Muma

HEADPHONES

I've been meaning to make this topic for a while...

Headphones are something I always seem to struggle with, in terms of ones that cover a large variety of genres. It's especially hard to find ones that don't make metal (generalizing a bit there) sound a little muddy

I currently have these ones
http://www.thehouseofmarley.co.uk/headphones/over-ear-headphones/rise-up-over-ear-headphones.html
they're the first set of not-in-ear headphones I've had and I would definitely rate them in terms of sound quality, I don't have a lot to compare them to though, but comfy and all of the HOM headphones look awesome! (mine is in camel) but it seems they're breaking on one side, it hasn't affected the sound at all but one arm doesn't lock anymore so it keeps falling down one side of my face Dx despite quality supposedly being a selling point, not impressed and I need to chase that up...

But still hasn't stopped me from doing a little bit of digging around and it's always good to know for future reference

Preferably looking for ones that are over ear and also...don't break the bank > < which is a lot to ask for when going for quality headphones it seems. But if anyone has any suggestions then feel free to send them my way.

I've heard good things about Grado headphones and these are the ones that caught my eye

http://www.grado.co.uk/grado-earphones/sr60i-headphones.htm

I also think they're fairy reasonable in terms of price and anything around that (or less xP) would be ideal

Moved it to general discussion :)

YES HELLO SAI HAS ARRIVED TO ONCE AGAIN PRAISE HER OWN HEADPHONES INTO HIGH HEAVENS.

For anyone wondering, YES I still have these headphones because they didn't break. Been going strong with them for almost 4 years.

ANYWAY, HERE ARE PROBABLY THE BEST HEADPHONES IN THE BELOW 100 POUNDS CATEGORY.

AKG-K518DJ.jpg

These are the AKG-K518DJ

They are without a doubt AKG's most popular model and despite its age and many newer models this one is still being made and sold in many electronic stores throughout Germany. Bonsai can probably confirm that these are good enough.

Anyway, these headphones are really good in term of sound. For their price you wouldn't expect the quality that you're getting. Their isolation is really good, both from the inside as the outside. I hardly hear what's going on around me and others aren't hearing what I'm listening either. They are bendable on both sides, so that you can click it into a bundle if you're taking them on the go. It protects the headphones and it's easier to bring with you in a bag or so. The bendable parts are rather strong. I've dropped the headphones a couple of times but they're still completely intact. This model comes with a nice little bag to put them in along with a plug that you can use on your amplifier.

The thing what makes these headphones so special are that BECAUSE they are designed for DJs they have a strong emphasis on bass. It's not all over the place, but audible enough to have a nice audible bass in a song. I really enjoy these while listening to both rock and pop music. Bass-wise they're definitely better than other AKG models.

If you want some feedback, ask either D.L.S or CaRaN. Both users bought this pair on my advice and both have told to me that they really enjoyed them (well, CaRaN's broke already for some reason, no idea how since mine seem immortal).

Their price? 50 euros. Not sure what their price in pounds is, but you can already guess that for the quality you get the price is excellent.

A few cons: do realize that for this money they're not the best of the best. If you want really REALLY good headphones, then you have to look more in the price category of 200-300 euros, I'm afraid. Also, when they're just new they tend to put a bit too much pressure on your ears. This will decrease over time though. The pads are okay, but I sometimes get painful ears if the headphones aren't placed well. Also one more thing: don't listen to rips below 192kbps with this thing, because if you put shit in it will put shit out. I've had to stop ripping YT vids for releases that weren't out yet just because they sounded like absolute crap on these headphones.

In all, I have been really content with them, and I'd definitely consider getting these!

well hello there, you've come to the right place :D

first i would maybe propose this thread here http://www.monochrome-heaven.com/topic/11752-earphonesheadphones/
as a maybe interesting read, particularly that headphone-guide-pdf that Zess posted http://ec.libsyn.com/p/9/f/f/9ffab659c693aad6/headfi-summerguide-2012.pdf?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01c08336d1c95f1837&c_id=4695668

also i can fullheartedly recommend those grados to you (not for that price tho, the are way cheaper usually) since i own a pair of SR80's myself and have so far never come across any other heads in the low to mid pricerange that even come close.

31FuJ3XCFmL.jpg

Really, i've compared them to LOTS of other (and pricier) headphones, and the never let me down. Grados are remarkable.

although sounding sublime they just have two problems:

1. they're open back. this is probably the main reason for sounding good, but if it's important to not let your whole surroundings know what you're listening to (say like in a library, or at desk-work...) they're not ideal

2. they are not exactly the most comfy heads too, since they're On-the-Ear as opposed to over the ear. but you can still have them on for a good 3 hours or so before it gets a bit uncomfortable.

