Lestat

The Great Nostalgia Thread

What songs take you back in time? Your youth? Embarassing moments, moments of love, life — friendship or music that reminds you of simple accomplishments, anything goes. What's still stuck in your head after all this time? 

Psychotic 4 - Breaking Out

I discovered this band somewhere around my time on Myspace. A friend of mine and I made it a contest of who could find the most neo-glam rock guys on the website and alongside this activity we also discovered a lot of bands. Naturally, I crushed on the blond guitarist. This song often pops up in my head out of nowhere, and when I go back, I still enjoy it.

I made a really quick preview xD

Let me begin with my first song ever, the song I meet music and like it all start. This was around 2001 or 2002.

After a few listens looking for a band I would like, Green Day came on me with their album American Idiot (2004) which made me a rock lover and what I'm now.

During my whole school period and personal life I was motivated by Green Day, MCR and Fall Out Boy, which of course were in good and bad moments of my life.

In 2006-2007, I first meet the japanese music, with nightmare. But nothing really change, so in 2011, I meet BORN with DEMONS , the magic and destiny was made.

I learned how to headbang and how fun metal is. also i was a lil badass

^^ seeing Daft Punk (especially that MV) and MCR makes my inner nostalgia kid sob so hard. Talk about tearjerking reminiscences (note: this is not a negative comment) :(

Throughout my childhood (way up until everyone sold out) I have grown up with MTV instead of a well-behaving mommie's lil' angel boy (oh god how cringeworthy is that). So don't expect any surprises (especially those from the States) in case you notice some:

I used to have a crush on Aaliyah waaayyy back then (late 90s/early 00s?) :( RIP.

...LOL, I still adore this song :D

It's like 2002 is happening once again!

I really loved French electro/house, and maybe still do.

Yeah yeah, everyone hated this song back then (at least here in Finland) :(

YASSSSSS

Strike a pose!

The very first Chinese (or Taiwanese? Idk) song of mine - I used to adore "Wind and Cloud" so much...

Lagutenko was one of my very first biases (along with Brian Molko) back in the day - Pulp-meets-Suede-isms to the max hehehe.

My mum used to play me Enya albums as lullabies...hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZBMxt0GPM
No matter what kind of school I attended - this was always the staple practice song for music lessons. As my Polish mate would say - KANA SE POIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLz3ia7TFqM
This is not annoying - also: JET SET RAAAAAADIOOOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY
*digs his own copy of "Jagged Little Pill"*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifkisE7H2k
Of course I'd bring up Brian Molko here, what?

I am sorry, got too overexcited.

I used to have Aqua's "Aquarium" album on cassette when I was a kid. I listened to it like crazy on my Walkman since it was one of the only tapes I had that I actually liked all the way through and it was such a pain rewinding and fast-forwarding between songs. The videos haven't aged well, but I still think the songs are so much fun.

Here are a few that come to mind for me. I remember hearing/listening to these a lot growing up:

OutKast - Elevators (Me & You)

This song came out in 1996, so I was 9 years old and in elementary school at the time. This was also a few years before they became a REALLY big, crossover act. Being from the same city as Outkast, I distinctly remember a few lines from this song that might have stood out to other locals too. Andre raps "Where me and my nigga rode the Marta, through the hood" - 'Marta' is the name of the public transportation system here. He also raps "We caught the 86, Lithonia headed to Decatur"...Decatur is where I was born and I currently reside in Lithonia :lol:

Goodie Mob - Cell Therapy

Another hip-hop group from my home city, who were also closely associated with Outkast. This song was out in 1995, so it also reminds me of my youth, and just a completely different time in general. iirc, my eldest sister actually owned the album this was on. I had no idea what this song was about as a kid, but all i know was the chorus was catchy and everyone loved cee-lo's verse. I can still appreciate this song as an adult, though, especially since I have a much better grasp of the lyrics.

Two-mix - Rhythm Emotion

The second opening theme song from the Gundam Wing anime. This series debuted in the United States in the year 2000, so I had to be in middle school. I hadn't actually heard all of the song, since it was broadcast on Cartoon Network's toonami and they replaced the original theme songs for us murricans. But pieces of the song did play during a few episodes. I was completely enamored with it, and it became one of the very first songs I burned to CD. And thus began my long descent into unbridled weeabooism. don't judge my adolescent self  :lol:

That's it for now. I may return to waffle on about more later ; )

Namie Amuro's toi et moi

This was the first song I ever listened to (as opposed to heard) and it got me into Pokémon music and got me interested in Japan in general. I first listened to it in 2006 on a bootleg Pokémon CD I got in China.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wfI-QPTnIas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was my first exposure to visual kei. I stumbled upon it while looking for theme songs of Japanese horror movies.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jYEPl2uIAwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first GazettE song I listened to. Out of about 60 or 70 songs in my theme song playlist, only a couple artists stood out to me. This was one of them. Hearing this song really changed my life.

