The general Metal discussion thread

What other bands did you see? I've seen a lot of people complainign about the awful sound at the Mgla gig, but most of them aso say that the two Clandestine Blaze covers with Mikko Aspa on vocals makes ut for it. I'd kill to experience that live. I also saw Goat Semen as one of the booking for next years festival. Crazy booking. Fantastic band.

Also, people seem to be very impressed with the new Mortuary Drape. Their first album in 10 years, and peope compare it to Secret Sudaria. That sounds awesome. Can't wait!

Going to see Mayhem again today. Probably 10 yeas since I last saw them. Checked their recent setlists and 11 out of 15 songs are pre-Chimera stuff. Hoping for good sound, especially for the drums. But knowing Hellhammer I am sure he's death-triggered them as he always does.

Thought Mayhem gave us a good gig. The setlist was great, with 10/14 or 11/15 songs being pre-Chimera stuff. Hellhammer is Hellhammer and the drum sound could've been much better, but it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Not very good, but not annoyingly bad either. Whore, Illuminate Eliminate and Psywar didn't work at all live, but apart from that they did a good job.

Necrobutcher seemed to have an absolute blast on stage. Seemed to really enjoy himself and Teloch seemed to enjoy himself, but you couldn't see his face as he's joined the latest tend in black metal, following Mgla and Svartidaudi as far as his image goes. Which is a bit of a problem to be honest. Attila being the only one with corpseish paint works well because he's the vocalist, but Teloch wearing his stuff looks a bit out of place considering what the rest of the band looks like. He did look awesome, though, but perhaps a BIT cheaper looking than mentioned Mgla and Svartidaudi.

And Charles Hedger looked like he was hating it. Just stood there and did his job, and that was it. Didn't look like he was into it at all.

But the highlight oh the show was Attila. He looked great and his theatricals were awesome on the night. He looked like a relaxed, black metallic version of a cybergoth dancer with his arm movements, with both a skull and inverted cross in hand. A lot will hate this, but I thought it worked really well, even though it shouldn't.

cyber-dance-o.gif

That was Attila like, just without the leg movements. It was so corny, yet so fucking cool. No idea how he pulled it off.

10659277_761345783953740_775855417448853

1403156_761345787287073_3965559856469351

^ Sounds like fun! :D First (and to this day, last) time I saw Mayhem they played at some hole in the wall club here, and everyone else was so tall (and there were so many people) that I practically couldn't see a thing and the sound wasn't the best either. xDDD They have a cool live presence tho, that's for sure... at least from what I could gather.

My last gig was 2 days ago, saw Cannibal Corpse for the 2nd time. I couldn't get there for the first opening band (Aeon -- I didn't mind), only the second one, which was Revocation. I liked their last album and some of their other tunes but they were a bit weird live. I mean, they weren't bad, just kind of all over the place in terms of sound/style and kinda lame in contrast to the awesome br00tality that followed. Cannibal Corpse was of course excellent, even more so than last time I saw them! The mixing was unusually good too, very punchy and powerful without being obnoxiously loud and overdriven. Also, bonus points for the setlist: the bulk of it was different than what they played here last time. All in all, a cool show.

Yeah, it was very fun. Was fun 8-10 years ago as well. I think it was right after the release of Chimera. Heh.

Cool, that looked good. Shame about Corpsegrinder's invitation to a pit though. Fuck pits, fuck ninja dansing and fuck moshing.

^ LOL yeah... pits looks like fun from outside but never could get into them (literally and figuratively speaking too). xD

Underground randomness from around here: Mörbid Carnage and Ahriman frontman Lambert Lédeczy has a new song up on Soundcloud from each band.

https://soundcloud.com/lambert-l-deczy/bred-m-morv-lgy

Ahriman is one of Hungary's oldest (kinda) still-active black metal bands, very melodic sounding and a bit atmospheric thanks to synths. This one's from a long-awaited upcoming album "Bőrkoporsó" (Skincoffin / Leathercoffin?), without a release date yet.

https://soundcloud.com/lambert-l-deczy/01cursed-village

And here's a fresh upload from his more active band, the old-school thrashy Mörbid Carnage. First track from soon-to-be-released new EP "The Golden Sin".

I must say, Mörbid's sound and songs are closer to my heart but I'm digging the Ahriman track more.