EDIT: as a bit of extension reading sai's post i might add one or two points.

regarding the AKG's for 50 Bucks they really are very reasonably priced, also they come in many different colours and look funky which is cool too. as i had the opportunity to listen to the pair of my flatmate a few times now i can say that they sound okyish to good, but they are your typical closed back heads, meaning a little narrow in terms of stereo-image and with a very noticable hump in the low-mids (which sai described earlier) which can be pleasing at times, just isn't for me.

also they don't all seem that bulletproof, as i had to repair said heads two or three times already (the jack to be precise)

which is okay and probably the usual breaking point for any head, that cable just really isn't very repair-friendly :P

that beeing said my grado are quite literally falling apart too tho, repaired the cable about 6 times and other parts a few times too,

but i had them for a good 7 years now, and even bought them used in the first place

(and used them more or less every day, inside and mainly outside) so that was to be expected.

the best "affordable" option in terms of closed Heads, that don't really suffer that much from their closed-backness are the Audio-Technika ATH-M50. they are really comfortable too and priced around 160€ but you can also find them for around 100 on ebay...

13576764179617.jpg

Some manufacturers lean towards certain sounds more than others. For example, Grados pair well with rock and metal music and would do you well if that's a majority of what you listen to. You can find neutral headphones too if that's what you wish.  If you want to go Grados or AKG, try before you buy. People either love them or hate them, and either find them comfortable or uncomfortable. It's true for any type of headphone, but especially these two brands. You won't know for yourself until you demo them.

My recommendation for you would be to check out this guide. Head-Fi has questionable opinions on many fronts and I don't subscribe to the hype, but their lists of headphones to purchase are accurate.

Aaah, thanks for all the replies already guys ^-^ and I will probably voice some of my thoughts later as I tend to be the kind of person who likes to know EVERYTHING about something before delving into it (so research coming up) but after reading that other thread I feel especially enlightened by your headphone journey Zess xD

And I know what you mean by putting shit in you'll get shit out > < that's another concern of mine I guess, as not all of my stuff is in great quality, and I don't have the money to replace (or heart to get rid) of any music below 'x' quality. But I figure that headphones is a good place to start...

And also, I feel I mainly listen to a lot of music in the rock/metal category, but that's not ALL I listen to

I seem to have occasional outbursts of craving piano music for example, not sure how that will sound on the Grados headphones, which I was originally drawn to because of the metal/rock ratings

I think the biggest thing is that you need to figure out is your budget. I mean, that will greatly effect what recommendations we can give you.

I fully recommend that you try to listen to the headphones if you get a chance. I have purchased headphones unheard before, but I guarantee you that you will feel a lot more confident in your purchase if you get a chance to listen to them first.

My budget is around the £100 mark I guess, but cheaper is always appreciated :P

And yeah, I've been looking round places where I can try out some of the headphones mentioned here amongst others, because testing out headphones before basically meant either going into HMV or going into a BOSE store...

I've been eyeing the Grado ones for a while, but purely because the ones sai brought up are basically half price i'm kind of swayed towards that >...< (c'mon though who doesn't like a bargain) but it's also the open vs closed

I'm not sure I have that good an ear to tell the difference?? Then is it worth it like....

but they are your typical closed back heads, meaning a little narrow in terms of stereo-image and with a very noticable hump in the low-mids

duuuude I have no clue what any of this means and when I tried to find out...

nope, still nothing :( if anything I have even less clue

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DGTGNG Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone

I've had these for over 3 years and they are still in near mint condition, despite the cord being accidentally yanked several times. (I sit cross-legged in front of my laptop, so uncrossing my legs in an unladylike manner means the cord gets caught on my foot and is sometimes violently unplugged. XD) This is the long cord version, so I don't use these when traveling.

I couldn't tell you about all the technical aspects, but this headphone suits my needs.

Also it's worth asking, more in terms of Grados ones (I seem to be leaning that way again) anyone know the chance of picking up fakes if I look on ebay or somewhere of the likes? In that guide thing it says $80 (which = £50 apparently) it always becomes a little more expensive anyway from dollars to pounds with these kind of things, but not over double the price?! Seems a little fishy to me and -slams fist- I feel i'm being cheated already....

duuuude I have no clue what any of this means and when I tried to find out...

nope, still nothing :( if anything I have even less clue

No Problem :P my guess is that when comparing you'll be easily find out that difference. think of closed backs like trying to listen to music with the head under water, as opposed to open backs, which are just a normal set of stereo speakers that are pretty close to your ears (yes, thats very exaggerated :D but to get the picture...)

and yes, as Zess and Ito pointed out, testing is essential for the purchase. boss trick, compare all the heads of your pricerange to the most stupidly expensive they have at the shop and then take the one that comes closest ;)

regarding the grado-ebay thing, they seem to fluctuate in price, i think they were cheaper half a year ago or sth. but i've never seen a fake one so far. that doesn't meen they don't exist, but i think ebay is pretty safe in that regard...