Edit: The 2nd and 3rd songs are Kagrra's 呪葬 (Jusou) and the GazettE's 千鶴 (Chizuru). Don't know how to embed videos.

Great Thread as I am a sucker for nostalgia trips.

Since this page features Japanese music, I will start off with the nostalgic tracks that introduced me to my love of Japanese music.

Bump of Chicken - 天体観測 [Tentai Kansoku]

I moved from Southern California to Okinawa Japan during my sophmore year of high school in 2001. At school I quickly made friends with a half Japanese-half American friend, Charles (AKA Cha), who introduced me to Japanese culture, music, movies, food - you name it. One of our favorite past times was to go to the local Arcade after school and play Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania together. This game introduced me to many of my first Japanese favorites, such as Hide (Rocket Dive), Hitomi Yaida (Andante; My Sweet Darling), the Blue Hearts (Train-Train) and Penecillin (Romance). However, the song that resonated most with me and was our favorite to play together was 天体観測 [Tentai Kansoku] by Bump of Chicken. After hearing this song, I bought the Flame Vein EP and Jupiter album soon after, and fell in love with every song from both records. To this day - those songs all take me back to that time.

ケツメイシ [Ketsumeishi] - トモダチ [Tomodachi]

Due to the fact I lived in Okinawa, ケツメイシ [Ketsumeishi] songs were ubiquitous. The group was from the island, and Cha adored them. Due to the fact the group had multiple emcees in every song, Me, Cha, and my other good friend Shawn would pick an member to sing as at Karaoke, and would sing their songs together. For us, Friday nights were defined by Karaoke. Our small group of friends would fit into a small Japanese Karaoke room and sing out throats sore, and this song was always the last one on the playlist to sing together. It became our anthem, and now that I am older, and our friends are spread all over the globe in different palces, the lyrics hit so close they make me cry for those times again. It is a song that pierces my emotions - and makes me miss my best friends - friends I will probably never see again.

Dir en grey - Ain't Afraid to Die

After my friends and I became infatuated with Japanese music from Guitar Freaks/Drum Mania and Karaoke, I knew that I wanted to find other artists to listen to with more of a hard rock edge that I loved. As a result, I started going to blogs and internet pages about Japanese Rock, and started listening to the classic artists of 90s VK, such as X-Japan (from my love of Hide), Luna Sea, L'arc~en~ciel, Siam Shade, Janne Da Arc, and Gackt. In the English speaking blogs I joined, these groups were among the most popular - but when I saw the song of the week on one site as Ain't Afraid to Die by Dir en grey, I fell in love with the song. It was darker and more melancholy than the other artists, and I was transfixed by it. Once Kisou 鬼葬 [Kisou] was released in 2002, I bought it immediately - and I fell in love with it. From that day, I was obsessed with Diru and bought all of their past work, and eagerly awaiting every subsequent release. If it was not for this song, I never would have gotten into VK or bought albums by my other early favorites, like Mucc, D'espairsRay, and the GazettE after reading magazines like Fool's mate and Shoxxx in music stores.

The rest is history. Now over half my music collection is Japanese. All because of these three songs most likley.

Even though I was born towards the later period of 1980s, I remember these music videos or songs because my dad had tapes of recorded music videos off of MTV and used them to babysit me.  As most of the videos were glam metal bands, it kind of "help" me over come the crazy fashion of late 1990s VK bands.

This song probably one of the earliest exposure I had to anything "J-rock".  I didn't know O'Hashi Takashi (aka Jail O'Hashi of Seikima II) was Japanese and thought he was either Native American or Hawaiian.

This could have been any Cinderella video, but this is the one I clearly remember getting a huge crush on Tom Keifer and Eric Brittingham.  This is hands down where I got my "older man" complex.

My best friend's mom was a groupie for this band back in the day and named my best friend after them.  I often joked with her when we were younger which guy was her biological dad.  She still gets mad when I tease her about it.

