Spike760

Dir en grey

Geez, took me 3 different sittings to finish the Sukekiyo album. My first impression was that it definitely doesn't live up to the hype, but with me being such a casual fan of DeG and their related projects, I can't say that I've been thoroughly blown away by anything Kyo has done in the past. DeG have many songs that I enjoy, but no entire albums. So basically, I feel pretty much the same about "IMMORTALIS" as I would a regular DeG album - a few standout tracks, with the rest failing to really invoke anything in me (tho not being bad overall).

Needless to say, I hope to give "IMMORTALIS" a few more listens (and actually listen to the album in one sitting) before I mentally put it up on the shelf.

I think it's good, but not as good as everyone else is making it out to be... the hype train is just too strong i guess. Is it better than DSS? Yes I think so. Is it better than Uroboros? No not in a million years. that might just be because I've had five years to listen to Uroboros and it's left a huge impression but who knows. Honestly I also find it pretty laughable all these people comparing them to deg in the first place... two totally different sounds should not be compared. and the people saying this is better than 9goats material... I just laugh at them, because they are too blinded by the hype. why would you even compare it to 9goats to begin with? because the bassist is there... okay whatever.

What's the deal with people saying that DEG has to compete with Sukekiyo with their upcoming album? that's just stupid. Tbh i fully expect to like diru's new album a whole lot more than this... with the way they're talking about going back to their roots and doing more simplistic songs and with Rinkaku, unraveling, and STU all being pretty really solid songs (imo) I don't see how the upcoming album can't be good.

Basically I liked IMMORTALIS but I don't understand this backlash of negativity towards DEG all of a sudden... it's beyond me.

Am I the only person who thinks an abundance of toms and less frequent snare usage is actually interesting and not exactly the same thing as every other VK/exVK band currently active? Or do we want everyone to sound like 

What's the deal with people saying that DEG has to compete with Sukekiyo with their upcoming album?

I'd say the DEG and Sukikeyo comparisons were bound to happen. This is always the case when a member from a certain band goes into a new project. In fact, I'd even argue that it's most logical to compare a musicians current work to their previous work, regardless of the individual aims of those works. I think comparing and contrasting these works allows you to more clearly discern the different aims of each. But as time goes on and all of the hype eventually dies off, both works will inevitably have to stand on their own merit.

Besides with a voice as distinct and iconic as Kyo's, it's nearly impossible not to conjure up comparisons to DEG. :lol:

i also thought that some comments are out of spite because they do not like deg's new direction. and found a new way to express it.because of these comments i want to say my opinion.

first i strongly believe that people should do whatever they feel.  i'm glad he did a side project. i'm glad he kept deg.
res was amazing.i never liked 9goats at all. i love deg's music.
i prefer deg than sukekiyo in music. i do not want to write this in the review because it's not a review.
but since i disagree with most i feel maybe i need to express my opposite opinion. i do not really get the hype.
sukekiyo is boring for me in music.i like some songs but i love deg's music.   
also i realize with this how important is the music to love a band and not only the vocals. and lyrics
(nomatter how much i love a voice or the lyrics ,if i do not love the music it gets lost)

sorry for the comparison but you can't really avoid it (i agree with cat 5).  i agree also with dogmax maybe  comparing doesn't help.because  it seems that they are so different that they actually attract people who like different types of music. this is a little strange but apparently true?

i'm not really interested in sukekiyo and kinda makes me sad the thought that if they ever disband ,this is what it will happen and i won't care about it as much. some great loss for me lol. but as i said i  believe that people should do whatever they feel.  i'm glad he did a side project. i'm glad he kept deg.

sustain the untruth is a  verse in repeat in music and i still love it more than everything in sukekiyo.because of the music.and that applies for many deg's songs.random example the only reason i like new version of zan when i hate the vocals is the music.

(also that comment about kouhai. teachers should be proud if their "kouhais" are doing good.  )

Seriously, Shinya sucks for 4-5 years now, ever since they started the faster, heavier stuff. And seriously it sounds to me that the people on the Sukekiyo review site shitstorming Dir en grey relentlessly never really listened to something else than Dir en grey, or at least that kind of music. Like "OH WHAT A REVELATION, there are other ways the guitars and drums can be used?"

Why always compare the two? Sukekiyo are Sukekiyo, Deg is Deg. Deg doesn't do technically complex stuff, that's just something to expect from the band. They came out of a very simple form of rock, and they didn't really progress in terms of technique. Like ever.

How to Write a Dir en grey Song:

1. 4/4 time

2. Diminished scale

And I agree about Shinya. He's a fine rock drummer; but once he starts delving into faster tempi we get the same blast beats over and over again. Even run-of-the-mill death metal bands produce better drum work than Dir en grey. 

