togz

Black Gene for the Next Scene

So I happened to come across this thing today.

I think it's a lot better than the release previous to this one. I know many people probably look at BFN as some kind of joke because of the cheesy synths and the hella auto tune on Ice's voice sometimes. Rame, Ice and Toki having come from well known bands in the past, this is probably a very different project that people may not exactly prefer.

I personally dislike over use of auto tune most of the time when it's clearly used to AUTO TUNE BAD SINGING. Considering BFNs theme and the kind of music they claim to aim for I think the auto tune they tend to use sometimes (often) is acceptable. From live videos I have seen, it seems it's difficult for them to perform such a strong electronically inspired sound. Regardless i think this band is really fun, and while they're not technical, they're very very enjoyable. 

Thoughts? 

Even if it's on their A+ CG in their PVs lol <_>
What about that Party City commercial they did ( joking)

For a long time I was avoiding BFN cuz their first PV/song was kinda dumb and boring but then I randomly checked out something they did later and decided to give them a shot... and they're not bad at all! Ice has a very capable and nice voice (he especially shines in the new single's A-side imo) and they manage to make their songs interesting most of the time by all the electronic thingies. Hence, I tend to prefer their material with an abundance of said electro-effects but their more "plain" songs ain't bad either.

I'm not a fan but their stuff can be nice to listen to, on occasion from time to time.

Ice has a very capable and nice voice (he especially shines in the new single's A-side imo) 

I have to agree on this. He seems to be doing less auto tune.

I actually like his singing voice over the screaming, but it's fine to add here and there. Unfortunately I think the song that best showcases his voice is Misty from Xodiack. It's not BFN... but... IT'S REALLY GREAT OK. 

Also surprised to hear positive feedback on this band from jigsaw <3 me gusta :'D

Unfortunately I think the song that best showcases his voice is Misty from Xodiack. It's not BFN... but... IT'S REALLY GREAT OK.

THIS! but that part in the middle of monsters in the world where he repeats in a deep singing voice was good. and the slow habata lalu part too.

I kinda mad the new single had no harsh his high screams gooooo! (so nasty, so hot) and growls are decent  (like em) which is rare really in visual kei (the best in vk too). they really should go deathcore. ummmm over all i like the band more than others. BFN > xodiack

lol ice is the person that's doing muscle-kei

fav songs シニカル ワー悪~This is monster world~  Gokusaimu  kraken, and fear dance

I don't think they should do death metal. 
If they did they might as well disband and remake under a new name and whole new look concept. 

Plus Ice has way too goo of a singing voice to switch to death metal. What a waste.

I was really excited about their first couple of releases but everything recently has been a huge letdown for me (along with basically every band I've followed ex.Vidoll members into, sadly). This just feels too cheesy and try hard. Then again I've always felt that way about Ice/Eros. Am I the only one who gets mini-Gackt vibes from him?

I actually can't stand gackts music or voice so I have to disagree with you on that. They're too vastly different to me. 
I think Ice/Eros choice in look concepts are cheesy and looks like he tries too hard sometimes, but he has vocal talent in my opinion. 
I actually prefer their more recent releases over their older ones. I think the last two releases are a good improvement from the album, which wasn't terrible, but it was just kinda hey this is alright. 

I didn't mean to imply he doesn't have talent. Not at all. He does have a strong voice... I think it's more of the bravado that reminds me of Gackt, but some of the vibrato in his voice too. Maybe that's just me, tho. The try hard and cheese are in his performances more than the vocal style (though sometimes it bleeds over, imo). The new stuff, I'm not even sure why it doesn't stick with me. But maybe the old stuff didn't either and I was viewing it through nostalgia glasses because I was so excited for Rame to have a new project with other known musicians. I can't say for sure.

I don't think they should do death metal. 

If they did they might as well disband and remake under a new name and whole new look concept. 

Plus Ice has way too goo of a singing voice to switch to death metal. What a waste.

i said deathcore which has different levels of heavyness old (BTH - white chapel) so it really can stay BFN. anyway like nocturnal bloodlust with out the stupid.

I actually can't stand gackts music or voice so I have to disagree with you on that. They're too vastly different to me.

same

I love this band. Although some releases are kind of bad.  But I love the cheesy synths lol.  I don't mind the auto tune that much.  I was a big fan of Vidoll and love Rame.  I like how they have a somewhat original sound compared to most visual kei bands.  And Ice's voice is really nice.

