Neon

Last movie you saw.

Back on my "people trapped in a room solving mysteries/fighting to the death" thriller craving, so I watched "House of 9". (2005) Kind of boring, tbh. Wasn't expecting it to be so British or for Peter Capaldi to be in it, but otherwise it was pretty middle of the road.

Also watched "The Killing Room" (2009), which was slightly better but still didn't stand out much. Was super excited when I saw Clea DuVall was in it, since I've had an awkward crush on her since "But I'm a Cheerleader", but her role is so tiny that it just left me even more disappointed.

Edited by violetchain

The Goonies - I hadn't seen this in 10+ years so I was really excited to see this gem of an adventure film again. Did it live up to my memories? Absolutely! The script is great, the dialogue is super, the direction is vvery good and the entire adventure is excellent. Fantastic film, that played a huge part in my early teens.

goonies.jpg

Buried - Super intense thriller that perfectly showcases Rodrigo Cortés' talent as a director and Ryan Reynolds' as an actor. Ryan Reynolds plays Paul Conroy, a truck driver in Iraq that wakes up buried in a coffin. It's well-directed with Cortés using some nice lighting and smart angles, and the overall feeling is really fucking claustrophobic. Ryan Reynolds are on screen for 90 out of the 95 minutes and he does brilliantly. I totally buy his performance, and he's god damned intense throuuhout this film. And the ending totally gave me a boner btw.

A great Hitchcockian film that would make Hitchcock proud.

Buried+(2010)+BRRip+500mb+4.jpg

The Other Guys - Silly buddie-cop action comedy starring Will Ferrell and a surprisingly good Mark Wahlberg who hits the spot over and over again. If you've seen a handful of buddy cop films this'll offer nothing new, but if you've enjoy a few of them buddy cop flicks there's no reason why you shouldn't check this out. It's awfully witty throughout, and it kept me smiling/laughing for its full 116 minutes.

Best part of the film is probably the begining with Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, though. It doesn't take long until the mocking of modern actioners begin and it was hilarious.

346109-the-other-guys.jpg

Ip Man 3 - I worship the altar of Donnie Yen, I consider the first Ip Man a modern classic and the second one a superb sequel, so my expectations were quite obviously very high towards this film. What can I say other than the fact that Wilson Yip delivers again? Ip Man 3 sees Wilson Yip move a lot further into the world of drama, toning down the intensity of the previous films. I think it works, despite its flaws. The plot isn't as tightly knited together as it should've for a drama like this, but Donnie Yen is superb as usual, the action scene breathtaking and it's well-directed.

My biggest complain would be Mike Tyson and his character Frank. First off, Mike Tyson isn't an actor and it shows. He can't act for shit. Second off, his character is weak-as-fuck and should've gotten a lot more screen time, because as it stands now you just don't get to know anything about him. I do like the fact that Wilson Yip gives a nod to Tyson's previous life as a boxer, though. If I say 3 minutes you'll know what I mean. A nice little details right there.

Anyway, the weakest in the trilogy but still a fantastic film. It's meant as the last film in the trilogy, but Donnie Yen has hinted towards yet another movie and I sure as fuck hope it's happening.

ip-man-3-movie-review.jpg

The Survivalist - With a budget of around £1 debutant Stephen Fingleton gives us his view of the post-apocalyptic world. I haven't seen a post-apocalyptic film as stripped down and bleak as this  since The Road. A lot of the film it set within a small cabin and can basically be said to be a chamber play, slow, intimate, destructive and bleak. Great atmosphere, a small but very impressive cast, and superbly directed.

This won't get much attention around, but in a few years it'll be seen as a hidden gem among the ones who's seen it.

Survive-Web-2.jpg

Take Shelter - I read the synopsis and it sounded interesting so I watched this with a friend a while ago. I have mixed feelings about the movie, it didn't play out as I expected, which is boh a good and bad thing in this case, I guess. But one thing's for sure - the cast did a great job (Michael Shannon, Shea Whigham, Jessica Chastain etc.) 6/10

I have finally managed to watch Cloverfield Lane and I thank Mind of the Sun for the advice, since I enjoyed it a lot... but it needs a sequel imho!

Forsaken (2015)

A traditional western movie revolving around the two main characters, Donald and Kiefer Sutherland, who both did an astonishing work. I appreciated a lot this movie, probably because of its simple and emotive plot, remindful of the glorious westerns of 40's/50's/60's.

9.5/10 for sure!

