The general Metal discussion thread

b7b7e6c5-06b0-4da9-ba50-bd6a84e099e5_zps

Cover art for the upcoming Tarot-release. Not sure if it's an EP or an album, but I am hoping for an album. I've mentioned these guys a couple of times on the forum now, and I'm just getting more and more excited about the band with each listen. Retro, semi-progressive and epic heavy rock with obvious Uriah Heep and Rainbow influences, with a touch of Pagan Altar on the side. I love the cover art and it just fits the epic and mystic music these guys are making. Looking forward to this!

Previous EPs can be found here: https://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-watchers-dream

Some more to look forward to:

483159.jpg
Alucarda - Raw Howls

Alucarda plays filthy doom/punk heavily influenced by bands such as Satan's Satyrs and Electric Wizard, with lyrics dealing with exploitation and biker films, horror and occult themes. Their debut demo, D.F.F.L, released back in 2013 was fantastic and this is something to look forward to. This is gonna fuck you up!

Great song! I consider the debut of Satan's Satyrs to be a masterpiece of filthy and sleazy doom metal punk, and Alucard is just up there with it. The demo is just as good, and the new songs are amazing as well.

It's early, but I am sure that Raw Howls will be on my top 5 at the end of the year. Fantastic album! Raw, filthy, fuzzy and disgusting doom metal punk at its very best. The perfect soundtrack to a 70's biker film or some filthy exploitation films in general. Brilliant!

b7b7e6c5-06b0-4da9-ba50-bd6a84e099e5_zps

Cover art for the upcoming Tarot-release. Not sure if it's an EP or an album, but I am hoping for an album. I've mentioned these guys a couple of times on the forum now, and I'm just getting more and more excited about the band with each listen. Retro, semi-progressive and epic heavy rock with obvious Uriah Heep and Rainbow influences, with a touch of Pagan Altar on the side. I love the cover art and it just fits the epic and mystic music these guys are making. Looking forward to this!

Previous EPs can be found here: https://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-watchers-dream

Update:

Tarot - The Warrior's Spell CD is now available for pre-order, this includes:

- Two brand new tracks: 'The Warrior's Spell' and 'Street Lamps Calling'

- All three EPs released in 2014, including a new remastered version of Dying Daze

- Poster of the killer artwork by Waning Gibbous Art

- Hand made lyric booklet

$10.00 AUD inc. shipping within Australia

$13.00 AUD inc. shipping rest of world

$10.00 AUD inc. shipping rest of world for CD without jewel case (this does not include the poster and lyric booklet)

For information on how to order, please mail [email protected]

It's cool to get everything on one CD, as well as two new songs, but I'm hoping for a vinyl release of this as well. Will probably buy the CD as well, though.

New Archgoat leaked. Listen to one of the songs here, and find the rest yourself. That song is fantastic, and the obvious homage to Beherit is beautifully done. I mean, that has to be a homage to Beherit, right? It would've gone straight into the masterpiece that is Drawing Down the Moon. Amazing.

10931229_10152662262453207_3566423451793

VULTURE INDUSTRIES + COSTIN CHIOREANU: “THE BABYLON SPIRAL SHOW”
For the first time avantgarde metallers Vulture Industries and graphic artist Costin Chioreanu will come together on stage. The Babylon Spiral combines the atmosphere and aesthetics of the Expressionist Cinema of 1920's Germany with the intensity and eeriness of a Vulture Industries concert. Using specially designed stage props, actively manipulated by the artist throughout the show, the concert will draw the audience on a journey through time.

The collaboration between Vulture Industries and Costin Chioreanu grew from a mutual admiration between the two sets of artists. The first stop on the journey happened on the third VI album "The Tower", and was followed by the animation video "Lost Among Liars". We are now approaching the summit of our collaboration and you are invited to ascend with us.

Oh shit, this is gonna be good.

483886.jpg
Glaciation - Sur les Falaises de Marbre

1994 is fantastic, så I'm really looking forward to this. Black metal with Neige, Winterhalter, Indria Saray, RMS Hreidmarr and a couple of more guys. What an insane line-up this band has, especially now that both Hreidmarr and Indria has joined the team as well. Mmmmmh! I can't wait!

