Ruri

Tropes in visual kei that you can't stand?

51 minutes ago, Deathtopi4 said:

Multiple versions of CDs with different songs on them irritate me so much. Like, make as many versions as you want with different bonus DVDs or whatever else, I don't really care, but there should always be one version of the album available to buy that has ALL the songs from the release on it. That's all I ask lol. Also, kinda the same thing but putting out Itunes versions of the releases that don't have all the songs on them. Like I'll probably buy something right off the bat from Itunes if it's got all the songs, but if it's missing a song or two I'll likely just pass it up and wait until I have the money for a physical copy with every song. And since currently I'm pretty much just buying digital releases to save some money, that's probably going to be long wait >.<

This is the real bullcrap. I understand that It's their way of surviving, making whale fans spend much more than they should on a couple of songs, but it's bullcrap anyways.

Edited by chemicalpictures

On 9/11/2016 at 5:21 AM, saltofstones said:

I'm not sure how to explain it but I feel like VK has a problem with  choruses. So often I hear songs that sound amazing only to be ruined by a boring chorus that doesn't seem to organically connect with the rest of the song, sounds uncharacteristically happy like an explosion of kittens and rainbows in musical form or is just bland and lacks the kind of punch you would expect from a chorus. Then when it's time to go back to the verses, the transition is all awkward. To me, the verses and bridge are usually more memorable than the choruses and I only seem to have this experience with VK. When I listen to a new song and it's shaping up to be a good one, I always have this concern that they'll go for this type of chorus and ruin everything and more often than not I am right. A good example of this would be SCAPEGOAT - 幼女A~Hide and Seek~ . Their Nemurenai something song is the same. It's frustrating to have everything in a song work except the chorus.

This.

Especially when it sounds like a mashup.

20 hours ago, fitear1590 said:

This fucking grating trebly synth that so many neo VK bands insist on using.

Even the VK electronic gods DIV succumbed to this filth in one of their later tracks.

Quit spitting the truth bro.

The string of band members who have the 'no talkie' schtick. It's less that I hate it, because sometimes I'm cool with it (like shamelessly, I think Meto does it well), but then I keep seeing it and sometimes it just either feels unnecessary or like they don't really have enough personality sans voice to pull it off. It's less that I can't stand them and more that I sometimes go 'why?'

1 hour ago, frayed said:

The string of band members who have the 'no talkie' schtick. It's less that I hate it, because sometimes I'm cool with it (like shamelessly, I think Meto does it well), but then I keep seeing it and sometimes it just either feels unnecessary or like they don't really have enough personality sans voice to pull it off. It's less that I can't stand them and more that I sometimes go 'why?'

I think it only works with Meto because he's the "weird character" in Mejibray. Got to have an overall aura of mysteriousness otherwise you just come across as Joe Dumbass who has nothing to say imo

RE: bands making "albums" that are really compilations: I don't mind this so much when the material on it was "rare" or live-limited and the tracks flow well. Personally, I find albums easier to get into than singles. Singles are what I listen to after I've listened to a band's album(s)  and have really gotten into them, otherwise they slip my radar. I am interested in the MORRIGAN album, though I think they should have just branded it as a "rarities collection," focused more on rare tracks and less on mini-album tracks, and nobody would be pissed off. Also, keep in mind that not everybody downloads everything, and not everybody hunts auction sites/second-hand shops.

On 2016年9月10日 at 10:23 AM, itsukoii said:

THAT GODDAMN CHURCH

I NEED TO FIND THIS CHURCH! It might as well be declared a tourist attraction.

On 2016年9月11日 at 3:21 AM, saltofstones said:

I'm not sure how to explain it but I feel like VK has a problem with  choruses. So often I hear songs that sound amazing only to be ruined by a boring chorus that doesn't seem to organically connect with the rest of the song, sounds uncharacteristically happy like an explosion of kittens and rainbows in musical form or is just bland and lacks the kind of punch you would expect from a chorus.

At least half of Pentagon's discography (maybe 75%). Almost every song of theirs I hear, as soon as the chorus hits I'm like "WTFWHYYYYYY??" Seems to get worse with every release.

5 hours ago, frayed said:

I think Meto just shuts up on camera because he doesn't like his voice to be recorded, but will talk at in-store events, etc. (?) I cannot verify this information, can't remember where I read it, it could be 100% wrong and totally bullshit lol.

1 hour ago, Seimeisen said:

I think Meto just shuts up on camera because he doesn't like his voice to be recorded, but will talk at in-store events, etc. (?) I cannot verify this information, can't remember where I read it, it could be 100% wrong and totally bullshit lol.

Nope, this one I can confirm first hand, the boy does not talk at in-stores! :) He does draw pictures and gesture to get his points across, and he does this well. I think it's what Ruri said, he's the "weird" character so he can pull this type of stuff off while maintaining a strong personality. (re: Last in-store I went to, he had Koichi in STITCHES because he kept pretending to ride a magikarp. Don't ask.)

