The general Metal discussion thread

Never really tried Body Count before. I mean, I've heard an album here, an album there, a song here and a song there, but never actually gave the band a proper chance. I know their debut is considered a classic so I will check it out.

Also, had a grindcore kick the past weeks. Thought I'd make a top 10 grindcore albums list and post here before the weekend ends. You guys go on post yours as well. Interested in seeing what other grindcore albums people like. I've decided to keep it at one album per band too, if not 7-8 of the albums would've been divided on three bands. But I can promise a damn cool list for anyone interested.

Any love for Morton in this thread?

I love these guys, I think they're very very very underrated or just lacking in popularity. The lead singer also has some crazy vocal range

Obviously power metal isnt everyones cup of tea, but my tastes tend to sway a lot from deathcore & death metal to symphonic or power metal genres.

Here's my list of top 10 grindcore albums:

1. Blood Freak - Sleaze Merchants

Blood Freak is one of my all-time favourite bands, and this is one of the best albums ever released. The band is mainly inspired by 70's and 80's horror and exploitation films, an that is something that I always felt Maniac Neil always managed to get through the disgusting music. 36.55 minutes divided on 22 tracks of sleazy grindcore, and like their biggest musical inspiration, Impetigo, they use a lot of movie samples as intros to the songs. The band plays dirty and sleazy grindcore with lots of nods towards both death and thrash metal. I'd say that the album is pretty varied for being a grindcore album.

Awakening the Beast

One of the most catchy grindcore songs ever. Slow, heavy and dirty as fuck.

2. Impetigo - Ultimo Mondo Cannibale

Old school grindcore and one of the albums that help define the genre. Lyric-wise it's all about 70's and 80's horror films and gore, just the way I like it. This isn't the most brutal album out there, but it's one of the best and a must-have for any fans of death metal or grindcore.

Bloody Pit of Horror

3. Repulsion - Horrified

Another one of the early classics that helped define the genre. It's brutal, it's catchy and it's immense. The production is so fucking good and the songs are even better. Everything you can say about this album have already been said. Great album!

Black Breath

4. Frightmare - Midnight Murder Mania

This was Maniac Neil's band before Blood Freak, and you can hear the similarities. But this has even more death and thrash metal influence. Imagine a slasher film in musical form, that's basically what this is and with titles such as Cropsy, Thorn In Their Side (The Slumber Party Massacre), Friday the 13th, Slasher Holocaust, The Prowler, Be My Bloody Valentine, Black Christmas and Frank Zito, The Maniac it should be quite easy for any horror fan to tell that this band is all about slasher films.

Friday the 13th

5. Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law!

When we think of Bolt Thower we think of heavy, crushing and Iron Maiden-esque death metal, but at the very begining they played old school grindcore of the best kind. Crusty, sloppy, filthy and dirty.

In Battle There Is No Law

6. S.O.B. - Don't Be Swindle

One of the very first grindcore albums, and one that was released the same year as Napalm Death' Scum, and a band that Napalm Death "stole" riffs from for their second album, From Enslavement to Obliteration. That is how good this band is. Lots of hardcore and lots of thrash, but ultimately this is grindcore, and it's great.

Raging in Hell

7. Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration

Widely regarded one of the finest grindcore albums ever, and it truly is. Cold, disgusting and hateful grindcore that shouldn't need an introduction. A perfect blend of catchy punkiness and brutal grinding madness.

From Enslavement to Obliteration

8. Terrorizer - World Downfall

Another one of those early grindcore albums that helped define the genre and make it what it is today. And one of the things that made this standout from the rest of the grindcore bands of the time, is how well-played and well-produced the album is. Grindcore used to be pretty sloppy, but this is tight as fuck, and the production is thick and razor sharp. Massive album!

Fear of Napalm

9. Machetazo - Trono de Huesos

WHat is this you say? This is legendary spanish grindcore with no lyrics. Yeah, you read right. From 94 to 2007 the band released three albums, some EPs, splits and demos, but none which featured lyrics, just noises. A great record by a great band. Brutal, yet catchy, and the production is fantastic.

