Original Saku

Currently Airing & Watching Anime Discussion Topic

Dropped the following shows:

Comet Lucifer - Too much moe pandering. So much time wasted on filler. The produce dancing scene had the most cringe worthy thing I've seen this year.

Concrete Revolutio - You're gonna have to make me high on some serious drugs to make me watch this acid trip.

Heavy Object - Dumbass indecisive pussy main lead. Too many facepalm moments on the common sense department.

I haven't done this in quite a while! Let's get to it.

Comet Lucifer - An interesting plot and world setting was devised in the first episode. Then, I felt like the writers got stuck in Detail Drive and we haven't moved since. There's a lot of build-up but by the fifth episode (I only watched four) I should have a general idea of what the plot is about and where the story is going. And frankly, I don't have it.  Two more eps and then I'm dropping it.

Concrete Revolution - Talk about compensating for an uninteresting plot by convoluting it to the point where no one cares anymore. So there's this organization that protects supernatural people from other people for unknown reasons, except one of them decides to leave and it's an issue and we're chasing him and we don't know why. It's been four episodes and they move back and forth between three different points in time to avoid explaining why anything is happening. There's selling a mystery and then being completely unable to write a story. I know of two other people IRL watching this show and neither can tell me the slightest bit about the overall story after four episodes. Total garbage!

Heavy Object - this show failed to grab my attention entirely. The story wasn't doing it for me and the action is stiff and very limited. If it's going to be an anime about war and machines, it needs to be much more engaging for me.

Shinmai Maou no Testament S2 - why did I even start watching this BS in the first place? A more erotic version of DxD but instead of the protagonist being cool, he's some overpowered wussbag that won't land some tail when it's being thrown right at him. And dear god does every episode have a ten-minute montage of nonsensical ecchi bullshit that doesn't push the plot forward....which is actually pretty fucking dope when the main characters aren't the focus. Such a confused show that would have a lot of potential if it didn't use so much fanservice. Undecided as to if I'm following this or not.

K: Return of Kings - yaaaas. Best thing out right now IMHO.

Ace of Diamond S2 - best baseball anime I've ever seen. It has some pacing issues and they just love to drag out games and prepare hype. But it is really well done, teaches you a lot about baseball, and does a good job at developing all of its characters. I'm surprised I've become this attached to Seido, Inashiro, and Yakushi  to the point where I don't want any of them to lose. Plus the way drama unfolds both on and off the mound is very well done! There's always something to look forward to each week. Recommended for anyone who likes sports anime and doesn't mind baseball.

One Punch Man - a show about a superhero for fun who kills everything in one hit. A complete power trip and joke but one done so well I enjoy it! One of my surprise favorites of the season!

Owari no Seraph: Nagoya Kessen-hen - there was a ton of build-up at the beginning of this show and it just seems to have taken that potential and gone nowhere with it. S1 had a very anti-climactic ending and S2 isn't making big strides to make up for lost time. Shit needs to start happening or my attention is going to wander...

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Japanese Star Wars, featuring harems, a luddite of an MC, and high school. Claudia Enfield is the biggest reason why I watch this show. Her bipolar personality is the most interesting, complex facet of this show. I also like how they hint that the corruption goes much deeper than it initially seems. The action is pretty intense too! Everyone else is a walking trope that I don't care for too much. Good to watch if you don't mind turning your brain off.

Overall verdict: Better than last season

Heavy Object is a total mess but that's also the reason why it's kind of fun to watch it. The kids are a mess and they don't understand what's happening themselves, it just does. I doubt they're going to be able to make this fun for a whole 2 cours but for the first 5 episodes I've at least somewhat enjoyed it.

I started watching both Rakudai and Gakusen Toshi Asterisk but I ended up dropping the previous after just an episode and a half. Asterisk does way better on the typical harem ride and keeps it at least a little fun to watch. The fights have been nice so far, and I'm not too annoyed with the lead kid either. The story seems to at least have a little depth and we're already sure it's a split cour anyway. Also, for once I'm glad the boobgrabbing and all is kept to a minimum. (or maybe I've just seen too many things where there was way too much of that)

HQ S2 is still as great as it's always been. Story's going to pick up a little in the next few episodes and we're going to see some character development. Very good adaptation of the original manga imo.

I'm not completely sure why I'm even watching Owari no Seraph after that terrible first season but here I am anyway. So far it's beaten the whole series of previous episodes already, and I haven't necessarily wanted to throw my laptop out the window either. The whole Yuu/Mika thing still isn't my thing though (and oh help, how easy is it to see things coming?) I guess I can at least give one good point about Seraph: the OST. Sawano did it again ._.

Ace of Diamond S2 - best baseball anime I've ever seen. It has some pacing issues and they just love to drag out games and prepare hype. But it is really well done, teaches you a lot about baseball, and does a good job at developing all of its characters. I'm surprised I've become this attached to Seido, Inashiro, and Yakushi  to the point where I don't want any of them to lose. Plus the way drama unfolds both on and off the mound is very well done! There's always something to look forward to each week. Recommended for anyone who likes sports anime and doesn't mind baseball.

Daiya is such a great series. It has its slower moments and some trouble pacing here and there, but it's all done very well. I'm glad I started it back when it had only been airing for a few months.

