Sign in to follow this  
enchuu

the GazettE to play at Tokyo Dome + 2 New Singles

I don't see how you can compare Slayer to Gazette. Not really Biohazard, Pantera or Metallica either. But especially Slayer. If you listen to DIM you'll hear that Reita does a lot of different things here and there. The problem however, is that people find the shit he does to sound LAME, uninspired and crappy. THAT is the problem.

Slayer is a thrash metal band. They shouldn't show off. The bass shouldn't be heard in that way. Take Reign in Blood as an example. It's FAST, aggressive and a massive kick to your face. And that's what thrash metal is about. It's about being aggressive, aggressive and aggressive. The bass shouldn't be heard too much because it's just there to help creating a wall of sound. And Reign in Blood is seen as a HUGE classic album, as everyone knows. But what everyone doesn't know is that the bass is extremely sloppy. If you could hear the bass really well it could actually have ruined the album. Araya couldn't play that well and far from that fast. Not good enough at all. But the album would have been faster if the record company hadn't told them to slow down a little, because they thought the album was a little too short.

Anyway, you get the point. There's a huge different between Gazette and Slayer. Reita actually TRIES to do stuff on most songs. He tries, but he just fails at it. Slayer doesn't have a reason to do it. It wouldn't fit the music at all. But for Gazette it do fit the music for the bass to do different things, but Reita fails at doing anything itneresting. He just sounds as if he lost all itnerest in Gazette and don't even want to try anymore.

And that's my opinion.

Edit: Just to add one thing before someone uses it against me. Yes, you do find thrash metal bands that do some fancy stuff with the bass, without losing the aggression and punch (Early Sadus, anyone?). But very few bands do that. There's no need for it, even though Steve DiGiorgio does it in Sadus. But then again, very few people can do exactly what Steve DiGiorgio does. Amazing guy!

All of those bands bonsai mentioned would be so much more interesting if their bassist would bother to do something. Except Slipknot. They're so much shit that nothing could save them. And Toshiya is a great bassist and is almost constantly doing something different from the guitars, so Dir en grey doesn't even belong to that list.

Good basslines can be fit in pretty much every kind of music. There's a lot of Thrash metal bands whose bassists own (liek Watchtower), and they fit perfectly. Some are just not as talented as the others.

Ok, maybe that didn't come out as I intended it to.

I didn't want to state that Reita is a great bassist, not at all, and I certainly don't want to compare the actual songs of Slayer to GazettE songs, there is just one similar point, which you stated aswell.

"They shouldn't show off. The bass shouldn't be heard in that way... The bass shouldn't be heard too much because it's just there to help creating a wall of sound".

If you now take for example Headache Man from GazettE the basic idea behind it is in my opinion also this soundwall, nothing to show of in the guitars aswell, just raw punch.

There might be possibilities to do something fancy, but as you said "There's no need for it".

Also agreed on the point that when he tries something it pretty often fails badly, so after all I just wanted to respond to the -no fancy basslines equals bad music/band- statement from before, they might sometimes be a nice addition but theres not an actually need for it, like shown in Slayers Reign In Blood, or perhaps a little bit more GazettE-like, Refused-New Noise. EDIT: or Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name Of, with a bassplayer which I wouldn't exactly refer to as "bad"

Headache Man is one song. Ogre is another. Other than that there's plenty of space in the soundscape to do "fancy" things on DIM. I can see why he's not doing anything special in HM and Ogre. There's no need for it. They're heavy and the he's actually doing something right in those songs. But it's 10 other songs or something like that were he could try to do something interesting in. And in the type of music Gazette is making, there IS need of some interesting bass lines. What would Kagrra have been if Nao just followed the guitars all the time? What would Cage have been without the nice basslines? In this type of rock, the bass is an important instrument you should take use of. At least in my ears.

DIM would be a whole lot better with some decent and interesting bass lines in most of the songs.

"There's no need for it".

Yes, there is. Ok, just my opinion, but it's really hard for me to respect musicians who do half-arsed basslines. And in this kind of music as Gazette, those are definitely needed. And honestly, some of Slayer could use better basslines too. Not saying that lacking basslines turns a good song bad, it's just that good basslines makes it a hell of a lot better.

