The general Metal discussion thread

Damn, been having a massive canadian thrash/speed metal kick lately. This is a scene that's always been overlooked, but I don't get why. It's not any worse than the american or german scene IMO. So many great albums. My top 10 Canadian thrash/speed metal albums:

1. Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy

I have written about this album many, many times on this forum, and I will keep on mentioning it because it's one of the finest thrash metal albums ever. It's borderline death metal at times and it's dark and evil sounding. A must if you're into early Slayer, Hobbs' Angel of Death, Possessed and more.

2. Razor - Evil Invaders

Razor, a band that is just as known for their ridiculous coverart as their music, but fuck the haters, both Executioner's Song and Evil Invaders have top notch artwork. Anyway, the band started out as a speed metal-influenced band, but already on their second album, Evil Invaders, they had moved much closer to the thrash metal of Slayer, Sacrifice and Dark Angel, despite being released just months after their debut album. Evil Invaders is an ridiculously catchy thrash/speed metal album.

3. Slaughter - Strappado

Death/thrash with one of the coolest productions ever. to me, this is death metal, just like Possessed and early Death. Mentioning Death, Chuck Schuldiner of Death was in the band for a short period of time in 86, and they've released a rehearsal with him. Anyway, raw, brutal death/thrash that should please fans of old Death, Possessed, Hellhammer and Celtic Frost.

4. Exciter - Violence & Force

This band named themself after Judas Priest's proto-speed metal anthem "Exciter", and is considered one of the first speed metal bands. At the time they released their debut they were considered one of the fastest and heaviest metal bands up until then, and they didn't exactly cool down for their follow-up either. This IS speed metal. This sums up everything that speed metal is. Essential!

5. Voivod - War and Pain

"Everyone" knows Voivod, but not everyone knows their first two albums. The band would go in a more progressive direction with each album, but their two first albums, and especially the debut, is a punky thrash metal album with more attitude than they would ever show again. Most people consider the more progressive Killing Technology and Dimension Hatrösstheir masterpiece(s), but I consider the two first, and especially the debut, to be their best.

6. Voor - Evil Metal

Another death/thrash masterpiece, but unlike the other bands in this list, these guys never got as far as releasing an album... or an EP... or a single. Two demos in 85 is all they got to release until almost 30 years later when they reformed and released a new EP. Anyway, both demos are collected on the 2010 compilation Evil Metal and it's worth getting i you're into first wave death metal. Think Venom goes death metal. Top notch!

7. Sacrifice - Forward to Termination

Fast, brutal thrash metal in the vein of early Slayer or Dark Angel. Pretty brutal for being thrash metal and not bordeline death metal or anything. A must!

8. Razor - Custom Killing

As weird as it might sound, this is an album I've recently started listening to, despite being more than familiar with the band. Razor's been known for makign shorter, fast and furious songs, but Curstom Killing is Razor gone prog. It's pretty boldy for a thrash metal band to kick off both the A and B side with 11 minute long songs. It's more epic and way darker than their other albums. This album is Razor's black sheep of the familiy, but I don't get why because this album is amazing. Do not stay away! This will most likely move up on my list as I let it grow on me in the future. Just need some more time to grow. Anyway, it's amazing after 10-15 rounds.

9. Annihilator - Alice in Hell

Fantastic, technical speed/thrash metal. Think a mix of early Megadeth and Testament, just way better and more exciting than both. It's more to dive into and more to grab a hold on. Neither of the two mentioned bands would even dare dream of making something as bold and cool as this. The attitude, man. Jeff Waters' riffage combined with Randy Rampage brilliant vocal delivery makes this one of the best prog metal albums of all time.

10. Infernäl Mäjesty -Unhoulier than Thou

While the production is a bit off for this album, I never understood the negativity towards this masterpiece. Dark, mean thrash metal with more attitude than your mom. Underrated as fuck!