The Big Short

This movie takes a very boring subject matter and turns it into a very engaging flick that's based on actual events and ultimately, making you angry at the end of the flick. Initially, I wasn't interested in this movie until one of my co-workers told me how good it was. The basic synopsis is financial market crash from the housing mortgage back in 2005. Due to all the financial terminology, I had a very difficult time trying to retain the film's full understanding but at the same time, it wasn't hard to follow in a basic story sense. The whole cast did an incredible acting job. Steve Carell stood out to me the most because he plays a character who's righteously angry at all those corrupt & greedy corps and wallstreet, the type of person I would immediately root for. He's a like an angry & vulgar version of Bernie Sanders. I personally prefer The Big Short over The Wolf of Wallstreet because of the educational/intellectual value it holds. I highly recommend this movie to everyone.  It will make you think twice before buying a house.

Edited by Flame-X

Star Trek Beyond

Here are my brief thoughts. I can't tell which one was worse, this movie or the previous. There's too many plot progression without any sort of break or explanation/build up leading up to certain points. The villain's motivation made no sense and just when things were about to get interesting in the 3rd act, it falls short with a very predictable pattern of lazy script writing. I've heard many opinions saying it's better than Into Dumbness, but after seeing this, I was really disappointed.

Independence Day: Resurgence

I saw this with a friend. Before we went inside the theater I think we were both going to say that we had heard the movie sucked but we decided against it lol. Anyways it was better than I thought. The aliens seemed really cliche though. I never watched the first one so I didn't understand any of the references. I wonder if they will wait another 20 years before releasing a sequel.

On 31/7/2016 at 7:07 AM, Flame-X said:

Star Trek Beyond

Here are my brief thoughts. I can't tell which one was worse, this movie or the previous. There's too many plot progression without any sort of break or explanation/build up leading up to certain points. The villain's motivation made no sense and just when things were about to get interesting in the 3rd act, it falls short with a very predictable pattern of lazy script writing. I've heard many opinions saying it's better than Into Dumbness, but after seeing this, I was really disappointed.

I have seen it too and I cannot understand this thing that they want to justify this new timeline with these movies, where the original one was already good as it is... watching it out of the main context it is an overall movie, with some hasting moments and dull conclusions (the homages to the past were the only thing I really appreciated and also the way they used for destroying that swarm xD)

6.5/10 for me

Suicide Squad, and it wasn't that good. Very basic and cliché scenario, some characters are really useless (Diablo, Slipknot, Boomerang) and too much Will Smith! Harley Quinn was good tho, the Joker was fine but kinda useless as well they cuted too much of his scenes.

Overall I will give this movie 12/20, not so bad but not so good either. 

I was going to watch F&F: Tokyo Drift yesterday, but when I typed in "TOKYO", I saw they made a live movie adaptation of one of my favorite Manga as a kid "Tokyo Tribes", so I watched that.

The manga was supposed to depict an underground scene of gangs, with a subtle hint of J-Urban into the mix. Let's just say, they overdid it lol.

Movie was so cheesy, almost embarrassing to watch at times.

Fell asleep at about 2/3, but will try and watch it tonight.

Edited by YuyoDrift

Hardcore Henry: Holy shit this was fun as hell, I absolutely had a blast watching this, probably one of the best action movies I've seen this year along with Dredd. Sort of felt like watching an LP of a Mirror's Edge-inspired game with super HD graphics lol... I can totally see how this isn't for everyone, people who are quick to get motion sickness should probably keep away from this one cuz they'll absolutely have a bad time, but anyone else looking for a fun thrill ride should definitely give it a go. You can tell everyone involved had a great time.

The Last Boyscout (1991): a good action flick directed by the deceased Tony Scott, starring Bruce Willis (<3) and Damon Wayans, with gags and a decent plot. 8/10

And rewatched The Truman Show (with a spectacular Jim Carrey) and World War Z (good post-apocalyptic movie which will have a sequel on 2018, with Brad Pitt returning and David FIncher directing!)

Kill Bill

You have to hand it to Quentin Tarantino. His overall involvement in film stands out. Kill bill is another example of his diverse subject matter and unique storytelling.

7.5/10

I finally got around to watch Adjust Your Tracking: The Untold Story of the VHS Collector today, one of two documentaries about VHS and their collectors that was released back in 2013, with the other one being the excellent Rewind This!

If you have seen Rewind This! then Adjust Your Tracking doesn't offer anything new at all, and in all honesty it's not quite as good either. But it's still great fun, especially the interviews with random collectors and so on. It offers lots of great, interesting and fun info.

