Original Saku

The Upcoming Video Game Discussion Topic

I personally have zero interest in Watch Dogs, but kudos to Ubisoft for using a black protagonist in a major game... even if his face is so obscured that it's kind of hard to tell.

A certain segment of the internet is really upset about it, though. *roll eyes*

I don't even really care that the protag is black, I'm more interested in the San Fransisco setting with the tech centric vibes the area brings with it and the troll/meme/internet imagery and vibe they've gone with dedsec this time around... really caught my eye. I hope there's not as much shooting in this one as well, or at least if I don't want to go guns blazing I hope there are more options this time around.

22 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Well dual audio hasn't been announced yet but it could be included, Square has been doing dual audio on a lot of their games lately so.... but to be totally honest the English voices from that trailer are not the worst I've heard. They are not teribad or anything, a few really annoying ones here and there but overall it seems that it's at least bearable and includes somewhat of a decent effort.

Oh no yeah I've for sure heard worse too! I am still looking forward to it despite what I say and even saying "WAS"  lol I just don't like most of the voices. There were a few that were not bad at all really! My main issues with it are the adult voices they gave characters that are not even adults and the really annoying voice they gave the male protag.

I'm just really picky when it comes to voice acting.

Edited by ArtFart

Deus ex: Mankind Divided 17 minute gameplay demo with Developer Commentary

Jesus... I need this game now, thank god it's only a few months away... I hope it doesn't get a delay (again), Probably my most anticipated game right now for 2016 :)

I was pretty disappointed with their pre-E3 announcement for Deus Ex. Gah dammit Square shoving mini games up on our asses. Why not just give us a full game with a decent story instead of this filler crap? I think it's time we get a remake of the first Deus Ex game. That retro polygon graphics and dated gameplay makes it real difficult to play.

But other than that, I'm very excited for Mankind Divided. Probably the only game worth the pre-order on my list.

Edited by Flame-X

24 minutes ago, Flame-X said:

I was pretty disappointed with their pre-E3 announcement for Deus Ex. Gah dammit Square shoving mini games up on our asses. Why not just give us a full game with a decent story instead of this filler crap? I think it's time we get a remake for the first Deus Ex game. That retro polygon graphics and dated gameplay makes it real difficult to play.

But other than that, I'm very excited for Mankind Divided. Probably the only game worth the pre-order on my list.

mini games? what mini games?

A remaster of the original deus ex would be wonderful, now a remake? no thank you... I don't want them touching that masterpiece.

4 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

A remaster of the original deus ex would be wonderful, now a remake? no thank you... I don't want them touching that masterpiece.

I dare you to replay the original right now and see how well it holds up.

I'll be waiting on your report. ^_^

Edited by Flame-X

4 hours ago, Flame-X said:

I dare you to replay the original right now and see how well it holds up.

I'll be waiting on your report. ^_^

Actually beat you to it already, played it late last year when GOG was doing a deal on the bundle... it holds up. Although I didn't complete my playthrough yet, I think I might restart it with the DX Revision mod/overhaul before mankind divided comes out... I just need to find the time.

I really don't think the game needs a full on remake honestly, the original is a masterpiece but suffers from dated mechanics and tech, a remaster would work perfectly... something along the lines of upgraded textures and models with revamped mechanics with quality of life changes would do just nicely in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, if Edios Montreal were to announce a remake at E3 next week I would be hype and stoked for it, but I would also be very afraid for them because remaking such an influential game like that is just inherently scary I believe.... like the pressure on them would be huge!

I'm shuffling my favourite Koda Kumi songs right now, getting HYPE for E3 press conferences today.

Even though yesterday's EA & Bethesda announcements didn't appeal to me at all. Not surprising, since EA really focused on multiplayer (and, bizarrely, weed), and every Bethesda game was first-person.

