Neon

Last movie you saw.

Finally watched Crimson Peak.

Great progressive story and really beautiful outfits worn throughout the movie. Reminded me a lot of the Orphanage or Devil's Backbone in the use of the ghost. The sets were a little disappointing, I was expecting something along the lines of Hellboy II in intricacy of the mansion but at least they were well brought out in the final 10-20 mins. 

Finally watched Perdo Almodovar's Talk to Her. I remember seeing movie posters back when it was out in the cinemas here, but I suppose back then I thought it was bullshit and it didn't interest me. But now I see it in a totally different light. Overall tt's a really touching movie, and a bit weird in places, but I really enjoyed it, even though I did cry at certain moments. This is also my first Almodovar movie, and now I feel like watching some more of his work.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - I'mprobably the only one in the entire world to think this, but I honestly think this is a cool film. A nice action-adventure to go with your popcorn and soda. Nothing exceptional, nothing brilliant, but fun for what it is and easily one of the best films to be based on a video game. OK, so there's some very standard Hollywood-elements in this film, and I am thinking about the humour and romance which is very off for most part, but the action is good and the Ḥashshāshīn's are cool as fuck. At times they alsonail the whole Prince of Persia feeling, even though more often than not you don't feel like you're watching a Prince of Persia film because of the standard Hollywood cliches. But I like it. A 6/10 type of film. Enjoyable.

The soundtrack is very good as well. It helps creating that Prince of Persia feel that you want in a film like this.

prince_of_persia_the_sands_of_time_83-53

Moon - Beautiful sci-fi drama that's breathtaking in every way possible. There's enough nods to both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris here, but it has much of its own going on. The plot is lovely, its cinematography is beautiful and Sam Rockwell gives a brilliant performance. It's a calm film, but it's still suspenseful in a way and it manages to keep you both interested and on the tip of your seat for most of the film. Gorgeous film!

screenshot-med-29.jpg

Just came home from a movie marathon at my friend's place. A few of us got together and watched all three Back to the Future movies (in late honor of 2015/10/21 :)). Great stuff.

On the flights to and from the US recently I watched a few movies!  I saw Terminator Genesys, a Chinese movie called Wolf Warrior, Furious 7, Argo (second time seeing it) and some Japanese movie called Solomon's Perjury.

I liked them all.  Arnold is always fun to see on screen, the Chinese movie was actually pretty cool.  I'm not so familiar with Chinese film, but it was entertaining and funny.  Furious 7 was really good, always a good time with lots of action.  Argo is just awesome, and the Japanese movie was really creative.  A little slow but very creative, thought-provoking, and interesting.

Jurassic World - Far better than I had expected, but it just pales compared to the original, and let us be honest here; this is more a remake of the two first films than a sequel. It's basically a modern and updated version of the original. It's enjoyable for what it is. In fact I was very much entertained, but it's not something I'll rewatched very often. And a few things were just too stupid. Not sure what they were thinking. Anyway, I was entertained. A 7/10 type of film I guess. A weak 7, but a 7.

I did like the battle at the ending, though. Felt like a proper kaiju fight. Very surprising, but cool.

The most disappointing thing here is the amount of CGI. I could only spot a few scenes where they used cool, charming animatronic dinosaurs. The rest looked like CGI. Rather good CGI, but CGI nonetheless. It's a shame they didn't follow the original in it's use of practical/animatronic and CGI. It's basically the perfect recipie for how to use CGI.

150608103918-jurassic-world-training-780

Bear, I agree, I was really pleasantly surprised at how good Jurassic World was.  I like how they tied it into Jurassic Park, but I still wish some of the old cast, primarily Jeff Goldfblum and Sam Neil, would have made at least cameos.

Broken Horses

A good movie with great performances, create those very good tense climates , the script is very very very very very very very very simple but the direction is great, but script....méh.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron - To my big surprise I thought The Avengers was a good film, much because of the badassness of Captain America, so I was looking forward to this. It's not great film, and it is in many ways a worse film than the first, but it's a fun, action-packed film with non-stop action-comedy. That's basically all this film ha got going for it. But I proper enjoyed that, so I don't mind. But that's all it is as well.

But I have two big problems with the films:

1. The Romance. WHat the fuck was that? It's so forced and out of place, and where the hell wer ethe builup for this? It felt like it was suddenly there. It's just there out of nothing. Doesn't make much sense IMO.