I'm still pretty new to them but I think they're fun to listen to, even if at times they sound way too much like Vocaloid music and their visuals scream cosplay :D I also really like Ice's voice, which is why I started listening to them.

I'm also quite new to them, in that I've only listened to one or two tracks by them but I do have an whole album of theirs I'm looking forward to listening to. Their style is so silly looking to me that I find it fantastic. In my opinion, they're a bit like a cross between Oshare and Visual Kei, so I didn't know what to expect, I just gave them a shot and I really enjoy their music. I understand how it can't be everyone's cup of tea but I'm rather fond of them. : 3

Always liked this vocalist, though I didn't like XodiacK, but this band, so far, is right up my alley

I wasn't feeling XodiacK really, but after having recently revisited some of their discography, Ice/Eros really shines through in some of their work over black gene for the next scene. I Like BFN because they're fun, and pretty different compared to a lot of bands in the VK scene right now, but I felt like in XodiacK, Ice/Eros has more melodic vocal work (minus the screams, those needed work).

Ice's clean singing is most beautiful when it isn't auto-tuned, I honestly do not quite understand why they over-use the auto-tune that much, because listen to this:

And then it is still slightly auto-tuned. But I suppose it goes with their electro/synth-sound. It's somewhat of a shame that it's their central point of attention, however I still enjoy this band immensely.

misty shits on that, so auto-tuned or not doesn't matter.

While Misty is definitely the best song I think he's sung in, if I recall correctly... I have seen some live videos of bfn and he doesn't sing too hot. His vocal techniques in a live performance are all over the place, and while that doesn't usually matter since the experience is probably better seeing them live anyway... I don't think Ice is a FANTASTIC vocalist. I think even Misty was just produced and mixed very well. Or maybe he's better as a recording artist and performances are his weak area... but regardless... bfn's theme kinda revolves around the high useage of auto tune, synths, and electronic sounds in general.

But, looking back at Ice's older bands like Arc-turus and A級火山... he has come a long ... LONG way. Both of these bands are pretty laughable imo.
I guess 17 year old Eros to 28 year old Ice has been a long journey.

Ice aside... Toki makes me laugh too a little. He has some interesting guitar work, but goofs his solos up so much it kind of hurts.

Regardless of all this... I still think that BFN is so much fun, and is kind of a breath of fresh air that not all VK bands have to have this serious persona going on all the time. This band is literally composed of a bunch of goofballs that make making music look and sound fun i think.

I'm glad someone else mentions Ice reminding them of Gackt, I've felt this way since Black Gene started, from his clean vocals all the way down to the guy's face and.... body. Although I'd say there is a bit more right throat sound to Gackt's singing (his usual mid range)

I actually thought the latest mini was a clear step up. I'm going to listen again after work but I remember being quite cool serious sections to each track, not that I'd want to see them lose their humor !

..... That's funny because I can't stand the way gackt looks or his voice.... so I don't really see how I would like one and not the other if they were OH SO SIMILAR lol. This is a joke, I'm sorry. 

That aside... I have mixed feelings about the new Mini, maybe a after a few listens I'll change my mind. 

on another note... I thought this picture was pretty funny.... 

Señor Ice

10676282_1487216504890540_83951674905606

but then my friend was kinda enough to photoshop a rose in his mouth

10518832_10204459006449538_7130003079889

now he's just missing a mustache or something.

i like the last joint better, i dont like their soft none catchy or non-brutal vocals songs

I'm new with BGFTNS, and since there is no review topic for their latest mini-album (and don't want to create one - I'm not a reviewer person), I'll write my thoughts here.

So, I started with their latest mini-album, just wanted to give it a try (why the hell not), and surprise! I enjoyed it so much and I still listen regularly (because it's so good for me).

Naturally, following this new obsession for this release, I checked their first album, waiting to find once again the same shit (and when I say the same, it's more the way like something as enjoyable and addictive than this mini-album). It was so PAINFUL #facepalm

Songs after songs... I'm already bored to death at the 6th track, want to kill myself at the 10th, and then I quit x.X. This is strange because, with the mini-album I wasn't expecting something so bland. I'm kinda disappointed tbh. 

Still, I'll check what they'll do in the future, they're interesting (when they want lmao).