Man now that it's half way through the fall season I'm really starting to notice that this season has a lot of really good series airing... stuff like;

Diamond no Ace
Garo: Guren no Tsuki
Gintama°

Haikyuu!! 2

K: Return of Kings

Mobile suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Norigami Aragoto

One Punch Man

Osomatsu-san

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Exodus

Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider

Ushio to Tora

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen

Young Black Jack

Like holy shit that is one giant helping of really solid shows, and even though not all of them are "new" series and some of them bled over from last season it's still a very impressive "currently Airing" lineup. and that's not even including some of my guilty pleasures that are airing this season like Yuri Yuri, Rakudai, or Dragon Ball Super xD

Slowly starting to wonder if there'll be anyone left at the end of the current Soukyuu no Fafner season. (And if they're not going to go for a third cours)

Aka every single character song.

Except KENN's.

Anyway, my list now has Owari no Seraph S2 on it as well and I'm bored as fuck 6 episodes in. What's the hype with this? Where's the charm? 

Except KENN's.

Anyway, my list now has Owari no Seraph S2 on it as well and I'm bored as fuck 6 episodes in. What's the hype with this? Where's the charm? 

At least Kenn can actually sing.

-----

I fell into the latest two OVAs of Tenipuri and I've wanted to hit a wall multiple times.

The first Digimon Adventures Tri movie came out and I'm still in the middle of re-watching the second season of adventures :( I need to speed it up because I'm seriously too hype for tri!

Also Faner Exodus is so good right now, like omfg, this season is so amazing, like seriously it's like they took everything that was good about the original dead agressor season and then made it even better while also improving on a lot of the weaknesses as well...

I lost my shit when Koyo appeared out of nowhere and then in the most recent episode Misao turns up at the end of the episode and I'm just like "MOTHERFUCKING MISAO KURUSU!!" fuck so good. Also I legit teared up during the Canon episode... so sad T.T

Also Faner Exodus is so good right now, like omfg, this season is so amazing, like seriously it's like they took everything that was good about the original dead agressor season and then made it even better while also improving on a lot of the weaknesses as well...

I lost my shit when Koyo appeared out of nowhere and then in the most recent episode Misao turns up at the end of the episode and I'm just like "MOTHERFUCKING MISAO KURUSU!!" fuck so good. Also I legit teared up during the Canon episode... so sad T.T

Fafner is not good for your health (or for having fave characters) but it's such a great season tbh ._. I keep being tempted to rewatch the original dead agressor but then I just look at Exodus and I don't know whether I want to go through the pain again.

I think I yelled "FUCK THAT'S KOUYOU!!!!" out loud at some point too. And then he appeared in the ending sequence and .______. Also wth at Kazuki. I'm really wondering who's going to end up alive at the end of it. I wouldn't be surprised none of the main crew lives for some reason. Though maybe Akira will be spared.

Fafner is not good for your health (or for having fave characters) but it's such a great season tbh ._. I keep being tempted to rewatch the original dead agressor but then I just look at Exodus and I don't know whether I want to go through the pain again.

I think I yelled "FUCK THAT'S KOUYOU!!!!" out loud at some point too. And then he appeared in the ending sequence and .______. Also wth at Kazuki. I'm really wondering who's going to end up alive at the end of it. I wouldn't be surprised none of the main crew lives for some reason. Though maybe Akira will be spared.

I have this sneaking suspicion as well that most if not all of the original pilots will probnably be killed off in some way before the end of the season, basically Kazuki, Soushi, Mayu, Kenji and Sakura. They'll probbaly get assimilated and end up like canon and the others that are with the islands mir. I think maybe Kenji or someone else like Mayu might survive, but I'm not really sure. Anyways that will setup another season more than likely where the focus is mainly on the newer generation. I think Exodus is basically just the setup for something bigger that's coming in a later season :) I hope.

I have this sneaking suspicion as well that most if not all of the original pilots will probnably be killed off in some way before the end of the season, basically Kazuki, Soushi, Mayu, Kenji and Sakura. They'll probbaly get assimilated and end up like canon and the others that are with the islands mir. I think maybe Kenji or someone else like Mayu might survive, but I'm not really sure. Anyways that will setup another season more than likely where the focus is mainly on the newer generation. I think Exodus is basically just the setup for something bigger that's coming in a later season :) I hope.

Exodus was supposed to be a 24 episode season (not two cours) as a finish to the whole Fafner story (and a 10 year anniversary of the original). While I do think/feel they might add another Exodus cours, I doubt they'd do it without Soushi/Kazuki. I mean, Soushi is narrating after all, and they can't end Exodus with him dying halfway through.

For another season, while I'd kind of want it because I really love Fafner, at the same time it would not feel right not to have Kazuki/Soushi there. At least Kazuki. Ah well, we'll see. I'm here for more anyway. I love the suspense ._____. also the random "ow fuck" "nooooo" moments I notice slipping out.

Sneaky spoiler talk.

Marathoned Aldnoah Zero finally. That cliffhanger at the end of series one though. I wonder how long will Netflix get series two?

The original version of the story never had that happen at the end of the first season (probably wasn't even supposed to be a split cour either).

---------

Finally finishing Eureka Seven AO after nearly 2 years. This was a little overdue though I remembered why I stopped halfway through the series. I'm really no good with timeslips. It always feels like nothing but an easy way out when writers got themselves stuck without knowing what to do next.