Neon

Last movie you saw.

special correspondents

I am a big fan of Ricky Gervais and have been looking forward to see this for a while.

Unfortunately it left me dissappointed, alot of plot elements felt unnececary. 

Ricky and Eric Bana were good and quite funny together though!

Edited by Mind of the sun

Wolf of Wallstreet

Fantastic movie overall. Incredibly well acted throughout and edited. It's like an amped up Boiler Room but with comedy.

ex machina

talk about a fucking trippy movie, like holy fuck that shit was strange.... definitely not falling in love with any robots anytime soon xD

Trippy in what way? I thought Ex-Machina was a fairly straight-forward and a great film.

The Revenant - Great survival drama that's been talked about for a long time now, but I feel like it's a bit overrated to be honest. Alejandro González Iñárritu doesn't know how to disappoint and as far as Hollywood actors goes, they just doesn't get much better than DiCaprio. It's beautifully staged and shot, generally well-acted and the story is there, but it could easily have been 20 min shorter IMO. I just feel like there's a lot of scenes that's there just to show us the beautiful landscape, which I personally think is unnecessary as there's so much beautiful landscape otherwise. But other than that I truly did enjoy this film.

But I'd still say that Amores perros is miles ahead of this film, and it isn't really better than 21 Grams, Babel or Biutiful either.

The-Revenant-Battle-Scene.jpg

11 hours ago, JukaForever said:

Captain America: Civil War, best Avengers movie yet

Saw this a few days ago as well! Still like Winter Soldier more but Civil War is a close second!

On 5/3/2016 at 10:11 PM, Bear said:

Trippy in what way? I thought Ex-Machina was a fairly straight-forward and a great film.

I guess I just found the movie to be weird... in a good way though but definitely very surreal. I thought it was a very good movie regardless, just it sorta gave me this freaky vibe xD

39 minutes ago, Mind of the sun said:

Saw this a few days ago as well! Still like Winter Soldier more but Civil War is a close second!

going to see it tonight, so excited people have been praising the shit out of it :D

I've watched Capt. America: Civil War this morning. Damn good flick!

Unfortunately, my viewing experience was ruined by some snoring fatass sitting next to me smelling like cheetos and I couldn't move anywhere since the theater I went to had assigned reclined seats reclined all the way up on both sides. :(

As for the movie...

Spoiler

As the year goes, this is the best 2016 movie I've seen by far. As many articles says, marvel redefines superhero genre once again. Yes a villain is present, but the real attention goes to picking the sides of differing moral dilemmas. Honestly, both sides were a very tough pick for me. Of all the criticism I had for Spiderman when I saw his appearance in the trailer, he made the movie so much more enjoyable. His character was right on point; wise cracker, witty, humorous, smart for his age. The fight scene at the airport was incredibly well choreographed. I almost lost it when Ant-man pulled that little trick upon his sleeve. But it felt kinda random for him to be suddenly entering the film and sides with the Capt without much reasoning. The introductory action scenes felt very disorientating due to the Jason Bourne style shaky cam and fast cuts. That was pretty much my biggest gripe overall. Those are my brief thoughts so far. I still say Winter Soldier is my favorite of the Marvel flicks. This definitely comes 2nd, followed by the first Avengers. I would like to discuss more but I'll hold off for now. I'm curious what others think, especially fans from the original comic.

1 hour ago, Flame-X said:

I've watched Capt. America: Civil War this morning. Damn good flick!

Unfortunately, my viewing experience was ruined by some snoring fatass sitting next to me smelling like cheetos and I couldn't move anywhere since the theater I went to had assigned reclined seats reclined all the way up on both sides. :(

As for the movie...

Reveal hidden contents

Damn sucks to hear that your experience was lessened because of rude people, honestly if it was me I would have snapped on dude... really though snoring? that's not cool.

4 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

Damn sucks to hear that your experience was lessened because of rude people, honestly if it was me I would have snapped on dude... really though snoring? that's not cool.