It's very even, though. I could easily have swapped some of these albums for Sacrifice's "Torment in Fire" or "Soldiers of Misfortune", Infernäl Mäjesty's "Unhoulier Than Thou", Voivod's "Rrröööaaarrr", Razor's "Executioner's Song", Exciter's "Heavy Metal Maniac" or Soothsayer - Have a Good Time. Hell, maybe even , Agression's "The Full Treatment", Dissection's "Final Genocide" or Overthrow's "Within Suffering". So many great bands and albums.

Nice list! I only actively listen to Voivod out of those bands, so might check out some of the other ones later.

Random: just listening to the new Isvind album, decent black metal (haven't listened to them before).

Yeah, you should. Proper good bands those. All are highly recommended. Also when thinking about it, I'd have Voivod further down. All the way down on 10th to be honest.

I used to like Isvind's "back in the days", but I can't really recall the last time I heard it. It's been years as far as I know, or else it just didn't leave any impact on me the last time I heard it.

Florida death metallers MORBID ANGEL have once again parted ways with bassist/vocalist David Vincent and have reunited with Steve Tucker (pictured)

Says MORBID ANGEL guitarist Trey Azagthoth: "I'm excited to announce that Steve Tucker and I are working together again for MORBID ANGEL and the next record will certainly be an amazingly sick World Beater!"

Tucker added in a June 14 post on his Facebook page: "Lately I have been talking to a good old friend that I haven't had the chance to speak with in years. It's been great! Now it seems I will be a very busy man in the coming months. More news to come!"

Tim Yeung is out of the band as well. I saw them live right before christmas and that was great, but we all know what an Illud Divinum Insanus, so I guess some "fresh" blood is needed. Tim Yeung isn't a big loss either. A very talented guy, but he lacks character IMO. He's just too good of a drummer for the kind of metal Morbid Angel plays IMO. Morbid Angel needs someone a bit rougher.

Cannibal Corpse tonight. Been playing though their last known set list lately, which consists of 3 songs from A Skeletal Domain and Tomb of the Mutilated, 2 songs from Gallery of Suicide and Torture, and one song each from Bloodthirst, Eaten Back to Life, Evisceration Plague, Gore Obsessed, Kill, The Bleeding, The Wretched Spawn and Vile. This was the setlist played back in april, though, so it's hard to say. This was an hour long. It doesn't lok like there's a support band tonight so I think we might get something along this line here.

I'm mad jelly about the rest of Norway though which had Execration as a support. They couldn't make it up here because of their work and shit which sucks, because Execration is way better than Cannibal Corpse. Execration is one of the best new death metallers around and a must for everyone into dark, morbid, unique and original death metal.

Thought Cannibal Corpse did very well yesterday. Went on stage 10 but announced 11:10 that they suddenly had to play their last song, which was Hammer SMashed Face. I believe they had one more which they didn't get to play, though. I had t leave after the intro of HSF, which was a shame but as the intro is the best part of the song I wasn't all that devestated. Had to get to the bus and take the last bus home. Anyway, the sound was good, the band was tight and Corpsegrinder was in a fantastic mood. Made jokes, laughed and was cool as fuck.

Very satisfied with the gig. Happy to finally have seen the band live.

I'm currently on a nice Tankard kick. One of the big german thrash bands, but unlike Destruction, Kreator and Sodom they were never as crushing. A lot more playful and fun to be quite honest. Never really got into anything but their two first albums, but they're both great. Especially Zombie Attack is a masterpiece. Lovely cover art as well. Will try the rest of their discography again soon. See if it works out better this time.

Tankard.jpg

Tankard+Chemical+Invasion.jpg

Tim Yeung is out of the band as well. I saw them live right before christmas and that was great, but we all know what an Illud Divinum Insanus, so I guess some "fresh" blood is needed. Tim Yeung isn't a big loss either. A very talented guy, but he lacks character IMO. He's just too good of a drummer for the kind of metal Morbid Angel plays IMO. Morbid Angel needs someone a bit rougher.

Thor Anders "Destructhor" Myhren is out of the band as well. Good riddance if you ask me. He's quite the riffer, but he's got no personality on stage and I'm not a fan of him at all.

