The general Metal discussion thread

I find lenty of good songs on all albums post-Midian, with the exception of Thornography which I find godawful, but I never really bother with them because they are all too long.

While they've been writing plenty of great songs over the past 15 years, they just don't get the whole "less is more" thing. See if you can find a pattern here:

Damnation and a Day never gets bad, but there's just too many fillers. Should never have gone above the 55 minute mark. Remove 20-25 minutes and you're left with a great album.

Nymphetamine never rwches the hights of Damnation and a Day, but it's still got good songs. Remove 30-35 minutes and you're left with an OK album.

Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder is somewhere inbetween Damnation and a Day and Nymphetamine as far as quality goes, but again it's 20-25 minutes too long. Other than that there's much good usic to be found here.

Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa is the shortest of the ones mentioned, being 8-9 minutes shorter than Godspeed, yet it's 15-20 minutes too long. Plenty of good music, but way, way too long.

With The Manticore and Other Horrors they manage to restrict themself to only 50 minutes, but the overall quality of this film is decent at best. Nt bad, just not all that either.

How good is this song? Superb!

New Cattle Decapitation album out on August 7.

DAMMIT, MY BODY IS SO READY.

Random fun fact: Phil Anselmo will be doing some guest vocals on one of the tracks~

I just checked out the upcoming metal releases for what remains of the year and there are not that much that interest me, just a few. The new Leprous coming up in 4 days (which might have leaked already, need to go check) the new Paradise Lost for which I have high hopes, the new Dagoba coming up on the 22nd of June and I think that's all. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the new Ghost.

There is also a Tolkien Metal band named 'Carn Dûm' who are releasing their self-titled album on the 6th of June. Never heard of them but I might check 'em out. 

I really hope that Gojira will announce an album to save the year but I'm pretty sure that if ever they release something it will be for 2016.

And gonna drop this here just in case you guys haven't checked it out yet:

Awesome. 

Whow. I don't think I have listened to Paradise Lost since.... well, since they had a brief Depeche-Mode-worship-period in the 90s (which I thoroughly enjoyed for that matter). But this sounds pretty neat.

The new Nile album is coming (and their Europe tour too!), so stoked!!

The reigning kings of technical, historically-themed brutality, NILE, are currently in the studio wrapping up the mix of their upcoming album » What Should Not Be Unearthed «

Produced by Nile and mixed by Neil Kernon. The album will be released August 28th, 2015 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The artwork was handled this time by Michal 'Xaay' Loranc.

Mastermind Karl Sanders states:
“All of us in Nile are happy to announce our upcoming newest album “What Should not be Unearthed” . It’s our 8th official album, and this time we believe we have a Truly Crushing disc to bring to Metal Fans. The focus this time around is on Brutally Heavy Metal Riffing and songwriting ; kind of like of an AOTW approach but very streamlined to achieve maximum destructive impact. Our last record, At the Gates of Sethu was super surgically clean and very “musicianship oriented” whereas the new disc is a polar opposite; 
Unearthed is aimed straight at Utter Metal Heaviness and memorable songwriting. Although Unearthed is still full of the kind of Undeniable Musicianship people have come to expect from Nile over the years , it’s the songs themselves that will Hit listeners over the head this time around. These songs will be a blast to play live , and we are stoked at the opportunity to bring these songs to Metal fans everywhere. See you on tour!”

Xaay states about the artwork:
“At first, I would like to express that it was great experience to work on another Nile cover / artwork again. I'm really grateful having been a big fan of the band for all these years.
The Story behind the title goes deeply beneath everything we have already known, and we may not be ready to face. With the art I excavated the theories of an elder ancient civilization which could give the origin to ancient Egypt. That's why you can find a new ingredient in the band imagery, pointing at some higher obscure intelligence, eroding and covered with time. That trace of a dismal legacy is resembled in the outer structure which radiates from the block, sealing the unknown, and it's only an adumbration of what we will meet, once it is removed.
The pyramid-shaped seal in the center doesn't contain a recipe for some Camel Stew or a Pharaoh's dining menu. An experienced eye will notice hieroglyphs taken from the "Book of the Dead", or the Seven Islands of Amentet glyph - depicting the ancient Underworld, and describing the elder reign of God-kings, which had ended circa. 9850 B.C. (perhaps some similarity with that of Atlantis?). But the main thing we should not miss here is a winged scarab sign in the exact center. We all know this most common Egyptian artifact giving protection... so the message is pretty clear... I hope it may become another fine element in band's repository for the Nile themed tattoos.
To sum it up: this album is definitely not a box of candies. Keep in mind that opening the package means you will deal with the deadliest essence...
However, it will be a hard task to hold on to your curiosity. Well... it's a new Nile!”

