CAT5

Pitchfork's 50 Best Albums of 2015

Not that their list are anything to revere, but I always find it interesting to view their rankings. I can't say that I'm surprised at most of these picks, although Tame Impala is quite high when I thought that was their weakest release to date, heh. The Kendrick and D'angelo records are certainly deserving, though.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/

Plenty of my AOTY's are present and accounted for; Future, Thugga, Jamie XX, Carly, Kendrick, Sremm, Drake, Grimes

In addition to stuff I've already acquired but haven't gotten around listening like Dawn Richards, D'angelo, Oneothrix, Arca

I haven't listened to Tame Impala but if that's the case then it wouldn't be the only such culprit on there because nobody should really care about anything that Panda Bear or Deerhunter are doing these days. 

I cannot recall an year where so many published lists will end up looking so alike, especially the number 1. It's about high time I'd make my own list too with not much left in the year, spare for any surprise mixtapes.

http://www.factmag.com/2015/12/09/the-50-best-albums-of-2015/http://www.factmag.com/2015/12/03/25-best-reissues/  moar lists for the curious observer 

I still need to work on my list, but some of my personal favorites off the top of my head are acknowledged pretty highly on the list (Sufjan, Tame Impala, Grimes), which was nice to see given how unfamiliar I was with most names in the entire top 50. There's still a bunch of stuff I need to check out to make a better impression of this list though - even Carly Rae Jepsen's, which everyone seems to be raving about everywhere for months now.

I think my personal favorite album of 2015 is Tame Impala's Currents. I don't know if I like it better than Lonerism yet, but I still have most songs from it stuck in my head months later and my favorite songs still keep on changing, even if I don't get bored of the others. Sufjan Stevens' album is easily my second favorite, though. It pretty much just destroyed me and I still can't listen to it much without getting weirdly emotional. As much as I liked his electronic and trippy ventures, coming back to a simpler, guitar-driven sound was a much welcome surprise.

Not sure what's Pitchfork's opinion on Florence + the Machine, but I'm honestly surprised How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful didn't make top 50. I thought it was incredible.

Once again, Pitchfork floods me with a barrage of "who the fuck is this?" artists, lol. I guess I'm just not hip enough. :P The albums by Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples and Kendrick Lamar were nice tho, I have to mention (all worthy of top-50 material for sure).

A whole list of 'WHAT ARE THOSE?' and 'WHO IS SHE?' vines, huh? I only know Janet Jackson, Carly Rae Jepsen and Drake. *cries* I've seen that Kendrick Lamar around though. Seems cool.

I'm not impressed by that list. The lack of Dødheimsgard is seriously disturbing. And a list that has room enough for Deafheaven but not Dødheimsgard is a list not worth paying attention to.

Next please.

Panda Bear  isn't even that good tho (and neither is the rest of that whole Animal Collective gang actually lmao, i think in total i've enjoyed like... half a release of theirs, if that?)

Also, fuck, this list made me realize i have actually barely listened to ANYTHING that actually came out this year, whoops. List appears to be the ''usual'' Pitchfork stuff tho, no real surprises here whatsoever...

That new mewithoutyou album shoulda been on that list tho, that shit was g o o d as usual

I'm pretty ignorant to most of the artists on this list, but I am gonna get on that top 10. I'm kinda mad at myself for not listening to Grimes' new album yet.

Not sure what's Pitchfork's opinion on Florence + the Machine, but I'm honestly surprised How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful didn't make top 50. I thought it was incredible.

Also this ^^^^

I'm not impressed by that list. The lack of Dødheimsgard is seriously disturbing. And a list that has room enough for Deafheaven but not Dødheimsgard is a list not worth paying attention to.

Next please.

p4k always snubs metal artists, not more than 3/4 make the list each year, and even then they're placed much farther back than their scores should indicate.

i miss my pitchfork days lol maybe i'll check out the list, soooo many new names it makes me feel old after being an indie kid in 2010-2012

Agreed on a lot with them! Loved the Dawn Richards, Jazmine Sullivan, Shamir - who had the debut album of the year (though the surprise LE1F album just now may change that), Janet, Carly, Sleater-Kinney, Julia Holter (what a fucking album), Joanna Newsom, Bjork, Sufjan and Grimes.

Missing the Susanne Sundfor and Kacey Musgrave albums though. Best art-pop and country pop releases in years. 

Also didn't enjoy the Tame Impala album, struggling to see what anyone finds in it.

Agreed on a lot with them! Loved the Dawn Richards, Jazmine Sullivan, Shamir - who had the debut album of the year (though the surprise LE1F album just now may change that), Janet, Carly, Sleater-Kinney, Julia Holter (what a fucking album), Joanna Newsom, Bjork, Sufjan and Grimes.

Missing the Susanne Sundfor and Kacey Musgrave albums though. Best art-pop and country pop releases in years. 

Also didn't enjoy the Tame Impala album, struggling to see what anyone finds in it.

Ohh, didn't notice the lack of Susanne's album too. It was gorgeous. Accelerate and Fade Away are already iconic.

Honestly, I think my musical interest are just to narrow to really get anything out of pitchfork lists. The Deafheaven album is the only one I have listened to on the list, and I honestly doubt that there is anything that that I would really have wanted to look in to. Narrow minded? Maybe. But honest.