3 hours ago, frayed said:

Nope, this one I can confirm first hand, the boy does not talk at in-stores! :) He does draw pictures and gesture to get his points across, and he does this well. I think it's what Ruri said, he's the "weird" character so he can pull this type of stuff off while maintaining a strong personality. (re: Last in-store I went to, he had Koichi in STITCHES because he kept pretending to ride a magikarp. Don't ask.)

I feel like life is a little better after hearing this story thank you

yeah im not a fan of the no talking trope. mana was the only one to pull it off well, he had a really strong ego and sense of personality and it spoke for him. meto is so fuckin wild i desperately want to hear whats going through his head LOL.

minpha however....just no

One thing that immediately pops into my mind are the repeated intros and outros parts of their songs. I find this to be very common in most VK bands. It makes the songs unnecessarily long and makes me question their song writing ability. Here's an example to clarify what I'm talking about. The first 32 seconds. Cut that part in half and we're good.

Due to annoyances like this, I'm forced to open up an audio editing software to trim the fat of the songs I like.

This may be more music in general than just VK but I feel it pertains a bit more to the VK topic.  When a band has awesome chord progressions etc. and I'm waiting for a sick breakdown into a guitar solo and then it simply doesn't come, or it's ass.  I can't count how many VK bands ruined a good song by a bad solo.  Not having one doesn't ruin it, but it's simply a letdown.

But that's just like... my opinion man.

Edit: The above isn't really a trope I suppose so...  Oshare kei was a mistake.

Edited by Atreides

On 12/9/2016 at 4:11 PM, Seimeisen said:

RE: bands making "albums" that are really compilations: I don't mind this so much when the material on it was "rare" or live-limited and the tracks flow well. Personally, I find albums easier to get into than singles. Singles are what I listen to after I've listened to a band's album(s)  and have really gotten into them, otherwise they slip my radar. I am interested in the MORRIGAN album, though I think they should have just branded it as a "rarities collection," focused more on rare tracks and less on mini-album tracks, and nobody would be pissed off. Also, keep in mind that not everybody downloads everything, and not everybody hunts auction sites/second-hand shops. 

I agree on the "rarities collection" stuff. Morrigan's new album is a joke. And I hate that when I complained about it other fans told me "but it's the trend now, all new VK bands are doing it". So if the other bands start eating shit they have to eat shit too?? 

On 10/9/2016 at 1:23 PM, itsukoii said:

THAT GODDAMN CHURCH

If your band never recorded in that church you aren't really a VK band XDDD

On 11/9/2016 at 6:21 AM, saltofstones said:

I'm not sure how to explain it but I feel like VK has a problem with  choruses. So often I hear songs that sound amazing only to be ruined by a boring chorus that doesn't seem to organically connect with the rest of the song, sounds uncharacteristically happy like an explosion of kittens and rainbows in musical form or is just bland and lacks the kind of punch you would expect from a chorus.

I actually noticed this one with D's post hiatus singles... Like some of their songs like Funny Bunny and Lepidoptera started off heavy and the chorus was... wtf? I forgave them because I end up forgiving D for everything, but after that I noticed more and more bands doing it.

On 12/9/2016 at 10:16 AM, frayed said:

Again. If the other bands eat shit you have to eat shit too?? That "everybody else does it so I'll do it" is such a pre-school argument.

Since we are on weird mute members, I also hate how every new band seems to have a weirdo covered up on tattoos, piercings or just being overall creepy, and a pink haired dude who pretends to be girly and cute. Enough is enough!

Edited by Komorebi

i just wish more VK bands would do ''weird'' looks like Filth-era Diru or Psycho Le Cemu or something instead of just generic ''hehe we vaguely look like girls now!!!'' stuff tbh

Hmm...

Grieva and their compulsive habit of releasing  so many songs every year. I don't like that because they end up releasing poor material. Some songs have nice intros and they develop interestingly until they get to the chorus and it all tumbles down with crappy choruses. Sometimes I get that feeling of how unispired they were when they wrote a given song, especially with those cheesy poppy songs of theirs.

I think they are very talented and with great potential, but songs need time to be polished and make the fullest of them.

Edited by seikun

On 17/09/2016 at 9:38 PM, Komorebi said:

I agree on the "rarities collection" stuff. Morrigan's new album is a joke. And I hate that when I complained about it other fans told me "but it's the trend now, all new VK bands are doing it". So if the other bands start eating shit they have to eat shit too?? 

Thing is, that ain't no new trend. It always happened, and will always happen. Even the big dogs did it sometime in their career, Dir en Grey did, miyavi did, Gackt did, tons nobodies on Morrigan's level do all the time... I'm genuinely surprised about 'Tranquilizers' backlash, there like five other bands doing the same and people seem fine with that

23 hours ago, chemicalpictures said:

I'm genuinely surprised about 'Tranquilizers' backlash, there like five other bands doing the same and people seem fine with that

Personally, Morrigan is one of the few "new" bands I'm actually looking forward to their new releases, I don't really care about how many others do it XD

Ah, I remember Gackt's "all number" titled album... It confused me a while ago. But why not just call it a best-album? XD