The general Metal discussion thread

Agreed. Burzum up until Filosofem, as well as Belus, are brilliant. Consider Fallen a really good album as well, though a slight disappointment after the fantastic Belus.

Really like older At the Gates as well. Everything up until Terminal Spirit Disease are amazing. I enjoy Slaughter of the Soul as well, but it doesn't work as well over period of times. Great album once in a while, but it gets slightly annoying if you play it a lot, unlike their early stuff.

I've been playing this masterpiece a lot lately:

51H0uQNDUDL.jpg

Timeghoul - 1992-1994 Discography

Easily one of the best death metal releases ever. Unique death metal, but if you enjoy Nocturnus, Demilich and Morbid Angel there's a big chance you'll like this as well. But this isn't a copy of anything. Completely unique album unlike every other album out there.

^ Preach the word. 

I listened the new Peste Noire and it's fucking great, the 2nd half of the album is solid af. Amazing. 

Listened to that one myself too and I guess I thought it was alrite for what it is. 's kind of stuff is not my thing, but I can't h8 on the PE because of how charming Famine's signatures are. I'll play it again when lyric translations surface up somewhere. 

Timeghoul is legit and so are the first AtG and Burzum.

unleashed-dawn-of-the-nine.jpg?x=330&y=3

Just listened to the new Unleashed and man, what a bloody boring album. Mediocre if something.

Never knew about this band but seems like they have a new album:

...gonna listen for sure, sounds pretty sweet.

Have mentioned this band several times in this thread. Haven't heard Evil Power yet, but I saw it had leaked yesterday and I am looking foward to it. Their two first albums and EP are fantastic. Brilliant live band as well.

unleashed-dawn-of-the-nine.jpg?x=330&y=3

Just listened to the new Unleashed and man, what a bloody boring album. Mediocre if something.

I think this sums up this band as a whole. Was pretty good up until 92, but it went downhill from there.

Any love for Raunchy? They almost seem to be a clone of Monuments of sorts with some Born Of Osiris mixed into when it comes to the heavier parts.

elements of metalcore and melo-death with a little thrash in some songs.

me fucking gusta though i have to say. 

I think this sums up this band as a whole. Was pretty good up until 92, but it went downhill from there.

You're being merciful here. Their sound has always been generic imo, some cool stuff here and there but that's it. Overrated band. 

I enjoy listening some of their stuff though. 

They've always been generic and something like a 3rd rate swedish death metal band, but I think they managed to create something unique and special for their first few releases - not riff-wise, but just as far as the atmosphere goes. I like 'em, but it isn't a band that is getting much playtime. I guess I should give Unleashed up until 95 some spins in weeks to come.

Speaking of Swedish death metal, I came across this new release recently:

Nothing mindblowing but good for a listen. Awesome guitar sound too.

:)

I've finally got to listen Cruachan's latest album and dude it's fucking solid, totally loved it. 8,5/10

Also listened to the new Sigh and I loved it, total success. Really good album!

Been "re-discovering a couple of albums lately:

a1764478040_10.jpg

I've never been a fan of technical music in general, and even though I've known Atheist for 10 years, I've never managed to get into any of their albums. I've always enjoyed the pre-Atheist band R.A.V.A.G.E. as well as the Atheist demo, though. But never ay of their album. Well, that was up until recently, because over these past couple of weeks I've been playing this album like mad. This album is simply fantastic. Ripping technical death/thrash on the deathier side with lots of character. Fantastic album. Glad I finally decided to check it out again.

Like a nice mix of Death, Pestilence, Nocturnus and Sadus or something. Doesn't sound too bad, does it?

db1b9a99.jpeg

Technical death/thrash in the vein of Atheist, just more on the thrashier side than Atheist. Another album I've known for many years, but not been too keen on. Until now recently. Geat, kickass technical death/thrash with plenty of character. Not quite Atheist, but really good.

Like a nice mix of Atheist, Sadus, Coroner and Ripping Corpse or something. Doesn't sound too bad, does it?

I need to continue dig into all those technical bands I never got into because of their technicality. Should find plenty of golden albums.

Swedish occult rockers GHOST have set "Meliora" (Latin for "better") as the title of their third album, due on August 21.

I am looking forward to this. Both albums are fantastic, but I was a bit let down by the production on their last album. But everything else was top notch. They might be the very best live band in the world at the moment as well. Stunning liveband.

It's getting closer and closer to summer, and the weather is, at times at least, really nice. This, for me, means thrash metal and crossover. However, why the fuck did "all" the great thrash metal bands turn towards groove metal sooner or later? Some went down the groove lane early on, while some later, but a shitload of these thrash metal bands turned towards groove metal at one point. It's so fucking disgusting. Worst genre in history of music.

Sepultura with Chaos A.D. They've already lost me at Arise, but at least Arise is alright if nothing else. Chaos A.D. however is absolute trash. It's so bad.

