Neon

Last movie you saw.

CREED

Oh man, this movie broke me, emotionally. All the things I loved about the Rocky movies are here. Pretty much everything in this film was very well done. I honestly wasn't expecting much on the cinematography, but it's beautifully shot and those long one camera take scenes blew me away with its incredible choreographed fights. Since this is a very character driven movie, the performances are quite stellar and the drama depicted here spoke to me as real world struggles. Micheal B. Jordan nails it and this is without a doubt Stallone's best acting I've seen. Even the girl actor who plays Creed's love interest manages to hold up and not be the token annoying female character. There were plenty of tear jerking moments but the last half hour made me spill. Anyone who enjoyed Rocky films will appreciate this movie as it speaks nostalgia while keeping it fresh for the new generation audience. I do think this serves as a fitting conclusion to the franchise, but the movie does stand on its own paving its way for possible sequels (which I kinda don't want). Other than that, this is definitely my favorite movie of 2015 beating out Mad Max.... unless if the new Star Wars movie manages blow me away even more.

Rating: 9.5/10

Horrible Bossess 2 - I really liked the first one and thought it was a refreshing Hollywood-comedy that dared to go a bit darker than mostother similar comdies, topped off with some excellent chemestry between the three leads and several of the other in the cast. However, I never managed to fully look forward to this as sequels like this more often than not end up as disappointments. And this is no exclusion. It's disappointing alright, but still far better than I had expected.

At 108 minutes it's 15-20 minutes too long, and at times very unfocused. And unlike the first one, where more or less every single joke and scene worked, this one is very hit and miss. I like the fact that they're not afraid of sending lots of tasteless, vulgar and politically incorrect jokes our way, just like the first one, but it feels like they just dumbed it down a lot. And it lacked the originality of the first one.

However, what saves this film for me is Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx. And while very hit or miss, at its best it's hilarious IMO. The phone-calls to Christoph Waltz' Bert Hanson with the accents is superb, and the sex addiction meeting was hilarious. There's a few other scenes to, but those scenes just cracked me the fuck up. Had me in tears. Simple but effective.

But on the other hand it has scenes such as the one where they say the names over the walkie talkie. So boring, man. Offers nothing to the movie at all.

A bumpy ride, but decent for what it is. However, I'll rather watch the first one ten times over again before I rewatch this. hat's how big of a difference there is.

Chris-Pine-in-Horrible-Bosses-2.jpg

Creed was amazing, Saw it Sunday night and much like @Flame-X it blew me away as well. Still think Mad Max is my favorite movie this year but Creed definitely came really close almost to the point I would say that I enjoyed them both equally as much.

The film year of 2015 for me:

1. Bone Tomahawk (10/10)

2. Mad Max: Fury Road (9/10)

3. Kung Fury (9/10)

4. Furious Seven (8/10)

5. Beast of no Nation (8/10)

6. Manson Family Vacation (8/10)

7. Jurassic World (7/10)

8. The Avengers: Age of Ultron (7/10)

9. Minions (7/10)

10. Woman in Gold (6/10)

I expect The Hateful Eight to climb pretty high on this list, though. I'm sure it'll be among the 3 best of this year for sure. And I expect that at least four of these films ends up on my list, maybe even more then four too: Straight Outta Compton, Ip Man 3, The Witch, Dope, The Cannibal in the Jungle, The Green Inferno, The Final Girls, Deathgasm, Insidious: Chapter 3, Flowers, The Assassin, We Are Still Here, Ant-Man, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, The Gift, The Visit,

There's also a few documentaries I just can't wait to see:

42nd Street Memories: The Rise and Fall of America's Most Notorious Street

Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Satan Lives

Club King

Cartel Land

And if I include documentaries I expect some of these to make it on the list too. Especially the two first there. Looks neat as fuck!

The Masked Avengers - Super classic Chang Cheh flick in the vein of Five Deadly Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Five Element Ninjas. In other words, it feature his cool, exploitation-like martial arts fun with lots of blood, likeable characters and cooler-than-ice villains, and of course several of The Venom Mob guys, both some older and some newer ones. There's also a certain wuxia-inspiration here.

The plot is very simple and straght-forward: a bunch of masked guys have been terrorizing the countryside, killing, raping and stealing, and a bunch of friends try to investigate this on their own and find out who these masked killers are. And as with Five Deadly Venoms, the killers doesn't know eachothers identity, nor do we, which makes it a cool and interesting mystery. Simple, but very captivating and cool. It's what you call effective.

The Masked Avengers has to nice exploitation-feel to it and is all about well-choreographed fights, blood ad violence. If you like your martial arts films with an exploitation-feeling to it, then this will please you for sure. Nothing to not like here. Another perfect Chang Cheh film!

masked-avengers-2.jpg

And I just can't say it enough: Chang Cheh was a genius! Among my favourite filmmakers for sure. Easily top 3! I need to check out even more of his film. What a man!

The Time Machine - No, not the shitty remake, you dork. I still remember seeing the remake together with a bunch of my friends. It was abysmal, and it took me years to check out. However, I did check it out and it was fantastic, and it still is. OK, so it leaves some of the ideology of the original story behind and makes it into more of a fun sci-fi adventure without much depth to be honest. But it's a really fun adventure with a superb Rod Taylor in the lead.

