CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #16: What do you think of 'Engrish' in Japanese music?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #16  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of 'Engrish' in Japanese music?

• It's awesome, there should be more of it! (â?¿â? â?¿â? )
    • It's nice to hear from time to time. (â??â?¿â?¿â??)
    • I don't pay much attention to it, so it doesn't bother me either way. ¯\_(ã??)_/¯
    • It's not that great at all. I RARELY enjoy it. (â??â?¸â?¼â?¶)
    • Dafuq is this shit? Japanese people should stick to singing in Japanese. ã?½à¼¼ ಠç??ಠ ༽ï¾?

"It's nice to hear from time to time. (─‿‿─) "

pretty much just that, I don't stress about it as much as some people... unless it's like really terrible XD

I usually don't care and most times they're great for making parody/misheard lyrics.

But in one particular case, I was annoyed when Dir en Grey forced English version of "Glass Skin" and "Dozing Green" on Uroboros. Even the Japanese release!

Which is strange considering they included remastered versions of both songs with Japanese lyrics on the bonus disc of the limited and deluxe editions anyways. It would've been nice if, at least for the Japanese release, they included the Japanese lyric versions and included the Engrish versions as a bonus. Maybe I would feel different if the songs were originally released in English, but after hearing them in Japanese the English just sounds awkward and I end up skipping those tracks. Which kind of sucks if you like listening from the physical CD.

I too find entire songs sung in Engrish to be annoying when not well done. 

For example, lynch. - I don't know where I am.

I love the song, but I just can't really get into it when Hazuki is trying his dardnest to sing passionately in badly pronounced English. He sings like he's still singing in Japanese so the English comes out muddled and silly. In a different song it might be okay, but, darn, I just really like this song.

So in this case, the bad English, IMO, really plays against the song.

imo:

Can you why soul Oh my melty dance
It's so eat day calling fire house
Oh my tore nail see not loot they
Demo matter shoud tell they Mid night mountain
Comon all right

To be honest, after talking to vocalists, I know that is exactly what many do. I tell them "don't do that. It's so bad" but short of translating for them it won't get any better.

Interesting. Did they tell you why this obsession for engrish tho? I'm really curious to hear why they feel obligated to put a certain amount of random -or not- words in their songs (like the GazettE for example; and surely others but it's the first example that crossed my mind tbh).

I do hope that they're not that stupid, they can hear that they sing like shit in english lmao.

to be honest only Prince yuuki can pull it off and maybe yuki (lusthoe.)

anyway i think english should be used like like this and really add to the song

I realized that I didn't really mind it when I was first getting into Japanese music, but over the years I've become progressively opposed to it. I'm not sure why that's changed for me, but in general, I'd prefer to hear Japanese when listening to Japanese music. These days, there are very few cases where I don't mind it, but a few random interjections of Engrish? Sure. Entire songs of poorly pronounced, borderline unintelligible Engrish? I'd rather not.

Interesting. Do they told you why this obsession for engrish tho? I'm really curious to hear why they feel obligated to put a certain amount of random -or not- words in their songs (like the GazettE for example; and surely others but it's the first example that crossed my mind tbh).

I do hope that they're not that stupid, they can hear that they sing like shit in english lmao.

From what I understand, many Japanese people simply think English is "cool".

Interesting. Did they tell you why this obsession for engrish tho? I'm really curious to hear why they feel obligated to put a certain amount of random -or not- words in their songs (like the GazettE for example; and surely others but it's the first example that crossed my mind tbh).

My friend in a metal band's lyrics are completely in English and so me and my friends have helped them out. I told him that he could just have the lyrics in Japanese and he said no, he wanted his band to be global. I can respect that. More of the world speaks or understands English than they do Japanese. Of course the singer himself probably wants English lyrics for the "because it's cool" reason.

As for the VK guys...nah. I don't really ask because normally I'm just shooting the shit at flyer distribute.

But I know the answer is most likely what CAT5 said:

From what I understand, many Japanese people simply think English is "cool".

I'm conflicted here, too. I picked the fourth option just because with most Japanese vocalists I've heard it sounds silly although it is dreadfully entertaining. There are a few that can use English fairly well and hearing English/rish from those kinds of vocalists entertains me.

Yukari's English in BAISER's "Metamorphosis" in particular I enjoy (also props to him for breaking the chain of songs named "Metamorphose"): youtu.be/8gMOCKEG824

I think Engrish is kind of luck the uncanny valley for me. It's fine if it is so bad I can barely recognize it as English, and it's fine if it is clear and understandable, but that middle ground where it sounds like they are trying so hard and failing miserably is the part that drives me nuts.

Yes, that.

Nonsensical random Engrish is funny, but a whole song of it is just annoying.  And in that vein, I don't much care for all English songs period, even if it is good.

I prefer listening to them singing in japanese, since I love the language and how it sounds, but when lyrics are in english I can understand what they are saying without looking for translation. The only bad thing about they singing in english is that some singers have serious pronnounce issues.

I find Engrish to be rather comical... Sometimes it can fit in a pop/rock song if done properly but most of what you find, especially in visual kei, is quite hilarious. It doesn't bug me like it used to, just makes me giggle.