Some metal albums I recently dl'd and gonna check out in the next couple of days~

- Fördärv - Between the Eternities (seems like decent Swedish black metvlz)

- Hooded Menace - Gloom Immemorial (horror-themed death/doom, should be nice)

- The Crown - Death Is Not Dead (always wanted to check 'em out, now is the time I guess)

- Desolate Shrine - The Heart of the Netherworld (dunno them but sounds promising)

Anyone already familiar with these bands/albums? What's your opinion?

Hooded Menace is fantastic. Brilliant death/doom in the vein of Coffins, Winter and Autopsy. The band is very inspired by The Blind Dead film-series, wich is great. Gloom Immemorial is a great compilation, but I'd recommend taking alook at one of their full-lenghts as well. They're best as a full-lenght band. Dark, heavy and crushing death/doom.

The Crown used to be great, but I rarely listen to aything post-Deathrace King. It's not bad, it's not just all that great either IMO. They went in a more modern direction following the likes of The Haunted and Dimension Zero. But the two albums they released as Crown of Thorns and the two first albums of The Crown are brilliant melodic death metal IMO.

So my friend is pretty new to jrock and would like a variety of recommendations of bands to check out. she likes a few songs by miyavi and hyde.

oops.. wrong thread...

Any love for Taiwanese metal?

--

Audio production quality could be a little better imo. a lot of the instruments just feel 'choked' (and their not flat either - All the mids have been dialed out)

My knowledge of taiwanese metal is pretty limited, but I've heard a few bands. But there's only two that I listen to every now and then:

Chthonic, who have become pretty known over the years. Started out as a symphonic/melodic black metal band in the vein of Cradle of Filth, but have since then turned into a melodic death metal band. Their discography is a bit up and down, but at their best they're fantastic. 9th Empyrean, Takasago Army and Bu-Tik are all great. Relentless Recurrence, Seediq Bale and Mirror of Retribution all feature some very good music as well, but they're so poorly produced. Way too polished.

Inferno Requiem only released one album during its 12 years of existence, but that album is really good. Great, gloomy and atmopsheric black metal with some odd drumming and lots of hate. A bit poorly produced, but not in a way that ruins the atmosphere of the album. Very enjoyable if you're into raw black metal.

yeah, I could hear a lot of CoF in them. The male vocalists voice/vocals kinda remind Bradley Fafara from Devildriver.

Ive listened to quite a few Taiwanese metal bands - One that seems to come up on my playlist quite alot is Frosty Eve who are literally the Chinese version of Children of Bodom. Watching Chthonics - Defenders of Bú-Tik Palace on YT and tbh i think they've tried to go beyond their traditional symphonic/black metal and delve into folk metal which isnt too bad as i do love me some Onmyo-Za

yeah, I could hear a lot of CoF in them. The male vocalists voice/vocals kinda remind Bradley Fafara from Devildriver.

What? Bradley Fafara? I'll admit I don't hear any Fafara in the vocals at all.

Watching Chthonics - Defenders of Bú-Tik Palace on YT and tbh i think they've tried to go beyond their traditional symphonic/black metal and delve into folk metal which isnt too bad as i do love me some Onmyo-Za

The band adapted the folky touch pretty early on, but when the band changed from symphonic/melodic black metal to melodic death metal with Takasago Army they let the folk instruments play a bigger part in their music.

What? Bradley Fafara? I'll admit I don't hear any Fafara in the vocals at all.

The band adapted the folky touch pretty early on, but when the band changed from symphonic/melodic black metal to melodic death metal with Takasago Army they let the folk instruments play a bigger part in their music.

sounded like Bradley in Defenders of Bú-Tik Palace video. Maybe its just me

I will have to admit that I don't hear that at all. But different ears hear different.

Out of nowhere I suddenly got a Desaster kick. The first five albums are magnificent.