Was very surprised to see Matthew "Putrid" Carr in this, but considering his artwork and love for death metal I wasn't surprised by him being into this kind of stuff. He's made some cool artwork for bands such as Acid Witch, Anatomia, Autopsy, Cianide, Hooded Menace and more.

Worth a look for sure. Loved it!

On 9/8/2016 at 0:57 AM, Kiryu999 said:

Suicide Squad, and it wasn't that good. Very basic and cliché scenario, some characters are really useless (Diablo, Slipknot, Boomerang) and too much Will Smith! Harley Quinn was good tho, the Joker was fine but kinda useless as well they cuted too much of his scenes.

Overall I will give this movie 12/20, not so bad but not so good either. 

Watched it yesterday and I've pretty enjoyed it, the first comic movie of 2016 which satisfied me, after two meh movies such as Dawn of Justice and Civil War; the story was interesting (even if there were a lot of deleted scenes which I want to see on DVD) and only few characters hooked me (Deadshot and Harley were the best, along with Katana and Killer Croc, the rest didn't exalt me); and don't be offended, but Jared Leto, in his Joker, seemed to be a dirty copy of Jim Carrey's Edward Nygma, so at this point, they would have cast him directly.

8/10 for me, especially for the soundtrack!

Batman v Superman

One of the most vile movies I've seen this year. Random dream sequences, characters completely out of character from source materials, too dark, too long, Wonder Woman serving no purpose, logic defying plot holes, and worst of all... a complete miscast of Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luthur. Ban Zack Snyder from ever directing another superhero film. However, the biggest problem with the DC franchise is how they're so uptight competing with Marvel. It took Marvel nearly a decade to build up the first Avengers film which made that franchise so successful while this took 2-3 years. A rushed product with horrifying results. And after hearing many things about Suicide Squad, I have zero hope for upcoming DC movies. When the foundation of a franchise is built upon such atrocity, how can one expect the sequel to be any better when it follows up on that? Sure it's possible the sequels may be better as a self-contained flick, but as a whole, nope. It's like spraying perfume on garbage, but in the end, it's still garbage. Or a better analogy would be a functional healthy person standing with fractured legs. The only thing good about this film is the score. For this movie to force Hans Zimmer to retire from ever composing music for another superhero film is really sad to hear.

Rating: Fuck This/10

13 hours ago, Flame-X said:

Batman v Superman

One of the most vile movies I've seen this year. Random dream sequences, characters completely out of character from source materials, too dark, too long, Wonder Woman serving no purpose, logic defying plot holes, and worst of all... a complete miscast of Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luthur. Ban Zack Snyder from ever directing another superhero film. However, the biggest problem with the DC franchise is how they're so uptight competing with Marvel. It took Marvel nearly a decade to build up the first Avengers film which made that franchise so successful while this took 2-3 years. A rushed product with horrifying results. And after hearing many things about Suicide Squad, I have zero hope for upcoming DC movies. When the foundation of a franchise is built upon such atrocity, how can one expect the sequel to be any better when it follows up on that? Sure it's possible the sequels may be better as a self-contained flick, but as a whole, nope. It's like spraying perfume on garbage, but in the end, it's still garbage. Or a better analogy would be a functional healthy person standing with fractured legs. The only thing good about this film is the score. For this movie to force Hans Zimmer to retire from ever composing music for another superhero film is really sad to hear.

Rating: Fuck This/10

Quote this review!

Been watching a lot of older (spaghetti) westerns from 65-75 lately and had a good time, one of the coolest was The Stranger and the Gunfighter starring Lee Van Cleef and Lo Lieh, at the time one of the biggest stars in China. The Stranger and the Gunfighter offers a nice mix of classic spaghetti western, traditional Hong Kong martial arts and comedy, and it works really well. Neither Lee Van Cleef or Li Lieh are comedians and a lot of the comedy is very off-beat and off in general, but it does add a lot of charm to the film. I really enjoyed this film! Both Lee Van Cleef and Lo Lieh are really good here, and Julián Ugarte is superb as the religious fanatic that works against them. Superb!

It's a Shaw Brothers. (and some Italian company) production and was released in 1974, the same year Shaw Brothers. and Hammer Horror released the genre-bender The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Both films are super underrated too. Love these films!

1646205,wENhz_thfdJhBgdiWFGDOVnVFwIK9XY2

The Handmaiden:

Oh damn, completely forgot about this. Gonna watch it ASAP.

And I watched The Nice Guys a while ago in theater. I'm a bit tired of these buddy cop movies, but this was fun. I noticed one or two possible plot holes but I would have to see it again to be sure. And the plot development was surprisingly unpredictable at some points, which is always nice. 7,5/10

Edited by indigo