suffer is Samoth, Ihsahn and Ildjarn's first proper band, before Samoth and Ihsahn went on to form Emperor and Ildjarn formed Ildjarn. The album is way better than anything Emperor ever did to be honest, and on par with Ildjarn's best albums (Strength and Anger, Forest Poetry, Hardangervidda). This is one of themore unique death metal release of its time. Haunting and atmospheric with a bit of synth here and there which properly adds to the atmosphere. In many ways this is death metal with the atmosphere and feeling of black metal. Imagine old, old Emperor remade into death metal. Quite unique actually.

Old Funeral are more standard death metal in the vein of old Morbid Angel, but awesome as fuck. Abbath and Demonaz of Immortal, Varg Vikernes of Burzum and Jørn Inge Tunsberg of Hades played in this band before moving towards black metal with their other bands.

Both recommended for fans of old school death metal with great, lo-fi productions and lenty of charm.

This old picture of Varg Vikernes during his time in Old Funeral is also one of the coolest pictures ever:

5004826815_0f2be73dcb_z.jpg

Two. Ulver released Bergtatt, which is their folk-influenced black metal with a lighter approach to the genre, and Nattens Madrigal wich is a grim and ugly form of black metal.

But Gallowbraid should please you. Agalloch clone to 1000. Drudkh plays atmospheric black metal with some folk. I like all, but their first four and Microcosmos and Eternal Turn of the Wheel are masterpieces. Great, great band!

Bergtatt is a masterpiece. I love it all, and I'm pretty sure this album has been over the years a source of inspiration for many atmospheric black metal bands... I really have to give it more listens, it's outstandingly awesome.

Concerning the other one, when you said "ugly form of black metal" I assumed immediately that it was a raw black metal album... I'm not too fond of that genre but this time, Nattens Madrigal really amazed me. I rarely listen to that kind of black metal and yeah, I don't always enjoy something that much. Definitely one of my fav albums ever.

Moreover, I also tried some stuff from Fen (The Malediction Fields, Ancient Sorrow and atm I'm listening to Dustwalker) and an album from Drudkh (Autumn Aurora). I really loved these two bands (maybe Fen more than Drudkh)... Comparing them with Agalloch, their music is really different (fortunately) but it's still awesome. What I'm trying to say right there is that, up to now, I've tried many atmospheric black metal bands but I can't get bored as they're all so original, so creative (and even when it isn't that much original it's still awesome). Anyway, thanks for all your recommendations. I still have stuff to check out but I think I tried the main. 

Yeah, for some it might be a bit too much as Gallowbraid is nothing but an Agalloch clone, but I think Gallowbraid has got more than enough character to work very well. As for the album, no idea. It's more than a year since he last mentioned it I think. Hoping for some more news soon.

Yeah, you're right. They kinda left most of the extreme metal element behind and went in a doomier and more gothic direction with their fourth album. But Doombound is recommended for fans of the three first. They've gone back to the more extreme days of old, but perhaps a bit less folky than the two first. It's more in the vein of Third Age of the Sun.

Sure, I totally agree. So Gallowbraid is a solo project? I thought so at first but I wasn't totally sure about that... Anyway, if ever a new album is released I hope it will be something more personal, creative and surely awesome (as the first album).

Otherwise, two days ago I took some time to try Doombound and I really loved it. As enjoyable as the three first, but these three still special to me. I don't know, they have something that makes them unique, somehow. I think I read somewhere that the band is one hiatus right now, is that so? 

I've made a list with my favourite death metal releases for both the Swedish and Finnish scene, and even though Norway never had much of a death metal scene and more importantly not a specific sound, I thought it would suck not to do one anyway because there came some very good death metal releases from Norway in the early-mid 90's.

1. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

2. Old Funeral - The Older Ones

3. Thou Shalt Suffer - Into the Woods of Belial

4. Mortem - Slow Death

5. Cadaver - Hallucinating Anxiety

6. Vomit - Rotting

7. Darkthrone - Goatlord

8. Molested - Blod-draum

9. Cadaver - ...in Pains

10. Amputation - Slaughtered in the Arms of God

Good stuff.

I tried some links and aside the bands I already know (only one in fact, which is Vomit. The second one is Old Funeral but I only know it by name), Molested and Cadaver really caught my attention. Gotta check their material asap... 

Btw, what a cool picture of Varg! *save picture as...*

I'd like to go back on atmospheric black metal and talk (once again) about Blut aus Nord as they released a new (amazing) album. 

I tried Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry as soon as I was aware of its release, and I loved it. I saw a lot of fans saying being disappointed but I really don't see why, they may be comparing it to the two previous MV (or maybe their oldest stuff) but I haven't listened to MV1 nor MV2 yet, therefore I can't say if it's so. I can't even give a constructive opinion since I only listened the album once, but I'll definitely do it when I'll be able. In short, for a first listen I really find the album mindblowing and I dig it.