When I was younger, if it wasn't KISS's Revenge album getting played all of time by my dad, it was EZO's Fire Fire.  Again, I didn't know they were Japanese and thought they were Native Americans when I was young.  I also had a massive crush on Yamada Masaki and was determined to marry him.  I crushed hard on Masaki until I got into X Japan and was researching related bands and found out how he looks now.  I was super shocked to say the least.

Like I said earlier, KISS' Revenge was played a lot when it was first release as my father was a HUGE KISS fan.  Even so many years of not hearing any songs by them, I can still sing most of the lyrics correctly with no problem.  I got sent home early from school with a note for bringing in inappropriate music after taking the Revenge album to school for "bring your own music" day in my music class.

Even though I was born towards the later period of 1980s, I remember these music videos or songs because my dad had tapes of recorded music videos off of MTV and used them to babysit me.  As most of the videos were glam metal bands, it kind of "help" me over come the crazy fashion of late 1990s VK bands.

This could have been any Cinderella video, but this is the one I clearly remember getting a huge crush on Tom Keifer and Eric Brittingham.  This is hands down where I got my "older man" complex.

I was born in '91, but I had a similar experience with glam metal bands because there was a show on the channel MuchMoreMusic called "Power Hour" that was geared towards 80s-early 90s rock and metal fans, and one day I saw Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild" video and got hooked on it. I used to tape each episode of it so I could rewatch any videos I liked later. That Cinderella video was one of my favourites as well.

The biggest bands for me were definitely Skid Row, L.A. Guns, Hanoi Rocks and Pantera though.

I had such a crush on Phil Lewis because of this video:

Cowboys from Hell-era Phil Anselmo was also absurdly dreamy.

I was born in '91, but I had a similar experience with glam metal bands because there was a show on the channel MuchMoreMusic called "Power Hour" that was geared towards 80s-early 90s rock and metal fans, and one day I saw Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild" video and got hooked on it. I used to tape each episode of it so I could rewatch any videos I liked later. That Cinderella video was one of my favourites as well.

The biggest bands for me were definitely Skid Row, L.A. Guns, Hanoi Rocks and Pantera though.

I had such a crush on Phil Lewis because of this video:

Skid Row, L.A. Guns, and Hanoi Rocks are some of my top favorites, too.  Rip and Tear is where I remember getting a crush on Phil and Kelly Nickels.  I'm actually friends with Phil, so when I met him for the first time, I had to tell him that I had a huge crush on him when I was little.  When I went drinking with Phil a couple months back after a show, he had to tease me about my crush on him. 

Music wasn't something I'd been interested in much in the past... when I first was introduced to anything it was classic rock my parents liked... didn't appeal to me.

The neighbors listened to rammstein, and that definitely didn't appeal to me.

Everyone in school listened to rap and such, didn't appeal to me.

The first music I ever truly liked, was when I were 12, solely songs from none other than this lovely man.

I still occasionally dig out some CD's and gives them a spin.

It wasn't until I first heard japanese being sung that I really got interested in music, around when I were 15, this particular song being the culprit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_L6fsWvO0

That's probably my biggest guilty pleasures, along with other songs by Megumi Hayashibara and Yui Horie.

MUCC takes the price for moving my attention away from all that girly pop music.

Later on, I recall my mom still dreads the day I got into music with screaming and growling <3

Libra is my biggest nostalgia trip... such a simple time for me back then... yet it wasn't even all that long ago, I do not remember if I was still 15, or had just hit 16.

Skid Row, L.A. Guns, and Hanoi Rocks are some of my top favorites, too.  Rip and Tear is where I remember getting a crush on Phil and Kelly Nickels.  I'm actually friends with Phil, so when I met him for the first time, I had to tell him that I had a huge crush on him when I was little.  When I went drinking with Phil a couple months back after a show, he had to tease me about my crush on him. 

How old are you if you're friends with Phil, if I may ask? 

I had tons of glam-rock guys crushes when I was younger. Now it sizzled down a little and the only man I am still perpetually infatuated with is Paul Stanley. I just can't get enough of him. That man just has everything. 

There used to be some guys, heh. Mainly Sebastian Bach, Axl Rose, Vince Neil and Richie Sambora. 