Anthrax with Sound of White Noise and many of the albums that would come. Everything up until Persistence of Time is good, but then they got groovier and shittier.

Annihilator with King of the Hill. The quality dropped massively with their third album, Set the World on Fire, but it wasn't until The King of the Hill that the band turned really sour. From there on and until now the band has sucked so bad. Ew.

Sodom with Masquerade in Blood. While not proper groove metal, there's more than enough groove metal elements here to make me vomit. Awful album. Everything up till MiB was actually pretty good. But this album. Fucking hell.

Overkill with I Hear Black. The first four albums are amazing, the fifth is cool, then came I Hear Black and the band turned to shit. Shitty groove metal made for pussies, like groove metal in general. Crap.

Testament with Low. I only need Testament's debut album, but everything up until Low are pretty good. Low however, is low. Such a shitty album with plenty of groove metal thrown in. It's so god damn bad.

Slayer with Diabolus in Musica. I lost interest with the release of South of Heaven, and I think South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss and all the following albums are boring. But it was the groove metalinfluenced nu metal shit that is DiM that really turned these guys into a poor joke. Such an awful album.

Destruction with The Least Successful Human Cannonball and All Hell Breaks Loose. I lost interest in this band after Eternal Devastation, but both Release from Agony and Cracked Brain and fairly enjoyable albums. Then they turned groovy, and aside from The Antichrist which i enjoy, everything's been groove metal-influenced shit. Godawful.

Exodus with Force of Habit, but especially with Shovel Headed Kill Machine and the other albums with Rob Dukes. Force of Habit is groove metal influenced as fuck, and bad as well. But with Shovel Headed Kill Machine they took it all to a new level. After a close to perfect comeback (with one awful song, which hapens to be a groove/nu metal song) they turned sour with the groovy shit. Shame really.

Lääz Rockit with Left for Dead. A modern-sounding comeback album released in 2008. Groove metal from A to Å. Can't stand this piece of shit album.

Sacred Reich with Independent. The American Way was bad, but Independent was their low. Godawful album.

See a pattern here? While some bands had already become uninteresting, most of them didn't turn GODFUCKINGAWFUL until they went for a groove metal influenced sound, obviously very inspired by shit like 90's Pantera, Machine Head and the likes. It's seriously the worst genre ever. Ugh.

^ Yeah, it's interesting to see the pattern. I guess they felt compelled to "groove it down" a bit, with all those alternative rock/metal bands springing up at that time trying to ride the grunge wave in the (semi-)mainstream. At least that's what I've always heard.

And yeah, none of the groove-metal stuff of any thrash band is particularly noteworthy, at least from what I've experienced. xD I kinda didn't mind Slayer's transition that much, tho I don't listen to those two (?) '90s albums too much either. However, God Hates Us All I still hold in very high regard (maybe it still has some remnants of the groove sound, mixed with some hardcore elements). Can't speak about the other bands, cuz I either don't listen to them or just skip their albums that are generally deemed awful, haha (like with Sodom and Destruction).

To be quite honest I believe plenty of the bands might have been pushed by their record companies, but it was also something new towards the mid 90's and something that proved to be popular among the people, so I guess someone also went down that lane to get more fans. And of course, plenty of them liked the genre in general. But I hate the genre and wish they had gone down another lane.

By the way, I must add that Sodom's Better Off Dead, Tapping the Vein and Get What You Deserve are proper underrated albums. Also by me until recently when I rediscovered the albums.

With Better Off Dead the band went in a slightly darker and heavier direction. Still pure thrash metal, but somewhat a new sound for the band.Catchy as fuck.

With Tapping the Vein they went in a more death metal-influenced direction. This album is just sheer brutality. Headcrushing thrash/death metal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tetiWfH2tGA

With Get What You Deserve the album went in a punkier direction adding plenty of hardcore into the album. Still brutal, but in another way than Tapping the Vein.

^ Damn, I should get into these albums more! That Skinned Alive track sounds brutal indeed!

And while we're on the topic: Entrails just released their new album "Obliteration". It's Swedish, it's death metal, those two bits of information tell you all you need to know about the sound. Not even halfway through yet, but it's already pretty good. Dat gheetar sounddd.

edit: and more cool albums in the "what's new" category: Dopethrone's "Hochelaga" is pretty solid, Elder's "Lore" is utterly riff-gasmic. Dem doomin' riffz.

Godawful video, but the song is actually pretty good. I'd do fine without those poppy female vocals, but aside from that it's good. Dani sounds better than he's done in years. I get a very 1998-2000 Cradle of Filth vibe from it. Hm.

aww I kinda like the video too. XD Also yes, pretty nice song and Dani seems to be in much better form than on their last album. It's strange, I've become kind of accustomed to the albums of the past few years over time, there's always something good/interesting going on in them. Maybe just too long for my taste at times. I hope this new one will deliver because this is a promising omen.