Sign in to follow this  
dannemannen

VK-Bands that you think have LOST their "spark" during the last years/recently?

I just tried out Merry's new album and only liked one of the new songs. 
I also tried out SID's new album, not even ONE song felt memorable to me...

And my once favorite band "Nogod" also released an album recently, tried it and hell, there was only one song that I almost had to force myself to like because I just wanted to like something.

Feels like everything in VK is just getting weaker and weaker for each year that passes, and NO i don't want to start a flamewar about this.. but what are some bands that you think completely have lost their "spark" during the last years?

(I can throw in that I tried Kamijo's new single as well, and it was so generic ... he has done so much better things in the past... Have all of these awesome VK-artists started giving up?)

40 minutes ago, dannemannen said:

And my once favorite band "Nogod" also released an album recently, tried it and hell, there was only one song that I almost had to force myself to like because I just wanted to like something.

Feels like everything in VK is just getting weaker and weaker for each year that passes, and NO i don't want to start a flamewar about this.. but what are some bands that you think completely have lost their "spark" during the last years?

(I can throw in that I tried Kamijo's new single as well, and it was so generic as well.. he has done so much better things in the past...)

First of all: second "vk sucks nowadays"-topic of the year? You already have one from earlier this year.

Anyway, try out other bands as well, there's tons of great bands in the scene. It's pretty common that bands who keep going for 10-20 years don't put out the same quality as they did when they were younger, even outside of VK.

ALL OF THEM T B H

I can't remember the last time a recent vk release got me truly excited (like idk does one song off hakuei's solo album even count?), the closest to that is the former ayabie drummer and an indie sensation soan's solo project, but he's low-budget and p much irrelevant.

there's also a temporary gap with the bandmen I'm interested in being on a break/just out of their old bands, it blows.

that being said, merry was predicable merry but it was good.

1 hour ago, dannemannen said:

(I can throw in that I tried Kamijo's new single as well, and it was so generic as well.. he has done so much better things in the past...)

Yes, I agree with your comments about NoGoD and MERRY's latest for sure – Two bands that I look forward to their newest releases on a continual basis. Though, MERRY's album is becoming a grower for me, and proof has some memorable tracks. SID lost me long ago.

I think for me, the old bands I like are my favorites because they always manage to keep me interested, but I wasn't a fan of lynch.'s last album, and definitely NoGoD's latest work like you said. I think these are just blipps on the radar for them though; with such long careers, there's bound to be records that are better than others.

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

ALL OF THEM T B H

I can't remember the last time a recent vk release got me truly excited (like idk does one song off hakuei's solo album even count?), the closest to that is the former ayabie drummer and an indie sensation soan's solo project, but he's low-budget and p much irrelevant.

there's also a temporary gap with the bandmen I'm interested in being on a break/just out of their old bands, it blows.

that being said, merry was predicable merry but it was good.

I agree with you... I am starting to feel like that there are no REALLY (and now I mean REALLY) good bands left in the VK-scene... Mucc (who used to be the king)'s most recent original album was also like 90% filler.. Do we have to wait for a DeG comeback to get some faith back?

Edited by dannemannen

is this the reverse version of #ressurectvk

in all seriousness tho, as much as I LOOOVE them (and I really do), MERRY's latest album was a miss for me...or maybe I just need to give it another spin, idk. It just doesn't have as much of an impact as their previous albums did, including Nonsense Market, which I was actually hyped for, compared to this one. But I know they can still go and this is just a brief bump on the road. After all, they've been around for 16 years, so I guess they were trying something new with this album.

as for other acts, I remember (or noticed rather, since I didn't follow them when they were actually around) Megaromania losing their spark around the time their first drummer left. A while after that, they broke up and 3/5 of the band went to Lin, which was basically rehashing old songs, which were hit & miss, and they barely lasted 2 years. I just really hope Sui's new project brings him back to his former glory, but nothing can beat classic Megaromania or even Metis Gretel for that matter.

offtopic here, but the only vk band that really isn't slacking for me atm is Marco. they were plain janes at first, but after Torikago Aijin, they started getting much better~ but then again they're tiny af and hardly anyone (or at least outside Japan) really pays attention to them :/

what can I say I discarded mucc in 2006 lol.

I kinda expect Deg to somewhat liven things up (their albums usually inspire a half-year worth of rip-offs/heavier direction for smaller bands), and there's a new gazette album coming next year which I don't have much early hopes for, but even in the worst case it will have a good song or two.

I really hope it's just an unfortunate cycle in the scene again (2006 - 2009-ish were for the most part dire), but the fact I'm more hyped about anything Zicross or Yumeleep put out compared to whatever old faves of mine are still around makes me p. sad

Edited by nekkichi

On 2017/9/26 at 1:40 AM, nekkichi said:

what can I say I discarded mucc in 2006 lol.

I kinda expect Deg to somewhat liven things up (their albums usually inspire a half-year worth of rip-offs/heavier direction for smaller bands), and there's a new gazette album coming next year which I don't have much early hopes for, but even in the worst case it will have a good song or two.

I really hope it's just an unfortunate cycle in the scene again (2006 - 2009-ish were for the most part dire), but the fact I'm more hyped about anything Zicross or Yumeleep put out compared to whatever old faves of mine are still around makes me p. sad

The question is will DeG even come back? They are just getting older and older and the releases just seem get less and less =(

Edited by dannemannen

I have a feeling Deg will either call it quits in the next few years or just quit releasing music and neither break up or go on a hiatus,,, just like stop being active. 

They’ll all be too too busy with their side projects. 

1 hour ago, dannemannen said:

The question is will DeG even come back? They are just getting older and older and the releases just seem get less and less =(

they'll outlive sukekiyo and decays for sure, and I don't see any of their side projects being as commercially viable and having same fanbase - they weren't luna sea to start with, and the only thing that will force them to disband would be another decline of fan interest in their productions. shinya's cringefest might last.

technically, they release more than enough stuff (how many FrOm DepReSsIoN tO DePrEsSiOn DVDs have they published so far?...), it's just all aimed at a relatively small core audience right now.

I am actually surprised there's not more stuff to come out during their relatively slow-ass current phase - I kind of expected Kaoru to produce some yesterday's roadies and lure them into FWD slavery for the next decade, but I suppose he doesn't care.

On 26/09/2017 at 6:31 PM, dannemannen said:

Arche was great. A big improvement after Dum Spiro Spero

For me it was GRIEVA.

Since I love old school Visual KeiGrieva more or less sounded like that (Dir en grey-ish) at the beginning, but around mid 2015 the band slowly began to lose that sound, it slowly began to acquire more of a poppish style at the same time that most of their songs sounded uninspired to me, just a lot of songs released in such a short period of time every year.

I say グリーヴァ as well. Although for me, I thought they started going downhill with 終焉; the title track is their most incredible song, but everything else sounded kinda ... average. Pretty much everything they released post-終焉 just sounded like leftovers, and some even sounded like straight-up rehashes of alkaloid. There are a few songs here and there that I like from 2014 and on, but nothing they ever did after 鬼ト影 lived up to it, which is a strange thing to say about a compilation of blatant rip-offs.

As for bands that haven't disbanded: NoGoD. They started a change for worse with 欠片, which I liked and still do, but they kept going with that sound, and have been going sort of up and down. 欠片 was good, 現実 was average, V was decent, Make A New World was garbage, Renovate was great the first them then average the second, proof was poop. They should either renovate their sound for real, or just call it quits.

On 2.03.2018 at 1:12 AM, Seelentau said:

Does Blood Stain Child count?

Is Blood Stain Child even VK? :o

Edited by Yuri

Sign in to follow this