And I wouldn't say Reita fails completely. 泣ヶ原 and 白?優鬱 has some pretty sweet basswork.

...Slayer is a thrash metal band. They shouldn't show off. The bass shouldn't be heard in that way. Take Reign in Blood as an example. It's FAST, aggressive and a massive kick to your face. And that's what thrash metal is about. It's about being aggressive, aggressive and aggressive. The bass shouldn't be heard too much because it's just there to help creating a wall of sound. And Reign in Blood is seen as a HUGE classic album, as everyone knows. But what everyone doesn't know is that the bass is extremely sloppy. If you could hear the bass really well it could actually have ruined the album. Araya couldn't play that well and far from that fast. Not good enough at all. But the album would have been faster if the record company hadn't told them to slow down a little, because they thought the album was a little too short....!

Sorry, but no. Where does them being a thrash metal band make it so they don't have to show off. There are many thrash metal bands with amazing bass players.

Now, to retaliate a bit, look at Iron Maiden, they're a classic New Wave of British Heavy Metal band, and Steve Harris, their bassist, rarely does anything out of the ordinary on bass. Most of his bass lines consist of supporting the guitars and emphasizing the drums, with occasional fill here and there.

Trust me, I've been listening to this music since I was born, I know what I'm talking about.

Reita is great bassist, and, you have to realize that some songs just don't benefit from a funky/technical bass line. ReD is kind of a straight forward song, there's not much I can see Reita really implementing in there.

First of: there'sa HUGE difference between heavy metal and thrash.

Second of: Iron Maiden sucks, Steve Harris write a lot of their songs ON his bass and they are therefore bass-driven songs where the guitars are added later, which kinda makes it the guitarists fault, not Harris'.

Third of: Do you see me only talking about Red? Or Shiver? Meh. I've talked about the WHOLE DIM. And I can mention NIL as well. No interesting bass lines there either. And not on Stacked Rubbish. THere you've got three full albums without a interesting bass lines. That's actually impressive.

Reita can be the best bassist in the world for all that I care, he still is unable to write decent bass lines nowdays.

And because people rarely understand it: this is MY opinion, just to let some of you know.

First of: there'sa HUGE difference between heavy metal and thrash.

Second of: Iron Maiden sucks, Steve Harris write a lot of their songs ON his bass and they are therefore bass-driven songs where the guitars are added later, which kinda makes it the guitarists fault, not Harris'.

Third of: Do you see me only talking about Red? Or Shiver? Meh. I've talked about the WHOLE DIM. And I can mention NIL as well. No interesting bass lines there either. And not on Stacked Rubbish. THere you've got three full albums without a interesting bass lines. That's actually impressive.

Reita can be the best bassist in the world for all that I care, he still is unable to write decent bass lines nowdays.

And because people rarely understand it: this is MY opinion, just to let some of you know.

Firstly: There's a HUGE difference between off and of. Learn it.

Secondly: Everyone knows Iron Maiden blows.

Thirdly: You really think GazettE fans are smart enough to be able to tell a good bass line from a bad one? Listen up dude. The GazettE isn't about music or good music. It's about lookin' good and getting girls to buy your album. Just like the whole of visual kei. Which is, I know, disgusting. I'm sure you are probably aware how mindless the GazettE fanbase is. They don't care. As long as the GazettE keep looking good and putting out "edgy" and "catchy" songs people will fall at their feet and call them gods.

And Reita is obviously NOT the best bassist in the world because he CAN'T write decent bass lines.

And because I feel like I should address everything you've posted: Just because it's "your" opinion doesn't mean you have to keep yackin' about it. Who gives a shit if it's your opinion? To me that is just making an excuse so you don't have to feel bad if you offend someone with what you say. Maybe if you put some effort into not caring what people think about you and your opinions you wouldn't have to point out that your opinions are your opinions.

Thirdly: You really think GazettE fans are smart enough to be able to tell a good bass line from a bad one? Listen up dude. The GazettE isn't about music or good music. It's about lookin' good and getting girls to buy your album. Just like the whole of visual kei. Which is, I know, disgusting. I'm sure you are probably aware how mindless the GazettE fanbase is. They don't care. As long as the GazettE keep looking good and putting out "edgy" and "catchy" songs people will fall at their feet and call them gods.

