Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

Every new world other than the first one is DLC, microtransactions required to actually have Donald fucking heal your ass for once

btw what is UP with those fucking Tekken 1-tier CGI graphics on some of the characters in that new KoF game?

05_kof14newmenus03.jpg

Andy and Leona look like they're straight from the PS1 era lol

It's an alpha, it'll get better... hopefully

Much like Kingdom Hearts III, Square Enix's upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake will be powered by Unreal Engine 4.

"We realize how special Final Fantasy VII is to fans, and we place our trust in Unreal Engine 4 technology and tools to help deliver this long-awaited remake, crafted for modern platforms," Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase said in a statement.

Additionally, Geomerics has revealed that Final Fantasy VII Remake will make use of its lighting technology, Enlighten, "as the indirect lighting solution of choice."

I'm sure they have their reasons, but I don't really understand, why they're not using FFXV engine. but whatever, it looks nice and dandy as is, and an established engine like unreal might speed up development even further...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/final-fantasy-7-remake-being-created-with-unreal-engine-4

I'm sure they have their reasons, but I don't really understand, why they're not using FFXV engine. but whatever, it looks nice and dandy as is, and an established engine like unreal might speed up development even further...

The development process for Luminous Studio, much like Crystal Tools before it, appears to have been a complete mess. At this point Square just seems to have given up on creating its own engines and is instead taking the route of using already-established engines (namely UE4) for their future projects. At least this way there's actually a slight chance of the games coming out within a semi-decent time-frame.

Things about FF VII Remake that theople over here are not taking into consideration:

• It's only natural that this game is episodic/sold in chunks. Production costs are too high to create a game like FF VII with today's standards without making huge compromises. JRPGs have been getting smaller and smaller since we jumped to HD development because of this. Only now that tools and know-how are much better they are doable again, but they are still much more expensive to make.
  • The FF VII Universe has expanded quite a lot since the original was released wich means even more stuff to put, re-arrange, etc. Doing it this way lets them do it without having so much pressure.
  • It's more expensive for us customers that way but I think it has a much better chance of delivering a good experience. They have also promised that each chunk will have content worthy of boxed game release. That doesn't mean much but, but it's better than nothing I gess.
  • S-E is developing some parts/episodes and Cyber Connect 2 (Asura's Wrath, .hack, Naruto Ultimate Storm) are making others. This lets the be experimental with some sutff and advance faster developing multiple parts of the game at once. So the first part could be released next year with no issues.
  • Because FF VII Remake is being developed both internally and by a contracted company, it's just dumb to use an engine half of the workforce don't know how to use, like FF XV engine. Unreal 4 it's really easy to use and both S-E and CC2 already use it, so it fits perfectly.

I hardly care about FF (only FF IX doesn't give me an smug and pretentious vibe that I don't tolerate in games... even though I know it's just my perception) but this is a very interesting project. I'm very interested in seeing and playing what comes out of this.

As for Ni no Kuni 2, I wish I was more excited about it. I played the first game, and ~sort of~ liked it up until that last dungeon where there seemed to be a difficulty spike and I had to grind out levels. It really killed all the momentum of the story and made me hate the game. I also do not like the Miyazaki art style, and I hate playing as small children. The best part of the game was naming all of my Pokemon tamed monster things after VK band members. ..... I guess this series is just not for me.

You must know that Ni no Kuni was produced by studio Ghibli and essentially works as a playable Ghibli movie? So obviously if you do not like Ghibli movies, there's absolutely no reason for you to play or like Ni no Kuni, the first or the second one. If the only reason for you or anyone else is to play Ni no Kuni is to just capture and level up some new pokemon-esque monsters, then stick with pokemon, honestly, for the story in that case will give you absolutely nothing. 

As for the people who adore Ghibli's and Miyazaki's works, like I said, Ni no Kuni works as a playable continuum to their movies. It's worth it and even has a shit ton of replay value. Although you have little to no say to how the story plays out.

What I'm saying is, to anyone, if you're considering playing Ni no Kuni for the first time, ask yourself this: Do I like Ghibli movies? If the answer is yes, play it. If the answer is no, don't play it. If the answer is "I like some of them", try it anyways, good chance is you'll love it.

You must know that Ni no Kuni was produced by studio Ghibli and essentially works as a playable Ghibli movie? So obviously if you do not like Ghibli movies, there's absolutely no reason for you to play or like Ni no Kuni, the first or the second one. If the only reason for you or anyone else is to play Ni no Kuni is to just capture and level up some new pokemon-esque monsters, then stick with pokemon, honestly, for the story in that case will give you absolutely nothing. 