It's been a long time since I recommended anything here, so I'll throw out a few demo recommendations this time around. All these demos ae rather new, and all have been a part of my top 10 when the year finished. In other words, these are fantastic demos. There's been some hype around all these bands in the underground, so you might have heard about them.

376142.jpg

Beastiality - Ancient Bell Chimes

Beastiality plays dark, morbid and dirty black/thrash/death metal in the vein of Bathory, Nihilist, Hellhammer and Nifelheim. It's not origianl, but there's more than enough character for everyone to recognize them and everything from the songwriting to the vocals and production is top notch. Brilliant demo!

351952.jpg

Vampire - Vampire

Crushing death/thrash from sweden in the vein of Bloodbath (Serbia), old Sepultura and Possessed. It's dark, evil and great. Raw and evil. Brilliant demo!#2

The ban released their debut album last year, but for me it was a huge disappointment. The songs ae great, but the album was way too polished.

393623.jpg

Possession - His Best Deceit

Raw black/death metal in the vein of Bathory, Blasphemy, Sarcofago and old Sepultura (ontains a Sepultura cover too). Grim, agressive and crushing - Possession will possess you!

The band released a great 7" last year too, and will release something new this year.

311874.jpg

Necromancy - Hanged in Hässelby

Necromancy plays pure, 80's influenced occult black metal in the vein of Bathory, Mortuary Drape and Mercyful Fate. This is a compilation of the bands first two demos, Rites of Necromancy and Magic Alchemy Occultism, and both are top notch. A must for fans of 80's black metal.

https://soundcloud.com/unborn-prod/necromancy-swe-midnight-magic

https://soundcloud.com/unborn-prod/necromancy-swe-the-alchemist

This is what I would spontaneously recommend to check out in the realms of extreme metal (as bear mostly posts of), just my share of the cake:

Hour of Penance - Paradogma

paradogma_b.jpg

A great mixture of brutal death metal and epic melodies, gregorian chorals and subtle symphonies. This is when I got notice of this italian behemoth (not literally), it's a band that deserves much more credit for their work!

Songs to recommend: Thousands of Christs, Incestuous Dynasty of Worms, Spiritual Ravishment

Behemoth - The Satanist

album32910.jpg

Their latest release, and by far their strongest. More BM elements than in their last few albums, very natural production, atmosphere and total seriousness. If the music video to "Blow your trumpets, Gabriel" hasn't amazed you enough, this record definitely will. And in all honesty I could say that this is what they could end their carreer with. It just doesn't get better than that.

Song recommendations: BYTG, Ora pro Nobis Lucifer, Amen, In The Absence Ov Light, O Father O Satan O Sun

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated

Tombofthemutilated.jpeg

Disgusting cover, even more disgusting song titles and a production that goes far beyond its time. This classic from 1993 is Cannibal Corpse in a nutshell. Fast, heavy chugs with lots of pace changes, hammer blasts, great grunting vocals and a versatile, well audible bass.

Recommendations: Hammer Smashed Face, I Cum Blood, The Cryptic Stench, Post-Mortal Ejaculation, Entrails Ripped From A Virgin's Cunt

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony

Agony_%28Fleshgod_Apocalypse_album%29.jp

The right way of combining extreme metal with symphonic elements. Nuff said.

Recommendations: The Inquisition, The Deceit, The Violation, The Forsaking

Immolation - Unholy Cult

Immolation-unholycult.jpg

Dark Death Metal featured with epic solos, raw production and an absolutely evil atmosphere. This is as close as death metal can get to black metal, without actually being black metal. Despite being around for over 20 years now, Immolation is not common knowledge in the death metal scene, which is sad.

Recommendations: Unholy Cult, Of Martyrs And Men, Bring Them Down, A Kingdom Divided

Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest

Nile_Those_Whom_The_Gods_Detest.jpg

Great technical, fast death metal with aegyptian-inspired harmonies.

Recommendations: Kafir!, Those Whom The Gods Detest, The Eye Of Ra

Opeth - EVERY DAMN ALBUM!!!!

