SUBLIMINAL

What video games are you currently playing?

played finnish simulator 2016. drove broken van to town and bought 500 markkaa of beer and sausage. drank 2 beers on side of road then drove home. put 12 sausage pack in fridge, ate 1 sausage, drank 5 beers, peed in sink and went to bed. woke up to phone from friend wanting ride home from pub, drank beer and ate chip. went 120 kmh on country road and flipped van. died. RIP Mikko Heikkinen.

I have a few games going, that I cram whenever I take a break from university stuff.

Inside - I'm halfway through I think. It's from the creators of Limbo. Amazing atmosphere, really simple gameplay but as usual it's fantastic.

Lonely Yuri -  Yuri visual novel. It's damn awful so far.

Battle Chef Brigade demo - I CANT WAIT FOR THE FULL RELEASE! This is like a 2d cooking/adventure hybrid and it's just so much fun. I love any games that involve cooking, so this is just perfect. It's challenging and genuinely stressful and the food art looks delicious. I fucking love it.

Montaro - cute and simple little pixel runner game where you play as a doge. You gotta avoid obstacles and collect coins and pantsu so you can buy more costumes for your doggo. I paid 0.50 for this games and it's the most effective stress relief i've used, I recommend to everybody.

Fatal Frame 5 left such a bad taste I went back and replayed Fatal Frame 2 (my favorite of the series). I continued wherever I left off the last time I played, which was quite long ago, and apparently I beat through the hard mode and started a new game on nightmare mode. Nightmare mode isn't actually so bad if you maxed out your camera and stocked up on items in your previous gameplays. The only troubling thing I had was that the ghosts give you a hefty amount of damage causing you to use herbal or sacred water every time you take damage. I also cleared all the missions except for the very last one. Just need to clear that one and I'll finally unlock one of the costumes~

I also finished Rule of Rose recently and loved it more than I thought I would. It began with a very strange story line, making very little sense  to me (i didn't read much about the game), but when I got to the end everything became clear and I might even say that it's one of my favorite games now. The beautiful soundtrack truly adds to the experience. I don't think there are enough horror games that use classical tunes for their bgms, as most horror games often use creepy ambient noises. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but I just love it when I can explore areas in the game while enjoying sad violins/cellos and melancholic piano melodies in the background. The only other game I know that does this is Clock Tower 3 during the chapter with the young girl pianist. The Evil Within also uses Clair de Lune for the save room, but that's slightly different. Anyway, great game is great. Right now I'm trying to unlock secret items and costumes~

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Rule of Rose always seemed interesting to me, I've heard mixed opinions on it though. Majority's consensus appears to be that the storyline and setting are interesting as hell, but the gameplay itself is buggy or clunky.. Is it really that bad or is it just standard survival horror tank controls?

2 hours ago, Tokage said:

Rule of Rose always seemed interesting to me, I've heard mixed opinions on it though. Majority's consensus appears to be that the storyline and setting are interesting as hell, but the gameplay itself is buggy or clunky.. Is it really that bad or is it just standard survival horror tank controls?

Ahh yeah, the attack controls are quite bad, I forgot. Your attack range is so small it can be frustrating sometimes. Oh yeah, and a couple times during a boss battle the enemy would give me damage even though it was attacking the opposite direction of me. I might have struggled a lot more if I wasn't using an emulator.....Something kind of minor, but whenever you go up the stairs the camera jags a bit. Other than that, there's always that thing with changing camera screens and accidentally going in the wrong direction (that's why i prefer controls with the run button). If you can forget all that though, the storyline and setting is worth it~

Would love to play Rule of Rose, even got it from the bargain bin back in the days, but I shit my pants with games like that... Only kind of horror game I can play are those who give me plenty of ways to kick baddies ass, lol

Currently playing MIrror's Edge Catalyst and finding it pretty underwhelming. The open world is bland as bland can be, does not add anything to the game... The mission based first game worked so much better...

Picked up a few games after selling one of my Pokemon games. I have like six others and I don't touch them anymore but I've regretted selling in games when I was younger and wanting them back now. ;-; So I'm undecided if I'll ever do it again. Anyway, I picked up Project X Zone and Code Name:  S.T.E.A.M. for the 3DS, and Steins;Gate and Yakuza 4 for the PS3. At least I haven't regretted what I got! I had wanted all four games for a while now and got them all at better prices in town than online. Haven't really touched the 3DS ones even though I was most excited for them but instead got on the PS3 as a way to chill out while I'm feeling off. Have gotten into Steins;Gate but am feeling conflicted with it for now. It's already weird enough it's my first time playing a VN on a console other than the Zero Escape and Ace Attorney games on the DS, but I've always had some kind of uncertainty in getting to this name, be it the game or anime. Always prefer to do the game than watch the anime if the game came first, so I am happy I got it. Maybe I'm just anxious in falling head over heels for it and be late to the party, or be super disappointed in it.