Marduk's upcoming album "Frontschwein" (release: January 19) tracklist and cover:

01 - Frontschwein
02 - The Blond Beast
03 - Afrika
04 - Wartheland
05 - Rope of Regret
06 - Between the Wolf-Packs
07 - Nebelwerfer
08 - Falaise: Cauldron of Blood
09 - Doomsday Elite
10 - 503
11 - Thousand-Fold Death

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10710520_1028048487221059_5768197016989142034_n.jpg?oh=4e0cdca0c9869dfd2cc645f281dd107d&oe=551FC890&__gda__=1427913664_e2c6547076d76fe6c23db69c1e22ce9d

Not sure about putting the tracklist itself on the front cover, but otherwise looks neat enough.

In other news, I've been listening to some Varathron these days, pretty kickass stuff. Greek black metal with a great melodic sound. For example, the first track of their latest album:

New Marduk song as well: https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/marduk-rope-of-regret

As for Varathron, I'm a massive fan myself and thought this new one was the best since their 1995 classic Walpurgisnacht. But they've got a long way before they reach the magnificence of His Majesty at the Swamp and Walpurgisnacht which is not only among the best greek black metal albums ever, which in all honestly says hella lot, but two of the best black metal albums EVER. The compilation Genesis of the Unaltered Evil are also worth a purchase. Fantastic comp with demos, and EP and the split with Necromantia. But the whole split is recommended. The Necromantia side is fantastic as well.

And I can never talk bout Varathron without mentioning Hail, which sounds like a mix of Varathron's His Majesty at the Swamp and Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon. Such a great album.

I've been recommending some albums in the past, and now I thought I'd go in a slightly different direction and recommend several albums by one band. Or, just recommend the band. This is a band that it has taken me years and years to get into, but a few moths ago I tried for the X-th time and suddenly I realised how brilliant this band is. Or, was. Along with Summoning, Abigor is one of the big black metal bands from Austria, Summoning-member Silenus was a part of the band in the period 94-98 as their vocalist. Since their formation in 93 the band has released 5 demos, 1 split (with Summoning and a few other bands), 5 EPs, 1 single and 10 fullenghts, where one is a new interpretation of an old album.

Their three first albums are absolutely brilliant IMO. Original and unlike every other band in the genre. One of those bands you'll recognize during a few seconds of the first song. With the release of Supreme Immortal Art they went in a more complex and symphonic direction more inspired by the likes of Emperor and geting more and more experimental with each album. I really like Supreme Immortal Art and Channeling the Quintessence of Satan with their chaotic avant-garde touch, but with Satanized (A Journey Through Cosmic Infinity) they started losing me and with the next album, Fractal Possession, I was actually completely lost. I haven't really tried the albums after, but I plan too.

Fractal Possession was the first album I checked out by the band back in 2007, and I disliked it then. I don't dislike it as much in 2014, but I am still no fan of it. Tried it again only a couple of days ago actually. With this they went in a direction that sounds inspired by newer Dødheimsgard and Deathspell Omega. While there's plenty of great riffs and melodies and awesome structures and whatnot, it just seem as if they created and album that was too straightforward for their liking and just added weird parts here and there to make it seem more avant-garde and unique. It just doesn't work for me.

But if you're a fan of black metal, this band is highly recommended, both old and new. But especially their three first albums which are all 10/10 IMO. Unique band! Perfect mix of semi-symphonic, melodic and raw black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fORKhwNqo3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBclUtEb8M8

New Peste Noire video for their main song on the split with Diapsiquir:

The video is as white trashed as expected, but I really dig the song. This is the direction I had hoped the band would take after L'ordure..., so I am very happy about this.

So stoked, gonna go see Dying Fetus and Goatwhore tomorrow night! They seem to be the main bands, while Fallujah and Malevolence will be opening. Interesting old-school / new-school combo. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of any of the bands, just a casual listener but I'm most looking forward to Fallujah (too bad they will play the shortest set) and of course DF. I'm not too well-acquainted with all of Goatwhore's stuff but they sound pretty kickass based on their last album, so that should be some cool headbangin' live material too. I literally only listened to Malevolence today, kinda nothing-special deathcore or hardcore with beatdown elements (a bit like if Hatebreed played some more technical tunes). Should be nice overall, in any case!

Cool. Looking forward to hearing your impression of Goatwhore. They're plaing at next years Inferno Festival. Might take a look unless I'm tired as fuck at that point and need to refill some beer.

