DeithX252

MIYAVI new album "MIYAVI" release

Not bad but nothing amazing, I'd prefer him to play a style similar to dear my friend, but I imagine he's long done with that

it's alright. not bad at all. better than anything on what's my name, which was mostly shit. though apart from samurai sessions, he's been quite repetive lately. I don't understand people talking about his creativity. day 1 and ahead of the light were pretty much the same. even the new song follows the same formula. funky guitar riff repeating over and over, unmelodic verse coming along and building up to a catchy chorus. samurai sessions and that kabuki-stuff are the best thing he has done. this minimalistic music got boring two years ago. this new sound is what what's my name should have been, but now it's time to move on. more samurai sessions please.

edit: now that I think of it, the chorus of horizon sounds like it could be from a flo rida song or the likes. which I approve. I see what he's doing there.

In my opinion, this song is the natural follow-up to Ahead of the Light. The song structure, the chorus, everything points to a more mainstream, dancey sound. This is the closest to something the average western dude would listen to. If he made a collaboration with a more famous vocalist and stuck to the guitarwork, I would most certainly bet on average sucess/radio play in the west. He had his early vk phase, his distorted guitar phase, his mad skillzzz phase, his experimental phase, his raw guitar phase, and now this mainstream electronic influenced one. Each miyavi album tells us a part of his story. I guess it's pretty safe to say that this album will not please everyone. He does the music he wants to, and that's GREAT.

> If he made a collaboration with a more famous vocalist and stuck to the guitarwork, I would most certainly bet on average sucess/radio play in the west

agreed 2000000000000 %, he should team up with kelis so they would have sort of flopped together

^ I agree with bakteeri so hard! Back to Samurai Sessions and This Iz the Japanese Kabuki Rock album style please!

After hearing the whole song, I kind of like it. But I wouldn't want a whole album based around this type of musical theme.

That's not what Miyavi fans were saying in 2008 when that album was released. Everyone was sick to death of that musical style and wanted Miyavi to move on to something new. Said fans voted with their wallet. I even remember Miyavi saying something about how dismayed he was that the album didn't sell as much as he was hoping it would. He then listened, got rid of the Kavki Boiz and moved on to something new and now there's complaints that he should go back.

If there's one thing about Miyavi as an artist, it's that he taps into a style fully before he moves on. He's done with that style and he's never going back. Ever. That's what the camp of Miyavi fans that wanted more Miyavizm found out the hard way.

It's also very interesting to read this argument:

it's alright. not bad at all. better than anything on what's my name, which was mostly shit. though apart from samurai sessions, he's been quite repetive lately. I don't understand people talking about his creativity. day 1 and ahead of the light were pretty much the same. even the new song follows the same formula. funky guitar riff repeating over and over, unmelodic verse coming along and building up to a catchy chorus. samurai sessions and that kabuki-stuff are the best thing he has done. this minimalistic music got boring two years ago. this new sound is what what's my name should have been, but now it's time to move on. more samurai sessions please.

edit: now that I think of it, the chorus of horizon sounds like it could be from a flo rida song or the likes. which I approve. I see what he's doing there.

This argument was phrased very similarly when This Iz The Japanese Kabuki Rock was in vogue. The album is a few years too late. He's doing the same thing over and over. It's so unoriginal. Things before it are the best things he's ever done. In a few years when Miyavi is doing something else, which may or may not even include a guitar, people will look back fondly on this moment and say that they wish he went back to this style of music.

Hindsight is so 20/20 it hurts.

due le quartz revival pls

(Honestly, I haven't cared about Miyavi since 2008, but this song isn't that bad. Since this style is dramatically different from the last thing I recall listening to by him [whatever album he had the ugly dreads and did a song with Sugizo on], I'm sure in a year or two his music will have a stark contrast to this song / era)

idk, the only good thing about dlq were remakes he did for his first two solo albums. and their looks.

but, like, everyone in pre-2007 VK looked pretty, ugly ghouls came later.

That's not what Miyavi fans were saying in 2008 when that album was released. Everyone was sick to death of that musical style and wanted Miyavi to move on to something new.

gotta say you are so right with that one. I didn't care for his kabuki-sound back then, but it has really grown on me since. I got really into it right when he left psc. but I think most people back then hoped for melodic rock without the rappers. not some simple talent-wasting guitar-voice-drums jamming that doesn't work as a full album. and from what I remember, no one ever said that kabuki rock was unoriginal and overdone. people just thought it was gay.

maybe some people will hope for more what's my name in a few years. maybe he's just way ahead of his time. though he did make samurai sessions in between what's my name and MIYAVI and most seem to agree that it was awesome.

gotta say you are so right with that one. I didn't care for his kabuki-sound back then, but it has really grown on me since. I got really into it right when he left psc. but I think most people back then hoped for melodic rock without the rappers. not some simple talent-wasting guitar-voice-drums jamming that doesn't work as a full album. and from what I remember, no one ever said that kabuki rock was unoriginal and overdone. people just thought it was gay.

maybe some people will hope for more what's my name in a few years. maybe he's just way ahead of his time. though he did make samurai sessions in between what's my name and MIYAVI and most seem to agree that it was awesome.

The "original and overdone" part admittedly comes from people I hung out with that liked J-Rock and Miyavi in particular. That's not the opinion of all fans though but since enough people said it so it was worth including. Not like these people had opinions I valued much but opinions are opinions and reactions are reactions.

couldn't care less about what miyavi-"era" or whatever we are in or transferring to. hate this preview and quite a bunch of the other ones simply because they're crappy songs, badly performed and questionably produced.