Yes, neither Fen or Drudkh are the same as Agalloch, but they do have soem of the same atmosphere IMO. Despite being very different there's something very simiar there as well. As for Drudkh you should check out more albums. The first four, Microcosmos, Eternal Turn of the Wheel and Handful of Stars are all great.

Yeah, solo project. Hope the album will come soon. Been looking forward for it for a long, long time.

Yeah, hiatus. No idea if they'll come back or not. Seems like their main songwriter, Jyri Vahvanen, is busy with another band and wants to use his time on that. Shame, if you ask me at least. They were slowly getting THERE again, and then they go on hiatus.

I think a lot of fans are disappointed with the new Blut aus Nord because it isn't as unique as the stuff they've released since The Work Which Transforms God. This is more straight forward and similar to other bands, than what most of their albums have been. It's back the roots and what they did on their first two albums. This albums gives me a bit of early Blut aus Nord feeling, a bit Drudkh feeling, a bit Cascadian black metal scene feeling and a bit of early Emperor. And I think it's understandable that the fans of their twisted avant-garde material might feel disappinted with this. For me it's their best since The Mystical Beast of Rebellion. The addition of Gionata Potenti on drums is a great addition. Fantastic drummer. Love his drumming in Macabre Omen and Nocternity.

Got it comrade, gonna check these ones asap. Thanks.

Hopefully we'll get some news before the end of the year. 

Their hiatus makes me sad somehow, basically for the reason you mentioned. Let's hope his project is worth stopping Battlelore activities for a long time and see what happens in the future.

So they somehow went mainstream, I should have guessed that this was the reason (even if I haven't tried all their early stuff yet)... That doesn't bother me anyway, as they still awesome. Yeah I dig the drums on that new album too, awesome drummer. Really loved that new album.

Otherwise, currently I also listen to some black/thrash metal bands. Awesome stuff.

lml
Still need to discover other bands tho. 

No, saying that they went mainstream of pretty far off. This is something they've done ever since their second album. All three Memoria Vetusta albums have this kind of style. Epic and majestic, and pretty straight forward compared to the rest, but it's not mainstream at all. It's just the concept for these albums, while other albums have other sounds.

And I'm not too fond of the direction Toxic Holocaust have taken. I prefer their first two albums and stuff released until 2006, as well as Joel Grind's solo projects Joel Grind and War Ripper. I prefer both those to newer Toxic Holocaust as well.

I guess he already knows bands such as Bathory, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Venom, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction and so on, these classic bands with a pretty big status within the black and thrash genre.

Here's a few lesser known bands you should check out:

NME were one of the early blak thrashers, playing in a similar style as Venom, just more blackened.

Sabbat were one of the first extreme metal bands from Asia, playing black metal in the begining before transforming into black/thrash in 99. Lots of people consider their early outputs black/thrash as well, but I don't. For me it's pure black metal as black as only black metal can be. One of the best bands ever.

Aura Noir is an "all star" Norwegian black/thrash band with members from Cadaver, Dødheimsgard, Mayhem, Ved Buens Ende and more. One of the more legendary black/thrash bands around.

Bulldozer is another legendary band, released some fantastic albums in the 80's.

Abigail & Barbatos is the bands of Yasuyuki Suzuki, a legendary Japanese black metaller. Abigail started out as a pure black metal band but got thrasier after the first album, and Barbatos is a mroe punky version of Abigail. He also have a black/thrash band with Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust called Tiger Junkies.

Nocturnal is one of the many bands of Avenger, playing raw, teutonic black/thrash in the vein of old Detruction, Sodom and Kreator.

Cruel Force is a Bathory-worship band. One of the best out of the newer black/thrash bands IMO. The Rise of Satanic Might is a modern classic IMO.

Sauron plays raw, yet catchy black/thrash of the purest kind.

I could probably continue forever. Love me some good black/thrash like.

Toxic Holocaust YEEEAAAHHH :D

@Visutox If you like that old-skewl thrashy aggression, I recommend these guys too: 

http://morbidcarnage.bandcamp.com/album/night-assassins

(repping my home city, heh)

Yup, Toxic Holocaust are awesome! :)

I tried some songs from Mörbid Carnage and they're really really good, awesome stuff...

They have released only one album? Gotta try the one of the link anyway. Thanks for the recommendation, dude!

I guess he already knows bands such as Bathory, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Venom, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction and so on, these classic bands with a pretty big status within the black and thrash genre.

Here's a few lesser known bands you should check out:

NME were one of the early blak thrashers, playing in a similar style as Venom, just more blackened.

Sabbat were one of the first extreme metal bands from Asia, playing black metal in the begining before transforming into black/thrash in 99. Lots of people consider their early outputs black/thrash as well, but I don't. For me it's pure black metal as black as only black metal can be. One of the best bands ever.

Aura Noir is an "all star" Norwegian black/thrash band with members from Cadaver, Dødheimsgard, Mayhem, Ved Buens Ende and more. One of the more legendary black/thrash bands around.

Bulldozer is another legendary band, released some fantastic albums in the 80's.