I guess it's more the narrow stereo-imaging and the humps in the low mids that I don't get :P and I've not had a chance to try out any open backs for the experience, but it seems like they'd bbe mote comfy for long periods of listening, so I'm more inclined towards them rn

And the eBay option seems p good too...

No Problem :P my guess is that when comparing you'll be easily find out that difference. think of closed backs like trying to listen to music with the head under water, as opposed to open backs, which are just a normal set of stereo speakers that are pretty close to your ears (yes, thats very exaggerated :D but to get the picture...)

That's pretty harsh XD

I would agree that open has the edge when it comes to pure audio fidelity, but to me they pretty much defeat the point of having headphones...If I am at work and I want to jam out, I can't use open back. If I am at home and I don't care who hears me, I will play stuff over my speakers. I am not trying to say that open suck or anything, but it is just something to really consider. Other area where I would give the edge to closed is in the low bass region, it just seems harder for open headphones to really have that deep of a low end.

Once again, I am not saying that you, Muma, shouldn't get open headphones, but they are definitely things to consider.

That's pretty harsh XD

I would agree that open has the edge when it comes to pure audio fidelity, but to me they pretty much defeat the point of having headphones...If I am at work and I want to jam out, I can't use open back. If I am at home and I don't care who hears me, I will play stuff over my speakers. I am not trying to say that open suck or anything, but it is just something to really consider. Other area where I would give the edge to closed is in the low bass region, it just seems harder for open headphones to really have that deep of a low end.

Once again, I am not saying that you, Muma, shouldn't get open headphones, but they are definitely things to consider.

Open backs are for people that don't want speakers especially if you want to get into hi-fi for reasons such not wanting roommates to get the reverberations from your room or get into room EQing which is a PITA. For those people open backs make perfect sense. You get good low end from orthos but then again, they cost a lot. 

The grados are on-ear but are light and should be good for long listening sessions but IMO not as comfy as over-ear.

whao, thats a VERY good deal, for very good headphones! don't know about overseas shipping tho and taxes etc...

EDIT: straight cable seems to be out, but the code applies to the coiled cable too (which is way cooler imo anyways) and shipping to UK is 27 dollars, that's in all still pretty darn cheap (about 90 pounds...)

well Im not a hipster so i use IEMs - HiFiMAN RE-400's to be exact, I feel weird walking around with a full on headset clamped to my head. But it does make me laugh when I see a hipster with a real dirt cheap set of sennheiser cans on his ears. 

eeeeh?! I dont' know why I didn't see this earlier :( but thanks guys (even though I was too late) really appreciate it >/////<

But I think i'm probably going to try out some headphones first before I buy this time tbh

And another question > < amps? I didn't even realize you could get mini ones for mp3 players / computers etc etc

One part of me is like 'ALL THE QUALITY' and the other half like 'Wait....money.....yes, I think you should wait'

Bumping this because I'm going to buy a new pair next week. I've been thinking of getting Audio Technicas, but I'll give a few headphones a sample to see which one sounds best imo (or well, which one fits best for my kind of music anyway).

Also lol @ people who wear enormous headphones in public. It's kind of annoying though, because I've had to do plenty of emergency brakes in my car because they're cycling/walking with their headphones on (volume set to max, of course) and just cross the street without looking. Young'uns today *shakes fist*

The only people I see wearing headphones in public are the ones wearing Beats by dr. dre and I think they're wearing them more as a fashion statement/accessoire than actually wanting to enjoy music to the fullest while on the road (I mean you already don't want to enjoy music to the fullest if you buy beats anyway, lol).

None in specific terms. I'm just going to try a few in that price category. The shops have them on display with a plug, so you can plug them into your mp3-device and give them a shot with your own music. I think I'll just give them a listen and pick the one that I like best.

i don't see why big headphones are a thing to criticised/laughed at? sure just flashing them to show some brands aroung defeats the purpose of headphones imho, but whats wrong with listening to music on your preferred headphones whilst outside? if i had the choice i sure as hell wouldn't go for crappier heads just because of fearing to be seen as a hipster or whatnot

EDIT: also yeah, in terms of closed headphones in the affordable pricerange the audiotechnica athm50's are probably one of the best options available

I used to bike around on campus all the time with my technics rp-dh1200 headphones...and I am the kind of person who bike fast and dangerously lol (though my campus is not what I would call a bustling city). One time I was going down a set of stairs and my headphone fell off and I rode over them...nothing more than just a scrape. Man, those Technics were built like tanks.