I'm most hopeful for a South Park showing at Ubisoft, and whatever Sony has up their sleeve. Hopefully not too much VR talk. (I don't see how they could possible top last year's fanboy-wish-fulfillment trio of FF7 Remake/Last Guardian/Shenmue)

Didn't The Last Guardian's copyright recently expire again or something? lmao

8 minutes ago, peffy said:

I'm shuffling my favourite Koda Kumi songs right now

...... you can't be real lol

God I was just listening to BOYFRIEND.

Honestly I'm more excited for WWDC today. I needz a new Mac.

Hopefully SE does well during their showing.

9 hours ago, Tokage said:

Didn't The Last Guardian's copyright recently expire again or something? lmao

I googled this for you, and the last time it expired was Feb 2015, which was 4 months before they re-announced it.

9 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

...... you can't be real lol

God I was just listening to BOYFRIEND.

Honestly I'm more excited for WWDC today. I needz a new Mac.

Hopefully SE does well during their showing.

Lol, BOY FRIEND was actually one of the songs I listened to, haha

SE does not have a conference, but so far they have only shown a single boss battle in FF15 at the XBox show and it didn't look great... (a battle against Titan that was mostly Noctis poking ineffectively at Titan's hand.. it was weird)

Sony's conference was weird, they showed a lot of games but did very little talking, and it was fairly short. Really strange dubstep FF15 trailer, with some sort of VR portion where you play as Prompto shooting guns in first person??? Horizon looks really good, just don't know if I'd like it. Maybe I'll play Detroit. Zero interest in the zombie game Days Gone. .. oh yeah, Resident Evil 7 was announced, but I also don't care about that. Lol @ the Crash Bandicoot announcement.

Maybe the weirdest thing was the God of War reboot, which almost looked like Souls/Bloodborne combat.. (but with QTEs?)

No wait, the weirdest thing was the trailer for Kojima's new game.

...Vita got ZERO mentions :(

Edited by peffy

3 hours ago, peffy said:

Sony's conference was weird, they showed a lot of games but did very little talking, and it was fairly short. Really strange dubstep FF15 trailer, with some sort of VR portion where you play as Prompto shooting guns in first person??? Horizon looks really good, just don't know if I'd like it. Maybe I'll play Detroit. Zero interest in the zombie game Days Gone. .. oh yeah, Resident Evil 7 was announced, but I also don't care about that. Lol @ the Crash Bandicoot announcement.

Maybe the weirdest thing was the God of War reboot, which almost looked like Souls/Bloodborne combat.. (but with QTEs?)

No wait, the weirdest thing was the trailer for Kojima's new game.

...Vita got ZERO mentions :(

Mpreg Norman Reedus the game......

Sony's conference was a 5/5 conference presentation wise, one of the best E3 press conferences I've seen in all these years I've been watching them, perfect pacing, just game after game, tons of game play and a deemphasis on chatter in between trailers and hardware specific crap. It was quick and to the point while still being epic in proportion and the things that they shouldn't of probably included but did anyways (skylanders and VR) were still executed extremely well in a timely manner that didn't bore us to death.

They nailed it completely and definitely raised the bar for what E3 press conferences should be instead of the train wreck that was EA this year. Plus that orchestra was freaking amazing definitely a nice touch and just blows my mind to think of the experience in house while watching the trailers and then having the orchestra playing the background score to the trailers... like holy shit that had to be bone chilling.

Game revel wise it still doesn't beat last years Sony conference, probably nothing will ever reach the heights of that trifecta, but every single game they showed off was a game I would play if given the chance (even COD and legos) and there wasn't a single trailer that really felt like "uhhhh what the hell is this crap?" or "why are they showing the game off like this?" which always seem to be present at most conferences, their game reveals had really good direction and we didn't get anything close to the fakeness of the Ghost Recon Wildlands game play demo we saw earlier in the day at Ubisoft or the eye rolling face palming bullshit that was EA's "behind the curtain" look at Mass Effect Andromeda and Star Wars... like no thank you EA we actually like the curtain, we don't need to see some artist (who's not a real artist btw *coughactorcough*) sitting at his desk clicking away supposedly making the game. You're just filling time in your trailer so we get to see less of the actual game and more of your bullshit, just show us the damn game!