New Nile and Rotting Christ? No thank you, good sires. I am eagerly awaiting the ucoming Megiddo album though. First proper release since their last album, The Atavism of Evil, released all the way back in 2002. Excellent band, and the new tracks are stunning. It's got a real genuine old school vibe to it, it's just oozing of mid to late 80's. Fans of old Bathory, Celtic Frost and Venom should check out the band. The new track as well as the old ones, event hough the first album has more of a Beherit feel to it as well.

By the way, Vehemence will be releasing a new album this year. Their first album since 2004's Helping the World to See. Melodic death metal that should please fans of Intestine Baalism, Edge of Sanity etc. Original and creative band. I had some problems with the vocals to begin with, but after a while I got used to them. God Was Created (9/10) and Helping the World to See (8/10) are both must-haves for anyone who finds melodic death metal enjoyable.

Metal Insider has uploaded a TV spot that apparently aired on VH1 Classic in which Swedish occult rockers GHOST tease the arrival of their third album, "Meliora", and the introduction of the band's "new" singer Papa Emeritus III, the three-month-younger brother of GHOST's previous frontman, Papa Emeritus II (pictured). Check it out below.

"Meliora" (Latin for "better") is tentatively due on August 21. The follow-up to 2013's "Infestissumam" was helmed by Klas Åhlund, a prolific songwriter, producer and guitarist who is also a member of the Swedish rock band TEDDYBEARS, and was mixed by Andy Wallace (SLAYER, NIRVANA, SEPULTURA, LINKIN PARK, GUNS N' ROSES). Songtitles set to appear on the GHOST CD include "From The Pinnacle To The Pit", "Majesty", "Devil Church", "He Is" and the expected first single, "Cirice", which is tentatively due at the end of May or in early June.

GHOST's June 3 warm-up show at at Doom in Linköping will serve as the group's live debut with Papa Emeritus III.

The latest issue of Sweden Rock Magazine marked GHOST's final photo session with Papa Emeritus II before he was "fired" and succeeded by Papa Emeritus III.

GHOST is planning to return to the studio before the summer to record several cover songs, including one by Leonard Cohen and another by the '80s Swedish band IMPERIET

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ghost- ... GuKWUiV.99

Oh yeah!

The first(?) song and video from Till Lindemann's new project Lindemann together with Peter Tagtgren is out now. Sounds a bit like expected - a mix between Rammstein and Pain. Catchy as fuck and very cool. Really like the lyrics and video too. Hah!

Horrible horrible dumb as fuck song (as expected sadly), but lovin' the video! Their official site, however, has snippets of two more tracks too and I gotta say I'm kinda digging those -- so ridiculous that they're almost great. :D

11295657_455474714621918_517057298619249

The song was up on youtube for some time too before it was removed. Didn't get to hear it myself, but read that it was very Slayer-esque and metalish, just like the band promised whent hey started talking about this album a soon after their previous one was released. This is gonna be so god damn good, and if they've managed a better production this time this might end up as one of the highlights of the year,

The first(?) song and video from Till Lindemann's new project Lindemann together with Peter Tagtgren is out now. Sounds a bit like expected - a mix between Rammstein and Pain. Catchy as fuck and very cool. Really like the lyrics and video too. Hah!

Holy fuck that was bad :S

And I used to be a die-hard Rammstein fanboy...*cringes and shakes his head*

Dan Swanö, man. What an absolute legend. What a genius musician. Not everything's top notch, but he's got a shitload of great releases to his name both as a musician and producer. It's no wonder he's one of the most respected people in the world of (extreme) metal.

11295657_455474714621918_517057298619249

The song was up on youtube for some time too before it was removed. Didn't get to hear it myself, but read that it was very Slayer-esque and metalish, just like the band promised whent hey started talking about this album a soon after their previous one was released. This is gonna be so god damn good, and if they've managed a better production this time this might end up as one of the highlights of the year,

Cirice is great! That's all the guitar work I expected from them in one song.

That's cool, browski. I need to check out their recent setlists though, because I am really not very familiar with anything they've done after Vile. I've heard everything with the exception of their last three albums, but I am not very familiar with any of the others. The last time I heard anything the band did after Vile, was when they released Kill, which is 9 years ago now.

I'm hoping for lots of old goodies, but I expect nothing more than a total of 4-5 tracks from the three albums, which is a shame of course. But it'll be good, I am sure of that.

with the exception of their last three albums

Duuude, you have to check out Torture! One of their best works imo. Their last one (Skeletal Domain) is okay too. Can't remember Evisceration Plague at all tho, haha. But yeah, you should totally listen to Torture, if nothing else. :D

That album and Gore Obsessed might be among my fav CC albums ever.

I will, but I doubt I'll like it much. I'm just not a fan of what they would become, and think they got weaker with every release, and I'm not huge on Corpsegrinder. Not too keen on his vocals. I consider him inferior to early 90's Chris Barnes on every level.