suji

[UPDATE] グラスレ (grass thread) is back (kinda)

prominent visual kei library グラスレ (grass thread) has unofficially been closed after having been inaccessible recently, plus a lack of updates over the last few years. I assume the admin decided to close the door on the site for good.

http://www22.big.or.jp/~yunisan//index.html

Do3eVKBUcAAAbJV.jpg

It's so sad, i really hope that this amazing visual kei library get open again :(❤️ 

IMO, this is not the first time it happened. IIRC, grassthread wasn't accessible several years before due to the owner not paying the server rent I supposed.

So I hope this time it's the same issue, and I will make sure to make a backup of the entire site again because the backup I made years ago still misses some certain pages. If not, at least I still have a backup of the incomplete site.

Well, I have it up in the link below.

There was an issue regarding encoding being in both UTF-8 and Shift-JIS, but I got it fixed by configuring nginx to respect the original character set of each html file. If you encounter a 404 not found page, it means the page doesn't exist to begin with because my backup is incomplete but most of the artist pages should be available.

https://yunisan.boxjapan.com/

Edited by nostalgia

8 hours ago, nostalgia said:

Well, I have it up in the link below.

There was an issue regarding encoding being in both UTF-8 and Shift-JIS, but I got it fixed by configuring nginx to respect the original character set of each html file. If you encounter a 404 not found page, it means the page doesn't exist to begin with because my backup is incomplete but most of the artist pages should be available.

https://yunisan.boxjapan.com/

You save it!!

I used to call the site "yunisan" because that word was the only one readable and identifiable in the link to the site. All the information the site contained was priceless and literally one of my last connections with old Visual Kei.

Really thankful that you saved all the information!

Edited by seikun

14 minutes ago, seikun said:

You save it!!

I used to call the site "yunisan" because that word was the only one readable and identifiable in the link to the site. All the information the site contained was priceless and literally one of my last connections with old Visual Kei.

Really thankful that you saved all the information!

Me too! I always google it with "band name x yunisan"

Let me assume from what it looks like.

The issue behind grass thread going down beside the server rent is that it's on a shared host and the hosting provider has upgraded PHP to version 7 according to the headers which is not compatible with the WordPress version grass thread has been using. This explains why only static HTML pages are still working while HTML generated ones get an HTTP 500 error.

At this rate grass thread may never come back at least on the same URL unless either the hosting provider allows them to choose a working older version of PHP or they upgrade WordPress to a recent version. If it's the latter, there could also be other issues that could break the site due to the gaps between versions.

Edited by nostalgia

vk.gy has also implemented a new feature where grassthread pages are queued and automatically added to the database so they don't get lost. However, they'll have to be manually edited by admin users as it's automatic and may have some mistakes.

It's good to mirror/archive such information so it won't get lost over time. I'm glad that the owner of grass thread is still alive and doesn't seem to lose interest in VK.

Edited by nostalgia