Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Shiina Ringo / Tokyo Jihen

I'm surprised there wasn't a topic already!!! Anyway, Shiina Ringo is an undoubtedly talented singer/musician known for her distinct voice and music that seamlessly incorporates countless genres into a creative, yet highly accessible mix. Since around 2003, she has also participated in the band, Tokyo Jihen. The band is known for a more jazz-influenced rock sound.

I know there's plenty of fans here so:

-Discuss the awesomeness that is Shiina Ringo (椎名林檎) and Tokyo Jihen (東京事変).

-Post some of your favorite songs!

-List your favorite albums!

My Shiina Ringo favorites:

おだいじに

aB7_67QaNrk

gKHY82VbEFM

ギャンブル

acWlsI4ticg

都合のいい身体

NbyhwyecEq0

That kinda sums up my taste for her. I personally LOVE the extravagant jazz-orchestra stuff on Heisei Fuuzoku, so that's probably my favorite album. The mega-popular KZK and the not-as-popular Sanmon Gossip (minus the rapping!) are tied for second place. I thoroughly enjoy her more rock-oriented first and second albums too, but they haven't hit me as hard as the other three.

I'm still getting into Tokyo Jihen so I'm not sure what my favorites are, yet. Here's some songs that I really like so far:

遭難

cUALx0uqa1U

能動的三分間

61-PymUKtBM

絶体絶命

5tCTzt_apKY

空が鳴っている

YzO5LrG73gE

女の子は誰でも (greatest PV ever, btw)

sCVRE6UygOs

I may be killed for this but I don't particularly like Shiina's voice and I'm not a huge fan of her solo stuff save a few songs. That said I am a fan of Tokyo Jihen, I guess her voice just clicks better for me there but mostly I love the music. They were also one of the first bands I was really into when I was starting out in Japanese music so they do hold a special place there even if I don't listen to them as much as I used to. My favorite album is still probably Kyouiku and song probably Genjitsu wo warau but that song probably mostly because it's attached to certain memories from back then.

got so much love for this lady :)

so many fave songs. But can never get enough with Gamble.

I think that's one fantastic song, that one can play over and over without getting bored.

I like the cover version of it too, sounds quite different but cool.

edit:

nothing much to say about Tokyo Jihen, but they're all God.

Jazz is skillz.

Not a big fan of her solo work but I instantly fell in love with Tokyo Jihen with the release of their first album.

Their later work got weird (what the hell is up with Sports?) but it's still good!

They supposedly have a new single to be released soon but I think it got delayed because of the earthquake or one of the members got arrested. Something.

Utter craziness, Furik.

Sports has got to be my favorite Tokyo Jihen album! The only thing I found "weird" about the album was the intro song Ikiru, because of that acapella-ish intro. But after about two listens, I realized that it was wonderful, haha.

But it's cool that her work (solo and TJ) is so varied that it can attract all kinds of fans.

And yeah, their new single was delayed because the drummer had a drunken fury and broke into someone's house or something...

Glad to hear Erin! Any particular favorite songs yet?

Also, I must revise my previous above statement. Sports isn't my favorite TJ album anymore, though I still really enjoy it.

Probably a tie between Adult and the new album.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I loved TJ first three albums so much but I am not really feeling Sports and the new album. At all.

It's a shame because they are such a talented and amazing band but I guess they don't have that slow retro-jazz feeling the first two albums had.

And the third album, while swaying away from that, had OSCA, so. It's instantly love.

E2kaTsMxUHQ

Watch the new PV before it gets blocked!

What does everyone think of the song? Seems that there's mixed feelings in the last.fm shoutbox.

I personally enjoy it (harp action, woo!) but I always love super-orchestra-Ringo.
It is a bit too short though.

oooh, i love it! :Db

Very Shiina Ringo.

It's sounded very dreamy, romantic,

and like an ending song from some old school

samurai/japanese folklore movie remakes

(say Yojimbo or something)

Absolutely superb! I just can't get over her voice, it's so perfect and I love the inclusion of the harp in this song. It kinda sounded somewhat like a fairy tale and the vibe from the video definitely helps that.

Now that TJ disbanded, is there any kind of possibility that Shiina will/would pull out a new solo release this year? Not that I am worshiping her non-TJ repertoire (I'm a newbie fan btw), I just want some new, hot stuff - Color Bars ain't enough :(

Opinions on Mell...I mean, Shijou no Jinsei? (pre-order ver. is out on jps, JIC)

It was kind of 'cute' to see her trying to go all ZCS on us, lol (spoiler alert: no jazz)

Let's "enliven" this thread by moving on with OP's question: what are your (all-time) favorites from Shiina/TJ?

If I have to name a "couple":

solo:

Gamble (HF version)

Tsumi to Batsu

Yokushitsu (all versions <3)

Stem (all versions, especially Electric Mole ver. <3)

Souretsu

Tsugou no ii Karada

Koko de Kiss Shite

Tsumiki Asobi

Sid to Hakuchumu (single version)

Karisome Otome (all versions <3)

Meisai (KZK ver.)

etc.

Tokyo Jihen:

Sounan (ofc)

Omatsuri Sawagi

Yume no Ato (Kyoiku ver.)

Himitsu

Shuraba (single ver.)

Blackout

OSCA + Kuroneko-do (that combo)

Killer Tune

Ikiru + Kimaru

Kinjirareta Asobi

etc.

^ the full song is out on Jps and it sorta reminds me of "Mellow"...except in "SUNNY"-er (HA!) format.

Speaking of which, she had a new, interesting live arrangement of "Marunouchi" out (shout-out to Uki and HZM!!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWj4_QFlWdE

+ she strolled around LA during Grammy after-parties and whatnot, lol

edit: anyone looking forward to Ringo Expo '14 DVD? You better expect some neat bangers, and let this preview (for instance) convince you to look forward , daaaamn :D

Shiina news/"rumors" (for now) ed. XX:

Kronekodow's mole (who predicted the release dates for Shiina's Toutaikai, Reimport and Sunny) informs that Shiina will have a new song out...as an anime movie tie-in. More info will be available soon...

>Keep an eye on baidu/other possible Shiina stanbases.

edit:

BOOM! Teaser for a new Ringo track... (Ringo Expo 14 version mentioned below is linked @previous comment  :P)

info:

最果てが見たい (Saihate ga Mitai, roughly "I want to see to the furthest ends"), is being used as the theme song for the upcoming anime movie "百日紅 (sarusuberi, or Crape Myrtle) ~Miss HOKUSAI~".

Ringo originally wrote and produced the song for Sayuri Ishikawa's X-Cross II Album, and performed it herself at Ringo Expo '14.

Ringo's version will be released on Wednesday, May 13. It looks like the song will only be released digitally, and be available on all the usual online music stores. 

There will be an exclusive Tower Records limited edition released as well. It will contain a card with a download code for the song and a towel. Both the card and towel will have the cover art for the song on them.

http://www.kronekodow.com/gaiko/150410saihate.html

http://tower.jp/item/3860752

Sign in to follow this