Best thing about the film? When our lead is just sitting in his time machine and slowly going into the future. It looks so good, man. Beautifully done! Great special effects too. Beats anything CGI 7 days a week, you fucks.

thetimemachine1960-timemachine0011.jpg

House of Traps - Amazing Chang Cheh flick in the vein of The Masked Avengers, Five Deadly Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Five Element Ninjas. Pure exploitation martial arts. Sure, the plot is simple and straight-forward, but it is, in many ways, creative and fresh. House of Traps is an action-packed martial arts film with elements of wuxia, and the god damn Venom Mob! It's the kind of film Chang Cheh perfected, and the type of film which will entertain any martial arts fan. Brillant stuff as usual from my god Chang Cheh!

vlcsnap1991422_thumb.jpg

Victoria - Very cool drama/thriller about a (Spanish) girl in a foreign country (Germany) who feels really alone, and late one night goes along with some questionably-behaving guys for the thrill of adventure I guess, but things get messier and messier as the morning approaches. Once you 'get into the groove', the 2 hours just fly by. An impressive feat that made me watch it btw: all of the movie was shot in one single take, not like some other movies that just ~look~ like it. Apparently they nailed it for the 3rd time, and most of the dialogues were improvised by the actors (they only had a very short script). It sounds a bit like a gimmick, but it really adds an intimacy and believability to the whole story. At times fun, other times intense and scary. Good movie.

tumblr_inline_nwy1rq1Ln81qepr2p_540.jpg

The Battle Wizard - Over the top and batshit fucking crazy wuxia, just the way I like it. It's much in the vein of other crazy wuxia films like Holy Flame of the Martial World, Buddha's Palm and The Bastard Swordsman I & II, and it's really fucking weird and cool. It's short and fairly simple, but I really liked the story (based on the novel Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils), and it's filled with cool characters, crazy-as-fuck special effects as whatnot. It's pretty brutal too, with legs being shot off, arms ripped of its body, heads exploding and more.

Weird, wicked and goofy, but damn is it entertaining. Top, top notch!

hqdefault.jpg

Two Champions of Shaolin - Awesome shaolin-themed flcik by Chang Cheh. The film stars several of the Venom Mob, and is a Shaolin vs. Wu Tang film, which of course is cool as fuck. The film is fairly easy to follow, but the fights will have you down on your knees, gaping. There's some truly impressive fights here, with choreography straight from heaven. Top shelf stuff, guys.

While this isn't anywhere near Chang Cheh's very best, it's still bloody fantastic. A must-watch for sure!

sword-masters-7.png

Descendant of the Sun - Weird, crazy, over the top, charming, colorful and fun wuxia from 1983. This is crazy wuxia mixed with Superman and Hercules, with a cool duel "stolen" from The Sword in the Stone. There's lots of shooting lazers from eyes and hands, exploding people, flying and weird-as-fuck moments here, but  the film is lots of fun, the sets looks amazing and it's beautifully shot. For most people this ain't but a silly, childish and laughable film, but for me, a huge fan of martial arts, wuxia and over the top fantasy, there's nothing to not enjoy here.

I really liked this film. So much fun!

Descendant.of.the.Sun.1983.DVDRip.XviD-A

The Young Avenger - Cool, fast-paced martial arts film that at times is almost too face for its own good. The first 2/3 of the film is geat, but the third act, which consists of more or less only action, is a bit too fast for its own good. But I was very much entertained by this fairly standard actioner.

THE_YOUNG_AVENGER-1.jpg

Ant-Man - I was really looking forward to this without having too high of expectations, because MCU-films are such a rollercoaster-ride. But in the last few years they really seem to have found a way to make it work properly, and this is the best film in the MCU alongside Captain America: The Winter Soldier. And alongside The Winter Soldier, Ant-Man is easily the freshest film in the universe as well. Both offers soemthing completely different from the rest of the films. They are deeper and seem to have amuch bigger focus than just being another action-adventure with silly oneliners.

The Winter Soldier is easily the best plotwise, being a proper thriller with a fairly good plotand all, while Ant-Man is a proper action-comedy that delivers on both action and comedy. The funniest film till now for sure, and the best film action-wise. It doesn't have the story of The Winter Soldier, but the action and comedy makes up for it as it's filled with well-made action and hilarious comedy. And... wait for it... wait for it... wait for it... it features the best MCU-villain til now! The cast is good, with Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Michael Peña, T.I. and Anthony Mackie are all great, but Corey Stoll steals the show as the villain. He's got a certain madness about him that I just love.