Also, here's David Vincent's reply now that he's finally found out that he's actually out of the band:

"I had good communication with Trey [Azagthoth, MORBID ANGEL guitarist] yesterday and we agree that there are incompatibilities with regards to us working together.

"Trey and I have accomplished amazing things together over the past 30 years and I wish him the best with his future projects. Out of respect for the legacy of these accomplishments, I encourage MORBID ANGEL fans to not take sides, because I am not.

"I look forward to sharing my new endeavors with all of you in the near future. Until then, stay Morbid!"

That is such a classy statement from Vincent. One of the more mature replies I've seen to something like this as of late. Very nice!

No, I have not. I remember their debut album as a very good, semi-progressive melodic death metal album, but it must've been 10+ years since I heard it now. The second one I remember as rather good as well. Then it turned to shit with the third, going in a more metalcore inspired direction ala newer Soilwork (Figure Number Five/Stabbing the Drama), so I gave up on the band pretty fast. But I am sure fans of post-melodic death metal era Soilwork and In Flames could like it a lot.

And I am back on a Rhapsody kick. Seriously, this band's first four first albums are so good. Especially Legendary Tales and Dawn of Victory. This is what symphonic power metal should sound like. One of the very few bands that plays power metal in this vein that are capable of keeping it interesting. Grand, epic and cheesy as fuck of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrBIBfay_xQ

Needs more OH WAH WAH AH AH

Also, not exactly the right place to chat about this issue but that latest Lindemann album makes me sink even further into the earth with shame...after being aware of being a Rammstein aficionado myself like ages ago (UGH, UGH, UUUUUUGHHHHH!!!!) - it's like they made a full-length out of that "Pussy"-song or whatever it was. So cheesy, so greasy :/ 

^ Of course! :) It still plays pretty good, tho there's a bit of wear/damage to the tape at the intro (replayed that and the first track many many times I guess xD).

That's some of the charm with tapes, as well as VHS which I also happen to collect a bit of. You can see/hear what part you love the most after some while. It's a shame that the quality of the tapes and VHS' sinks so fast, but it's still a part of the charm for me. I loved it as young when we borrowed VHS films from friends and we would always be able to see what point of the film they liked best, usually it was a scene with lots of blood and violence or nudity. Always... :P

Just began listening to Cut Up's debut album "Forensic Nightmares". Good ol' solid Swedish death so far.

It has members from Vomitory and God Macabre if that's of any indication to check it out.

edit: Okay, this album was pretty kickass.

Checked it out yesterday and thought it was alright. Sounds like a decent continuation of Vomitory if you ask me. Never been huge on Vomitory and I won't ever be a big fan of this band either, but it's OK for what it is I guess. Should please fans of Vomitory. I'll check out a few Vomitory albums again too I think. Think I'll check out Moribund and Raped in Their Own Blood. Maybe my thoughts on the band has changed since I last checked it out.

I really hate the cover art for Forensic Nightmares though. Looks so cheap and booring.

I'll also add that Tobben never actually released anything with God Macabre. He joined them in 2013 and have only been playing with them live. And while I am on the subject of God Macabre I'll just add that they are godly. The Winterlong... is still among the very best death metal albums ever. Top 5 for sure.

^Abbath´s probably the only black metal dude who smiles (in public). he´s awesome XD

gylve_66288q-560x397.jpg

tumblr_n9sb0jMpRV1qmh7hfo1_500.jpg

fenriz.gif

They're just humans with regular emotions. Smiles and jokes around just like the rest of us.

How fucking good is this song? I can't describe it. Massive. It took me years to actually give Stryper a fair chance, but when I did I was sold on the band at once. Not everything of course, but The Yellow and Black Attack and Soldiers Under Command are great. Will check out Against the Law again as well. Their lyrics tend to be disgusting, though. But just overlook them and enjoy the badass music.

Another recent death metal discovery of mine: Amputory, who have released their debut album "Ode to Gore" back in May. A sweet & short, to-the-point, awesomely riffin' slab of concrete-heavy death from Finland. Killer stuff.