And Reita is obviously NOT the best bassist in the world because he CAN'T write decent bass lines.

wow, now this has turned into a fullscale flame-war..

i just feel that i have to comment on this statement above, essentially it is of course true that vk is a whole lot about looks (it in the damned name) and a whole lot of fans would buy the cd's no matter what is on it, but thats no different in other musical genres.

black metal is all about having the longest hair, the darkest tattoos, the meanest nails in your sweatiest leathercostumes, and being to most evil motherf**ker on planet earth to get those slightly less evil young guys to buy the records.

electro/indie is about being the hippest hipster, with c64 or atari sounds, rayban-wayfarer sunglasses, green starwars-t-shirt, chucks, vegeterian food blabla etc.

that being said doesn't mean that by following these genre-trends the music behind it has to be meaningless.

Gazette has always, besides looking good, put out some interesting stuff and changed their musical style often, which obviously not everybody likes, but if the music wouldn't matter to them, they wouldn't have to do that.

they wouldn't need to explore musical styles with 5[shit]ers, anagare and antipop if it didn't matter to do something interesting, they wouldn't have had to create those roundabout 50sec intermission-tracks for the DIM-album

(some might say, thats just because they where to stupid to come up with a proper song instead, but i would argue that creating 4 different mini tracks is a whole lot more difficult than doing one random song (like shiver, or red that is)), and without them DIM wouldn't be the album it is now, but just some tracks together on a cd, those intermissions are what makes this album special for me, besides some pretty cool tracks (13stairs, Headache Man and Ogre are on heavy rotation on my ipod at the moment, including their "intros", ..yeah i'm more into the heavy part)

although you ranted about giving a shit about opinion, obviously here is a lot of opinion involved.

we've had Iron Maiden Blows vs. Iron Maiden Sucks (great choice of words), Slayer-Bass is cool vs. Slayer-Bass is poor, understandibly some saying a bassist should do something cool and interesting vs. me who says, the bass is just there to provide the bottom end of a song instead of irritating with show-off-fills/lines etc.

so maybe to get back to the original topic, does anybody have information about the other two tracks on the red-single? because red itself was pretty dissapointing (in my opinion that is :D )

i guess the other tracks are remain silent until RED released. Like the usual.

I am interested with how well their Dome tickets selling though, seems pretty calm doesn't it? I mean no news at all? :P

edit:

seriously, i guess beside races and religion, if there's any other subjects that could ignite a WW III, it could be musical preferences. Imagine when people will send bazooka to one another just because of heatened discussions about genres. Not worth it at all.

ILU.

Buuuuuuuuuullshit. That's the most common argument about VK. "oh boohoo they only care about their looks baww". And that's the crappiest argument too. I was gonna make a long post, but bonsai already said pretty much all I wanted to say. All genres, I repeat, every fucking genre in the world ARE about looks. You really think VK bands look pretty because they want money? Hah. Do you really think most of them are really earning shit? No. It would be so much easier to make money if they looked normal. Anyone who thinks VK is about money, is an idiot. Sure, it is for the labels, obviously, but the musicians aren't really getting anything out of it. Except a shitload of fun. Labels market it for teenage girls, but it's not stopping bands from doing excellent music. Gazette is a proof of that. Despite the fact that PSC is a total fangirl-driven hellhole and half of Gazette's stuff is utter crap, the rest of their stuff is one of the greatest music that has come from the land Nippon. Pointless bashing of VK is just as retarded as fapping to pretty transvestites.

The last part of your post is true, but who the hell cares? Every genre has their fangirls who only care about the looks or style. Like anyone actually likes the "music" most rappers do today.

And because I feel like I should address everything you've posted: Just because it's "your" opinion doesn't mean you have to keep yackin' about it. Who gives a shit if it's your opinion? To me that is just making an excuse so you don't have to feel bad if you offend someone with what you say. Maybe if you put some effort into not caring what people think about you and your opinions you wouldn't have to point out that your opinions are your opinions.

