CAT5

Things you never (or seldom) hear in Japanese music

I can only add Dazzle T & Quicky to the list, because they also had some drum and bass songs, but as I can see, they've only released some 12"s - according to Discogs.

NECRO'ING THIS THREAD

So yeah, Japan is in dire need of soul and neo-soul (I'm thinking mostly along the lines of Erykah Badu, Amel Larrieux, Jill Scott, Alice Russell, Bilal, Quadron, etc etc). There are quite a few soulful Japanese singers out there, but they usually fall into other genres and I shed tears everytime I think about it.

Things you never hear VK bands say:

Hey guys, let's ditch all the diluted metalcore stuff and try something else for a change!

I think this 6-type release marketing scheme is absolutely vile and preposterous.

I guess I'll just sing without a loud-as-fuck backing track for once, it can't be that hard.

I'm glad that our sole guitarist also decided to rearrange his 4 simultaneous guitar lines into one, so that he won't have to resort to playback either.

sorry i had to 

Guest mitsu the indie girl

I know rap music exists in Japan, but it doesn't seem to be very common. 

But...also I may be very mistaken lol

I know rap music exists in Japan, but it doesn't seem to be very common. 

But...also I may be very mistaken lol

It's actually very common, although the bulk of it isn't very mainstream outside of some isolated, major-label acts. Hell, there's even an idol-rap group lol.

^ *idol-rap groupS (yes, in plural form).

Also...I haven't heard much (read: basically at all) bluegrass music in Japanese music.

OKAY, there's of course one popular instance in vk (which many misinterpret as "country"), but yeah - very seldom stuff out there:

It's been a while since I've explored new Japanese music, but does Japan have that many raspy, Eddie Vedder-ish sounding vocalists, or any 90's grunge-sounding stuff in general (like Alice in Chains, Audioslave, etc.)?

It's been a while since I've explored new Japanese music, but does Japan have that many raspy, Eddie Vedder-ish sounding vocalists, or any 90's grunge-sounding stuff in general (like Alice in Chains, Audioslave, etc.)?

it's not quite up there, but the guys from "byee the round"

and "nothing is carved in stone"

are quite raspy.

most filth in the voice would be (both) singers of church of misery, but they're quite stoner-y

but yes, it's quite the rare sight

downtempo deathcore. also 'groovy' brutal deathcore

Edited by blackdoll

Wouldn't uptempo just be death metal? I thought the downtempo/breakdowns is the difference between death metal and deathcore? But if I were to guess I assume you mean like Break Your Fist? Or Arise in Stability, Each of the Days, bilo'u, NOTIIBELIKESOMEONE?

pardon my words but ahhhh nooo! to weak not heavy enough and not slow enough either. heres some  BLACK TONGUE  Restrains Shivers

Arise in Stability, is my band though

pardon my words but ahhhh nooo! to weak not heavy enough and not slow enough either. heres some  BLACK TONGUE  Restrains Shivers

Arise in Stability, is my band though

Ahhh, I guess the "groovy" bit confused me because where I'm from, we call stuff like Black Tongue and Shivers "Sludge Metal" not "Deathcore". I wouldn't really call Restrains deathcore, either... more Progressive Hardcore than anything (I don't hear any death influence at all, tbh??? Or maybe it's just that particular song.) I'm from Tampa so I may be kind of picky, growing up with Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel as staples here might have shaped my idea of what death metal is.

But in any case, yeah I think you're right. I definitely haven't heard many bands that make sludge downtempo their primary sound coming out of Japan. Though I'm hearing it in quite a few breakdowns so there's gotta be something good on the way soon. lol.

Ahhh, I guess the "groovy" bit confused me because where I'm from, we call stuff like Black Tongue and Shivers "Sludge Metal" not "Deathcore". I wouldn't really call Restrains deathcore, either... more Progressive Hardcore than anything (I don't hear any death influence at all, tbh??? Or maybe it's just that particular song.) I'm from Tampa so I may be kind of picky, growing up with Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel as staples here might have shaped my idea of what death metal is.

