Champ213

Any old school bands?

Thanks for the suggestions!  I really like everything Perez suggested, haha.  Lecca and Ryohei Yamamoto also stuck out to me.  Especially Lecca, I've never heard jpop that sounded like that before.  It's really cool.

Can anyone recommend me more bands like Harvest and Rikugo? Something that's heavy/dark with some traditional flavor?

I strongly recommend Oto-oni (sadly disbanded tho).

...or if you want something super-heavy (but less traditional-flavored, just "in spirit"/lyrical matter):

For Jpop i suggest something from my old favs , like Mai Kuraki or Hana*Hana (they had some of the most beautiful pop ballads ever) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiffbwALZcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBBPBOzTESc

Also older songs of Utada Hikaru her new stuff just does not work for me anymore .

And maybe something from Rina Aiuchi older songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXeox9skKNs

I strongly recommend Oto-oni (sadly disbanded tho).

...or if you want something super-heavy (but less traditional-flavored, just "in spirit"/lyrical matter):

Thanks! I think I may have heard of Oto-Oni before at some point. I remember their name vaguely, but I'll definitely look into them again.

Gotsu Totsu Kotsu is definitely interesting. I do like the heavy stuff so I appreciate you including them. Good stuff! Thanks!

Can anyone recommend me more bands like Harvest and Rikugo? Something that's heavy/dark with some traditional flavor?

Yeah , i think i have one more thinkg you might want to check out , they called ningen isu and it will depend on the cd but they some of them will fit what your looking for , they include a variety of styles like doom metal , heavy metal , stoner rock , hard rock , psychodelic rock and progressive rock . For the more traditional folkish stuff check older albums for more refined but less folkish stuff their newest stuff . Also they released a CD this year , i dont see anything from them posted here so if you gonna like them i can post some stuff from them .

Older stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1ndqXbdUY

New Stuff from newest album

Also maybe older songs from HeavensDust? They songs are heavy and Dark with Samurai-ish elemets made by koto , wadaiko and shakuhachi . Similar in this regard to Wagakki Band , but Wagakki are not too dark and not really heavy . HeavensDust on the other hand can be even very brutal . Shin is good with both clean and agressive shouty vocals .

I'm digging the newer stuff from 人間椅子. If you felt like uploading maybe the latest album that'd be pretty rad. :) I'd like your post but I've hit my quota for the day. OTL

I'm digging the newer stuff from 人間椅子. If you felt like uploading maybe the latest album that'd be pretty rad. :) I'd like your post but I've hit my quota for the day. OTL

WOW what ? There is a quota for likes ? Did not know this :P .

They new stuff is great but my favs are the older albums , especially the one based on Edogawa Ranpo works . I'll try and upload their new album for ya later on so check the general section of the download forums .

looking for simple catchy bounce beats like this (feel free to ignore the beginning, middle, and end). no singing or constant vocals please.

I'm looking for more bands like (let me construct a quick list of what I already found in 'my genre', so to speak):

The 3rd Birthday

DELACROIX

MEJIBRAY

NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST

Avelcain

BIOSPHIA

THE BLACK SWAN

DEZERT

DIAURA

Liv'ert

Lustknot

Paranoid≠circuS

Re:Vellion

RedruM

RevleZ

カルディア

Crimson Shiva

REIGN

十神

アルルカン

己龍

Can I call it neo-visual kei? The newer bands with an actual visual kei image, preferably with somewhat of a darker side which is pretty obvious from this list I think. Feel free to add (with last.fm pages would be nice).

I'm looking for more bands like (let me construct a quick list of what I already found in 'my genre', so to speak):

The 3rd Birthday

DELACROIX

MEJIBRAY

NOCTURNAL BLOODLUST

Avelcain

BIOSPHIA

THE BLACK SWAN

DEZERT

DIAURA

Liv'ert

Lustknot

Paranoid≠circuS

Re:Vellion

RedruM

RevleZ

カルディア

己龍

Can I call it neo-visual kei? The newer bands with an actual visual kei image, preferably with somewhat of a darker side which is pretty obvious from this list I think. Feel free to add (with last.fm pages would be nice).