As for the people who adore Ghibli's and Miyazaki's works, like I said, Ni no Kuni works as a playable continuum to their movies. It's worth it and even has a shit ton of replay value. Although you have little to no say to how the story plays out.

What I'm saying is, to anyone, if you're considering playing Ni no Kuni for the first time, ask yourself this: Do I like Ghibli movies? If the answer is yes, play it. If the answer is no, don't play it. If the answer is "I like some of them", try it anyways, good chance is you'll love it.

Yeah, I knew it was involved with Studio Ghibli. However, at the time, the game was super hyped up, had good reviews, and I was desperate for a turn-based JRPG to play. I was willing to look past the art style. I paid like $100 to import it from Play-Asia with the physical hardcover book thing (this was before the English version was announced). I kind of had a good time with it in the beginning.

.. but no one could have told me I would get frustrated with the slow pace & the difficulty spike at the end. And over the course of the game, I realized I don't like playing as children. Liking Ghibli movies or not has nothing to do with the gameplay itself.

Now that I have a lot of other games to look forward to, I do not feel the need to get excited for Ni no Kuni 2. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, I knew it was involved with Studio Ghibli. However, at the time, the game was super hyped up, had good reviews, and I was desperate for a turn-based JRPG to play. I was willing to look past the art style. I paid like $100 to import it from Play-Asia with the physical hardcover book thing (this was before the English version was announced). I kind of had a good time with it in the beginning.

.. but no one could have told me I would get frustrated with the slow pace & the difficulty spike at the end. And over the course of the game, I realized I don't like playing as children. Liking Ghibli movies or not has nothing to do with the gameplay itself.

Now that I have a lot of other games to look forward to, I do not feel the need to get excited for Ni no Kuni 2. That's all I'm saying.

But a lot of the game is the story. I would say that a majority of the game is the story, and only a small part of it is actually moving around and fighting stuff. Sure, there is that, but it's not majorly complex and doesn't change throughout the course of the game. The gameplay itself is very straight-forward. So if you're not interested in the story and do not enjoy it, that's already half of the game ruined for you, as pretty much the whole interest in the game relies on the plot. That's what I meant when I said it basically works as a playable Ghibli movie.

Ni No Kuni's system, AI and pacing turned what could have been a good game into a slow, frustrating grindfest. It looks and sounds awesome, but charming aesthetics won't never save such a bad game design imo.

^ Yes that's basically what I was trying to say. (Except that I didn't like the aesthetics very much.)

I didn't say anything bad about the story. The story was fine. I just didn't like playing as child characters, and the gameplay became a turn-off over the course of the game. I only mentioned it here because I'd heard rumours of Level 5 making a new PS4 JRPG for the past year or so, and I was hopeful it would be something different. Was kind of disappointed to hear "Ni No Kuni 2". Well, whatever, it's fine, lots of people loved the first game, I hope the second one is better. =)

Hell yeaaaaah, Tales of Berseria latest trailer was just released.

English info: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/15/tales-of-berseria-details-on-its-battle-system-and-a-new-character-laiphaset/

I'm super excited for this, because the main character is a lady, and it seems like she has a dark past and some "beast" issues. Looks like she'll be fun to use in battle. Her outfit is totally ridiculous, which is a plus or minus depending on your sensibilities. (it's a plus for me, but these games usually give you costume options anyway).

Graphically, it kind of looks exactly like Xillia did (and maybe Zestiria, but I haven't played that yet). Whatever, it doesn't bother me that much. Mostly excited for what looks like a "darker" tone. Yuri made Vesperia great for me because he straight up *SPOILER*murdered a dude*SPOILER*. Awesomeeeeee.

ETA:

Eh, they put a child character in. But it seems like he is not a normal kid, so I probably won't be too annoyed.

Hell yeaaaaah, Tales of Berseria latest trailer was just released.

English info: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/15/tales-of-berseria-details-on-its-battle-system-and-a-new-character-laiphaset/

I'm super excited for this, because the main character is a lady, and it seems like she has a dark past and some "beast" issues. Looks like she'll be fun to use in battle. Her outfit is totally ridiculous, which is a plus or minus depending on your sensibilities. (it's a plus for me, but these games usually give you costume options anyway).

Graphically, it kind of looks exactly like Xillia did (and maybe Zestiria, but I haven't played that yet). Whatever, it doesn't bother me that much. Mostly excited for what looks like a "darker" tone. Yuri made Vesperia great for me because he straight up *SPOILER*murdered a dude*SPOILER*. Awesomeeeeee.