EDIT: Oshi- got you confused with the other guy. :x Either way, the last thing in this post stands.

You're saying this to me when you literally just contradicted yourself entirely!

You go around saying that ,"Everyone knows Iron Maiden blows" (which they don't), then you say that "Just because it's 'your' opinion doesn't mean you have to keep yackin' about it. Who gives a shit if it's your opinion? To me that is just making an excuse so you don't have to feel bad if you offend someone with what you say."

Honestly. You've been arguing with me on how Reita has terrible basslines and you've yet to realize that you've been "yackin'" the same bullshit throughout every post you've made within this topic. Don't tell people not to do things if you're going to go and do them.

Point is, Reita is not terrible bassist, his basslines are good enough to carry the song's weight, and also, Visual Kei music isn't all just about the looks. Because you've said that, you completely missed the point.

EDIT: Oshi- got you confused with the other guy. :x Either way, the last thing in this post stands.

You're saying this to me when you literally just contradicted yourself entirely!

You go around saying that ,"Everyone knows Iron Maiden blows" (which they don't), then you say that "Just because it's 'your' opinion doesn't mean you have to keep yackin' about it. Who gives a shit if it's your opinion? To me that is just making an excuse so you don't have to feel bad if you offend someone with what you say."

Honestly. You've been arguing with me on how Reita has terrible basslines and you've yet to realize that you've been "yackin'" the same bullshit throughout every post you've made within this topic. Don't tell people not to do things if you're going to go and do them.

Point is, Reita is not terrible bassist, his basslines are good enough to carry the song's weight, and also, Visual Kei music isn't all just about the looks. Because you've said that, you completely missed the point.

LOL. Not the other guy. And the thing about opinions, I was pointing out how ludicrous it is to end every argument someone makes with "but that's my opinion." Why? Because it's redundant. Notice how you realize my post, even if you confused me with some one else, was my opinion but I did not state that it was my opinion. It's just my opinion. Why state that it is when it's so obvious?

LOL. Bakteeri, you may argue that VK isn't all about looks because all other genres are also about looks but VK is about looks to the highest extent. They care more about being fashionable than Lady Gaga. Not that I'm complaining. I'm 100% convinced that VK is the most vain and look driven genre of music in existence. I mean look at how these boys are basically trannies. And what's so wrong with fapping to pretty transvestites? You some kind of prejudiced bitch? I mean, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't fap to a tranny no matter how pretty it was. (Like that Ruki fellow.) I like dick and muscle. But I don't think people that are into that shit are retarded. It's just what gets them off. And I'm not bawwing that VK music is pointless and I really could care less about how any of them fuckin' looked. Cause I still listen to Vk and I'm here aren't I? But what I'm getting at, is that it's pointless to bitch about bad VK music when the musicians are so ostentatious.

But what I'm getting at, is that it's pointless to bitch about bad VK music when the musicians are so ostentatious.

and what i'm getting at is, beeing ostentatious has nothing to do with making good or bad music, it might attract hordes of fangirls but doesn't change the music behind it, so it surely isn't pointless to bitchabout/discuss the music, or if there is a band which is only looks (yeah, there are lots) to say so (but i would vehemently object against that statement in case of the gazette).

LOL. Bakteeri, you may argue that VK isn't all about looks because all other genres are also about looks but VK is about looks to the highest extent. They care more about being fashionable than Lady Gaga. Not that I'm complaining. I'm 100% convinced that VK is the most vain and look driven genre of music in existence. I mean look at how these boys are basically trannies. And what's so wrong with fapping to pretty transvestites? You some kind of prejudiced bitch? I mean, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't fap to a tranny no matter how pretty it was. (Like that Ruki fellow.) I like dick and muscle. But I don't think people that are into that shit are retarded. It's just what gets them off. And I'm not bawwing that VK music is pointless and I really could care less about how any of them fuckin' looked. Cause I still listen to Vk and I'm here aren't I? But what I'm getting at, is that it's pointless to bitch about bad VK music when the musicians are so ostentatious.

Yeah, fapping to trannies is totally wrong. You got me there, buddy.