Some I could recommend are  アルルカン(Arlequin) [last.fm], コドモドラゴン(Codomo Dragon) [last.fm], REIGN [last.fm], Crimson Shiva [last.fm], エルム(Elm) [last.fm], and maybe Scarlet Valse [last.fm]? It's a popular subgenre so there have to be loads more.

Edit: I had originally linked just to youtube for preview purposes... I missed the request for last.fm links. So I'm adding them now.

I have been absent for a long long time and decided to get back into the Japanese music scene a bit, maybe some people still remember me :D My favourites used to be (and still are to an extent) D'espairsRay, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, girugamesh, Plastic Tree, the studs, envy, Mono, mutyumu and many more, even though I tend to prefer the either more modern or melancholic sounding bands. Also still interested in experimental stuff and Post-Rock, so anything new I should definitely check out? 

Are there any VK bands with vocalists who have raspy voice? I'm tired of these innocent-sounding guys. I'd prefer new-ish bands.

I have been absent for a long long time and decided to get back into the Japanese music scene a bit, maybe some people still remember me :D My favourites used to be (and still are to an extent) D'espairsRay, 9GOATS BLACK OUT, girugamesh, Plastic Tree, the studs, envy, Mono, mutyumu and many more, even though I tend to prefer the either more modern or melancholic sounding bands. Also still interested in experimental stuff and Post-Rock, so anything new I should definitely check out? 

i'm gonna go ahead and recommend you THE NOVEMBERS, as I think they meet several of your requirements. They're a "modern" band, but they also take a few cues from the past. Their sound as of late is melancholy and dark, but also beautiful and emotional. Stylistically there's a mix of indie-rock, shoegaze, and some vague post-rock and emo elements. I suggest you try their last 3 albums: "Rhapsody in beauty", "zeitgeist", and "To (melt into)"!

Here are some samples, but honestly, you should just check out the albums!

Are there any VK bands with vocalists who have raspy voice? I'm tired of these innocent-sounding guys. I'd prefer new-ish bands.

Not a new band, and they have a different singer now, but maybe Yuma from el-Ethnic Legist-?

He's singing for IRON ATTACK! now.

Not a new band, and they have a different singer now, but maybe Yuma from el-Ethnic Legist-?

Thanks! That was pretty good.

i'm gonna go ahead and recommend you THE NOVEMBERS, as I think they meet several of your requirements. They're a "modern" band, but they also take a few cues from the past. Their sound as of late is melancholy and dark, but also beautiful and emotional. Stylistically there's a mix of indie-rock, shoegaze, and some vague post-rock and emo elements. I suggest you try their last 3 albums: "Rhapsody in beauty", "zeitgeist", and "To (melt into)"!

Here are some samples, but honestly, you should just check out the albums!

Woah, really good stuff, thanks for the recommendation, gonna get their most recent albums!

I've been experimenting with glitch/IDM as of late. I've already tried out Ametsub, mergrim, Geskia!, and cokiyu. I'm particularly fond of the former two so anything else along those lines would be really appreciated.

I've been experimenting with glitch/IDM as of late. I've already tried out Ametsub, mergrim, Geskia!, and cokiyu. I'm particularly fond of the former two so anything else along those lines would be really appreciated.

m-koda, Kashiwa Daisuke, agraph, Fugenn & The White Elephants, Daisuke Tanabe, lycoriscoris, Himuro (himuro yoshiteru), moskitoo, cuushe, piana, serph/Reliq, go-qualia, AOKI Takamasa, Fourcolor/filfla/fonica, fragment, riow arai, rei harakami

man...there's a lot more of this stuff in Japan, but those are some of the big ones for me. Also, anything on the "PROGRESSIVE FOrM" label is worth checking out!

Which mucc albums should I start out with? I only listened to a few songs. I listened to their "Ware, arubeki Basho" single and loved both songs so if they have anything else like that I'd like to hear more. 

Edit: thanks for moving my post I didn't realize there was a thread here already my fault.

Homura Uta (2002), Zekuu (2003) and Kuchiki no Tou (2004) are all worth a listen. Their pre-Homura Uta stuff seems to be widely liked too, but I'm not too familiar with those.