Neon

Last movie you saw.

Lost in Translation, with Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson.

A bittersweet love story, but I expected more, with all the praise this movie gets... I don't know, guess I expected more from the dialogues, no memorable lines and stuff like that...

Born Invincible - A martial arts tour the force by Joseph Kuo, and a rather straight-forward Joseph Kuo b-film. There's not too much story to dig into, but 60-65 of the film's 83 minutes are brilliantly choreographed fights with some nice acrobatics and cheese thrown in, as well as some badass, campy villains that you cannot help but dig. I love me some cheese, and I love meself some martial arts, and this is full of both. Great film!

I love seeing seeing our hearoes "cheat" as well. "Cheating" heroes tend to be the best heroes.

A cool cast too featuring  Carter Wong, Jack Long and Lo Lieh among others. Badass!

Chief_Chin_BornInvincible-CarterWong3_a7

Challenge of the Masters - Straight-forward Chia-Liang Liu flick with Gordon Liu, Yue Wong and Lily Li in the leads. A much deeper film than Born Invincible takes brings up questions about discipline and morale. It's shot, choreographed and executed with such flair it looks like it was a mid-80's film, and not a film from 76 and that's very cool.

Gordon Liu is the star here. He's got great acting skills and amazing screen presence. He was a star in the making at the time, and you could just see he was gonna make it. The kid had everything!

ChallengOfTheMaster-GordonLiu_ChenKuanTa

But still, mate. You don't start on the third of a film. It's not allowed as you'll miss out on so much fun.

What was the other options?

Star Wars (no interest)

The Revenant (too long)

Daddy's Home

Dirty Grandpa

Ride Along 2 

.. a few others I'd never heard of

Both of us were in the mood for some kung fu action, and thought it would be fun to see a Cantonese movie in a theatre (both of us speak/understand it on some level) and besides I was already familiar with the basics of Ip Man's real life story. .. Comparing it to something like Lord of the Rings is a bit much, obviously LOTR is a gigantic epic story, and in a case like that I wouldn't start from the middle.

Star Wars (no interest)

The Revenant (too long)

Daddy's Home

Dirty Grandpa

Ride Along 2 

.. a few others I'd never heard of

Both of us were in the mood for some kung fu action, and thought it would be fun to see a Cantonese movie in a theatre (both of us speak/understand it on some level) and besides I was already familiar with the basics of Ip Man's real life story. .. Comparing it to something like Lord of the Rings is a bit much, obviously LOTR is a gigantic epic story, and in a case like that I wouldn't start from the middle.

Yeah, the LotR comparrison was exaggerated, but the point still stands though. Let's take Back to the Future instead. Yes, you can start on #2 og #3 without any single problem as they both stand fine on their own legs, but by watching the first you'll get to properly know the characters, the story, and not at leas the universe, and even though they are not connected the same way as LotR, watching the first one will improve on the second and third one. Same goes for Ip Man. There's not a problem starting on the second film, because it stand fine on its own legs, but you will miss a lot and by watching the first one you will make the second one better and more interesting than it is by its own.

I have a general rule, but it might only concern me as I am quite the film nerd:

Always start at the begining!

And why didn't you want to watch Star Wars? I thought it was excellent, and while not on the same level as the original trilogy it's still superb and a must-watch IMO. Space opera done right.

I have a general rule, but it might only concern me as I am quite the film nerd:

Always start at the begining!

And why didn't you want to watch Star Wars? I thought it was excellent, and while not on the same level as the original trilogy it's still superb and a must-watch IMO. Space opera done right.

Yeah, well as I said before, I don't watch a lot of movies, so I'm very much not a film nerd ^_^. I still enjoyed Ip Man 3, though there were some characters that probably had more back story in the previous films. I may eventually watch the first 2 films, but anyway I mostly watched it for cool action scenes and I was satisfied.

As for Star Wars.. I'm pretty sure I've never watched an entire one. I've definitely seen large chunks of the original trilogy, and chunks of ep 1..  I'm not really interested in sci-fi, so Star Wars isn't a series I'm into.. I actually looked up spoilers for ep 7 because I kept seeing people whining about getting spoiled, so I had to know.

Yeah, well as I said before, I don't watch a lot of movies, so I'm very much not a film nerd ^_^. I still enjoyed Ip Man 3, though there were some characters that probably had more back story in the previous films. I may eventually watch the first 2 films, but anyway I mostly watched it for cool action scenes and I was satisfied.

