Sign in to follow this  
soradubboi

Best Drummer in your opinion

Neil Peart(Rush), Mike Portnoy(DT) and The Rev(Avenged Sevenfold).

As for Jap...the guy from Mouse on the keys is amazing. as for Visual, Naoki(Deathgaze), Sho(UnsraW) and Sujk(Deluhi).

Sujk form DELUHI. seeing him drum in revolver blast was crazy! and D=OUT"s drummer, he has really good drumming for their jazzy songs. and kimon! gawd I love the drumming in the verse of that song. Also Jin from ScReW when he get's the chance to do some crazy fast drumming. ex. anaphylaxis. In none japanese music I'd say. Escape the fates drummer. nothing mind blowing but truly enjoyable never the less.

Semi-necroing this (with links!):

Japanese:

Bobo (MIYAVI's drummer, I prefer his work with TK though)

Nero (MERRY, especially in those albums where Merry's "drop d abuse" is minimized - e.g. nu chemical, peep show, Under-world)

Sakura (ex-L'Arc~en~Ciel, this exact track has one of his best drumlines ever!)

Tetsu (D'erlanger, cannot think of good showcases for now)

And speaking of Shinya (Dir en grey): he's actually at his prime (at least in terms of making memorable, intriguing drumlines) when he's not attempting to do anything that's "too metal/proggy" (attempting to imitate Neil Peart @"Vinushka" is just...ouch) or "way too fast" (+ involves blasting, since he cannot blast anyway and that's given) for him - examples of his "prime work" as far as I am concerned:

Intriguing, very memorable mid-tempo-ish drumlines are his trump card tbqh

His ballad-y drumlines are also intriguing to the point of being superficially simple, yet very intricate in detail...dem random signature changes and pauses!

Non-Japanese:

"guilty pleasures" (aka folks that most people here would get anal about) spoilered:

David Silveria (ex-Korn) - their first two albums had the real groove on with David's special tendencies on mixing various drumming frills and tricks from urban and alt. scene genres :)

Dave Lombardo (Fantomas, Slayer) - Slayer stans will kill me for this but I think his drumlines are much more intriguing in Fantomas...hehe

I do respect certain "classic, renowned" drummers in rock music (Bonham, maybe Peart etc.) but I wasn't really that exposed to their special antics and whatnot...maybe one day though?

K from NoGoD is awesome too :)

Agree with these so hard. Also vouching for those old Eiji (FACT) mentions.

Tatsuya Amano (Crossfaith) is a little insane beast. Another drummer that's underrated af is Godri (SiM). I mean how many styles does he have to breeze through for you in one song?

VK drummers it's Satochi (MUCC), he's another one that seems to be solid in just about every style they attempt.

As far as outside Japan:  Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age), Morgan Rose (Sevendust), Matt Nicholls (Bring Me The Horizon)... I could go on for days, tbh. I may or may not have a soft spot for drummers. >>;

Yay resurrecting another old thread. :)

Let's show a little love for the blue haired wonder Hana of Gacharic Spin. She has to sing and play a very hyperactive style of music, which can't be easy.

And I will miss Aruto. Aldious liked to play real fast and without her steady time it would all fall apart. I have high hopes for the new girl given who her stepdad is.

As for the west, Neil Peart has been my idol since my teens (ain't saying how long that is). Also love the work of Martin Axe of Opeth and Witchery, Dave Lombardo formerly of Slayer (how did I not see him listed?), Brann Daillor of Mastodon, Gar Samuelson of Megadeth (RIP), and Henry Ranta, formly Soilwork. IMO Henry played on Soilwork's best albums.

ichiro - Lycaon is daddy, eve had his momments like in the end of but ichi was way better to me

I only care for double bass(ing) when it come to drums - whoever does that in a satisfying manner is my thus favourite.

It should fit into the overall composition of course...

Edit:

As for the west, Neil Peart has been my idol since my teens (ain't saying how long that is). Also love the work of Martin Axe of Opeth and Witchery, Dave Lombardo formerly of Slayer (how did I not see him listed?), Brann Daillor of Mastodon, Gar Samuelson of Megadeth (RIP), and Henry Ranta, formly Soilwork. IMO Henry played on Soilwork's best albums.