I don't mind him doing pop/dancey music if that's what he wants, but personally I don't like it. It's true, Miyavi never sticks with one style of music for too long and he's an ever-changing artist, so it's not all that surprising he's gone doing something different again. Although I think it's pretty cool that he's playing whatever he wants to, that doesn't mean I'll like everything he does. I heard all the samples a few days ago and I'm pretty sure I don't like the new stuff. Some songs actually reminded me of Backstreet Boys or the English boyband Five.

due le quartz revival pls

Love Due le Quartzc, but a new singer...sorry Sakito...but his vocals just aren't too good for me...

That's

not what Miyavi fans were saying in 2008 when that album was released.

Everyone was sick to death of that musical style and wanted Miyavi to

move on to something new. Said fans voted with their wallet. I even

remember Miyavi saying something about how dismayed he was that the

album didn't sell as much as he was hoping it would. He then listened,

got rid of the Kavki Boiz and moved on to something new and now there's

complaints that he should go back.

I wasn't talking from the stand point of the whole fan base...I meant me personally...I only agreed with bakteeri's statement about that sound being the sound I wish he'd go back to and I've always claimed that Kavki Boiz and that album were my favorite of his....sad it didn't sell as good as it should have, but I still think it's his best work and my personal favorite.

Damn, Zess always strikes gold

couldn't care less about what miyavi-"era" or whatever we are in or transferring to. hate this preview and quite a bunch of the other ones simply because they're crappy songs, badly performed and questionably produced.

Would you mind elaborating as to what you mean by "badly performed" and "questionably produced?" Sounds like every other person in the review section before the rules changed when most would just write "album sucks, disband please; shit 0/10"

Would you mind elaborating as to what you mean by "badly performed" and "questionably produced?" Sounds like every other person in the review section before the rules changed when most would just write "album sucks, disband please; shit 0/10"

Pretty much this.

what variety
i don't listen to him. i only listened to miyavi the first years. but  when he got out of vkei whenever i see something from him,i think he has a very specific sound and i don't see much change. everything sounds the same style to me

wait no. this sounds even more pop than before or  boring

(the first songs he did out of vkei at least had more the guitar feeling)

i would want to see a song with his wife too.nice idea

( i am not a fan  so don't take my opinion heavily and i haven't listen to a whole album  from the last years but the general impression  i can see from some songs )

Pretty much this.

ok, since i have apparently not explained enough (or at all) here's what that meant.

"badly performed": miyavi still isn't that great of a singer, better than your average vk-dude but still, he's especially not very good at writing/singing nice vocal melodies. also while he is arguably one of the most fluent english speakers in the j-rock corner, the engrish is still strong with him, so singing in english really doesn't help much, as does the fact that each time he speaks/sings in english he somehow feels the urge for either pseudo-inspirational nonsense or utter bro-talk (yo yo, imma rawk teh wurrrld, murtherfurkers)

"questionably produced": the main problem here is this one. all the critic above was always there (apart from the english singing which started later), but so far his albums have offered enough other stuff to keep oneself entertained plenty. don't know much about his duelequartz/VK phase, but later with kavaki boys and 7 samurais there was a huge band involved that all did interesting stuff at a top level. on "whatsmyname" he could really show off his pretty unique guitarslapping and looping stuff, whilst having a (in jrock-corner) pretty unusual garagy 60's production sound to it, and a sick ass drummer. this was a guitar-focused album (where he's good at) with added vocals. in terms of vocals he additionally was also able to cover up most "melodie" and engrish problems by simply adding a little scream/shout value to it (it's kind of a cheap trick, but it works...)

and now in the production the obvious main-focus lies on the vocals... i find that to be a bad choice.

dance pop synthie stuff is totally my thing, but it's just not well executed here. maybe because kpop has ruined me in this corner but here it is really basic and boring stuff. i would understand switching the groovemonster that is bobo to an electronic dance beat if it was an ok dance track, but it isn't. so this is just another reduction of quality too (yeah, he plays in the videos and live, but certainly not in most of the cd-tracks).

that leads to another problem, miyavi isn't that well of a songwriter, he always had a knack for good hooks, riffs and otherwise interesting and cool song-elements, but to stretch that over a whole song most of the time didn't work that great, but as mentioned earlier that didn't matter much, because there was stuff to keep you entertained (weird ass band with step dancer / manic guitarwanking+distorted drums)

in both those areas miyavi isn't really bad, but not strong enough to carry an album with it alone, when the other parts strip away or are badly executed.

you know miyavi was one of the very first artists i listened when i first found out about vkei (lol toghether with deg back then lol) and i knew almost everything from his first works.but then i lost interest so much when i started finding out and caring about other artists.
when Kavki Boiz  era came i had already completely lost interest.

when he was Kavki Boiz  era
wasn't he still in vkei. like saying he was neo vkei or something but the guitar slapping and specific new sound was starting from then.

i just saw the argument above.in every artist i see this. it's very simple to me to understand .people don't always complain nomatter what. for example here probably they didn't like Kavki Boiz style. but then he did something even worst for them  that they hated more. so Kavki Boiz seems now awesome compared.

The worldwide release will be in OCTOBER (both physical and digital).

Source : MIYAVI STAFF Twitter

The worldwide release will be in OCTOBER (both physical and digital).

Source : MIYAVI STAFF Twitter

Wait so does this mean it's not out in Japan yet and they pushed it to October or is this when the rest of the world gets it?

Augie's correct. The album will be released in Japan and on Japanese iTunes on 19.06.2013, but the album will be released in other countries both physically as digitally in October. I wonder why only October, considering they probably don't have to translate much lyrics (seeing as as far as I heard from the previews everything is in English). Then again, I don't really know the process of something like this.