You can say VK is all about the looks, but it doesn't make it true. Who the hell cares whether you put on a dress or a pinguinmask, (you know, black metulz make-up) it doesn't affect the music. At all. Like, none. Inb4 VK is not a music genre. (which it basicly is not, but everyone seems to talk like it is, so yeah)

And why are you bitching then if you think Gazette is bad?

You can say VK is all about the looks, but it doesn't make it true. Who the hell cares whether you put on a dress or a pinguinmask, (you know, black metulz make-up) it doesn't affect the music. At all. Like, none.

That might have applied at some point in time, sorta maybe. But I would like to hear why, if it's about the music as you say, 99% of neo-VK sounds the same. Okay there may be some slight variation with melodies, but essentially it's all the same, the Gazette included. They might throw in some swing and some disco and who knows what in order to sound "original" to the ears of teens who've only heard J-pop before, but it's not like mixing styles isn't an essential part of VK since the early 90's. Nothing original about it. Even the vocalists sound the same. They have this stomach-turning wannabe tenor thing going on with random growling thrown in. I don't know why they think it sounds good, but to each their own I guess. And most importantly, it sounds very different from other rock music from the same contry. So don't tell me it's the same with all Black Metal sounding the same or rap or country. You need to compare it to the same genre sans make-up, and let me tell you there's a huge difference. Not talking about major label pop-rock here, though that's probably the closest thing to VK just without distortion and amateurish genre mixing.

Oh and I've also been wondering about the logic behind thinking a band can go from some grand art to total crap and back and alternate between the two without you wondering one bit about the reasons behind it. If a band has talent then they won't suddenly make total shit and then something great the next moment. They may lose their freshness over time, but if they have something to say with their music it tends to show. So do you never consider that what you think is oh-so amazing is just something borrowed from a few other places and put together by a talented producer? Or does that not matter one bit as long as you enjoy it?

^ sorry, gais.

You need armors and a stake when you entered this topic as of ... 3-4 pages ago lol

lol I think I should leave then XD

Long quote is long.

99% is pretty exxaggerating. And I fail to see how that's even a point. Most of every genre sounds pretty much the same, with slight variations. What I meant by "looks doesn't affect music" was, that even though they pay attention to their looks, it doesn't affect how the songs will turn out. Quality-wise. PS. 99% of all music in the past few decades is NOT original in any way. I don't understand why people complain when VK isn't original. Why the hell should they invent something completely new when no one else is doing it either?

And it makes perfect sense that sometimes band does awesome music and sometimes they don't. I'm a musician myself, and I can tell you, that the quality of composing changes drasticly without any real reason. For example, this one song I composed over a year ago, is fucking awesome. I still love it. Some songs I wrote few months ago, were okay at first, but now I think they're pretty bad. There's nothing weird about it. A great band could easily do "total shit" after awesome music. Though, if the band really was good before, it doesn't really turn shit, you just think it's shit, because it's not your cup of tea. In reality, those "shit" songs could be musically much better than the earlier stuff. Taste of music changes. It also applies for bands. It's not usually some "evil label" tampering with their music, even though that happens too.

Long quote is long.

that, lol

also it is complete and utter nonsense and contradicts itself various times [edit], so i don't bother commenting anymore

*puts armor and stake back in the closet* ^^

guess we'll have to wait for the single-release for this tread to clean up a little bit :)

Long quote is long.

that, lol

also it is complete and utter nonsense and contradicts itself various times [edit], so i don't bother commenting anymore

*puts armor and stake back in the closet* ^^

guess we'll have to wait for the single-release for this tread to clean up a little bit :)

Nope, we gotta wait a while because this thread also concerns the other single, too. The one after RED, I mean.

Did not like Vermin too much either. It sounds closer to Disorder and the older stuff than anything they've done after Disorder. But Ruki sounds like shit here, the quiet part with clean guitar and bass is totally ruined by Reita's failure bassline and the song lacks the quality they used to have on Disorder and back. Way better than RED, all the songs on Shiver and Before I Decay though. No doubt about that.

So it's not their worst song but not something that I will keep listening too either. I guess 5 times is enough.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the intro it GARBAGE! It's just horrible!

Sign in to follow this