ETA:

Eh, they put a child character in. But it seems like he is not a normal kid, so I probably won't be too annoyed.

I'm really not a fan of characters made in the style of the new protagonist, edgy with a dark past and a curse/dark power, that's far too overused for me to enjoy it, but maybe if it's handled right and brings something new to the table it might turn out good.

As for gameplay, graphics and heck, everything, it looks to be similar to Xilia and Zestiria, which is alright, they should try to improve it if they're aiming for current gen releases though.

I'm really not a fan of characters made in the style of the new protagonist, edgy with a dark past and a curse/dark power, that's far too overused for me to enjoy it, but maybe if it's handled right and brings something new to the table it might turn out good.

As for gameplay, graphics and heck, everything, it looks to be similar to Xilia and Zestiria, which is alright, they should try to improve it if they're aiming for current gen releases though.

Yeah, the "dark past" thing is a trope.. but I prefer it way more than the other JRPG protagonist tropes, which are like.. "grew up in a tiny village and becomes the world saviour" or .. "average high school student becomes big hero".. also, these characters tend to have positive/friendly personalities. Velvet doesn't seem like that, so I hope she will be more interesting (but given that this is Tales, I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a walking stereotype). Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, either way! 

Yeah, the "dark past" thing is a trope.. but I prefer it way more than the other JRPG protagonist tropes, which are like.. "grew up in a tiny village and becomes the world saviour" or .. "average high school student becomes big hero".. also, these characters tend to have positive/friendly personalities. Velvet doesn't seem like that, so I hope she will be more interesting (but given that this is Tales, I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes a walking stereotype). Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, either way! 

True, it's rare to see a JRPG protagonist that isn't a boring overused trope, the only example i can think of right now is the Drakengard series, and Tales isn't particularly known for storytelling, it's more about flashy combat and character interactions if anything. So even if the whole cast are a bunch of walking stereotypes, watching them interact with each other might be fun.

True, it's rare to see a JRPG protagonist that isn't a boring overused trope, the only example i can think of right now is the Drakengard series, and Tales isn't particularly known for storytelling, it's more about flashy combat and character interactions if anything. So even if the whole cast are a bunch of walking stereotypes, watching them interact with each other might be fun.

Yeah, one of my favourite things about Tales is the skits, they are usually quite amusing.

I thought this might be the best place for this kind of information. If it's completely not allowed then please feel free to delete this comment.

For anyone into record collecting, Minority Records just pressed a 5th edition of the Machinarium Soundtrack on orange clear vinyl (500 copies). Here's a link for anyone interested (already ordered a copy for myself!)

min25_splash.png?itok=siQ7Xeb9

New Shenmue 3 screens have surfaced!

CZMAIEKWEAIUGqf.jpg

CZMAIEJWAAAekZ0.jpg

CZMAIENW0AAka9y.jpg

Source  (Twitter)

looks good for now, gotta keep in mind that this  game is targeting a December 2017 release window so it is still a few years away, better to be grateful were even getting screenshots at all this early in the development cycle :D

New trailer for VALKYRIA: AZURE REVOLUTION !

Shit looks dope. Really digging the art direction and also the soundtrack during the trailer is pretty great :) I hope we can get some actual gameplay footage soon tho.

What's this I'm hearing about FFVII remake coming out in 2017? Wtf?

Yeah because it's episodic so they can release episode 1 in 2017, although I haven't heard any concrete release window yet... where did you hear that it was coming out in 2017? rumor? source please?

I initially would predict that we would get episode 1 late this year since the game looked pretty far along in that demo they did at PSX but who knows... I'm really not looking forward waiting months possibly years for them release all the episodes so I can buy a complete physical copy all at once.... also there's the whole pricing debacle, like if they charge over $30 per episode that's gonna be retarded.

Yeah because it's episodic so they can release episode 1 in 2017, although I haven't heard any concrete release window yet... where did you hear that it was coming out in 2017? rumor? source please?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/2016-is-a-year-of-preparations-for-final-fantasy-v/1100-6433477/

Kitase said 2016 is a "year of preparations", which would imply that nothing will get released in 2016. It seems reasonable to assume that the first chunk will release next year.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/2016-is-a-year-of-preparations-for-final-fantasy-v/1100-6433477/

Kitase said 2016 is a "year of preparations", which would imply that nothing will get released in 2016. It seems reasonable to assume that the first chunk will release next year.

okay thanks :D I'm actually glad it's not gonna come out till 2017, this year is gonna be so swamped with great games that if this also came out this year I would probably just keel over xD

In other news apparently Obsidian is not opposed to the idea of making another Fallout game!