Ip Man are one of the best choreographed (martial arts) action films in the history of films, and along with films such as Ong Bak, The Raid 1 & 2 and Chocolate, one of the martial arts films one must see from the past 15 years, and this I base on the fights alone, something which says alot because I know my martial arts films. And on top of that Ip Man is alot more than just fights.

Ip Man is choreographed by Sammo Hung, one of my personal favourits (as an actor, director and choreographer) and he's not gained that status without a proper reason. Often considered the best fight choreographer in the world, and I tend to agree and Ip Man was just another film to prove his brilliance. The choreography is so smooth, so slick, so powerful and so beautiful, and Donnie Yen is one to really pull it off with conviction. The fight with the Japanese unit is more than fucking brilliant. Can watch that over and over and over, and I just won't get tired of it. So good.

Ip Man is choreographed by Sammo Hung

Hmm, I was fairly certain I didn't see Sammo's name in the credits so I checked.. Ip Man 1 & 2 were choreographed by Sammo, while Ip Man 3 was choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping. This does make me more interested to see the other 2, so I can see if I'd notice a difference (I probably wouldn't).

I'm sure more or less everyone who isn't fuck-deep into the genre won't notice a single difference at all, but for the trained eye there's a huge difference. But I am also a huge ffan of Yuen Woo-ping,  both as a director and action choreographer, and he's a great choice as well. Never as innovative as Sammo Hung, but his fights are always packed with great power and flair.

Back in the 70's and 80's he took the genre to a new level, not only with his innovative action choreography, but his entire approach to the genre both as a director, choreographer and actor was fresh and he offered something new. His choreography was highly technical and smart, but at the same time he offered a lot of humor adding new elements to his fights and films all the same.Serious, yet often so over the top and silly at the same time, but always without losing t he power of the fight. A very talented man. A real pioneer and trend-setter in the world of Hong Kong cinema. One of the biggest names in cinema to me.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - Classic adventure film the way adventure films was supossed to be. It's a proper adventure from begining to end, and a real treat to fans of adventures. It's the first in Columbia Pictures' Sinbad trilogy and easily the best one, even though all three are fantastic. Everything from the directing and cinematography to the score, actors, characters and all is fantastic, but the real star here is, like he always was in the films he contribuated, is Ray Harryhausen. He does everything right as usual. The special effects, called Dynamation here (as animation was seen as childish during this time), is special indeed. Magical. Not only does the figures looks great, but the way they move and act - the way Ray Harryhausen gave them all personalities. No matter how little screen time they got, they all have different personalities. He made them real, as real as every single actor in the film.

A fantastic adventure topped by crazy-good special effect by maestro Ray Harryhausen. A must-see! A masterpiece!

The two other films came much later and while they have a proper adventure feeling, they're a bit different. Being mad ein the 70's they're not nearly as classy as this. Much sexier and sleaxier, but I don't mind that. Heh.

tumblr_mzxk3b6lAC1qedb29o1_500.gif

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha - Fun martial arts film where Jang-Lee Hwang actually plays a good-guy. I think he'd played in soemthing like 30 films before this, but never had he been a good-guy. He's alway been a villain, but here he's a good-guy and that's very cool. He's so cool, and he's a master-kicker. Some of his kicks are unbelieveable. To be honest, this film is 95% about the kicks.

Good film!

sw-GM6.gif

Steve Jobs (Danny Boyle)

See this movie has created in me mixed feelings. Steve Jobs is now presented as a model in many areas with its paternalistic vision of the company. He has transformed Apple into a huge powerful conglomerate in the world, power that makes debate and subjects to various controversies about its data privacy policy (in others).

The big success of Steve Jobs is even questioned. Is it deserved? Knowing that he obviously has never created anything by himself?

I was more interrested by the director, Danny Boyle who I particularly like. Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Shunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 hours, Trance ... movies that revealed a director with a particular style and quality. The movie is still bold and has more balls than Jobs out in 2013 with Ashton Kutcher. Here, the director focuses on three key events of the character: the launch of the Macintosh, his NEXT episode after leaving Apple and the lauching of iMac. A movie in three acts, composed entirely of dialogues in which we witness the glory but also (and perhaps especially) the failures of Steve Jobs. We tend to think that genius often hides a crazy hand in a person. That may be true. Steve Jobs was a fascinating character but at the same time a tyrannical leader who is unable to be kind and with disastrous relationships people around him.

Michael Fassbender ensures well in the title role and once again confirms that he is a very good actor. I also appreciated Seth Rogen's performance, accustomed to comic roles with your pee-poo humor, this serious role (Steve Wozniak) was great.