Banquete Funerario

10. Extreme Noise Terror - A Holocaust in Your Head

Call it brutal crust or call it grindcore, it doesn't really matter as both termsfit perfectly. Extremely intense, brutal and over the top album which should please fans of both crust and grindcore, as long as you don't mind it sloppy. The dual-vocal is one interesting aspect as well: two vocalist with highly different style handles the vocal duties, and it sounds awesome.

Murder

Follow ups:

11. General Surgery - Necrology

A Carcass clone that does Carcass better than Carcass themself. It's that good. It is especially the production that makes this a better listen than Carcass IMO. Most would disagree on this though.

Severe Catatonia in Pathology

12. Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

Not as good as General Surgery, but still a fantasticl album. Very unique for its time, especially because of the leads.

Embryonic Necropsy and Devourment

13. Asesino - Corridos de Muerte

Grindcore in the vein of Machetazo I'd say, but not as good. Fantastic vocals!

Corrido del Asesino

14. Altar of Giallo - A Bloodfeast for the Dead

Mid-paced Impetigo, Autopsy and Repulsion-inspired grindcore which is more about putrid atmosphere of horror and gore, than brutality and riff-awesomenes.

Last Man on Earth

15. Gruesome Stuff Relish - Teenage Giallo Grind

Impetigo and Repulsion meet Carnage and Nihilist. Everything about this band is very classic, and I adore the lyrics. Simple and straight to the point, but the horror fan in me can't get enough of that kind of lyrics. Very cool. Good band!

How can I not love lyrics like these:

I can remember the first time I saw "The devil and the dead". "Cannibal Ferox", "The gates of hell", "Graveyard disturbance", "Eaten alive". I found my way, I saw the light. Umbero Lenzy, Michele Soavi, Lamberto Bava, Antonio Climati, Dario Argento, Joe D`amato, Lucio Fulci, Ruggero Deodato.
Cannibals and zombies. The jungle and the gore. Gods of the splatter. Mondos and softcores.
"Zombie flesh eaters" saved my life. "Inferno", "Gomia", giallo all the time. "Cut and run", "Dr. Butcher M.D.", "Demons", "Deep red" and "Zombie 3". Frank Martin, Vincent Dawn. The kings of zombies will put you down! Mario Bava, the old school. Spaghetti terror is pretty cool!!!

Jungle Rites

Also, if anyone's interested in some new black metal you should check out Volahn, one of the many bands formed by a small group of people that belongs to the Black Twilight Circle. The debut was good, but their newest, 2014's Aq'Ab'Al, is amazing. The production is raw, yet both rich and organic, the music is pretty melodic black metal and is filled with unbelievable leads (the leads are out of another world!). The rest is fairly standard, but the atmosphere is unique and the only bands I can think of that manage to create atmoshere similar to this is a few of the other BTC groups like Kuxan Suum and Odz Manouk. Both worth checking out too. Fantastic bands.

Yeah, the cover looks weird but it does fit the music on the album. No kidding.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned these guys (or even heard of them), but I'm really into DEAD IN THE MANGER. They are anonymous, they don't even title their songs, and I wouldn't be surprised if their physical releases didn't have any lyrics written down, all to let the music speak for itself. They have been described as having a "blackened grindcore" sound, with influences of other types of extreme metal.

They just released their second mini album a few days ago called "Cessation," and here is one of the songs from that mini:

Full Inferno line-up for this year. A disappointment seen with last years eyes, but I am more than satisfied anyway:

BEHEMOTH, ENSLAVED, BLOODBATH, ARCTURUS, MY DYING BRIDE, 1349, TAAKE, KAMPFAR, ENSIFERUM, NAGLFAR, SEPTICFLESH, SKELETONWITCH, DØDHEIMSGARD, GOATWHORE, SVARTIDAUÐI, VIRUS, ANTICHRIST, DEATHCULT, DØDSENGEL, EXECRATION, BLODHEMN, SLAGMAUR, SARGEIST, VULTURE INDUSTRIES, MORTUARY DRAPE, SECRETS OF THE MOON, MOMENTUM, PATRIA, MISÞYRMING, SOLBRUD, ADE, GALAR, SHEOL, CRESCENT, SECTU, SINMARA, KRAKOW, INNER SANCTUM, DOOMRAISER, THE OSIRIS CLUB, HAEMOPHAGUS

Bands I want to see (the bold are the bands I feel I just can't miss):

Behemoth

Bloodbath

Arcturus

My Dying Bride

Dødheimsgard

Svartidaudi

Deathcult

Dødsengel

Execration

Slagmaur

Sargeist

Vulture Industries

Mortuary Drape

Secrets of the Moon

Mispyrming

Sinmara

Bands I'll take a look at if I have enough energy:

Kampfar

Naglfar

Goatwhore

Antichrist

Haemophagus

So, a disappointment seen with last years eyes, but it's still a strong line-up with more than enough interesting bands. I will enjoy this.