But Yakuza 4. Aww man, I had no idea what to expect when getting to it. It gives me like a Grand Theft Auto feel, from what I remember playing on it as a kid (^^;). I LOVE the characters and interractions from the couple of hours I've played of it. And those super lengthy cutscenes. It's like watching a show, with how good the animation looks. Also so happy to see that it's only Japanese audio with subtitles. Should always be that way. Absolutely smashing at the moment. Also love how realistic the whole set up is, with the conversations you overhear, and the design of characters and places. So excited to get back on it once I get over my cold and work. One thing I wish I could see is getting into cars and on motorbikes... now that I've made that GTA comparison. Lol.

EDIT:

Rule of Rose sounds like a great game. I've seen it before and even like the look of it. Too bad it's near impossible to get over here.

It's a shame to hear that about Mirror's Edge. Sounds like for people who are getting it quick/early, they'll be disappointed with it...

PS2 emulation... actually works these days? wtf? When did that happen? :o

13 minutes ago, Tokage said:

PS2 emulation... actually works these days? wtf? When did that happen? :o

LOL. PS2 emulation has been in a satisfactory working state for like 5-6 years now.... XD

PCSX2 master race <3

Jesus christ, I'm so far behind. Last I heard regarding PS2 emulation was that you needed a pretty high-end PC to properly run games... Does GC/Wii emulation work yet?

it's recommended that you have a high-end pc, but i have a laptop and still use it. however, it's not recommended if you use a laptop because the fan runs wild (i just don't care as much because i'm cheap and rather play games for free, but i also try not to play for too long, for example around 2 hours). been doing it for years and my laptop hasn't broken down that badly. only thing is that the fan may go off more often with whatever you're doing (which is well, technically still not a good sign...). as for running games, a few select games work quite well for me. some games though that are perhaps more graphic heavy may not run well at all, for example SH2, MGS2, and Odin Sphere. you can still try out ps2 emulation with whatever pc/laptop you have though because why not?

don't know about wii emulation, but as far as i know gc emulation works! my brothers were the ones who configured it onto their desktop pc so i'm not knowledgeable about it.

With me being a huge horror fan, currently playing Soma and others talking about horror games here, what are some good horror games? I'm not all that interested in action-horrors, but survival- and psychological horror games ala Silent Hill 1 & 2, Soma, Amnesia - The Dark Descent and so on. In other words, games that are 95% based on dark, eerie atsmophere, haunting surroundings and with great sound that'll creep you out.

I have the Penumbra laying around and will start playing those after Soma. Looking forward to it.

The original SNES Clock Tower's pretty okay if you can handle slowness, the rom I had of it was buggy though so I never finished it

^I still need to play that one, it's the only Clock Tower game that I haven't played yet.

Haunting Ground/Demento and Kuon are some other great ones. Wouldn't say the storyline for Kuon is amazing, but if you like horror games set in a historical period this is a good one.

I haven't played many PC games or those on other platforms though, since I have a bigger focus on PS1 and PS2 games.

Titanfall 2

I'm liking it so far. Some changes I like but others I prefer in the first game gameplay wise. First off, big thanks to SledgeHammer70 on twitter for giving massive amounts of deluxe edition game codes away for FREE on random twitch streams. I refunded my purchase from greenmangaming. Keep a lookout on Titanfall's twitter account for more giveaway news. Right now I've only tried out the multiplayer but I'll get to the single player soon enough. :)

On 27.10.2016 at 8:52 PM, plastic_rainbow said:

Haunting Ground/Demento and Kuon are some other great ones. Wouldn't say the storyline for Kuon is amazing, but if you like horror games set in a historical period this is a good one.

I don't play (these) games for the storyline, so that's fine with me. As far as horror games goes I'm in it all for the fun gameplay and atmosphere, which is the only thing that matters. A good storyline, characters, visual style and voice acting is also appreciated of course, but not the main reason why I play (these) games at all. Or watch films for that matter.

I forgot to add Siren: Blood Curse which I thought was good. Heavy on the atmosphere.

18 hours ago, peffy said:

CvzmmI_XEAAu3rA.jpg

lol

i need to play this game more

Tell me about it.