(even the newest one, Pale Communion ..and maybe not Heritage)

I don't think Opeth needs to be introduced to many heavy metal fans, but still recommending this band is necessary at all costs. Great progressive death metal with an average song span of ~9 minutes and a fuckton of great ideas, genre jumps and just pure epicness.

Vader - De Profundis

916.jpg?3701

Back in the times when their thrash metal influences were still very present. As every other album basically, this one is just a great example of death/thrash metal with probably the most iconic growling voice of all time.

Recommendations: Silent Empire, Blood Of Kingu, Incarnation, Sothis, Of Moon And Dream And Me

The reason I post most about extreme metal is because that's what the other people around here seems to care about, as well as folk metal. I could post a lot about other genres too as I am very much into other genres, but I see no reason to post lots of heavy, doom, power or whatever-bands if I am the only one seems to care.

And Immolation is a damn big band for being death metal. Yeah, they're not among the biggest bands around, but they're up there with other legendary bands such as Autopsy, Pestilence, Grave, Asphyx, Unleashed, Malevolent Creation, Edge of Sanity, Monstrosity and so on. So yeah, they're actually a very common name in the death metal scene, and they have a status as both a legendary death metal band and a cult band.

And I don't get your comment on them being close to black metal in any way at all. Pure dark, putrid and blasphemous death metal with close to no resemblence to black metal at all IMO, just like Incantation whom they share much of their sound with. The band is pure death metal in all departments to my ears..

SOme cool updates for anyone into good metal.

Here you can hear a 5 min outtake from one of the new songs from the upcoming Negura Bunget album. It sounds like Negura Bunget, an it sounds damn good.

10888857_841957225846671_364012542292264

Macabre Omen - Gods of War - At War

Ten years after their magnificent debut album, The Ancient Returns (6/6!), and 21 years after their formation and first demo, Macabre Omen returns with their second full lenght in 2015, and I am very much looking forward to it. Recommended for fans of Bathory, greek black metal (Rotting Christ, Kawir, Varathron, Nocternity) and Hades.

Some awesome news for fans of old Behemoth aka the best Behemoth:

484200.jpg

Thy Winter Kingdom / From the Pagan Vastlands...

BEHEMOTH - "Thy Winter Kingdom" 12" GATEFOLD LP

Recorded at rehershal at June 1993.
This unofficiall cassete was distributed in underground only in few copies.
On the side B other versions of the tracks from this same reh.
Released on 12" black vinyl ,gatefold jacket with laquer.
Limited to 566 copies.

SIDE "A"
1. THY WINTER KINGDOM (official reh tape version)
2. THE DANCE OF THE PAGAN FLAMES (official reh tape version)
3. MOONSPELL RITES (official reh tape version)

SIDE "B"
4. THY WINTER KINGDOM (other version from this same reh)
5. THE DANCE OF THE PAGAN FLAMES (other version from this same reh)
6. MOONSPELL RITES (other version from this same reh)
7. THE DANCE OF THE PAGAN FLAMES (other version from this same reh)

Recorded at undergrund occultum on June 1993

BEHEMOTH -"adv.From The Pagan Vastlands..." 12" GATEFOLD LP

Never before released !!!

Recorded at one night at studio "7" in September 1993 as a pre-production of the official demo.

This unofficiall cassete was distributed in underground only in few copies.

On the side B MAYHEM cover !!!

Released on 12" black vinyl ,gatefold jacket with laquer.

SIDE "A"

1. THY WINTER KINGDOM

2. THE DANCE OF THE PAGAN FLAMES

3. MOONSPELL RITES

4. BLACKVISIONS OF THE ALMIGHTY

SIDE "B"

5. PURE EVIL AND HATE

6. THE OAK BETWEEN THE SNOWS

7. DEATHCRUSH (MAYHEM cover)

Recorded at "7" STUDIO

In the Night of September 24.09.1993

This will be released on double CD and two single LPs. I'll ty to get my hand on both LPs. Sounds awesome as fuck!

Been spinning some o' dat old Venom stuff, not too bad! Only through the first three albums but better than I remembered/expected. xD

Also, tried out more of Warhammer, pretty cool stuff! (Hellhammery to the max indeed XD)