In short, a good tribute which like a "behind the scenes-movie" of Steve Jobs. Interesting nonetheless.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - 16 year after Columbia Pictures first allowed SInbad out on an adventure, they let him go out on an adventure again and what a damn good fantasy-adventure we have on our hands here. It's not quite as good as the first one, though. John Phillip Law takes over the role as Sinbad from Kerwin Mathews, and he's not nearly as good, nor is the character as well-written. He's cheekier and less sympathic, as well as a bit rougher. Which is almost the only disappointment here, as well as the fact that none of the characters are fleshed out enough. They're too one-dimentional. The rest is top notch, and the story is almost as good as in the first one. Proper light-hearted adventure for both the young and old.

Tom Baker is amazing as our villain and Caroline Munro as a slave girl/ex-slave girl is as fantastic as she is beautiful and sexy. What a woman! But at the same time her clothes is much of the reaosn why this feel a little less classy. Heh.

tumblr_ndga2drE8K1ryasv1o1_400.gif

But the real highlight of the film is... wait for it... wait for it... wait for it... RAY HARRYHAUSEN! For this one they decided to change the name of the animation from Dynamation to Dynarama to get more attention around it, and if it worked or not I do not knoow. What I do know is that the special effects are imaginative and god damn great. Ray Harryhausen is once again the star of a film. Beautiful stop-motion whenever it's needed. This guy was a real start. Never on screen himself, still always apeared as the star. Unique!

Oh, and there's not a single kiss between Sinbad and Margiana, which I thought was really cool. I expected a kiss, so not getting one was awesome.

giphy.gif

Turbo Kid - The coolest film from 2015 that you've never seen. Turbo Kid plays out as a big, fat homage to 80's pop culture, and it works so well. Post-apocalyptic actioner with a shitload of blood and gore, beautiful practical special effects, and even more blood and gore. And more blood and gore. And some more. It's 95 minutes of blood, gore and refrences to the 80's/early 90's, and I couldn't stop enjoying myself. It's obviously low-budget, but the people behind it have gotten a lot for their money. As a whole the film felt like a mix between Mad Max: The Road Warrior, BMX Bandits and Megaman, something which is really fucking cool. Cheesy, silly and over the top!

Apple was a beautiful character. Fucking loved her, and she might have been the ultimate highlight of the film, beside the magnificent soundtrack by the Canadian electro-duo Le Matos.

turbo-kid.jpg

ABCs of Sperheroes

Shit! I can't wait for this. Looks like the kind of trash I really enjoy. It looks like the kind of film that deserves a six-pack and chips.

Dark Star -  After a series of short films John Carpenter debuted with a sci-fi flick, the kind of sci-fi flick that is semi-surrealistc, absurd and comic, leaning towards black comedy without ever ending up as a comedy. A satire with plenty of depth. Cheey but fantastic-looking special effects, great, silly characters, a nice plot and a cool soundtrack.

I'm sure there's more people that'll be dissatisfied than happy with how this film plays out, but I really like it. 70's and 80's John Carpenter is the shit!

6950_2.jpg

Deadpool here as well. :D Had a blast! Really fun 'super-antihero' movie with some hilarious dialogue and clever scenes, mostly thanks to our protagonist, who is played flawlessly by Ryan Reynolds. It was refreshing to see a weirder and more 'out-there' vulgar superhero-type flick than usual. My only small complaint would be that they could've made it even more freaky, but I'll wait for the sequel for that - maybe they'll go all out. For now, I'm enjoying this greatly. Gonna go see it for the 2nd time tonight, this time with the original voice, yay! (here in Hungary somehow this movie is very hard to track down with its original sound, but the dub is eeeeverywhere, ugh)

Deadpool here as well. :D Had a blast! Really fun 'super-antihero' movie with some hilarious dialogue and clever scenes, mostly thanks to our protagonist, who is played flawlessly by Ryan Reynolds. It was refreshing to see a weirder and more 'out-there' vulgar superhero-type flick than usual. My only small complaint would be that they could've made it even more freaky, but I'll wait for the sequel for that - maybe they'll go all out. For now, I'm enjoying this greatly. Gonna go see it for the 2nd time tonight, this time with the original voice, yay! (here in Hungary somehow this movie is very hard to track down with its original sound, but the dub is eeeeverywhere, ugh)

Oh wow you watched a dub?

Yeah Reynolds voice was kind of annoying at first, but eventually he fit the bill just fine.

Movie was weird, that's for sure. Kinda felt like I was watching a Jim Carey film with him playing a superhero.