I am barely on Ch. 3 lol

WoFF on the vita is pretty solid, and the option to speed up/auto-pilot the battles I think was a great touch (have they been doing this for a while? cuz idk).

Easily makes the grind less grueling.

I am not digging the English Voice cast so much, so I'll probably switch over to the Japanese for a bit.

Very nice reviews so far, and it seems the Turn-Based nazis are quite happy with the game as well.

Gonna pick up Titanfall 2, since kotaku states the gameplay speed mimicks that of Vanquish for PS3 (This game needs more love).

2 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

Tell me about it.

I am barely on Ch. 3 lol

WoFF on the vita is pretty solid, and the option to speed up/auto-pilot the battles I think was a great touch (have they been doing this for a while? cuz idk).

Easily makes the grind less grueling.

I am not digging the English Voice cast so much, so I'll probably switch over to the Japanese for a bit.

I think I'm on chapter 8. I didn't even try the English voices, obviously, because I am me and I hate almost all English dubs.

I'm also playing on Vita, it is a bit hitchy. Mostly due to frame rate drops at certain points. Also the load times (before/after each battle, and even navigating menus) aren't great. Haven't tried PS4 version, maybe that one runs better. Anyway, it is ok.

One other minor gripe - why didn't they implement any kind of touch screen interaction for the Vita version? I keep tapping the mini map to bring up the full-screen map and it doesn't work and it makes me crazy. Being forced to press that tiny select button so often is maddening.

Google tells me that the PC-port of FF9 and maybe FF Tactics on iOS have fast-forward options, and the upcoming FFXII remaster will also have it. (thank god)

Currently playing Trillion God of Destruction on Steam, recommend to get it now cause its 40% off. Kinda nice game made by Idea Factory and Compile Heart, known for such games like Hyper Dimension Neptunia Series, Fairy Fencer and Amnesia. The game is a mix of raising sim a rougelike and a SRPG, you basically have to train 6 cute overlords and send them to fight the God of Destruction Trillion, who has 1 trillion HP, and as its a rougelike if an overlord dies in the fight she is dead, lost, you will not get her back in this playthrough. Game system is simple and fun, beating the boss, is fun but not easy, and loosing one of the overlords hurts a little after the time and care you put into training them.

Im also playing Shadowverse on steam, a japanese CCG which is free to play with cash shop, but in this case it is really free to play, in comparison to other free to play ccg games like Alteil, you can get a lot of cards free. Basically if you do daily missions you can buy from 1 to 2 booster packs with 8 cards each, and you also get the starter decks for all 7 heroes, and after you finish the tutorial you get like 30-40 tickets for boosters, 1 ticket = 1 booster, its seriously is insane, further more you can exchange copies of cards for vials which can be used to create any card you want, for instance a gold rarity card would cost 800 vials, its a lot, but after 2 weeks, of playing each 5 boosters i buy i get around 1k vials from not needed copies. If you start playing this game and wanna do some friendly training matches with me here is my friend code 397225356.

Mostly playing Dark Souls III again and the DLC this time, having a blast!

Also started Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS a few days ago, and man what a blast from the past! they just don't make JRPGs like they used to, also this game is long as shit if I remember correctly so zero chances of me finishing it before Pokemon comes out next week >.<

World of Warcraft: Legion has been pretty damn good since launch. There is so much to do and I'm so happy that this game has learned it's lesson from the previous expansion. If you miss the days from Lich King and haven't played since cataclysm, pandaria, or warlords then you should try again just make sure you have a little bit of time to sink into it.

I've also recently gotten into the BlazBlue fighting game/visual novel series. At first glance I thought it was just going to be anime tropes for days but I was wrong. After playing it now I'm just sitting here hoping Central Fiction gets a PC release. The mobile game Revolution Reburning is pretty fun as well to pass time when you are out and about.

Also Overwatch... I typically am not a fan of shooters but gotdamn do I love this game. 10/10 triggered by angry Japanese screaming and tire screeching.

Edited by tetsu_sama69

my current obsession is Dungeon Siege 2 ...

I found it on my external harddrive after 14 years and I still love it! The graphics are amazingly good for an old game :3

I'm also playing the Borderlands series (including Tales of the Borderlands) a lot.

Currently juggling between Divinity OS, Mafia III and Overwatch!

If you are a fan of GTA mechanics, don't miss on Mafia III. Really nice story, interesting characters, nice storytelling and refined gameplay for a couple of 40hs, I'd say!

In Overwatch, can't wait for freaking Sombra! but she is too damn OP on PTR... she will take the nerf hammer real soon, you betcha