CAT5

What do you all like to listen to while studying, reading, etc?

So yeah, the title is kinda self-explanitory. What kind of music do you all like to listen to while studying or ready? Are there any specific songs, albums, or artists that you put on? Do you have a playlist specifically dedicated to studying/reading? Are there any genres that you find more suited to your study habits more than others? Let me know, i'm curious!

I like to study without music, but whenever I need to write a paper or read when there's tons of noise around, I put Spangle call Lilli line on. The forest at the head of a river album is my favorite in these cases. I try to finish most stuff by the last song and, in case I can't, I put another CD of theirs (Piano Lesson, VIEW) or just click repeat. It works beautifully to calm me down and keep me focused.

When I'm studying I like to listen to Merzbow (Merzbient is a favorite of mine) and Boris' dronier/instrumental stuff like Flood and The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked. For some reason that kind of music really helps get me into my "zone" which helps me to focus on my work without being too involved in the music itself. 

For reading novels, it depends on the mood or genre of the novel. Most of the times I listen to really mellow ambient and post-rockish stuff that isn't too distracting because my brain is absolutely terrible at multitasking. (If I listen to something too exciting, I start paying more attention to the music instead of what's going on in the book). 

I hate listening to music when I'm studying or reading, cuz it distracts me and I would end up just listening to the music, not doing anything else. XD

...but when I draw or paint I like to listen to whatever kind of music I imagine would fit the atmosphere/mood of the picture in my head that I'm trying to get onto paper. Usually it's either some death metal or extreme metal, or some dark post-punk / goth-like music.

yonasu3 mixtapes.

I dont really have a preference, some instrumental music helps, either some instrumental rock, or anything that involves an orchestra. Hiroyuki Sawano writes some amazing songs/compositions. He wrote if not all then most of the songs for Gundam Unicorn but hes got a huge library of stuff that i would listen to if i was studying

I prefer to avoid listening to music if I am studying or reading, anything that requires actual mental work to retain information I try to avoid music. There are times like say I'm on the metro or there's a lot of noise around me, I'll plug in headphones but that's to tune out those distractions so I can read. If I do put on music, it'll be instrumental work or something that isn't the usual Matina garbage or kvlty metal shit I like since that will distract me.

Though there are exception like the atmospheric kvlty metals that are 20 minute long songs of forest noise and some screeching here and there. That stuff is fine.

It's very hard for me to get distracted, but even then, I put my music on to be in a completely different world when I'm studying. Usually it's just my iPod playing my playlist of favorite tracks on shuffle. Most of the time, it ends up being some GazettE songs or Alice Nine. It takes me back and my brain starts functioning faster (or so it feels, it's a placebo type of effect)

EDIT: Usually, it also ends up being a playlist of songs that have some amazing lyrics in it because when I analyze the lyrics, as a writer, new songs start forming in my head and my brain starts to warm up. 

It really depends on my mood. If I'm frustrated while working, I tend to listen to angrier stuff with more screaming ("Kill your dog music," as a teacher once described it). Other times, I really like classical music while studying because it is easy to get lost in doing something while listening to that: it makes a very productive atmosphere for me. Most of the time, it really is whatever mood I'm in.

However, I try not to listen to new music while being productive. I find that when I do that, I spend more time trying to analyze the song and become familiar with it instead of actually, well, working.

Believe it or not but I prefer studying while listening to death/black metal. I think it is because it just usually creates somewhat of a static ambience because it is either atmospheric or I can not quite understand the lyrics if it is the case that I haven't looked them up yet. It's less of a distraction than poppy songs that are easy to sing or live along with.

I listen to music while working and studying, and there is no preferrable artist/genre, just what I'm into at the moment! Sometimes, if I love the song, I just end up getting distracted (mostly while I'm reading), and after a while I just think "what did I read in these last 2 pages?" XD

I hate listening to music when I'm studying or reading, cuz it distracts me and I would end up just listening to the music, not doing anything else. XD

This, i'm terrible at multi-tasking.

When I'm trying to do work, I usually put on some Baroque classical music...if I play anything else, I tend to get into the song and completely forget working because I'm rocking out. If I don't listen to something, I feel anxious and the work seems more stressful than it is. Don't ask why I use Baroque classical music specifically. I just do.

I always listen to classical music when I want to concentrate, but only instrumental or choir, no solo singers.

Lately I prefer Haydn.

I'd rather not listen to anything while studying or reading as I have great difficulties focusing when it's not dead silence. But I don't live alone so there's bound to be music or voices coming from the other room, so in those cases I have no choice but to play something to cover the other noises. Listening to music in my own room allows me to focus better than hearing someone else's music from the other room for example. Usually it's IDM, ambient, shoegaze or dream pop, though I prefer instrumental music otherwise I get too distracted by the vocals. My artists of choice that seem to work better than others are Displacer, The Luna Sequence and Go-qualia.

I never really bothered listening to music when I was at uni as it really distracted me. I have quite a short attention span when I can't be bothered to work and end up procrastinating.

However, when I'm at work a lot of the tasks I have are pretty mundane so I listen to music to help time go faster. It gives me time to listen to new albums; today's album of choice is 9Goats Black Out's Calling :)

I should probably get back to work actually... XD

Guest mitsubana

When I do homework, I usually listen to auncia. But in regards to studying / reading... I can't listen to music; it's too distracting. Before and during my runs in the mornings I love to listen to 蒼-AO-. Does that count? haha

Studying/reading: M-Koda/ESNO/Ametsub/anything electronic and calm

Relaxing: Shugo Tokumaru or school food punishment

I usually study better without music but when the library silence rooms are occupied I usually have to put some M-Koda on if I want to concentrate because of all the loud chatter around me.

^ Similar to sai, I find that laidback and dreamy electronic/idm helps when reading or studying. Post-rock, piano-centric jazz, and classical/modern classical also works great for me

Something upbeat that Ive listened to 1000 times.

but if im reading a book, I like to listen to something I dont know  the lyrics to since I end up distracted and singing them instead of reading.

Hmm... when I was in school I listen to lotsa Eminem and NWA.

Tried to rap all the Biology or American History so I can remember easier.