Ya man. I would've snapped as well or exited the screening wanting my money back but that would result wasting my time since I've already taken the morning off from the work just to see the flick. What's weird was I couldn't tell if the guy was actually sleeping or not based on a few glances and reactions. Might be the way he breathes. But even so, it's inconsiderate towards others who are just trying to enjoy the entertainment. Next time I go see a movie, I'm choosing a theater that doesn't have assigned seating arrangements so therefor I can freely move to a different seat if some common sense-lacking asshole irritates me. :|

I'm always sceptic about going to the cinema which is why I tend to wait until the film has run for a long time before I go, because it means less people in the audience. I'm a big fan of going to the cinema on big, red days when we're off work and most people celebrate. New years eve is a good day to go to the cinema. It's early, it's more or less free of other people and chances are big that you'll have a good time.

Deadpool - I finally got to see this film and it actually lived up to my huge expectations, and went even further beyond those. To start off I have to admit that I always liked Ryan Reynolds despite many dogy choices of films to be in, but he's always got something about him. The second thing I need to say is that this is a really impressive debut by Tim Miller. It's not super original and he does rely on tricks used a lot before, but he's daring and he brings something to the superhero film that we haven't seen too much of. It's childish and silly with Ryan Reynolds delivering ridiculous one-liners from the begining to the end. But the character, the entire tone of the film and Ryan Reynolds' fantastic performance makes it work, as well as Tim Millers direction because he just knows what he wants this film to be. It's not uneven in tone at all. It's a known story, but it feels fresh. Yeah, fuck it! Let's just agree that this was exceptional!

There's a few CGI problems during this film, but they're minor and this film was excellent aside from that.

Now, this is a superhero film, but it's not a traditional one and it's more in the line of Kick-Ass, The Toxic Avenger and so on. And anyone expection something traditional will most likely be disappointed during the first watch, but most likely not the second or third. And quality-wise I think this is up there with the very best of superhero films. To me this film doesn't stand back to films such as Batman, Batman Returns, Watchmen, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Kick-Ass, The Toxic Avenger, Superman, Dredd, Swamp Thing and V for Vendetta which I consider the best of the best as far as superhero films goes.

NE0vrnpVHLVT45_2_b.jpg

The Hitcher: My man Rutger does it again. Damn, does he ever play the ''evil son of a bitch'' role well. Also, goddamn, this film delivers more spectacle in just its first 20 minutes than what some movies deliver in their whole runtime lol

Despite the lack of any supernatural elements in the movie, I'd say some MASSIVE suspension of disbelief is required, but goddamn, does it ever deliver the sweet '80s goodness. Loved it.

^ I agree, awesome movie! Rutger Hauer is da man!!

Spy - Somehow I was (unconsciously?) avoiding this film so far, but I ended up finally watching it this afternoon in the company of some friends & beer. It's hilarious! Seriously, the whole thing totally  exceeded my expectations. Very funny and entertaining movie with a healthy dose of action and twists & turns, not afraid to take some risks even. Excellent.

tumblr_nsu46mc7hb1rwkbw0o1_500.gif

Edited by Jigsaw9

Nightcrawler - Main character has to be one of the creepiest, sleaziest sociopathic assholes portrayed in film in the last decade or so. Great film! I really liked it. The fact that it's mostly set during nighttime helps too, I've always been a sucker for nighttime visuals lol

50/50

''Inspired by a true story, a comedy centered on a 27-year-old guy who learns of his cancer diagnosis, and his subsequent struggle to beat the disease.''

Stars: ''Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, Anna Kendrick , Bryce Dallas Howard''

Joseph Gordon-Lewitt and Seth Rogen have really good chemistry , perhaps even more so here than in ''The Night Before''. I also think this is my favorite role I've seen Seth Rogen in.  Even though some of his other movies are my all time favorite comedies (This is the end, Pineapple Express). It's nice to see him not play an all to crazy laughing pothead for once.

Pulgasari - North-Korean kaiju by a South-Korean director. Does that sound insane? Well, it is. It's a story that is as bizarre as it is fascinating. Eight years prior to this film Kim Jong-il, a massive movie fan at the time supposedly with over 15-20k film in his library, ordered South-Korean master-director Shin Sang-ok and actor Chong Gon Jo kidnapped. The reason? Kim Jong-il wanted North-Korea to be known for making great films, and as Shin Sang-ok was the hottest director in Korea at the time it was an easy choice. As far as I know he made somethin glike 7 propaganda films before making this, and all were of course produced by Kim Jong-il who also approved of ideas and stuff. The first seven films also starred Chong Gon Jo, but his last North-Korean film, Pulgasari, did not.