And in regards to sukekiyo vs. Dir en grey: I feel as though that's a very vocal minority, and a very childish one (regardless of if the group in question really really loves Dir en grey, or really really hates them). On either side it's as if they are trying really hard to validate their dislike/like for the band. Though, if any of them could articulate their thoughts outside of "sucks" or "is the best band ever", the discussions would be somewhat productive and interesting.

How to Write a Dir en grey Song:

1. 4/4 time

2. Diminished scale

And what exactly is that trying to express (other than saying Shitataru and Myaku are not Deg songs)? In the rock and various metal genres it's fairly common for those structures to appear. Rather strange to condemn them on that. It's just not their formula. If that's your personal approach on good music, then you should try some music doing that. I don't condemn Cannibal Corpse for not using clean vocals.

I completely agree he should not blast beat. He's terrible at it. But I love his work in Rinkaku and Unraveling and I think if Sustain the Untruth was that simple for a reason then perhaps he's learned that blasting is not complementary to his or the band as a whole's songwriting...

Proofs:

Different Sense: needs two hands to blastbeat before the first verse.

Not good.

Only one hand necessary.

Where's the ride cymbal.

It's like some people realized Dir en grey isn't THAT good and you guys come "Hey, I've already aknowledged Dir en grey as a sucking entity for longer than you, so git gud", it doesn't even make sense. Dir en grey's fanbase has always been about this "I'm a bigger fan/hater than you!" but sometimes it just gets ridiculous - like when people started reviewing DSS it really sounded some people were hating it just for the sake of sounding like bigger... haters? Probably the only artists in the world that have people competing to be bigger haters are Dir en grey and Justin Bieber. At least we can agree it's really funny.

About the comparisons: they were just unavoidable, man. Specially when some of us have been unsatisfied with Dir en grey's recent output (Sustain the Untruth, for me) and then a member goes and makes his project, where his vision is allowed to shine, and it turns out to be nice, you start to wonder "hey, what's wrong with Dir en grey?" Are some members feeling "restricted" or something like that? We'll never know, but it just makes us wonder.

Wait..Blastbeat? What blastbeat? I happen to be a drummer in that kid of style spectrum and I can tell you Shinya never did any blast beat. Some snare whirling here and there and some 130 bpm double bass, but never actually blast beats. And thank god he didn't attempt to do it.

I second that. please no gravity blasts.

What? Now I'm totally confused :D Gravity Blasts??? Shinya??? That's like asking a toddler to draw a building plan for airplanes...and drive the airplanes afterwards.

Gravity Blast is a variation of Blast Beat, it's not the same.

Since forever. Oh the word games :) What I meant was you don't mean the same if you either say gravity blast or blast beat. Gravity blast is a specific variation along many more blast beat variations.

EDIT wow. Took  me hell long to understand what you even meant haha

Well, I'm not so good at it in english, so I have to copy references for that :D

"the blast-beat generally comprises a repeated, sixteenth-note figure played at a very fast tempo, and divided uniformly among the bass drum, snare, and ride, crash, or hi-hat cymbal" (usually at 180 bpm or higher and using the rebound technique on the hands)

For the gravity blast, yeah we really could break it down to the gravity roll (single handed stroke that invokes bouncing the stick at the drum edge)  since I doubt Shinya could even do that...

oh my god I can't believe how much I'm hating on him right now...

Here's some demonstration for Gravity Roll

Here's a short vid that explains the common blast beat and the rebound technique behind it

There's a lot more on yt, so if you're interested just go there.

No problem. I've heard alot people mistaking the snare hammerings in Different Sense and Decayed Crow as blast beats, also. And it astounds me everytime I see the live footage, to see that it took him like 3 years to manage keeping up with his feet on these sections. Not to mention he totally skips the double bass sections in red soil... I mean in studio he can apparently do a lot of things, but the only way I can explain his fucking up live is that he doesn't appear to ever practice. Hence... good thing he stays away from blast beats.

He's much more talented in doing shy shoujo girl impressions than drumming. And honestly I wouldn't miss him if he'd quit the band. I also don't think the band would be quitting if he left.

EDIT ok I take that back he's not a bad drummer, he's just not flexible at all. And now that you mention it, Shitataru Mouro is also such a song. I cringe everytime it starts because I just know in beforehand he doesn't get that intro clean. And it's really a song that invitates to do drum fills. If you'd put Hellhammer before the kit during this song...it would reveal its full potential. But apparently Shinya never variates beyond the studio track..that he barely manages to do in the first place.

now, I should make a notion that I actually admire him as a drummer. he is very... unpredictable, so to speak.

his parts are are very complex and interesting to me. he's a not a fan of straight 'dum tss dum tss dum tss' lines.

except for double bass drum parts I love his drumming skills.