2. My biggest problem with Age of Ultron is the same as with more or less all the MCU films: the villain is so underdeveloped, and they're not even close at utilizing the amazing potential of the villain. He's just there so we can see The Avengers fuck shit up, blow shit up and throw silly. but at times hilarious, one-lines in our face. I just don't get this at all. It's not like this is something that has happened once. It hapens again, again and again in these films. Why on earth aren't they trying to create better, more purpose-filled villains? He's just paper-thin to be honest. Such a shame, once again. I don't know, and I don't get it.

A 7/10 type of film. Not great, but nice entertainment on a mondnay evening.

552d9a15d7092.jpg

Manson Family Vacation - A really good drama-comedy about two brothers, their relationship, families and their view on families. The mix of drama and black comedy works really good, the two leads are superb and the dialogue is very, very good. It's a simple, straight-forward film, but a well-executed and fun film as well. Totally recommended!

A lot of simle-minded people seem to hate this for its Manson Familiy-themed plot, but this isn't about the Manson Family at all and there is no Manson glorifying anything at all. Don't believe the hate.

MANSONFAMILYVACATIONREVFEAT.jpg

Furious Seven - The Fast and the Furious franchise got a huge facelift with Fast Five, the fifth films in the series, and shifted focus from ugly cars, boring characters and disappointing action to badass characters, great action and lots of fun. They continued that with Fast & Furious 6, though it was a bit worse, and again continuing that with Furious Seven. With Furious Seven they've added the little that was good in the first one with everything that was great the last two films, making it the best film in the series till now, a pinky finger ahead of Fast Five. It's longer, more badass and a lot more over the top. This is actually one of the most over the top films I've ever seen in my entire life. And the cast is better than ever. Vin Diesel, The Rock, Djimon Hounsou, Kurt Russell, Jason Statham, Nathalie Emmanuel, Tony Jaa,

The biggest disappointment here is that they have Tony fucking Jaa featured, and he only gets to fight Paul Walker who is nowhere near a worthy opponent. I mean, you have one of the best modern martial arts stars at your hand and you're not even giving him a worthy opponent? Jesus, use him for all he's worth for fucks sake. The man is a god!

Another disappointment is that Ronda Rousey isn't given a worthy opponent as well. Such a shame.

But this was fun. This was very, very fun!

Also, when I saw James Wan was to direct this I was very disappointed. I'm a huge fan of the man, but I never thought he'd be able to pull off something like this. But he nailed it! Thought it was the sexies film in the franchise so far as well, the way it's shot and all. Looked really nice!

furious-seven.jpg?itok=fH8C2JB1

Rollerball - Very good dystopian sci-fi flick from the mid 70'. The game itself is fantastic, and as the film goes on the game just gets better and better, and the story and plot is very good as well. The vision is great, and a bit scary to be honest, but very interesting. Totally recommended film!

rollerball-1.jpg

This weekend I rewatched all Star Wars movies with my girlfriend. I used to think the Jedis are boring and the Siths are evil insane. Now I think the Jedis are necessary and I would like to become one, so that I would find peace of mind.

1990: The Bronx Warriors - One of many Italian post-apocalyptic rip offs made in the 80's, and it's also many to feature Fred Williason. This gem was directed by Enzo G. Castellari (The Inglorious Bastards, Keoma), and while it's ofted refered to as a (Mad) Maxloitation, but don't believe that. This film is a mix of The Warriors and Escape From New York, with a mit of Mad Max: The Road Warrior thrown in. And when I say mix, I mean rip off. This is just pure, shameless rip off, but it's fun rip off. Oh dear, this is so much fun. The amount of cheese found in this film is insane, and it's all so silly, bad and awful you just have to love it. Or, I do at least.

Fuck yeah, I thought this was amazing. It's not fine art, but damn is it entertaining! FIne trash cinema. 8/10

Vic Morrow and Fred Williamson are both god damn awesome!