The story behind this film has made it cult, but it has more than a fascinating backstory. Pulgasari is a fairly standard, but well-executed kaiju film heavily inspired by Godzilla as Kim Jong-il was a massive fan. They even flew in Duk Ho Kim and Teruyoshi Nakano, known for their special effects on a lot of kaiju films like the 70's Godzilla films and more. While cheap-looking, the special effects does the job, the actors are mostly on par or good and the story, as silly as it is, really engages me. A fun film! No, it's more than fun. It's great, despite all of its flaws.

Pulgasari-destruction1.jpg

kimjong-onsetdirecting.jpg

Edited by Bear

SPL 2: A Time for Consequences -  Pou-Soi Cheang's sequel to Wilson Yip's SPL: Kill Zone isn't really a sequel at all. Other than the title SPL and a few actors (who return but with different characters) there's nothing here that screams SPL. I consider SPL: Kill Zone, with Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, Simon Yam and Simon Yam a true masterpiece of modern Hong Kong/martial arts cinema, so it's not an film that's easy to follow-up. So how does it? Well, let me tell you.

Neither Donnie Yen nor Sammo Hung returns, but instead they've gotten modern martial arts beast Tony Jaa, Jin Zhang and Louis Koo, with Simon Yam and Jing Wu returning. In other words they've got themself a real good cast who perform really well. Tony Jaa is badass as usual, but he's no Donnie Yen. They tend to cut his scenes a bit too much, but he's badass and his fights are always entertaining. The action itself isn't quite as good and a few moves which is so very much out of place and looks fucked up, nor is the story as good. There's too many subplots, and they should've rather cut a couple of them and given more focus to the other subplots. But I was very much entertained. The film is cool as fuck!

THere's a few insane fights, though. Brilliant choreography and execution. Hardcore as fuck.

maxresdefault.jpg

Recently watched Deadpool and the first Anchorman. Had fun with both of them. Didn't expect Anchorman to make me laugh as much as it did, honestly. Deadpool was deadcool too, but HNGNGNNGG getting bored of how every superhero movie needs to have a romance subplot shoved in there somewhere

Samurai Cop - I felt like finally watching the recently made sequel to this god damn masterpiece and decided I had to rewatch this again. Samurai Cop, starring Mathew Karedas/Matt Hannon and Mark Frazer, neither actual actors, as well as people like Robert Z'Dar, Melissa Moore and Gerald Okamura, is an early 90's action film that's gained a proper cult status over the years. Why? Because everything about it is so fucking bad. The script sucks, the actors suck, the director suck, the action sucks, the dialogue sucks and so on, but all in a great way. It's so bad and so cheesy, and so fucking entertaining. A sleazy, womanizing cop, a Japanese gang called Katana wich consists mainly of white guys, a shit partner and so on. Fantastic film! Superb trash.

11031_1.jpg

Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance - Gregory Hatanaka, founder of the distrubution company Cinema Epoch who specialices in asian cult films, desides to brush the dust away from the legendary Samurai Cop and makes a sequel, 25 years after the first one was released. Mathew Karedas/Matt Hannon and Mark Frazer reprices their roles, as well as Cranston Komuro and Gerald Okamura, and the film starts off really well. The first few shots in the film is actually really good looking and gets my hopes up sky high, but as the film goes on I get more and more disappointed. Unlike the first one, which is just awful from A to Z, this has a few great moments, but Gregory Hatanaka's use to cheap CGI (lots of CGI blood!!!) sucks, and the film just gets too absurd as it goes it. It doesn't feel very natural at all, it tries too hard to live up to the legacy of the first one. It just tried too hard to be bad, and that's Hatanaka's big mistake here, aside from the CGI blood which is the worst.

Decent, but not as good-bad as I had hoped.

Tommy Wiseau (The Room) has a big role too, and Bai Ling is great. Did really well for her role.

94fbc428cd7f4dfb2c7750e5f2752969.jpg?ito

Harry Brown - A good old-fashioned revenge flick that lies somewhere inbetween Death Wish and Gran Torino. The film stars Michael Caine, a man that did films such as these so very, very well back in the old days. It's a debut feature from a new director and a good debut it is. It's well-acted and nicely shot, and the setting is cold, hard and brutal.

If you're a Game of Thrones fan you'll spot a few familiar faces as well. Iain Glen, Liam Cunningham, David Bradley and Forbes KB all appear in this.

Michael-Caine-Harry-Brown-001.jpg