In comparison Sony killed it with every reveal and left me feeling satisfied at the end. Even Surprised me with a few and almost gave me a heart attack with one in particular.

Good job and Jesus Christ I wonder how they will top this next year...

Watching Sony's conference was like a breath of fresh air after that atrocious Ubishit's press. It seems that Ubishit marketing team and execs are totally outta touch with their key demographics, gamers. So much filler talk from that annoying host. They really need to trim the fat and get straight to the point.

1 hour ago, Flame-X said:

Watching Sony's conference was like a breath of fresh air after that atrocious Ubishit's press. It seems that Ubishit marketing team and execs are totally outta touch with their key demographics, gamers. So much filler talk from that annoying host. They really need to trim the fat and get straight to the point.

You leave Aisha Tyler alone! She got in some great jokes, like making fun of Ubisoft's Frenchiness, amidst all her bad jokes. This was probably her best performance as Ubi host. But I do agree that their conference as a whole was bloated and had way too much talking. I think they wanted to make a point of celebrating their 30th anniversary, especially as they face the threat of hostile takeover from Vivendi. Anyhow, I'm super psyched for South Park, that segment was far too long but the game itself seems great. Perfect timing for them to be poking fun at superhero movies. "Sneak the black guy into phase 3"  i was dying.

7 hours ago, Original Saku said:

there wasn't a single trailer that really felt like "uhhhh what the hell is this crap?" or "why are they showing the game off like this?"

I got that feeling from the FF15 segment. The dubstep music was a mistake (especially when the orchestra was sitting RIGHT THERE), and the VR thing was very WTF. From what they showed at Microsoft & Sony's conferences, I actually got LESS excited to play the game. (but at the same time, I pre-ordered it because of Amazon's E3 promo so fuck me)

7 hours ago, Original Saku said:

Even Surprised me with a few and almost gave me a heart attack with one in particular.

Care to share which games?

I actually would've liked it if Sony had just a little more talking, it helps to segway the trailers. Besides, the conference was so short, they had room for it. For instance, it was very unclear to me where the VR segment ended. There were VR games and suddenly there was COD, but since I wasn't paying full attention, I thought COD was a VR game for a while. (or maybe they made it obvious when I wasn't looking?)

I REALLY hope that Kojima game's just gonna be reskinned/renamed Silent Hills to be honest...

Also lol @ that total P.T. ripoff Resident Evil game

3 hours ago, peffy said:

You leave Aisha Tyler alone! She got in some great jokes, like making fun of Ubisoft's Frenchiness, amidst all her bad jokes. This was probably her best performance as Ubi host. But I do agree that their conference as a whole was bloated and had way too much talking. I think they wanted to make a point of celebrating their 30th anniversary, especially as they face the threat of hostile takeover from Vivendi. Anyhow, I'm super psyched for South Park, that segment was far too long but the game itself seems great. Perfect timing for them to be poking fun at superhero movies. "Sneak the black guy into phase 3"  i was dying.

Ubisoft press conference was actually the second best conference this year imo, and yeah there was some slow/low points but overall their conference had very good vibes which is very important I think. Aisha Tyler is awesome as well, she is probably one of the best things to ever happen to Ubisoft, she is so outgoing and passionate and you can really tell that she cares, I love her.

presentation wise Ubisoft gets a 4/5 from me, the good vibes and just overall cheerfulness of their conference was a great reminder that you don't always have to do serious stuff at these things. Games wise it was a bit weaker... they showed off a lot of great games that I'm super hyped about (For Honor and Steep in particular) but then their was a few that fell flat in both the way they showed them off and just general excitement. more like 2.5-3/5 games wise I would say.