Yeah! Great as a regular action-comedy, great as a heist film. Great as everything. Also, other MCU-directors should learn from Peyton Reed, because he proves that even though this is a superhero movie, less can be more, which is certainly is here. It's a very stripped down film for being a superhero film. Superb!

ant-man-1435327553.gif

Spy - I'm not a big fan of Melissa McCarthy which made me very sceptical to this film, despite my love for Jason Statham.But to my big surprise McCarthy ended up doing fairly well in this, and she even becomes funny during the second half of the film. But this film is all about Jason Statham who from nowhere turned into a comedian with brilliant comedic timing, as well as Rose Byrne and Jude Law. They are this film. OK, the film relies a bit too much on weight jokes, but the entire film is what Kingsman: The Secret Service so hard tried and wanted to be. But Spy is a better film in every way, and much of it because it's naughtier, dirtier and rawer in many ways. While childish, it's so obviously aimed towards an older/more mature audience than Kingsman: The Secret Service.

But this is Jason Statham's film. He's everything here. He IS the film. This is easily his best role alongside his roles in Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and these are also films that proves that he's a lot more than just looks, muscles and kicks.

set_spy_jason_statham.gif

War of the Shaolin Temple - This is something like a B-grade martial arts film by a man who (according to IMDB) only made four movies, and I didn't recognize any actors in it either. Non of the leads seem to be very talented or experienced at all. As soon as I turned this on you could see the cinematography was lackluster and all, but I gave it a proper chance and I'm happy about that because it was really good. Cool fight scenes, decent actors and all that, and a few very cool characters. The drunken monk was really, really cool. Hilarious guy!

Good film, and a very big surprise. Awful cinematography and lighting throughout the film, but not something that bothered me too much. Was really enjoyed!

hqdefault.jpg

I honestly forgot what was the last movie I saw, I think it was The Labyrinth, like, two months ago? Maybe I should study less and watch more movies...

watched that new Star Wars movie. if it wasn't for going to cinema with pals after drunk party then i doubt i could've managed to sit through the whole movie. but since i kinda expected it to be lulzworthy and had much worse expectations, it actually turned to be quite enjoyable (disregarding few cheesy moments). though it's obvious that movie was poorly done, the creators didn't seem to care much about details and how everything fits with the story. and these new main actors weren't good either, not sure if it's due to their lack of experience or just because they aren't remarkable in general. 

watched that new Star Wars movie. if it wasn't for going to cinema with pals after drunk party then i doubt i could've managed to sit through the whole movie. but since i kinda expected it to be lulzworthy and had much worse expectations, it actually turned to be quite enjoyable (disregarding few cheesy moments). though it's obvious that movie was poorly done, the creators didn't seem to care much about details and how everything fits with the story. and these new main actors weren't good either, not sure if it's due to their lack of experience or just because they aren't remarkable in general. 

Not sure if you are trolling or not lol

Just came home from seeing the new Star Wars movie. It was good. Like, I-can't-complain good. :D Serves its purpose as a fun introductory piece to a new trilogy - things are already looking better than the prequels (tho that's not too hard to achieve I guess, lol).

Just came home from seeing the new Star Wars movie. It was good. Like, I-can't-complain good. :D Serves its purpose as a fun introductory piece to a new trilogy - things are already looking better than the prequels (tho that's not too hard to achieve I guess, lol).

Should be very easy. Aside from the podrace in Episode 1 there's nothing of value in those three films. They're so bad, man. From what I've heard, Episode 7 is more just a film to get the series started again with a lot of elements to please older fanboys, as well as getting new ones and have something to build on for a further walk into the universe. Looking forward to the film, though with quite a sceptic eye. But I am hoping I'm in for a real treat.

Recently watched Little Shop of Horrors... Normally not much of a musical guy, but it was.. interesting and entertaining. Watched the version with the original, intended ending, not the focus group-approved ''good'' end, of course. Sweet animatronics works in this one, always a treat to see.

Does anyone remember the name of this semi-obscure martial arts movie where (if i remember correctly) a cat and a dog end up fighting each other?

Have you seen the original Roger Corman classic The Little Shop of Horrors, which Litte Shop of Horrors is based on? Totally recommended from me. It features Jack Nicholson is one of his first roles too. It was made for only $30k, and in true Roger Corman style it was made quick (2 days) and shot with the same sets used for Roger Corman's  A Bucket of Blood. A great film IMO. Well, both are great. Together they only cost $80k to make, which I find very impressive. Typical Roger Corman business. Legend!

Fun thing though is that the film made just for the sake of utilizing the set, The Little Shop of Horrors, is better than the film they made the sets for, A Bucket of Blood. I find that hilarious!

Ex Machina - Smart, clever and really interesting sci-fi thriller by first-time director Alex Garland who also wrote the film. While the film is very toned down and straight-forward, it offers much excitement throughout the film, and despite a rather limited budget it's visually stunning and every shot seems to have a purpose. Well-directed and acted, there's nothing not to enjoy here.

It's just a very, very good film.

Ex-Machina-2.jpeg

The Hateful Eight - What a huge disappointment. I'm not sure which one disappointed me more though, Tarantino or Morricone. When I first heard that Morricone would compose the soundtrack I was excited, then I heard that they would use mostly some left-overs of The Thing soundtrack and I was less excited, then I heard the music in the movie.... zZz.. How and where they used the music was horrible too.

Something I actually liked though were Walton Goggins and Jennifer Jason Leigh's performances. They were great. Also all the "Thing" references were a cool touch.