My girl is keen on seeing Ensiferum, so I might have a look at them if she comes for one day as well.

The Ukrainian black metal pioneers from Drudkh have revealed the title of their next full-length, which will march under the flag of "A Furrow Cut Short."

The album has been scheduled for release on the 20th of April 2015. Pre-sale will commence late February, which will also mark the revealing of the album's cover art and tracklist.

Season Of Mist comments:
"Drudkh maintains a strict policy of no interviews, no pictures, no live performance, and no statements. Yet everybody following the career and art of the band's mastermind Roman Sayenko will be aware that 'A Furrow Cut Short' cannot have been conceived without the dire situation of his Ukrainian homeland under military attack of a nuclear power playing a role in its inspiration."

This is awesome news. While I wasn't too impressed by Estrangement, Microcosmos and Handful of Stars to start with, I've grown to become quite the friend with these albums, especially Microcosmos. But their last full lenght, Eternal Turn of the Wheel, was a massive step up in quality and they delivered an album which was harsher and bleaker, and more similar to their first four albums, than Estrangement, Microcosmos and Handful of Stars. So I really look forward to this album. Stil have a long way to go before they're matching any their first four albums both in quality and atmosphere, though.

But their last full lenght, Eternal Turn of the Wheel, was a massive step up in quality and they delivered an album which was harsher and bleaker, and more similar to their first four albums, than Estrangement, Microcosmos and Handful of Stars. So I really look forward to this album.

This, basically. 

I am also really looking forward this release, it might be as awesome as Eternal Turn of the Wheel

Just some random awesomeness: I remember checking out Wait and Pray by Insane, brought to my attention by @Bear in the "copycat / clone bands" thread for their amazing early Slayer-inspired stuff. So I was out shopping for a new headset at Media Markt, and guess what I run into in the bargain bin... :D For like €3 I couldn't leave it. Amazing to be able to randomly find this in some random Hungarian store lying around in a stack of discount CDs. Fun stuff!

What the fuck, guys? Am I the only one who enjoy Dødheimsgard here? No way, that's can't be. Such an unique and great band, and when they seem to return to form after a decent, though very disappointing album, no-one even comments of the brilliant song? Disappoiting.

Kronet til Konge (10/10)

Monumental Possession (8/10)

Satanic Art (10/10)

666 International (9/10)

Surprisingly awesome, I wonder why did I never heard about 'em. It's sad how the most amazing bands are always the most overlooked ones... Although Dødheimsgard seem to be quite well known. But whatever. They remind me Solefald for their avant-garde/experimental-ish side, and Aphelion Void is a 15:14 minutes track of pure enjoyment, I could say the same concerning the tracks you posted (Traces of Reality is tremendous). It looks like a great night to get into their entire discography and get lost into there, enjoying their amazing talent.

i feel like sensei is missing something but still nice!

full mv

Surprisingly awesome, I wonder why did I never heard about 'em. It's sad how the most amazing bands are always the most overlooked ones... Although Dødheimsgard seem to be quite well known. But whatever. They remind me Solefald for their avant-garde/experimental-ish side, and Aphelion Void is a 15:14 minutes track of pure enjoyment, I could say the same concerning the tracks you posted (Traces of Reality is tremendous). It looks like a great night to get into their entire discography and get lost into there, enjoying their amazing talent.

I wonder so too. They're obviously not the biggest band around, but they have a very high status in the underground and especially the avant-garde album 666 International is much talked about, and is probably one of the biggest love/hate albums in the metallic universe. Their debut, Kronet to Konge and their second album, Monumental Possession, are very overlooked though and a lot of people see the albums as second grade Darkthrone and Aura Noir worship. I highly disagree, though. Kronet to Konge is unique as fuck, and different than every other black metal album released back then. Watain, who are nwo very well known, covered one of the songs from Kronet to Konge on their debut album, which sounds like 30% Mayhem - De Mysteriis..., 30% Dissection - The Somberlain and 30% Dødheimsgard - Kronet to Konge, with 10% of their own band. Not original, but a masterpiece nonetheless and both much better and much different from what they released later.