As for me, I am going to my brother right before christmas (18th, and going home on the 22nd) and me, him, and a friend of us are going to Oslo to stay with a friend for a couple of days. Seeing Aura Noir again on the 19th and Morbid Angel for the first time on the 20th. They're doing some Covenant stuff, so probably playing it from A to Å. Looking forward to both, despite not being a huge post-Blessed are the Sick fan.

New Peste Noire video for their main song on the split with Diapsiquir:

The video is as white trashed as expected, but I really dig the song. This is the direction I had hoped the band would take after L'ordure..., so I am very happy about this.

I didn't know they made a music video for "Dans Ma Nuit".. In any case, the video sticks very well with the song. Good stuff. 

By the way, I will take advantage that you're talking about K.P.N and say that "L'Ordure à l'état Pur" and their eponym album are totally awesome (yet quite different), though I only listened once to the eponym. "L'Ordure à l'état Pur" blew me away, and especially "J’avais rêvé du Nord" which is lyrically and musically awesome. A great masterpiece.

Well, I hope you guys will enjoy seeing these bands you mentioned as much as I'll enjoy my exams, yeah fml  !  :rock:

. "L'Ordure à l'état Pur" blew me away, and especially "J’avais rêvé du Nord" which is lyrically and musically awesome. A great masterpiece.

lol racist 

Good song and album though. Quite a lot of people dislike it but it's the PN album I find myself most often returning to along with the third. 

I thought their self-titled was good as well, but I thought it was a step in the wrong direction. Or, a huge step back. They just took bits of all their previous albums and made it into a whle new album. But I had hoped they'd go in the nutty direction they started with Ballade... and took even further with L'Ordure... Instead they calmed down a bit and made a less crazy album. This however, is crazy and what I had hoped for after L'Ordure...

The video is very Lugubrumesque IMO. Lugubrum is another recommended band. Weird, experimental black metal. The first 5-6 albums are exceptional. Boersk blek betle! aka farmer black metal, which is a fitting description. They even have lyrics about midgets. They're that fucking cool.

Putrid feed
from the forest trough
stubby hands claw
damp dead foilage

Torch - light unmasks
distorted mugs
grinding molars
Midgets of evil

Buried delicacy
slobbering hybrids
sick the tainted marrow
lick the carrion

I could also add that my favourite Peste Noire album is still the debut album. Medieval black metal that still stands as one of the most unique black metal albums of the 2000's, and Dueil angoisseus as one of the best black metal songs ever. Fucking Neige, man. Love him or hate him, fact is that grim vocals doesn't get more inhuman, ugly and disgusting than his, something he's showcased more than once.

lol racist 

Good song and album though. Quite a lot of people dislike it but it's the PN album I find myself most often returning to along with the third. 

DAMN, YOU GOT ME ALL FUCKED UP! :(

Yeah that's right, I saw that many people dislike it. I personally discovered the band with "L'Ordure à l'état Pur" and still have 2 or 3 release from them to check out, but it's totally legit to think that said album is really superb. 

I could also add that my favourite Peste Noire album is still the debut album. Medieval black metal that still stands as one of the most unique black metal albums of the 2000's, and Dueil angoisseus as one of the best black metal songs ever. Fucking Neige, man. Love him or hate him, fact is that grim vocals doesn't get more inhuman, ugly and disgusting than his, something he's showcased more than once.

"La Sanie des siècles" is indeed a magnificent album. At first listen "Le mort joyeux" is the track that especially caught my attention the most but "Dueil angoisseus" is without any deny a fantastic song. Those vocals tho... So intense.

I was actually lucky enough to see peste Noire back in 07-08 or something, back when Neige, Winterhalter and Indria were all a part of the band. Fantastic concert.

And talking about the rest of Peste Nore back in 07-08, more people should check out Glaciation's 1994. One of the best album of 2014. The line up for that album was Neige, Winterhalter, Valnoir (ex-The CNK) and a few others I am not familiar with. Nowadays the band consists of Neige, Winterhalter, Indria Saray and RMS Hreidmarr (ex-Anorexia Nervosa), as well as the few I am not too familiar with. The artwork for the album is perhaps the worst ever, but the album is a solid 9+/10. Really looking forward to a new release with RMS Hreidmarr on the team. I've really missed his vocals after the disbandment of Anorexia Nervosa.

Anyway, the best part of 1994 is the vocal performances. Jesus.