Abigail & Barbatos is the bands of Yasuyuki Suzuki, a legendary Japanese black metaller. Abigail started out as a pure black metal band but got thrasier after the first album, and Barbatos is a mroe punky version of Abigail. He also have a black/thrash band with Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust called Tiger Junkies.

Nocturnal is one of the many bands of Avenger, playing raw, teutonic black/thrash in the vein of old Detruction, Sodom and Kreator.

Cruel Force is a Bathory-worship band. One of the best out of the newer black/thrash bands IMO. The Rise of Satanic Might is a modern classic IMO.

Sauron plays raw, yet catchy black/thrash of the purest kind.

I could probably continue forever. Love me some good black/thrash like.

Wow, really awesome stuff you posted here. That song from Sabbat is truly amazing, what a masterpiece. Glad to see another legendary black metal band from Japan! (And I guess there's another western band with the same name, right?). Nocturnal seems to be an awesome band, I like the song you shared so gonna check out their stuff asap. Sauron also seems to have some amazing stuff, at least that's what I can say after listening Thrash Till Death. Btw, I'm asking this due to the band's name, do their lyrics deal with the world of Tolkien or not at all? The rest is good as well but the bands I mentioned really caught my attention so gonna try 'em first. Thanks. 

^ Actually, Mörbid Carnage has two albums: Night Assassins (2010) and Merciless Conquest (2013).

I can hook you up with both if you'd like. ;<

Wow, really awesome stuff you posted here. That song from Sabbat is truly amazing, what a masterpiece. Glad to see another legendary black metal band from Japan! (And I guess there's another western band with the same name, right?). Nocturnal seems to be an awesome band, I like the song you shared so gonna check out their stuff asap. Sauron also seems to have some amazing stuff, at least that's what I can say after listening Thrash Till Death. Btw, I'm asking this due to the band's name, do their lyrics deal with the world of Tolkien or not at all? The rest is good as well but the bands I mentioned really caught my attention so gonna try 'em first. Thanks. 

Yeah, there's a western band as well. I prefer the Japanese one, but I love the British one as well. Their two first albums are both classics, with the first one being my favourite. Fantastic stuff with some of the best lyrics you'll ever read. Martin Walkyier is a genius, something he showcased in both Sabbat and Skyclad.

As for Sauron, a few of their songs are based on Tolkien. Witch King and Storm of Ashes. Not sure about the rest. I never checked.

I don't know if there's anyone on Sylosis around here, in any case, I am and I love 'em. I'm shit at tagging bands, especially with bands like Sylosis that really don't have a specific sound. At times it sounds metalcore-ish to me, but mainly thrash and (melodic) death metal. Anyway, when it isn't obvious, I always let the others argue about whether a band belongs to a specific genre or not.

That said, they gonna release a new album on 12th January and meanwhile they dropped a single titled "Mercy" that I really dig. 

It's really good, effective stuff. That doom outro really got me, it makes the song sound even better and also really worth checking it out.

Anyhow, this single lets me hope something good concerning the upcoming album! Can't wait.

This probably isn't of much interest to peope here, but there's finally a official comp with their demo, EP and album out these days. This shit is heavily recommended. Raw, brutal and occult black metal of the filthiest kind. Sarcofago meets Beherit. It sounds absolutely disgusting.

2317_photo.jpg

I don't buy CDs anymore unless it's something special, and this most definetly is. This is getting a spot in my collection. Masterpiece!

I've had a massive kick on Necrophobic the last days. Swedish black/death metal which at times goes into both melodic death/black and thrash metal territory. The earliest albums are my favourites, but Death to All, released in 2009 are pretty fucking cool as well. But it lacks the awesome production of the two first albums, and isn't as strong song wise either. But still awesome. This shit is highly recommended. The second, Darkside, is probably my favourite right now.

necrophobic.gif

Necrophobic+voices+7.png

15567.jpg

This probably isn't of much interest to peope here

Nonsense, Abhorer is legit and I used to love that first Necrophobic album back in the day too. 

Went to Black Flames and Morbosidad played a Beherit cover with Sodomatic Slaughter on drums. Really that alone was worth whatever money I spent on the ticket and liquor. For next year they have Goat Semen booked and I'm already there. 

So my computer died and now I'm in the process of downloading everything all over again. My recent fascination with metal has lasted and I have been re-downloading a bunch  :lolita_cheerful: So speaking of kicks, now for fun I've consciously tried to stick to a certain sound dwelling within the realm of occvlt goatfago and prominent heavy metal influence that I find very inspirational. Drawing Down the Moon, everything Profanatica and Blood Upon the Altar/Fallen Angel of Doom are in the heaviest rotation as all time undisputed favorites, but along with those two I have lined up classics from Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate and Master's Hammer that I feel go seamlessly with the aforementioned; and along with that I have gotten some things that fall in the middle like the 90's Greek sound of Rotting Christ, Varathron and the early Septic Flesh. There's also some Venom and Sigh's Scorn Defeat thrown in for good measure.