Axl Rose was my first real crush, ever. I think I discovered Guns N' Roses around age eight or nine (the time when my parents separated, and both my stepmother and stepfather influenced me with hard rock). I remember spending hours simply looking at his picture and not doing much else. I can't bear to look at the man nowadays though, he changed for the worst, both in appearance as well as in voice.

Now, Sebastian Bach... that was something else. My room was covered in Skid Row. I went through hell and back to find their merchandise, old posters from the eighties, new posters published through fake-ass websites. I had my first experience with buying merchandise from Japan through them because at that time that was the only country in which I could find all of their VHS tapes and DVDs. Practically, I lived and breathed Skid Row. I was part of Sebastian Bach's forum at that time and sometimes he even participated on there as well, which was a huge thing. I think I eventually had about three-thousand posts on there and couldn't be stopped. I still haven't seen him live, though. He performed in the Netherlands a couple of times but this was after my huge initial crushing on him. Now it simmered down and I can just call myself a regular fan of his music. Not his attitude.

Vince Neil was more of a comical crush. He's simply adorable, he still is. There's not much explaining I have to do on Mötley Crüe in general. They are amazing, and they will continue to be amazing after their disbandment.

Oh, Richie, Richie. After Axl and Sebastian, this guy came along. Not commonly known among the general person for being the now ex-lead guitarist for Bon Jovi as the band's namesake would generally draw the fame and attention to himself, but this man is a true legend. With a voice ten times as powerful as Jon's and fingers driven by blues as they sear over his guitar, it was easy for my eyes and ears to be drawn away from Jon and to this guy instead. He was just hot. Can't say more about it.

^Sebastian was one of my absolute favourite singers for years, but I've never seen him live either. I actually bought a ticket for one of his solo shows a few years back, but he cancelled it at the last minute, and pretty soon after that his voice started sounding really shot, so I've basically decided that I'm not going to bother unless there's a miraculous Skid Row reunion or something at this point. I still think his older work is great, and I admire his enthusiasm, but his immaturity is definitely off-putting.

I've never seen any version of L.A. Guns live either. I love Phil's voice, but I just feel like it would be odd to see them without Tracii, and vice-versa. Plus I was most in love with the band around the release of Waking the Dead, so I got to enjoy watching everything fall apart for them just when it seemed like they were getting back on track. I used to post on both the L.A. Guns forum (well, briefly) and some general glam metal forums, and all the drama between both the fans and the band members in all of the threads about them really wore me down after a while. :(

I have Sebastian's discography up until Angel Down (which was an incredibly powerful album), you're right there that after that his voice has been going downhill and I prefer not to listen to any of his newer works. It's still him and he's easily recognizable, but there's just too great of an odd squeal there which sounds very immature, probably as a result of alcohol and whatsoever — it fits his personality though. I am actually glad that there are people on this forum with their musical preferences in the eighties and early nineties.

^Yes, I've got most of his work up to Angel Down as well. There are some decent songs on Angel Down, but I can't say it had anything on the same level as the classic Skid Row tracks. He really needs someone to help him with lyrics, because he just can't do it on his own. He's always been a great performer, but songwriting is really not his strength, and I think somewhere inside he must know that at this point.

I actually liked the song Tunnel Vision from the album after it quite a bit, but that's about all I remember from it. He still sounds okay on some of his studio work (the cover he did of Dokken's Alone Again sounds pretty good, IMO), but some of the live footage I saw of him a few years ago was pretty brutal. It's weird that his speaking voice has changed so dramatically as well.

How old are you if you're friends with Phil, if I may ask? 

I'm only 26, but I've been going L.A. Guns shows since 2002 (Tracii was still in the band, but it was right before he left them to join Brides of Destruction).  L.A. Guns play where near where I live a lot, and after meeting them after their shows so many times, you just sort of become friends.  Phil is a super nice guy and very friendly person, even if he doesn't know you.  I have met Tracii a lot, too, but he has a bit of an ego compare to a lot of guys from the glam metal scene that I'm friends with or have met.  The only glam metal artists I have met that were "worst" than Tracii were Vince Neil and Bret Micheals, but not for the same reason I didn't care for Tracii. 

Regarding Sebastian Bach, he is such a good looking guy after all of these years.  I am really disappointed with how his voice has gotten a little worn out over the last several years, but it still a lot better than some people like Don Dokken's.  I would adore a Skid Row reunion, but since Bach is a huge jerk (to put it politely) from when I have met him and what I have heard from Sabo and Bolan about Bach, I don't think a reunion will ever happened or at least anytime soon.