3 hours ago, peffy said:

I got that feeling from the FF15 segment. The dubstep music was a mistake (especially when the orchestra was sitting RIGHT THERE), and the VR thing was very WTF. From what they showed at Microsoft & Sony's conferences, I actually got LESS excited to play the game. (but at the same time, I pre-ordered it because of Amazon's E3 promo so fuck me)

yeah that was a bit weird but I'm trying to look at objectively and from that standpoint the dubstep probably wasn't the worst thing ever. Not to mention a lot of stuff happening in the actual trailer was pretty hype. I at least felt like I saw a lot of new stuff in the trailer that I hadn't seen before from the game, but then again I don't follow the game that heavily because I feel like we've already seen so much of that game that it really doesn't matter at this point.

VR is a love hate thing, you either are super pumped for it or you don't give two shits about it. I'm in the camp that understands it's importance for the future as a technology and a platform but still hold a skepticism at the current form of the tech. with that said I do feel like Sony handled it very well, they showed what games they wanted to in very quick and to the point trailers, nothing too long, and most importantly no strange VR stage demos that look stupid and then moved on from it very quickly like how it should be.

3 hours ago, peffy said:

Care to share which games?

I was really surprised with Kojima's game being their in a trailer format, I did not think that we would get a trailer so that was very surprising. I knew that God of War was gonna be there, but that didn't prepare me for what was to come in that demo, so hype.... btw it's not a reboot, they said in an interview afterward that it's still in the same timeline and everything that happened in the previous game are still canon and that it's just been quite a few years have passed.

Another game that surprised me was Days Gone, it looks great... but most surprising was the tech that was shown off in that gameplay demo at the end of the conference, the little zombie goblin monsters piling over each other scrambling and just destroying everything in their path... like holy shit, that is next gen to me, really impressive tech.

The game that almost gave me a heart attack was Resident Evil 7, not in my wildest dreams did I think it was gonna be there, I had hunches that maybe we would see the Resident Evil 2 remake since it was already announced but never this. The greatest thing about that reveal is that I guarantee that no one in that theater or at home watching the stream had any idea that it was RE until the last few seconds which is genius on their part because that's how you turn heads at E3.

I think a lot of people are gonna be confused though, I've already seen people thinking that RE7 is gonna be first person... no it's not. The demo will be first person, they're essentially doing the P.T. thing that Konami did. VR will be first person. The actual game will be third person over the shoulder like it always has been and that I'm 100% sure of. other than that the demo has me very excited just from a atmosphere standpoint, I can't wait for the true return of RE survival horror :)

57 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

VR is a love hate thing, you either are super pumped for it or you don't give two shits about it. I'm in the camp that understands it's importance for the future as a technology and a platform but still hold a skepticism at the current form of the tech.

Agreed 100%. It's a very cool concept, but I'm pretty sure most games for it are like "play for an hour and never go back to it"

57 minutes ago, Original Saku said:

I knew that God of War was gonna be there, but that didn't prepare me for what was to come in that demo, so hype.... btw it's not a reboot, they said in an interview afterward that it's still in the same timeline and everything that happened in the previous game are still canon and that it's just been quite a few years have passed.

Ah ok, so it's not a "reboot" in terms of story. But it's definitely very different gameplay-wise. At least, that's what I heard people saying. I've only played the first game. Also, they just titled it "God of War" which is the main reason I called it a reboot. I think they should at least stick a subtitle onto that name so there's less confusion..

18 minutes ago, peffy said:

Ah ok, so it's not a "reboot" in terms of story. But it's definitely very different gameplay-wise. At least, that's what I heard people saying. I've only played the first game. Also, they just titled it "God of War" which is the main reason I called it a reboot. I think they should at least stick a subtitle onto that name so there's less confusion..

I believe they worded it as a "rebirth" for the franchise in the interview I saw.

for anyone interested here's the videos for the God of War demo they did last night and the interview they did after the conference.

eh, from all i've seen so far only excited a little about Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. #new games suck