Yesterday's gig was pretty nice, albeit a bit annoying at parts. First of all, I was excited to see Fallujah and, sadly, I already knew they were only gonna play a short 20-25 mins but to top it off, the sound quality was totally garbage too, lol. So unbalanced and loudly distorted (especially for this kind of highly technical style). Anyway, it wasn't bad but it would've been better to actually hear more of the music in a better quality. Next came Malevolence with their kinda "out of place" brand of brutal hardcore-metal-thing, but they were surprisingly decent. The crowd got into it as well, some minor moshing, circle pits and crowdsurfing here and there. The sound got a tiiiny bit better, but it still was kinda weird and uneven (lol @ one of the guitars practically sounding like a very quiet electric razor).

I walked a bit forward for the first "main band" of the night, Goatwhore, and thankfully they didn't disappoint (and the sound quality became just perfect by this time too). They came out in their usual "totally metal" gear (spikes and leather and stuff) and from the first chord the crowd was practically eating out of their hands. Their killer black/death/thrash mixture really came through in this small-club live setting. When the vocalist dude roared "Fucked by Sataaan" and the band began hammering away that was prolly one of the most metal moments this year for me, haha. XD Excellent performance, and the crowd was going crazy accordingly. Afterwards I managed to buy a sweet Goatwhore T-shirt at the merch table from the vocalist whom I talked to for a little bit, nice dude. He said they should be back in April with Skeletonwitch -- now that's something I def won't miss out on! Anyway, a while later Dying Fetus came on who I watched from the back... well, there wasn't much to see cuz most of the audience was tall enough to block the view, lol. But whatever, the sound and the energy was cool. I'm always amazed how can just 3 people perform such crushing and technical music so perfectly live. All in all, it was a pretty fine evening, despite the annoying technical difficulties in the first half.

Also, getting this Fallujah tee made my day. XD

Didn't know that Behemoth released an EP recently this year, titled Xiądz

Available only on vinyl through their official webstore. Available in gold, black and gold/black splatter vinyl limited to 2000 copies world wide.

Nieboga+Czarny+Xidz+BehemothXIADZ.png

Tracklist:

1. Nieboga Czarny Xiądz

Good stuff overall, as always. Nieboga Czarny Xiądz and Towards The Dying Sun We March are really good songs... Only listened it once but I difentely should give this EP several listens. Concerning Moonspell Rites I prefer the version of And the Forests Dream Eternally, which sounds more black-ish. But still this new version is so good, updated in accordance to their new sound. I dig it.

That sounds cool, Jiggy. I actually knew Goatwhore are touring with Skeletonwitch. Both are playing at Inferno Festival next year. Superb line up so far.

Behemoth shouldn't touch old Behemoth. Leave The Return of the Northern Moon, ...from the Pagan Vastlands, Sventevith (Storming Near the Baltic), And the Forests Dream Eternally alone, Grom and Satanica alone. Just stop wasting your time on re-recordings. That goes for all GOOD bands. Use your time more wisely. Write a new song instead. Masturbare. Eat some chocolate. Slap your bitch. Do anything beside re-recording classics. Jesus fucking christ.

Didn't know that Behemoth released an EP recently this year, titled Xiądz

Nieboga+Czarny+Xidz+BehemothXIADZ.png

Tracklist:

1. Nieboga Czarny Xiądz

Good stuff overall, as always. Nieboga Czarny Xiądz and Towards The Dying Sun We March are really good songs... Only listened it once but I difentely should give this EP several listens. Concerning Moonspell Rites I prefer the version of And the Forests Dream Eternally, which sounds more black-ish. But still this new version is so good, updated in accordance to their new sound. I dig it.

I was really hoping for a CD release of this.

^ It's available now on CD as exclusive, limited to 2000 items. So if you definitely wanna grab it, hurry up! → Link.

Behemoth shouldn't touch old Behemoth. Leave The Return of the Northern Moon, ...from the Pagan Vastlands, Sventevith (Storming Near the Baltic), And the Forests Dream Eternally alone, Grom and Satanica alone. Just stop wasting your time on re-recordings. That goes for all GOOD bands. Use your time more wisely. Write a new song instead. Masturbare. Eat some chocolate. Slap your bitch. Do anything beside re-recording classics. Jesus fucking christ.

xDD. Couldn't agree more, but hey, at least they didn't killed the song. I mean, it doesn't sound horrible or something.

But it's still a waste of time. If you can improve on a song, just leave it alone.

By the way, have I ever told you guys about how fantastic the Québecian black metal scene is? It's been absolutely brilliant for the past ten years, and like many of the scenes around the world in the late 80's to the mid 90's, they have their own sound. It's so easy to hear that these bands are Québecian.