Ugh. Yes, that's a good list.

roji (f.k.a. logic), currently in XAA-XAA, is the best drummer I personally have seen. 
Admittedly it was more impressive watching him when he was in Belmosaic and when he was doing support for RevleZ, but he's amazing. I never got the chance to see GNz-WORLD so I'm not sure what his style was like in that band, though.

Sel'm's MANJ is also on my list.

Personally, I like to watch Syuma from Oneness and Rai from GIGAMOUS drum as well but I wouldn't claim they are the best drummer. lol. I just like their style of drumming. 

Sujk (ex.DELUHI)

Issei (D.I.D.)

Katsuma (coldrain)

Tsukasa (ex.D'espairsray)

Shinya (Dir en Grey)

Issei[2] (D.I.D.)

Manj(Sel'm)

Yuu(ex-NEGA)

Len (THE BLACK SWAN/ THE WHITE SWAN)

Tetsuya (MY BACTERIA HEAT ISLAND)

Kaiji (ex-REIGN)

Rui(ex-Grieva)

Junjii Tokai(Kiryu)

Takashi(ex-D.I.D.)

Hiro(ex-Halienju)

Saz(DEZERT)

Yukino(ex-Para:noir)

Zuuki(ex- -OZ-)

Yuu(ex-NEGA)

yay first yuu mention, i think he's really underrated.

i love yuu's drumming, its kind of messy at times but he puts life to nega's songs which are kind of stale otherwise

Not an expert on drums but I think: 

Nero - Merry
Sujk - Deluhi/FED

Hiroki - D

Toll - Buck-Tick

Asanao - Lynch
Ryo - Girugamesh.

Edit: I forgot about Twilightning, I think their drummer is awesome.

He's a monster behind the kit. Far from my favourite of course, but a beast anyway. Tight, fast and technical but not without feeling and groove when needed. Was very impressed with him live too.

Well, the drummer that really inspired me was Kami of Malice Mizer. Although Takashi Kashikura, Shinya from Dir en Grey and Levin from La'cryma Christi are also really inspirational to me.

- shinya : dir en grey

- nero : merry 

- sujk : deluhi

- go : kuroyume / sads

- abe cunningham : deftones

- joey jordison : slipknot

- danny carey : tool

- mathhew mcdonough : mudvayne

This thread needs more love

For  non japanese drummers

Brann daillor - Mastodon

Neil pert - Rush

Mat halpern - Periphery

Matt Gratska - Animals as Leaders

Abe Cunningham - Deftones

Mario Duplantier - Gojira

Morten - Raunchy

Mark Castillo - Emmure/ Between The Buried And Me

Gene Hoglan - Testament/Fear Factory/Dethklok/Strapping Young Lad

Simon Scott - Slowdive

Sam Loeffir - Chevelle

Anup Sastry - Intervals

Brett Powel - The Human Abstract

James Casell - Asking Alexandria

Brandon Sailor - Atreyu (Sings and plays drums at the same time)

Aaron Stechauner - Rings Of Saturn

Chris Adler - Lamb Of God

Lee stanton - Thy Art IS Murder

Jay Wienberg - Slipknot 

Shannon Lucas - The Black Dahlia Murder/All That Remains

Tamara - Conquer Divide

Jeff Williams -  RWBY Soundtracks 1 & 2

Marco Minnemann - The Aristocrats

John Freese - total drumwhore, guy is probably on at least 1 album you own

Alex Rudinger - The Faceless/The HAARP MAchine

Japanese

Kiyoshi Ijichi - Asian kung fu generation (Band would not be the same without him) 

Hiroshi "Bucchi" Sasabuchi - Plastic Tree/Tokyo Shoegazer

Gami - Blood Stain Child

Junichi Satoh - Galneryus

Koji Hasegawa - Abingdon boys school

yuyoyuppe - Don't know if he actually plays drums or programs them but his drum tone is sick

Whoever does the drums for Babymetal

Also Amano Tatsuya from Crossfaith

Probably forgetting a lot more from both sides, but that's all I can think of for now. 

If the two new songs from Aldious are any hint (I refuse to listen to "die for you" ever again), we need to add Marina to the list. I thought Aruto would be tough to replace but boy did they do it. Just goes to show what you can find when you take your time and don't rush, Yoshi.

Matt Greiner (August Burns Red)

Matt Halpern (Periphery)

Matt Gartska (Animals As Leaders)

Galneryus' drummer

Sign in to follow this