Ito

25 Days of ChristMHas Discussion Thread - 2016

is the vk landscape truly so barren this year that we have to resort to putting greatest hits albums on our end of year lists? ;^)

@CAT5 & @beni, that Nakashima Ko clip sounds like it would be perfect for a futuristic themed mixtape that I'm currently constructing. What's your favorite track off of TAXIS that would fit into this kind of theme?

@Tokage you may actually be surprised by this list in a week or two. The good stuff always comes out in the second half.

Hell, I'm not complaining about the majority of the content that's appeared so far (I hadn't even heard of that TAXIS ep before but it sounds smooth as hell based off the samples for example), I'm just surprised to see a greatest hits album appear on an ''end of year'' list considering there's usually sort of a stigma attached to releases like that

14 hours ago, Tokage said:

is the vk landscape truly so barren this year that we have to resort to putting greatest hits albums on our end of year lists? ;^)

Well, it contained actual rerecordings and two new songs, so it wasn't a throw-away compilation album like some "greatest hits" releases can be. That's why it made the cut this year.

TGADS, aaaaaaye! The original addle apple is such an epic mini. I need to spend more time with after the addle apple though. Granted, I only listened like twice, but I guess I was taken aback by the fact that I couldn't really recognize any remnants of the original songs. It looks like I need to give it more listens with the understanding that these are basically brand-new songs, rather than simple updates/rerecordings!

On 12/3/2016 at 5:57 PM, CAT5 said:

I really enjoyed this TAMTAM album, and It's a welcome return to form. I don't think the sound they were going for previously was "bad", but I don't think it was for them. I think they realized that too.

Cat, I was curious what you were referring to exactly with "previously". Did you mean TAMTAM's previous releases (For Bored Dancers and Strange Tomorrow)? And that this new album was a "return to form" of what TAM TAM (before the name change) did?

I acknowledge that "CLIMAX" was kinda weak (that piano, ugh), but I realized that one of the things missing on the new album for me was the cool shoegazey guitar sound from tracks like "デイドリーアンドマリー" and "エンターキー". NEWPOESY is groovy, but it feels a bit too safe/clean without that guitar sound, imo.

Yay, DIV! I really enjoyed that DIV ep, and even rated it fairly high early in the year, but unfortunately it kinda fell by the wayside for me as the year progressed. Still great to see them get a mention. It's a shame that they disbanded, as I felt they were on the precipice of a new sound, and really wanted to see where they'd take it. R.I.P!

On 12/10/2016 at 6:51 AM, Zeus said:

@CAT5 & @beni, that Nakashima Ko clip sounds like it would be perfect for a futuristic themed mixtape that I'm currently constructing. What's your favorite track off of TAXIS that would fit into this kind of theme?

"dramatic", "utssemi", and "OYOGU", definitely!

1 hour ago, fitear1590 said:

Cat, I was curious what you were referring to exactly with "previously". Did you mean TAMTAM's previous releases (For Bored Dancers and Strange Tomorrow)? And that this new album was a "return to form" of what TAM TAM (before the name change) did?

I acknowledge that "CLIMAX" was kinda weak (that piano, ugh), but I realized that one of the things missing on the new album for me was the cool shoegazey guitar sound from tracks like "デイドリーアンドマリー" and "エンターキー". NEWPOESY is groovy, but it feels a bit too safe/clean without that guitar sound, imo.

Yep, that's basically what I was getting at. I thought the band found their sweet spot with "Polarize", so the direction they took after that was a bit jarring for me. I thought climax sounded like they're attempt at anison, or at least something more overtly poppy, and while there's nothing wrong with going that route (i love anison stuff XD), I don't think it was a sound that played to their strengths.

And YESSSS. Thanks for making that point about the guitar! I also felt that NEWPOESY felt really "safe" in a way...the production is clean to the point that's it's sterile. Spicing things up with more guitar would have been nice. And although I said NEWPOESY is a return to form, I think it's also a step forward for them in a ways too. They've gone back to a more..."natural", dubby style, but there's more r&b/soul vibes on this album than before too!

Enjoyed the hell out of that Chanty mini, definitely one of the highlights of 2016 for me as well! Those strong bass lines just made it so easy for me to like it.

That Chanty mini-album was dope. I've heard some of their stuff before, but it wasn't until this mini that I was completely sold on them. The indie-rock VK thing they're doing is a delight.

Speaking of indie-rock, I've been less impressed with this scene's output this year, but I really enjoyed  Koochewsen  (+ Pelican Fanclub + Kankaku Piero).  お願いUFO blew my mind and ぼくのことすき was such a spacey nostalgic jam!

Unfortunately, try as I might  I could not get into DIV's last mini. I wish I would have liked it more and think more fondly of it, what with it being their last work and all. But ZERO ONE still reigns supreme.

I could not get into that god and death stars mini either. I generally liked their stuff quite a lot, I enjoyed this too, but not quite as much as I'd hoped. I'll try giving it more listens.

Edited by saltofstones

KEEL is another band I really really dig, but just like with tgads' mini album, this release left me kinda 'meh'. It is pretty nice tho, just kinda more of the same, without the usual memorable impact (for me at least). Not bad still!

i'm kinda late on all of these but that kashiwa daisuke track is very beautiful~! <33

i never really went through any of his stuff, despite seeing his name around a lot. it seems like i'll have to do that now!

wouldn't say tgads' new mini is their best either, or lined up with their other stuff, but it's not bad. my favorites are after the addle apple and elephant in the room.

i haven't been keeping up with keel so i'll need to check out that album too~ their first release didn't leave me much of an impression tbh (haven't checked out the 2nd mini yet either), but maybe i'll find something i like in this one.

Edited by plastic_rainbow

On 10/12/2016 at 11:37 AM, Tokage said:

Was thinking the same, then I gave Versailles a chance and... Well, I was surprised! (I have to mention I've been a fan until "Holy Grail", then kinda lost them as they were sounding repetitive and dull.)