Sign in to follow this  
enyx

Does anyone else here experience Synaesthesia?

Does anyone else here experience Synaesthesia? In other words, do they subconsciously associate letters, numbers and/or words (or even other things like musical notes) with different colours? If so, what colours do people associate different things with? For example, in my head I associate the following days with the corresponding colours:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

I guess I'm just curious to see how common/uncommon this is and what other people associate with different things.

4 hours ago, Pho said:

Does anyone else here experience Synaesthesia? In other words, do they subconsciously associate letters, numbers and/or words  (or even other things like musical notes) with different colours? If so, what colours do people associate different things with? For example, in my head I associate the following days with the corresponding colours:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

I guess I'm just curious to see how common/uncommon this is and what other people associate with different things.

In this case, I only associate red with Friday, Saturday and Sunday, because these are my favorite color and my favorite days <3

I split this topic out of the random topics thread because I thought it was interesting enough to be it's own thing. Yay \o/

I think I experience this phenomenon with computer science concepts but I've never gotten professionally evaluated for it. I think in colors and shapes. Problems have their own individual shapes and I see the solutions to the problems as jigsaw pieces on top of the shape, color coded to denote how long it would take and brightness how hard it would be for me to do. It happened today in the office when I was trying to explain how to take unstructured data and force structure on it; I took as many markers to the board as I could and started drawing colors and shapes and creating a key so everyone knew what everything meant. There were also words and numbers in the steps written with a totally neutral color so I could read it at a glance. It was a colorful explosion of abstract shapes no one but me could follow but when I was done I could actually see on the board what I was thinking in my head.

I don't get any special reaction when I think of numbers, letters, or days of the week. But start throwing mathematical problems at me and my brain just goes.

Actual serious reply:

I have a question to the people with synaesthesia who may or may not be out there, because I've always wondered about this sort of thing.. Does the color/smell/image or whatever associated with something change per person, or are there things which have like an association that's agreed upon?

Also, any people out there who can ''taste'' things? If so, I'd like to hear some more about that.

I'm not really sure if it counts as synaesthesia.. it probably does not, cuz I feel like it's something everyone does to some extent, but I do get very strong and vivid imagery in my head when I listen to music, be it just solid colors or sometimes something more detailed

43 minutes ago, Tokage said:

I'm not really sure if it counts as synaesthesia.. it probably does not, cuz I feel like it's something everyone does to some extent, but I do get very strong and vivid imagery in my head when I listen to music, be it just solid colors or sometimes something more detailed

Yeeeah I go through the same thing. I'm not even sure how to explain this, but sometimes I feel I enjoy a song/album more if it evokes colors and/or imagery in my head quicker. There are also the times where a cover art will create live as I listen to an album, making it a more unique experience of some sort. I don't know.

In regards to actual synaesthesia, I think I do experience it, but to a lesser extent. I feel like I do, but I can't really remember off the top of my head any examples I could give. I'm making no sense whatsoever in this message geez

i have 2 friends with perfect pitch who always tell me how annoying it is to not be able to 'unlearn' that skill. i think it's pretty much the same case with synaesthesia, although i don't know enough about it to know if it can also be the result of subconscious drives that, with time, associate e.g. certain days of the week with certain colors (as in the case of Pho), or it's purely owing to being biologically 'hard-wired' differently (which has more or less been established to be the case for people with perfect pitch). i guess there are borderline cases as well.

discussing this topic reminds me of the indian mathematician S. Ramanujan. that guy probably saw numbers in an entirely different light (as colors? idk) from everyone else who had learned them through systematic understanding and logical deduction, etc. it's fascinating how he practically discovered millenia worth of mathematical proofs and results on his own before his tragically early death; today, mathematicians are still studying his late notebooks while constantly stumbling upon proofs of mathematical structures that haven't even been named when Ramanujan was alive.

Edited by hiroki

11 hours ago, Zeus said:

I think I experience this phenomenon with computer science concepts but I've never gotten professionally evaluated for it. I think in colors and shapes. Problems have their own individual shapes and I see the solutions to the problems as jigsaw pieces on top of the shape, color coded to denote how long it would take and brightness how hard it would be for me to do. It happened today in the office when I was trying to explain how to take unstructured data and force structure on it; I took as many markers to the board as I could and started drawing colors and shapes and creating a key so everyone knew what everything meant. There were also words and numbers in the steps written with a totally neutral color so I could read it at a glance. It was a colorful explosion of abstract shapes no one but me could follow but when I was done I could actually see on the board what I was thinking in my head.

I don't get any special reaction when I think of numbers, letters, or days of the week. But start throwing mathematical problems at me and my brain just goes.

That's really interesting. I have to admit that I don't know anywhere near enough about this topic to be able to say whether that counts as synaesthesia or not. I only recently discovered that it's considered abnormal to experience this sort of thing at all. From my basic understanding though, it's not a learned process but something that comes instinctively/naturally. Is that something you taught yourself to do or is it just something that naturally started occurring? If it's the latter then it might be an example of synaesthesia.

7 hours ago, Tokage said:

I have a question to the people with synaesthesia who may or may not be out there, because I've always wondered about this sort of thing.. Does the color/smell/image or whatever associated with something change per person, or are there things which have like an association that's agreed upon?

It's different from person to person. For example, this person associates a completely different set of colours with the different days of the week to me. I have no experience with synaesthetsia relating to other senses other than the perception of colour being associated with certain word or letters (not that I'm aware of at least), nor do I know anybody that does, but I'd assume it's the same for those too.

5 hours ago, Pho said:

That's really interesting. I have to admit that I don't know anywhere near enough about this topic to be able to say whether that counts as synaesthesia or not. I only recently discovered that it's considered abnormal to experience this sort of thing at all. From my basic understanding though, it's not a learned process but something that comes instinctively/naturally. Is that something you taught yourself to do or is it just something that naturally started occurring? If it's the latter then it might be an example of synaesthesia.

It's different from person to person. For example, this person associates a completely different set of colours with the different days of the week to me. I have no experience with synaesthetsia relating to other senses other than the perception of colour being associated with certain word or letters (not that I'm aware of at least), nor do I know anybody that does, but I'd assume it's the same for those too.

I've always been able to do it for as long as I've been messing around with theoretical maths. That wasn't until 6 or 7 years ago. I'm not as nice as S. Ramanujan though :(

EDIT: I suddenly remember the first time it ever happened to me and what I was doing at the time.

Sign in to follow this