1990_bronx_warriors1.jpg

Escape from the Bronx - This is the sequel, and while it isn't nearly as good as the original, it's still a shitload of fun. This feels a bit less cheesy, and plot-wise it's far from the first one. This film is 85 minutes long, and I'd say 70 minutes or so of them are a long shoot-em-up party. There's so much action here. You won't believe it before you see it, but it's fun! It's very, very, very fun! Silly, over the top and dumb fun. 7/10

Henry Silva is cool as fuck!

escapefromthebronx00032.jpg

Black Mass - Wow. Just wow. Can't remember when the last time was when I watched such a boring never-ending garbage of a movie. I mean, it's not horrible, just incredibly unremarkable, too long and lukewarm. Thank god for Johnny Depp tho, he was absolutely great! What an amazing and vile character (also props to his makeup team xD). The only saving grace of an otherwise completely forgettable biopic/gangster flick. If you really wanna watch something new and crime-related, Sicario is your best bet!

tumblr_nx5pqyXH2Y1tsg5k1o3_500.gif

2019: After the Fall of New York - Another Italian film from the post-apocalyptic boom in the early to mid 80's, by the very underrated Sergio Martino (The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, The Mountain of the Cannibal God). The film starts off as a Mad Max: The Road Warrior rip off, but it doesn't take long before is transforms to an Escape from New York rip off, and it does it well. This isn't very good filmmaking, but it's damn entertaining and up there with 1990: The Bronx Warriors. At times it's rather bloody/gory and nice as well. Very cool, very cheesy and of course  very, very trashy. Loved it!

hqdefault.jpg

As you know I'm a total martial arts-film freak, and Netflix have been pleasing me lately with the addition of a lot of martial arts films, especially the big classics from the 70-s to the mid-90's. But a lot of golden films after that as well. I'll just make a small list of some of what is currently available of badassness with my personal scores and whatever. We're taking plenty of the best martial arts flicks ever made here:

Come Drink With Me (10/10)

Shaolin Martial Arts (10/10)

5 Shaolin Masters (9/10)

Executioners from Shaolin (10/10)

Heroes of the East (10/10)

The Avenging Eagle (10/10)

Invincible Shaolin (9/10)

Crippled Avengers (10/10)

The Five Venoms (10/10) (better known as The Five Deadly Venoms)

The Kid with the Golden Arm (9/10)

Return to the 36th Chamber (8/10)

Disciples of the 36th Chambers (8/10)

Masked Avengers (9/10)

The Shaolin Temple (10/10)

The Shaolin Temple (10/10)

Martial Arts of Shaolin (8/10)

The Legend (8/10)

The Legend 2 (8/10)

Twin Warriors (8/10)

The Defender (8/10)

Iron Monkey (10/10)

Ip Man (9/10)

Ip Man 2 (8/10)

Dragon (8/10)

Ong Bak (9/10)

Chocolate (8/10)

A lot of the older ones here are Chang Cheh films, and he's THE man when it comes to martial arts films. Man was a brilliant director as far as martial arts films goes. A genius, and easily one of my all-time favourite. God! Superb man! Plenty of the Chang Cheh films also feature The Venom Mob, which is totally fucking cool! I can easily recommend all these films. Unless you're a martial arts freak as well you should quite obviously take my scores with a handful of salt, as I am a total fanboy of older martial arts films. Massive fanboy.

The Maze Runner - While not a very good film, this was actually quite enjoyable, especially considering it's another young adult book-to-film which tends to be shit. I especially enjoyed the first half of the film which was nice and dark, and you were just wonder why they were where they where. It feels a bit thin though, and the longer the film went on I just felt like they had used the majority of the plot in the first half of the film, and the second half were just there to add to the lenght of the film. It just got a bit thin. But all in all I thought this was a fairly enjoyable film, and way, way better than I had expected.

But I am actually looking forward to the sequel.

The-Maze-Runner-Movie-Gladers-Cast.jpg

Killers - Dark, gritty and a bit disturbing thriller by Indonesian directors The Mo Brothers (Macabre). This is a Japanese-Indonesian film and half of it goes on in Indonesia and the other half in Japan, and it utilizes Indonesian, Japanese and English language which feels a bit refreshing. It sure wasn't what I expected at all, but I really liked it. It's well-written, extremely well-acted by our leads Kazuki Kitamura and Oka Antara, as well as the supporting cast, especially Rin Takanashi, and the cinematography is gorgeous. Stylish and very brutal film. Totally recommended!

tumblr_nj1ttiAHIW1tcsh5go7_1280.jpg

Man from Reno - Breathtaking mystery-thriller by Dave Boyle with a good, unpredictable plot, a nice cast where our lead Ayako Fujitani is nothing short of brilliant, and the supporting acters such as Pepe Serna and Kazuki Kitamura also impresses a lot. Strong performances by all of them. The plot had me guessing from begining to end and it never stopped surprising me with its twists and turns and whatnot. It looks gorgeous as well. Just have a look at that opening scene. Looks so beautiful! Well, fuck this writing shit. Just watch it, guys! If you're into thrillers, mystery films or noirs this should be your cup of tea for sure.