But in any case, yeah I think you're right. I definitely haven't heard many bands that make sludge down tempo their primary sound coming out of Japan. Though I'm hearing it in quite a few breakdowns so there's gotta be something good on the way soon. lol.

i not good at genres but i dont think downtempo has to do with deathmetal. i think its just that heavy slow feeling to the song which i got from Restrains. yeah the bands or some of the bands where deathcore but 'groovy' brutal deathcore was separate thats why i put a comma and. by that i really just meant a type new deathcore Overlooker Victim Of Depravity  its groovy for me.

lucky you i grew up on shitty music, found vkei and j-rock, loved it but after hearing heavyer stuff i craved brutal and japan wasn't cutting it. Today i love brutal: deathcore, Beatdown, and deathmetal. i find some wearker bands good here and there. I think i have a thing for slams though murufufu

i not good at genres but i dont think downtempo has to do with deathmetal. i think its just that heavy slow feeling to the song which i got from Restrains. yeah the bands or some of the bands where deathcore but 'groovy' brutal deathcore was separate thats why i put a comma and. by that i really just meant a type new deathcore Overlooker Victim Of Depravity  its groovy for me.

lucky you i grew up on shitty music, found vkei and j-rock, loved it but after hearing heavyer stuff i craved brutal and japan wasn't cutting it. Today i love brutal: deathcore, Beatdown, and deathmetal. i find some wearker bands good here and there. I think i have a thing for slams though murufufu

Oooooooooooooh. I see what I did. I just mashed your entire statement together. OTL Sorry!

Right so now that I fully understand what you meant. Yes, I never hear downtempo/Sludge stuff coming out of Japan much, but I have a feeling it's around, it's just not on youtube. 

As for stuff like Overlooker... There is Cyanide Christ or Dyingrace (though production is not near as good and I don't think either band is still together atm), but it's slim pickings for things that downtuned deathcore and still kinda sludg-y that I'm able to come up with. It seems like a lot of your bands here are Russian. Must be a good scene there for this kind of stuff? 

Personally, I came up around a lot of death metal but it's not really high on my list of favorite genres, I much prefer hardcore, post hardcore, metalcore stuff.

Oooooooooooooh. I see what I did. I just mashed your entire statement together. OTL Sorry!

Right so now that I fully understand what you meant. Yes, I never hear downtempo/Sludge stuff coming out of Japan much, but I have a feeling it's around, it's just not on youtube. 

As for stuff like Overlooker... There is Cyanide Christ or Dyingrace (though production is not near as good and I don't think either band is still together atm), but it's slim pickings for things that downtuned deathcore and still kinda sludg-y that I'm able to come up with. It seems like a lot of your bands here are Russian. Must be a good scene there for this kind of stuff? 

Personally, I came up around a lot of death metal but it's not really high on my list of favorite genres, I much prefer hardcore, post hardcore, metalcore stuff.

can give some Sludge bands i wanna see if its the same as downtempo. ummm those bands are working for me, nice though. and yeahh im kind of a slut when it comes to russian and this kind of music because usally i like what i find. My fav j-metal band right now is Infernal Revulsion, they seem to be the only brutal band left. but if Lycaon goes back which it looks like they might they will be my number one.

Never heard of a Japanese stoner rock band.  But, then again, someone told me the drug laws in Japan are hella strict, I don't know.  Maybe  beachcore (lol idk what the genre is called) like DIIV or Best Coast?

Never heard of a Japanese stoner rock band.

Sadly, there aren't many. There's ETERNAL ELYSIUM, Church of Misery, and then some stuff by Boris. There was another, really obscure band too, but I can't recall their name atm.

Sadly, there aren't many. There's ETERNAL ELYSIUM, Church of Misery, and then some stuff by Boris. There was another, really obscure band too, but I can't recall their name atm.

there's also gomnupers

(hey, his t-shirt even says "stoner" :P )

and perhaps knellt

but both border pretty deep into metal i guess, and i suspect it's damn hard to find any releases by them

^ you just reminded me that there's also Green Machine (last.fm's default pic is of the wrong band tho)

there's also gomnupers

but both border pretty deep into metal i guess, and i suspect it's damn hard to find any releases by them

Double post, but apparently I have an album by this band. Looks like another case of musical alzheimer's as a result of hoarding too much stuff.

Double post, but apparently I have an album by this band. Looks like another case of musical alzheimer's as a result of hoarding too much stuff.

i remember there once was one by them here (or maybe back on TW) with some riddicculous name "be defeated by the heavieness of this riff" or sth along those lines.

(i might have an album by the other band perhaps^^)

i remember there once was one by them here (or maybe back on TW) with some riddicculous name "be defeated by the heavieness of this riff" or sth along those lines.

(i might have an album by the other band perhaps^^)

Yeah, that's the one I posted. "This riff defeats a line of the people who line up a Chinese noodle shop" LOL. Will repost it again