Sign in to follow this  
Manabu

Bands that use the same structure

So recently I've began noticing bands using the same structure for most of their songs, or at least their hits

For instance LM.C-

Intro

verse

bridge/heavy bit

chorus

verse with melodic guitar line

chorus

break/interlude/solo

chorus

Don't believe me? listen to oh my juliet, chemical king twoon, john. I could name more

Fact also suffer from the same problem.

My main point of this thread is, do you know any bands who use the same structure?

Well, almost all 'popular' bands (major or semi-major VK) use all the same structures as I observed it, kinda.

main part --> verse --> bridge --> main part --> verse --> bridge --> chorus --> solo or breakdown --> bridge --> chorus (maybe twice)

...then maybe main part as outro again.

I think that's pretty much every other bands, man. :banjo:

I suppose, it's just dissappointing :/ You find a band you think is great then realize they're lazy

Having structure in your music isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not having structure in your music isn't necessarily a good thing. The music should just be so good that even if there is a structure it makes the song better or you just don't notice it. If rigid structure in your music is starting to bother you, you should try checking out some genres that don't follow "conventional" structure in their approach to composition. Drone metal, doom metal, black metal and math metal are great places to start.

Plastic Tree

This band recycles the formula of their single tracks to the point where it's not even funny anymore. I can't decide whether their new material is awful or passable ( with the occasional really good bits here and there )

Having structure in your music isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not having structure in your music isn't necessarily a good thing. The music should just be so good that even if there is a structure it makes the song better or you just don't notice it. If rigid structure in your music is starting to bother you, you should try checking out some genres that don't follow "conventional" structure in their approach to composition. Drone metal, doom metal, black metal and math metal are great places to start.

I'm not really into metal. I know I should have an open mind but I'm fairly positive I wont enjoy it or I'll find it boring. The closest to metal I like is fear and loathing in las vegas and sunsgrind

Music has to have some form of structure. From the melody's, harmonies and chord progressions to the way verses, choruses etc are placed. There has to be some form of repetition and structure otherwise the music would just be all over the place and not sound very good at all.

And the structure you mentioned is pretty common. Like other similar ones

intro

verse

chorus

verse

chorus

bridge

chorus/end

I don’t necessarily think it makes bands lazy. Some bands just choose those structures because their simple and straightforward. It makes it accessible. I personally don’t really care if a band uses simple common music structures as long as the music they make is good. Sure there are bands who makes subpar, generic music with common music structure, but there are a lot of bands who use those some structures and have amazing songs. It’s more about the effort the band puts into the music that really matters. And usually bands that are just starting out use those common structures because like I mentioned, they’re pretty simple and easy. As bands grow and progressive as musicians, they’ll tend to incorporate more complex and original compositions.

Also if you want to listen to bands and songs with interesting structures then you should probably just try to listen to as much music as possible and be open to trying other genres. You’ll find a lot of bands that use more diverse structures like interludes, pre-chorus- pre-verses, post choruses-post-verses, double bridges, trolls etc to make their music more interesting. Along with more advanced music theory like counterpoint, syncopation, varied cadences and grooves. All that good junk.

Pretty much every band I listen to follows that same structure.

Intro

Verse

Chorus

Verse

Chorus

Bridge / Intro (again) / Breakdown (w/e)

The genre of music plays a large roll in what kind of structure you may find.

It's cool if band sometimes mixes things up not saying that, actually hope there would be more progressive structures in vkei too... But what comes out of instrument of band members is still only truly important thing for me. Stating the obvious? Probably, but I personally feel structures are meaningless thing to think about anyway other than from musicians perspective, I hardly ever give such thing a thought really. Of course it sometimes reaches point where music seems just uninspired and bad and they may seem to make same song again and again or something as horrid but I'd not blame structures about that, it's just inspiration missing then for one reason or another...

I would say any anime related artist if I could. Actually saying a band, I'd go for... all the bands that sound the same in the majority of their songs. *tries to think up of a long ass list* From the top of my head, I'd say tricot fall into this a lot.

We could apply this to all those trending (MINUS occasional "art kei" acts) vk acts and tie-in rock bands (Orange Range and whatnot) these days.

No seriously, are there any post-05 visual kei songs with *unusual builds*? e.g. back in the 90s Luna Sea had a few songs which lacked pre-choruses (necessary for pop songs!) almost completely - as in songs like "Storm" for instance.

To me, it doesn`t matter that much if the band changes structure, it`s what they do with the structure, as there is still a huge amount of space to do different things within, and countless songs have used the exact same structures over decades with very different results. 

It also seems like every couple of years there is a slightly new take on a certain style of music that allows artists to be hugely successful and build high esteem (even if momentary) while stripping the music down to a core simplicity and featuring a certain sound or technique that becomes trendy.

There are also a number of bands that specialize in having a distinct sound and not straying from it. I can enjoy that, as well as bands that use a varying range of sounds and structures (SID, SuG, MuCC, etc...)

In the same way movies use the same structures with even less variation, relying on the material presented within that structure to do something different. And even then, there are works that stand as landmarks, like Rashomon, and live on with esteem in certain circles, yet, way more people have seen the latest Hollywood Blockbuster, and were entertained by it.

The way we interpret mediums relies on past experiences and the sensibilities developed from them. So the vast majority of people will enjoy the same structure, and the same chord progressions, and things that differ from the norm don`t go down as smoothly, the experience is harder to grasp, and appreciate. There are of course the occasional endearing songs with different mechanics, though  a lot of them seem to become popular or connect with an audience due to the way they are still made to sound like the typical structures we expect. 

I always try to use different chords and progressions myself, though the vast majority of what you try with Diminished chords without proper resolves etc.... won`t make an actually good song that also connects to an audience unless it resembles the typical sounds and structure as much as possible.

Examples:

BORN - Alterna 

I think it`s a great song, though you clearly can`t get a good feel for the landscape of it, and the majority of people will just find it unsettling in terms of it`s changes. Same would go with certain Black Gene songs.

DOG - Matsuri

Love the tune and IIRC it was their most popular single. Uses a less typical timing but still resembles what we are used to, and people who are unaware of time signatures will not notice.

A9

Used a lot of different compositional styles, most of them sound enough like what listeners would expect and still be comfortable with.

FALILV

Still utilize a lot of `mainstream` elements, though go further off the deep end. I think their popularity with most fans is due to both being different, and delivering hooks, catches, and structural points we can enjoy under `light-listening`, in terms of a song that you can just put on and rock out to, instead of being lost in the rapid changes of structure and tempo, etc...

Gackt

Always did things differently (less so lately but that seems to be the direction he wants to go in), and while he had one of the more different sounds, he was also always one of the best at delivering the popular elements of music that made his songs huge hits.

NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST

Became a lot more popular when they started delivering the elements of songs that really resonated with a wider audience, they were never a band that went into uncharted territory, but once they started into the VK arena, they presented the straightforward audio and visual elements that fans still clamor for, and grew in popularity.

UNiTE

For me, this would be the greatest exception in my taste. They have made a large number of different songs (not always changing structure, but other elements), and that was part of what made me a fan, though their last two albums did not deliver this as much, and I have been disappointed. For other bands, this would not be as big of a deal, but they kind of developed that expectation in my mind, and let it down. So I think how you see the songs and artist`s relies greatly on what kind of expectations you have in the first place, and they are not always easy to change. So what does the listener expect?

Sign in to follow this