Former Fallout: New Vegas developer Eric Fenstermaker, speaking on behalf of Obsidian Entertainment, has revealed that the studio would like to work on another Fallout game in the future.

Recently asked if Obisidian could, or even wants to, make another Fallout, like "Fallout New Orleans, perhaps," Fenstermaker spoke candidly.

"I'm always up for working on a Fallout," he replied, "I think most of us generally are. [it's a] really fun property to work with."

While it's certainly not confirmation or anything, it does bring up an interesting question. Will we get another Fallout game from Obsidian Entertainment? At this point, its unclear, but the overall support from Fallout 4 could push publisher Bethesda to pull the trigger on future games. Obsidian Entermentment went on to make some really outstanding games since Fallout: New VegasSouth Park: The Stick of Truth, Dungeon Siege 3, and the recently Kickstarted title, Pillars of Eternity, to name a few.

There is still plenty of time for Bethesda to make this decision. Fallout 4 is still pretty new and we've still yet to even dip into the DLC, which is supposed to be huge, according to Todd Howard.

"This game is huge, but it's not just this launch," Howard said. "It's going to be well deep into next year. It's like the game is done [does air quotes] but it's not done, because until everybody plays it, it's not really done. Because what they bring to it is really important; we're going to see what people like, what they want more of, what they want different, and we're going to do that."

We still don’t know exactly what the DLC will consist of, but there is plenty of speculation that it will take place underwater.

Now this is a pretty awesome piece of news granted it's not a confirmation or anything but to just hear that Obsidian would love to work on another fallout game is pretty awesome :D that makes it a more likely possibility than before and I personally would love to see another spinoff, maybe it'd take place in New Orleans or even somewhere else that we wouldn't expect!

and there's a new trailer for the Attack on Titan PS4 game from Tecmo Koei

not gonna lie looks pretty promising. The graphics are perfect. The Destruction is awesome tho definitely a awesome feature. This has potential to be really fun, the biggest thing I feel that they need to get right is the controls, if the controls aren't tight and responsive and make sense then the game is not probably not gonna be very fun to play. I would also add more gore to the game... there was a bit in this trailer but not nearly enough, it should be as gory as possible imo.

I initially would predict that we would get episode 1 late this year since the game looked pretty far along in that demo they did at PSX but who knows... I'm really not looking forward waiting months possibly years for them release all the episodes so I can buy a complete physical copy all at once.... also there's the whole pricing debacle, like if they charge over $30 per episode that's gonna be retarded.

Fairly sure it was mentioned that each "episode" would have enough content to be seen as a full game so I dare say they'll be about the price of a regular game. Maybe just a little below. (Still wondering if they're going to put in DoC and/or CC somehow)

The first episode will most likely be released in 2017 because it'll be VII's 20th anniversary. Well, that's what most people are thinking at least.

I doubt they'll release anything of VII this year considering all the games that are coming this year. They won't cut into their own sales by having a close gap between XV and VII releases as a lot of people will want to buy both. And then there's still KH3 coming which I'm assuming would be end of this year or early next year. (but considering this is square, I guess anything's possible)

Well Keiji Inafune just burst everybody's bubble (again!) regarding Mighty No. 9 Delaying it for a third time to a unannounced date.

The reason for the delay is rooted in bugs inside the network modes, and specifically problems with matchmaking. There are two large reasons for this problem, one of them being the large number of platforms supported (the solution for each platform is slightly different) and the other stems from the fact that the engine we are using is no longer being updated which means adjustments for matchmaking and online code are being made manually (actually reprogramming parts of the engine by the dev team themselves). Unfortunately, this is all a result of miscalculations on the part of us, the development staff.

Source / Kickstarter

this sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised, honestly I kind of foresaw it being delayed again, I can't really complain I didn't back the kickstarter to begin with so I'll just have to wait, but I can't help feel frustrated and sad for the people who did spend money to fund this game and it taking so long to come out.

I'm still hype for it and all these delays will in the long run make the game better, I mean every single time I see a new build demo of it I get more excited and start noticing things that are better or improved over the last demo. Here's to hoping it gets released before Summer.

I do hope Inafune-san has learned his lesson and next time (if there is a next time) when making a community funded game it probably be better not to give yourself too much work and attempt to release the game on every damn system under the sun, because lets be real we all know the reason it's been delayed so much is because of the multi-platform aspirations of the game.