Ayway, Dødheimsgard rules both on album and live. Fantastic band!

And a couple of recommendations:

4537.jpg

Massacra - Final Holocaust

4538.jpg

Massacra - Enjoy the Violence

Massacra was a french band that released three albums in the late 80's, and then debuted with FInal Holocaust in 1990 and followed it with 1991's Enjoy the Silence. Behind the amazing coverarts you'll find raw, uncompromising deathrash in the vein of old Merciless and Protector, with lots of old Kreator and Slayer thrown in here and there. Two brilliant riff-orgy's by a band that should be a lot bigger.

the finnish war metallers (black/death) Archgoat are 6th on the finnish mainstream list, and 3rd on their indielist this week. That's impressive for a band making music like this.

http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallin...albumit/2015/6

The mid-section, man. Jesus chist, it's just too damn good and evil. Turn off all light, light some candles, burn some incense and let the rituals begin. All hail!

Wow that's indeed really impressive, especially for Archgoat. Fucking tune mate! Reminds me that I still have to check out the new album.

Holy shit, Melechesh's new album is a fucking killer. I think I just had an eargasm, what a piece of art! These guys are definitely one of the best bands around, hands down. The Epigenesis was a good album for sure, but this one is miles better imo. The first track sounds a bit like a "Rebirth of the Nemesis (Enuma Elish Rewritten) 2.0" and it's not a bad thing. Plus, I wouldn't even mind if all of their albums started with such a tremendously awesome song. Also, "Enki - Divine Nature Awoken" is a masterpiece. This new album is easily going on my list of the top 2015 albums. Only listened the album once but I plan to listen it again and again. A full review could come if I'm in the mood in the coming days. First impression score:   :4.5: (I think I just underrated it, if you ask me).

I also tried ATR's new album, and in order to avoid of always repeating the same thing everywhere, I'm just gonna say what I posted in other places: I really enjoyed the new album. It's not as good as they old material, but better than AWYCW and FWAM for sure. I somewhat feel like The Order Of Things is a mix of everything we heard since All That Remains formed, condensed into one album. All in all, it's a DECENT one and I like it. You can think whatever you want but this is how the new All That Remains sounds like, and they won't change, whether you like it or not. Listened it once too, gotta give it a few more spins. First impression score:  :3.0:

Yeah, the new Meleches album sounds great. Better than The Epigenesis, which I consider their weakest, and on par with As Jerusalem Burns... Al'Intisar and Emissaries, which I love. Their most thrashy effort for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it (as soon as I exhaust the Wizard's material :) ).

btw if any of you guys like old-school inspired death metal, here are two nice local bands from my city who just released their first EPs:

Gravecrusher - Morbid Black Oath

Coffinborn - Beneath the Cemetery

The sound may be a bit similar cuz like it's almost the same band members (some of whom are also in the excellent Mörbid Carnage and Tyrant Goatgaldrakona) but pretty cool imo. Nothing special but solid. Maybe Coffinborn is a bit more dirty/thick sounding and occasionally doomy, while Gravecrusher has more of a Florida/Sweden mashup style going on. xD

Also yay for Mark Riddick cover art! :D

Been playing Coffinborn a lot lately. Solid stuff, but it lacks the extra touch that'll make me revisit the band over and over again. Great coverart, though. No, AMAZING coverart.

2014-Beneath_The_Cemetery.jpg

That's so fucking badass.

Arcturus-Arcturian.jpg

1. The Arcturian Sign
2. Crashland
3. Angst
4. Warp
5. Game Over
6. Demon
7. Pale
8. The Journey
9. Archer
10. Bane

8th may

I like Sideshow Symphonies a lot, so I really look forward to this album. I expected something along the lines of Sideshow Symphonies as well.

Just tried the new Carach Angren album and I'm surprised, it sounds so good. There are some symphonic parts that are just mesmerizing.