And instant classic if you ask me, and a film I'll watch over and over and over again in the future. Masterpiece!

man-from-reno-514x514.jpg

Good Guys Wear Black - Fun action film by Ted Post (Magnum Force, Hang 'em HIgh) with Chuck Norris in the lead. It's not a very good film, but it's fun and gives you exactly what you'd expect from a Chuck Norris film. Lots of rounhouse kicks by Norris himself, and lots of fun for what it is. Bradinlead action-thriller.

good-guys-wear-black-1008553-t.jpg

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb - The third, and hopefully last, film in the Night at the Muesum series. But I don't say that because this was bad, because this is actually the best film of the series. I say it because it would be a shame to continue it without an always excellent Robin Williams, who actually gets a nice ending to his film career with this film. His last words and action in this film takes the entire spot-light, along with Mickey Rooney's cameo. This isn't great cinema, but it's fun for whatever it is.

Sir Camelot felt awfully forced, though and dragged down the film quite a bit. A 6/10 type of film. Nice for sunday mornings.

60153.jpg

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I quite liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes and was really looking forward to this, and it sure didn't disappoint. A lot better in every way. Everything is improved on, and it felt like a much more intelligent, smart and emotional film, like they've put a lot more thought and effort into it. The story is actually a lot better than what I had expected, and to my big surprise this is a lot more than just another action film drowned in special effects, simply because there's a big focus on story-telling.

I also felt like they managed to recapture some of the feeling of the original Planet of the Apes, without copying it or anything boring as that. It just felt like a proper Planet of the Apes film. Very impressive!

Andy Serkis is once again excellent. He deserves a lot more attention tha what he's gotten so far in his career. What a job that man has done in some of his film. Truly remarkable!

2014_07_10_14_55_03.jpg

^ "Dawn of..." is real good, I agree! The previous movie wasn't bad either, but this one totally takes the cake. Gotta love how they finally managed to make the apes look realistic.

I don't really care if the apes look realistic or not to be honest. It's all about how they act for me, and as well as how the film is build and where they have chosen to put their focus. But yeah, I did like how they looked and moved for most part. Looked very good.

The apes in the original Planet of the Apes isn't very realistic, but god damn I love the way they look and move. It's so cool. Immense film as well! Gotta rewatch it again soon with the sequels and TV-series as I haven't seen them all yet. And I suddenly felt like having an old school sci-fi marathon of some sort. Hmm. Interesting! :D

I went and saw "The Night Before" starring Seth Rogan, Joseph Gordan Levit, and Anthony Mackie the other night and it was pretty hillarious, although I'm a big fan of the whole Chrismas Stoner comedy thing so take that with a grain of salt xD Imo one of the funnier one I've seen in recent times and it has a good message in there somewhere between the mushroom induced halucinations and the stoner shenanigans.

Going to see "Creed" next weekend, hopping it's a good watch and hits me in the nolstagia sweetspot :D

Beasts of No Nation - Cary Joji Fukunaga returns to the screen after his classy and impressive work on True Detective, and he does it good. Beasts of No Nation is a powerful war-drama about a child soldier in an African country, and despite only featuring one big star, it's full of stars. Main-man, or should I say boy, Abraham Attah, is something else. This is his first time on the screen, but he comes off as someone who's done this a hundred times before, a most experienced boy. An impressive, powerful and touching performance, and Idris Alba is as good as ever. His performance is nothing but impressive here. He's simply scary here, and I am not kidding. He's terrifying! His portrait of a rebel leader is top, top, top notch. It's so powerful.

Top that with an overall strong and touching story, beautiful cinematography, lots of great actors and nice direction by Fukunaga, a man who's something like a prodigy. A unique man as far as directors goes.

This film is a must-see, and should be a part of every single human being's education because of its portrayal of child soldiers and their life. And of course for being a great film.

lead_960.jpg